Home Security System with/without monitoring

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dia
Location: a lively twirling planet located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun

Home Security System with/without monitoring

Post by dia » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:12 am

I have read through all the previous postings on Security Systems, but I am still wondering about something. I'm looking at all the security companies and options out there (there are many). Is it possible to get a security system that is self-monitored, but allows the flexibility to turn on professional monitoring at a later date? I am also considering a monitored system through Comcast/Xfinity (all the cameras as well as the ability to open doors remotely etc) but would really prefer to avoid the monthly fees for now if at all possible. I would also consider a self-installed system. For those of you with a professionally-monitored system, are there many false alarms? Anyone using the comcast system?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. It's a bit overwhelming with all the options out there.
What, Me Worry? --Alfred E. Neuman

bluebolt

Re: Home Security System with/without monitoring

Post by bluebolt » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:05 am

I have a Samsung SmartThings smart home hub and it allows you to do this. I would only advise it if you're a DIY/tinkerer person, because otherwise it might be too frustrating.

I have sensors on my doors, windows and garage doors and motion sensors in the house. The system automatically arms itself when I leave the house. If any of the doors/windows are opened or if the motion sensors go off, I get an alert on my phone.

You can also use a professional monitoring system with the SmartThings setup via Scout or ADT. I don't have any experience with these.
https://blog.smartthings.com/news/smart ... onitoring/
https://blog.smartthings.com/news/smart ... dt-canopy/

whomever

Post by whomever » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:46 am

For those of you with a professionally-monitored system, are there many false alarms?
I think it depends (on the system, how it's used, and who uses it), and not all false alarms are the same. For example we had a neighbor who set hers every night, and routinely forgot to disarm it before letting the cat out. That was a high incidence of false alarms, but since she was home to talk to the monitoring agency the police didn't get called, so the consequences were minor.

It depends on how careful the occupants are. Will you have teenagers, say, who forget to close windows when they leave, and then the wind blows the curtains and sets off a motion detector, etc, etc.

We've had them for 30+ years. Our usage pattern is to set it whenever we leave, but not while we're at home (the dog takes over when we're home). We've had the following false alarms:

-two 'teething trouble' alarms (installers set up zoning wrong)
-one where I swung a door closed as I left, and it didn't latch. Subsequently the wind blew it open.
-one time (in a second home) the freeze alarm went off. It turned out the sensor was tripping well above its advertised range

And we had one real alarm - burglars disassembled a window, but left as soon as they entered and tripped a motion detector. That was unfortunate, by luck the police response that time was only a couple of minutes.

Bottom line - in 30 years we've had three caused by defective install/equipment, which don't recur once fixed, one false alarm due to my error, and one true alarm.

dia

Post by dia » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:52 am

"Bottom line - in 30 years we've had three caused by defective install/equipment, which don't recur once fixed, one false alarm due to my error, and one true alarm."

Thank you for sharing your experience. What system do you have?

dia

Post by dia » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:54 am

bluebolt wrote:I have a Samsung SmartThings smart home hub and it allows you to do this. I would only advise it if you're a DIY/tinkerer person, because otherwise it might be too frustrating.

Thank you. I didn't know there was a hybrid system and will look into. I am a DIY person and not intimated by electronics, etc.

Point

Post by Point » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:58 am

We use a LiveWatch.com system that uses an alarm.com backend. Great system, pricing and monitoring. Keyfobs, keypad and remote via phone engaging. Self installed, but they have other options too.

dia

Post by dia » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:00 am

Point wrote:We use a LiveWatch.com system that uses an alarm.com backend. Great system, pricing and monitoring. Keyfobs, keypad and remote via phone engaging. Self installed, but they have other options too.
Thank you, I am reading positive things about the alarm.com technology.

whomever

Post by whomever » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:46 am

What system do you have?
We've had two, both DSC (I don't remember models, and they have no doubt changed).

