Alternatives to Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
azurekep

Alternatives to Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player

Post by azurekep »

One of my prized possessions is my Sansa Clip+ portable MP3 player, which I got on Amazon for about $35. It's been discontinued, though it can still be had for about $100.00. I bought a spare when it was in the $60's, but am thinking about what to use when the current and spare die out.

Has anyone tried any of the later Sansa Clips? As I recall, they have names like Sansa Jam and Sansa Sport, etc. I've heard none of them equal the Clip+, but are they actually "bad"?

And is SanDisk pretty much the only option these days for dedicated portable MP3 players?

(Note: I'm not looking for anything smart-phone related or multifunction.)
Dottie57

Re: Alternatives to Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player

Post by Dottie57 »

azurekep wrote:One of my prized possessions is my Sansa Clip+ portable MP3 player, which I got on Amazon for about $35. It's been discontinued, though it can still be had for about $100.00. I bought a spare when it was in the $60's, but am thinking about what to use when the current and spare die out.

Has anyone tried any of the later Sansa Clips? As I recall, they have names like Sansa Jam and Sansa Sport, etc. I've heard none of them equal the Clip+, but are they actually "bad"?

And is SanDisk pretty much the only option these days for dedicated portable MP3 players?

(Note: I'm not looking for anything smart-phone related or multifunction.)

Ipod nano. Ipod shuffle.

Post by 123 »

I'm a big fan of the Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player as well. I've had mine over 5 years and it works great. It just seems to be the perfect device for what it has to do. While I may migrate to the smartphone option when mine dies it's great to be able to download to it and just let it go on and on. No concerns about having a data signal, wifi, or anything (including a phone call - horrors!) to interrupt what you're listening to. One feature I really like is that it has a slot for an microSD card as well so you've got more memory options and you can have different audio libraries on different microSD cards.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

Dottie57 wrote:

Ipod nano. Ipod shuffle.
Okay, a couple or three questions...

1. Do those players work with straight MP3? I don't use any proprietary formats and don't use MP4/M4A (though the latter can be converted to MP3s.)

2. Can the MP3 files be sideloaded onto the player from a Linux or Windows computer using a USB cable?

3. Is there any special software needed? Currently, I don't use any special software. I just transfer files directly from the computer hard drive to the player.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Me too. I have used it for audiobooks for at least 7 years, takes a beating and keeps working. When looking the reviews for the newer models they all seem to not work as well the old one at least for audiobooks. Before the Sansa Clip I tried the ipod but its was too restrictive as to what could be uploaded and never could figure out how to use the controls.
Topic Author
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

123 wrote:No concerns about having a data signal, wifi, or anything (including a phone call - horrors!) to interrupt what you're listening to.
Yup. The trend these days, even with household appliances, is for everything to be connected to the internet/phone and to be multifunction. I like having an offline player with a single function, and that does that single function well. Along with being tiny and having a handy clip to use when working out.
One feature I really like is that it has a slot for an microSD card as well so you've got more memory options and you can have different audio libraries on different microSD cards.
It is a great feature. That's how I initially sideloaded my large collection of MP3s, but now I just use the USB cable.
Last edited by azurekep on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

Ricola wrote:Me too. I have used it for audiobooks for at least 7 years, takes a beating and keeps working. When looking the reviews for the newer models they all seem to not work as well the old one at least for audiobooks. Before the Sansa Clip I tried the ipod but its was too restrictive as to what could be uploaded and never could figure out how to use the controls.
Do you remember in what way the ipod was restrictive? Did it exclude basic MP3 files and/or files not purchased through Apple?
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

azurekep wrote:
Ricola wrote:Me too. I have used it for audiobooks for at least 7 years, takes a beating and keeps working. When looking the reviews for the newer models they all seem to not work as well the old one at least for audiobooks. Before the Sansa Clip I tried the ipod but its was too restrictive as to what could be uploaded and never could figure out how to use the controls.
Do you remember in what way the ipod was restrictive? Did it exclude basic MP3 files and/or files not purchased through Apple?
The Sansa clip was an open file platform, it could be uploaded from my pc and would play every kind of file including the Apple format. As I recall the ipod could only upload through the convoluted Apple program which alone wrecked havoc on my pc. Have never owned an Apple product since then.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Ricola wrote:
azurekep wrote:
The Sansa clip was an open file platform, it could be uploaded from my pc and would play every kind of file including the Apple format. As I recall the ipod could only upload through the convoluted Apple program which alone wrecked havoc on my pc. Have never owned an Apple product since then.
Yes, you are right. You need to use the Windows itunes program to load an ipod. No loading from the side. No tweaking etc. but I fiind everything quite functional. I've stopped spending weekends trying to diagnose computer problems when i moved to apple ecosystem.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Here's a link to bestbuy.com with sansa clip that show some options at $35, $49 and $59:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage. ... &keys=keys
Wiki
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