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:52 am

I have an Alarm.com system at a house that I rarely live in. The system was installed by a professional and has an option for monitored or not. In either event you have a robust interface to control it. Works well for me.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:49 am

Did you consider Simplisafe? It too has cameras, completely wireless and monitoring is optional ($14.99 month).
Too soon old, too late smart.

dia

Post by dia » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:47 am

KSOC wrote:Did you consider Simplisafe? It too has cameras, completely wireless and monitoring is optional ($14.99 month).
I didn't realize monitoring was optional with simplisafe. I had read (on bogleheads) that they had a software hacking issue or something so that didn't make me feel "simplisafe." Perhaps that has been remedied by now.

<The irony of hiring a company to keep your stuff safe, and they can't keep their own stuff safe, is disturbing.>

Do you have experience with simplisafe? Will do more research on them--everything and everyone in cyberspace is vulnerable I imagine--thank you.

MikeZ

Post by MikeZ » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:24 am

So my house was build with a DSC alarm system installed but never used.

When I purchased I left the system alone and did not use. We were broken into while we slept upstairs with no idea it happened until the police knocked on our door at 2am to say the found the person.

Since then I went ahead and browsed a few DIY alarm forums and got the system working. That said, I use it unmonitored because I only care about one scenario--an audible alarm when we are asleep and someone tried to break in. In my mind, everything else is basically a protection of our property and that's why I have homeowners insurance.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:03 am

MikeZ wrote:So my house was build with a DSC alarm system installed but never used.

When I purchased I left the system alone and did not use. We were broken into while we slept upstairs with no idea it happened until the police knocked on our door at 2am to say the found the person.

Since then I went ahead and browsed a few DIY alarm forums and got the system working. That said, I use it unmonitored because I only care about one scenario--an audible alarm when we are asleep and someone tried to break in. In my mind, everything else is basically a protection of our property and that's why I have homeowners insurance.
Exactly - I want it to make intruders aware I am awake & encourage them to leave. Stuff is stuff, life is life. I do like monitoring as well, as the smoke detectors are monitored too.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:08 am

dia wrote:
KSOC wrote:Did you consider Simplisafe? It too has cameras, completely wireless and monitoring is optional ($14.99 month).
I didn't realize monitoring was optional with simplisafe. I had read (on bogleheads) that they had a software hacking issue or something so that didn't make me feel "simplisafe." Perhaps that has been remedied by now.

<The irony of hiring a company to keep your stuff safe, and they can't keep their own stuff safe, is disturbing.>

Do you have experience with simplisafe? Will do more research on them--everything and everyone in cyberspace is vulnerable I imagine--thank you.
I have had it for about 3 years. My ADT system was inadequate (3 entry points, landline, $36 a month) so now every single entry point is covered (18 points, cellular, $14.99 a month). Have had daytime burglaries in my area. Start up cost was about $450. And if I move I take it all with. No wires.

AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:56 am

I too have been thinking about a HSS. SimpliSafe seems intriguing, mostly for the DIY aspect. For those who have SS, how does the system perform without subscription to home monitoring? Can you still use the app and view cameras, etc.? Website says that subscription is not required, but I have not seen much information related how to interact with the system remotely if no subscription.

dia

Post by dia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:21 am

AllMostThere wrote:I too have been thinking about a HSS. SimpliSafe seems intriguing, mostly for the DIY aspect. For those who have SS, how does the system perform without subscription to home monitoring? Can you still use the app and view cameras, etc.? Website says that subscription is not required, but I have not seen much information related how to interact with the system remotely if no subscription.
There is so much out there it's crazy and every system I read about has a bunch of good reviews and a bunch of horrid reviews. I was leery of Simplisafe due to the ability to hack it (if you know what you are doing) but it doesn't seem that anyone has actually been hacked but there are you tubes showing how easy it is to do if you have are tech savvy I guess. The pricing and optional monitoring is attractive. I want to be able to add to it as well, especially outdoor cameras which SS doesn't support at this time.

Another intriguing one is smartthings (which one of the posters on this thread mentioned) and I understand there is an option to add monitoring via Scout. There's too many systems out there--each having different strengths and weaknesses. The research has been taking me a LOT of time--the more I do the more confused I get.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:47 am

dia wrote:
AllMostThere wrote:I too have been thinking about a HSS. SimpliSafe seems intriguing, mostly for the DIY aspect. For those who have SS, how does the system perform without subscription to home monitoring? Can you still use the app and view cameras, etc.? Website says that subscription is not required, but I have not seen much information related how to interact with the system remotely if no subscription.
There is so much out there it's crazy and every system I read about has a bunch of good reviews and a bunch of horrid reviews. I was leery of Simplisafe due to the ability to hack it (if you know what you are doing) but it doesn't seem that anyone has actually been hacked but there are you tubes showing how easy it is to do if you have are tech savvy I guess. The pricing and optional monitoring is attractive. I want to be able to add to it as well, especially outdoor cameras which SS doesn't support at this time.

Another intriguing one is smartthings (which one of the posters on this thread mentioned) and I understand there is an option to add monitoring via Scout. There's too many systems out there--each having different strengths and weaknesses. The research has been taking me a LOT of time--the more I do the more confused I get.
I read about the hacking and have very little concern. Burglar needs to know what system out of thousands you have in your home. Don't advertise it with window and yard signs. Also saw a video of a man unplugging the base & taking out the batteries in 10 seconds. Really? My base is hidden, purple base light turned off. Go ahead and try to find it before the alarm goes off, then steal my stuff. Thats the alarm in "Away" mode. Time's a wasting. Lastly, at night, in "Home" mode, as soon as entry point is breached the alarm siren sounds. This mode is used when everyone is in at night and locked up. I have this mode adjusted to activate immediately.

fandango

Post by fandango » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:15 am

I pay $179 per year for monitoring and get a $200 discount on my home insurance policy for having a monitored system. Check to see if you can get a discount from your insurance policy.

We have only had one false alarm in 10 years. I was in Mexico, and my wife left the house to walk the dog and forgot to deactivate the system.

My concern would be using Comcast/Xfinity. I have a bundle package with them and reliability/service has been poor. I would use another provider if one was available.

Doug E. Dee

Post by Doug E. Dee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:28 am

I use a Vista panel and installed an EyezOn InvisaLink communicator.

You can self-monitor or pay a service.

dia

Post by dia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Doug E. Dee wrote:I use a Vista panel and installed an EyezOn InvisaLink communicator.

How do you like it? Work well ?

Doug E. Dee

Post by Doug E. Dee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:50 pm

dia wrote:How do you like it? Work well ?
Works great, I get a text within seconds of an alarm. It tells you which zone was tripped.

dia

Post by dia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Doug E. Dee wrote:
dia wrote:How do you like it? Work well ?
Works great, I get a text within seconds of an alarm. It tells you which zone was tripped.
Thanks will research this one as well.

dia

Post by dia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:43 pm

fandango wrote:I pay $179 per year for monitoring and get a $200 discount on my home insurance policy for having a monitored system. Check to see if you can get a discount from your insurance policy.

We have only had one false alarm in 10 years. I was in Mexico, and my wife left the house to walk the dog and forgot to deactivate the system.

My concern would be using Comcast/Xfinity. I have a bundle package with them and reliability/service has been poor. I would use another provider if one was available.
What system do you have ?

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Doug E. Dee wrote:I use a Vista panel and installed an EyezOn InvisaLink communicator.

I have the same. Self installed. I'm happy with it.

Tried and true old school technology.

It is a system that can easily be upgraded with central station monitoring via internet, cell, landline. Can be expanded with wireless sensors, fobs, lots of zones, partitioning, custom triggers, links to home control / light systems...
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

RCL

Post by RCL » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:47 pm

I have a question about the Simplisafe system. I have read that it is only available with a T-mobile or Verizon cellular service.
Are they talking about the phone home feature, or does the base communicate with the sensors using those cellular services.
I assume the sensors are communicating via wifi, but have not seen any documentation to support this assumption. I don't plan on having a paid service on this system, and just want to make sure the sensors will be able to communicate with the base unit.