DSInvestor wrote:Here's a link to bestbuy.com with sansa clip that show some options at $35, $49 and $59:
I looked at the manual for the Sansa Jam and it said the only books it would accept are Audible.
Topic Author
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

Dottie57 wrote:
Ricola wrote:
Yes, you are right. You need to use the Windows itunes program to load an ipod. No loading from the side. No tweaking etc. but I fiind everything quite functional. I've stopped spending weekends trying to diagnose computer problems when i moved to apple ecosystem.
Too bad about the iPod. It doesn't surprise me though.
Topic Author
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

Ricola wrote:
DSInvestor wrote:Here's a link to bestbuy.com with sansa clip that show some options at $35, $49 and $59:
I looked at the manual for the Sansa Jam and it said the only books it would accept are Audible.
An article on the Sandisk site does offer one way out. It says:
Audiobooks downloaded in MP3 format or Audiobooks ripped from CDs can be used with your Sansa.
The Clip Sports, Clip Jam and Clip Zip are referred to in the article, so it may cover all of them.

But look at what somebody on the Sandisk forum wrote about the Clip Jam and audiobooks:
Also, it cuts off book titles so that, in many cases, I literally am not allowed to see which part of a multi-file book should come first. For my current book split into three parts, I watch for a gut-wrenchingly long time as the title plods past at a snail's pace, and when it finally gets to the end, it says Part - and then it starts over, so I still don't know if it's Part 1, Part 2 or Part 3. Moreover, I can only see that much of the title after I'm already listening to the book - while scrolling up or down the list, it always, always, always blanks out and stops scrolling long before I 've seen most of the title. How am I supposed to read the entire title?
It's sad to see such poor design, especially when the Clip+ was perfect.
Polymath

Post by Polymath »

I recently bought a SanDisk Clip Sport Plus. Does the job and no messy apple SW to deal with. I agree with the immediate above however, it can make reading long titles difficult. I use it for running and mostly music/podcasts so not a big issue for me.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

I am not familiar with these but I repurpose our old Android phones for my kids to use as media players.
Topic Author
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

Polymath wrote:I recently bought a SanDisk Clip Sport Plus. Does the job and no messy apple SW to deal with. I agree with the immediate above however, it can make reading long titles difficult. I use it for running and mostly music/podcasts so not a big issue for me.
I'll consider getting one of these for music/podcasts, assuming the price is cheap enough.

For audiobooks, as long as they're properly tagged, the reading of long titles isn't really an issue (it's just poor design). For the Clip+ at least, the book will proceed in order of Album, Title, Track, regardless of whether the titles are viewable or not.

If you've listened to an audiobook on the Sport, are there any other negatives? In the forum post linked to earlier, another complaint about the Jam was this:
but the Jam has a bizarre feature - when I use the forward or back button, I'm tossed into a new book!
It's hard to tell if that's how the Jam actually works, or if the settings were just set up improperly. In any case, I'm curious how it works on the Sport.
ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks »

Go to eBay and search for "mp3 player." You'll get a huge number of hits for non-name brand devices. Nearly all of them require a separate memory card. Which one is best? Splurge and spend a total of $10 for the three most likely ones.
Polymath

Post by Polymath »

azurekep wrote: If you've listened to an audiobook on the Sport, are there any other negatives? In the forum post linked to earlier, another complaint about the Jam was this:
but the Jam has a bizarre feature - when I use the forward or back button, I'm tossed into a new book!
It's hard to tell if that's how the Jam actually works, or if the settings were just set up improperly. In any case, I'm curious how it works on the Sport.
For me, I can either hold down the FWD button and it skips in track ahead 10-15 sec at a time or if you press once it skips to the next file. Exactly as I'd expect it to work. So no complaints there. I have listened to books as well but all in Mp3 format, not Audible so might be a difference there?
Topic Author
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

Polymath wrote:
azurekep wrote: If you've listened to an audiobook on the Sport, are there any other negatives? In the forum post linked to earlier, another complaint about the Jam was this:
For me, I can either hold down the FWD button and it skips in track ahead 10-15 sec at a time or if you press once it skips to the next file. Exactly as I'd expect it to work. So no complaints there. I have listened to books as well but all in Mp3 format, not Audible so might be a difference there?
Thanks for the reply on this. Looking good...

One more question: Can you bookmark your place in an audiobook? And if you bookmark your place, then go to Music, then back to Audiobooks, is the bookmark still there? I read that in some models, you lose your place in a book if you go to Music and back.
bberris

Post by bberris »

Ricola wrote:
It's an mp3 player. It will play books or rap on mp3. There is no music detector.
neuro84

Post by neuro84 »

I've enjoyed my Sansa Clip Jam, which I have owned for about a year now. It has played any MP3 file I put into it. I have not tried playing audiobooks, but I have converted my favorite podcasts to MP3 without any problems playing them.