Also, with no monitoring service, will I be able to add the sensors via the keypad or will I have to set up an account on-line in order to add sensors?
It Is Best To Consult Others Before Taking Unusual Actions

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:36 am

dia wrote:It's a bit overwhelming with all the options out there.
It's always overwhelming with any topic if you're considering every possible option out there. Make sure you're filtering with your specific needs/wants, budget, etc. For example, you state that you don't want monitoring (or the ability to add monitoring later) but you're considering Comcast? Comcast should have been ruled out already.

It does sometimes help to see what all is out there and then figure out what you think you need/want but definitely get that sorted out and you'll have a narrowed down list of options.
dia wrote:For those of you with a professionally-monitored system, are there many false alarms?
Keep in mind that professionally installed alarm are not all identical. Installations are not all identical. These and more factors have potential impacts on the frequency of false alarms.

FWIW I have FrontPoint (Alarm.com) which is self installed and professionally monitored. We have had a few false alarms but they are rare. One was due to a recessed door sensor that I didn't quite install properly so it had some play and triggered open while the system was armed. We have a couple of glassbreak sensors that listen for the sound of glass shattering and they have false alarmed in response to certain loud noises that were not due to glass shattering.
dia wrote:There is so much out there it's crazy and every system I read about has a bunch of good reviews and a bunch of horrid reviews.
For any topic you really have to look at and compare trends versus specific reviews. It's a bit trickier with alarm systems from what I recall when I did my research but I picked FronPoint because there were a lot of reviews with the majority being very positive. They aren't the cheapest -- especially for the level of monitoring I subscribed to but their customer service is excellent as reviews tend to indicate.
dia wrote:I want to be able to add to it as well, especially outdoor cameras which SS doesn't support at this time.
Unless things drastically changed in the past couple of years I wouldn't recommend FrontPoint for cameras. I went with Nest but switched to Arlo Pros earlier this year since I needed a fully wireless system for our specific situation. FrontPoint's cameras just didn't work that well or have the features and benefits of Nest, Arlo and similar systems.
RCL wrote:I have a question about the Simplisafe system. I have read that it is only available with a T-mobile or Verizon cellular service.
Are they talking about the phone home feature, or does the base communicate with the sensors using those cellular services.
http://simplisafe.com/wireless-home-sec ... e-overview
With SimpliSafe there is no phoneline to cut.

Your wireless security system will arrive with built-in cellular technology to send your
alarm signals to our 24/7 Live Monitoring center. No Phoneline, No Internet connection
needed. Alarm monitoring just $14.99/month.
You don't sign up for the cellular service -- it's included with monitoring. I can't find text to quote but it doesn't make sense for sensors to use cellular connectivity. This sort of arrangement with sensors using a lower power connectivity tech to integrate the system and a cellular connection for monitoring is typical with many alarm systems.

dia

Post by dia » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:13 am

I was going to put in a do-it-yourself system, but I have decided to have a local alarm company swing by and take a look at the older wired system (Ademco, now Honewell) I have now (that I never activated) and see what can be done. Hate to reinvent the wheel since it is already wired up. I understand they can tie into it somehow and update it, and as a result will have a monthly monitoring cost.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:45 am

Installed Simplisafe last month. Happy with the results. In addition to window, door, motion, glass break sensors for intrusion detection we can also use the system to monitor fire/smoke and water in 3 places (kitchen, laundry room, water heater in attic).

Be aware that to have 24x7 monitoring and access to the fully featured interface on the phone app and the web app you must pay $25 per month. Simplisafe can alternatively and less expensively be used with just the key fob based app and monitoring for $15 a month but the user interface on the key fob software is so buggy and clunky that I cannot recommend it.

Simplisafe can also be used standalone with no monitoring (at $0 monthly cost) with just your siren blaring (for up to max of 8 minutes) when triggered.

Most home insurance will provide sufficient discount to mostly cover monitoring so 24x7 monitoring seems a no brainier especially if you have the fire and water/flood detectors in addition to intrusion detection.

In terms of the Simplisafe hacking issue, in the area we live no self respecting drug addled thief is going to have the smarts, patience, or the technology to defeat the system (even if they know what we were using). We use generic security system yard signs as everyone should.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:09 am

dia wrote:I was going to put in a do-it-yourself system, but I have decided to have a local alarm company swing by and take a look at the older wired system (Ademco, now Honewell) I have now (that I never activated) and see what can be done. Hate to reinvent the wheel since it is already wired up. I understand they can tie into it somehow and update it, and as a result will have a monthly monitoring cost.
There are pretty good solutions either professionally or DIY installed to repurpose the old ADT solutions. I had a 20 year old ADT hardwired system that I connected a set of wireless translators to from Resolution Products (RE108) to convert all the old sensors onto modern GE compatible wireless sensors (installed right next to the old panel in the basement)

Those sensors can then be used with any of the GE compatible systems. I have a Qolsys IQ panel, only marginally recommend that system, they have a new one that appears to be much better, this stuff is evolving fast...

Anyway if you are handy, a site like SuretyDIY.com can get you all the equipment you need and they have an excellent forum for support even if you don't buy monitoring from them. As a DIY/Hacker type, i have had relatively good success that way. Although from a time-value of money perspective, a professional would have been a lot cheaper! -;

dia

Post by dia » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:26 am

retiringwhen wrote: Anyway if you are handy, a site like SuretyDIY.com can get you all the equipment you need and they have an excellent forum for support even if you don't buy monitoring from them. As a DIY/Hacker type, i have had relatively good success that way. Although from a time-value of money perspective, a professional would have been a lot cheaper! -;
Just checked out that site. It's great--they even have many helpful videos ...

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:16 am

I have a SmartThings but its a bit of a "toy" - ok for monitoring temperatures etc, but some of the sensors (particularly motion) and their connectivity to hub are flakey. I don't believe it can underpin an insurance requirement.
For proper security and insurance purposes (burglary, fire) have a DSC system and that seems robust although not particularly user friendly.

dia

Post by dia » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:27 pm

Dudley wrote:I have a SmartThings but its a bit of a "toy" - ok for monitoring temperatures etc, but some of the sensors (particularly motion) and their connectivity to hub are flakey. I don't believe it can underpin an insurance requirement.
For proper security and insurance purposes (burglary, fire) have a DSC system and that seems robust although not particularly user friendly.
I was tempted to try smart things as I can be a technology freak but decided for home security it prob makes more sense to stick with the tried and true monitored system that I have that hopefully can be made into a hybrid type using my already wired sensors. We'll see what I am quoted to enhance it and add monitoring.

Student2

Post by Student2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:10 am

I have also been researching this lately and I came across a very useful website, https://www.vueville.com/. It belongs to a fellow who is very much DIY and seems to have a sophisticated system, including use of closed circuit cameras that record to a personal NAS which he accesses remotely. For anyone considering the DIY route, he provides good reviews of equipment, especially on the cameras. Most valuable to me, he also provides details about how he set up the system. I am considering copying some of it.

I am not affiliated with the site, but I found it useful as I consider solutions for home security.

allwin

Post by allwin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:03 pm

I've been using Abode (goabode.com) for last one year and I'm very happy with their unmonitored service and on demand monitoring when I need it. It also supports a bunch of other third party smart home devices (smart locks, lights, garage openers, Nest) which is a huge plus for me.

You can also set automation rules (e.g. turn on away mode when everyone leaves or turn off home security and open the garage when the first family members comes back). I've found these to be extremely useful, otherwise I used to always forget to turn on away mode when leaving the house.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Basically, you can call any monitoring company and use them, drop them, etc. At least that was the case in the past. Different companies charge different monthly fees, of course.

Tim

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:31 pm

MikeZ wrote:So my house was build with a DSC alarm system installed but never used.

We have 20 year old DSC system that was installed during home construction that is currently not monitored and we don't even use other than a door chime. Years ago I used to work for an alarm installation and monitoring company. We don't have a high crime area so I eventually dropped my home alarm monitoring.

I'm assuming the OP doesn't have a system that installed during construction. The advantage of such systems is they often run lines to all points of entry - all windows and doors and maybe a motion detector. Systems put in after construction would typically run lines to the doors and have a motion detector.

I am sure the technology has changed quite a bit since I worked there 13+'years ago. As to false alarms, yes somewhere around 95% of alarms that are called into police are false alarms.

dia

Post by dia » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:58 am

allwin wrote:I've been using Abode (goabode.com) for last one year and I'm very happy with their unmonitored service and on demand monitoring when I need it. It also supports a bunch of other third party smart home devices (smart locks, lights, garage openers, Nest) which is a huge plus for me.

You can also set automation rules (e.g. turn on away mode when everyone leaves or turn off home security and open the garage when the first family members comes back). I've found these to be extremely useful, otherwise I used to always forget to turn on away mode when leaving the house.
Thanks I will look up abode and check into it. I like the on-demand monitoring option. I have an old wired system that I am getting quotes to upgrade, but it seems that the upgrade cost is pretty close to a new wireless system cost, plus with my wired system, I am looking at $50/month for monitoring with a 3-yr commitment. Not too keen on the 3-yr hold on me.

dia

Post by dia » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:04 pm

JBTX wrote: I'm assuming the OP doesn't have a system that installed during construction. The advantage of such systems is they often run lines to all points of entry - all windows and doors and maybe a motion detector. Systems put in after construction would typically run lines to the doors and have a motion detector.

I am sure the technology has changed quite a bit since I worked there 13+'years ago. As to false alarms, yes somewhere around 95% of alarms that are called into police are false alarms.
I do have a wired system with the house, I assume it was put in at build by the original owners (I never activated it when I bought the house). I like the reliability (so I'm told) of the wired system, but the cost to upgrade it, coupled with the 3- year monitoring commitment of $50/month doesn't thrill me. For the price of the upgraded equipment they connect into the old panel, plus making it cell phone friendly, brings the cost about where a new wireless system is without all the committment. Still evaluating wired vs wireless though.

cjhud32

Post by cjhud32 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:49 pm

I have had a management position in this industry for over eight years now. Feel free to send me a private message for more detail. Some good advice above that I've read through here, but some incorrect advice as well. To answer the initial question, you would not be able to find a security system that has the capability of just turning monitoring on and off in the exact way you were seeking.

Technically speaking, if you are paying a company to monitor you, you can disconnect the communication method which in turn would leave you with the noisemaker and no monitoring as you requested. But you are already paying for the monthly monitoring at that point and your company isn't going to say that since you disconnected your communication you aren't required to pay.

You can purchase equipment that utilizes alarm.com (alarm.com is not a type of system, think of it as a service). Alarm.com does not monitor the system but provides interactive features. You can find a dealer who monitors alarm.com, but once again going back to your initial question, there's no magic switch that allows you to control monitoring when you want.

allwin

Post by allwin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:57 pm

cjhud32 wrote:but once again going back to your initial question, there's no magic switch that allows you to control monitoring when you want.
Not sure if you meant in general or for a specific company. But, Abode actually allows you to just do that -- turn on or off monitoring with your phone or web app whenever you want. I've used this feature for a while now.

dia

Post by dia » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:20 pm

allwin wrote:
Not sure if you meant in general or for a specific company. But, Abode actually allows you to just do that -- turn on or off monitoring with your phone or web app whenever you want. I've used this feature for a while now.
Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for and I didn't think it existed. Thank you.