Battery life is good, price is right, and drag-and-drop file storage makes it easy to use. I never owned a Clip+, but the Clip Jam is probably the best portable music player I've ever had.
ft2010

Post by ft2010 »

I have had 2 sansa clip+ devices (1 is still in good condition), and recently bought 2 AGPtEK mp3 players as backup. The last one I bought is described here.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4J874E/re ... UTF8&psc=1

It has amazing long battery life (specs says 80 hours), very light weight and you can wear it in a pocket or via included lanyard or get an arm band (if using during jogging/walking). I mainly use the player to listen to mp3 audiobooks from the library, its easy to play the book chapters in the right sequence via the Folder option, has up to 10 bookmarks. Its twice the length of a sansa clip+ but a bit thinner and is eye pleasing. The ear piece came with the device is not good, so be prepared to get your own.
Topic Author
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

ft2010 wrote:I have had 2 sansa clip+ devices (1 is still in good condition), and recently bought 2 AGPtEK mp3 players as backup. The last one I bought is described here.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4J874E/re ... UTF8&psc=1

It has amazing long battery life (specs says 80 hours), very light weight and you can wear it in a pocket or via included lanyard or get an arm band (if using during jogging/walking). I mainly use the player to listen to mp3 audiobooks from the library, its easy to play the book chapters in the right sequence via the Folder option, has up to 10 bookmarks. Its twice the length of a sansa clip+ but a bit thinner and is eye pleasing. The ear piece came with the device is not good, so be prepared to get your own.
That sounds like a good alternative.

it does say "To avoid incompatibility, please use AGPTek Memory Card". Any clue if it works with other brands?
ft2010

Post by ft2010 »

azurekep wrote: it does say "To avoid incompatibility, please use AGPTek Memory Card". Any clue if it works with other brands?
I think they all say that. No, I myself have not used a memory card in these devices. I only use them to listen to books downloaded from library.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Dottie57 wrote:Ipod nano. Ipod shuffle.
If you go this route do it quick. Apple is discontinuing these 2 products. They will continue to sell the Touch.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
Topic Author
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

ft2010 wrote:
azurekep wrote: it does say "To avoid incompatibility, please use AGPTek Memory Card". Any clue if it works with other brands?
I think they all say that. No, I myself have not used a memory card in these devices. I only use them to listen to books downloaded from library.
Thanks. I'm going to grab one of those AGPTek players. $28.00 is dirt cheap.

I just read that the battery shelf life of MP3 players (and probably cell phones, etc.) is limited, even when the devices are not in use. So I'm starting to use my backup Sansa Clip (it was kept unopened in it's box.) And I'll use the AGPTek once I get it. I may eventually get a Sansa Sport or Jam as well. The plan would be to rotate through the different players, get a sense of their individual strengths and weaknesses, and even out the load on the batteries. These things are so inexpensive, might as well...
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

alex_686 wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:Ipod nano. Ipod shuffle.
If you go this route do it quick. Apple is discontinuing these 2 products. They will continue to sell the Touch.
Am going to best buy today to see if I can pick one up. Mostly for the radio.
peskypesky

Post by peskypesky »

I've had a Clip+ for many years, and it has been a great little device.

That being said, I recently bought a Benjie S5b and it is great. Small, lightweight, great sound, bluetooth....and very cheap!

Caveat: if you want Bluetooth, make sure you don't order the old model S5.

Here's a link to the Benjie S5b:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origina ... 4a604cf8af
Topic Author
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

peskypesky wrote:I've had a Clip+ for many years, and it has been a great little device.

That being said, I recently bought a Benjie S5b and it is great. Small, lightweight, great sound, bluetooth....and very cheap!

Caveat: if you want Bluetooth, make sure you don't order the old model S5.

Here's a link to the Benjie S5b:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origina ... 4a604cf8af
I had a little trouble with that link, but this one worked:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat ... Benjie+S5b

Great price: $25-26
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

I would get bluetooth headphones to connect to your computer or phone. MP3 Players are becoming extinct.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I am looking for an MP3 player that has speakers and thus can work without headphones. I don't want to use Bluetooth or any other over the air communications. I don't need it to be loud and the sound quality is unimportant, because I will be using it to listen to podcasts rather than music.

Do the Bogleheads have any recommendations?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:59 am I am looking for an MP3 player that has speakers and thus can work without headphones. I don't want to use Bluetooth or any other over the air communications. I don't need it to be loud and the sound quality is unimportant, because I will be using it to listen to podcasts rather than music.

Victoria
I use phones (including old ones which I keep primarily for listening to podcasts) and echo dots. I’m a podcast junkie.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Freefun wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:08 am
VictoriaF wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:59 am I am looking for an MP3 player that has speakers and thus can work without headphones. I don't want to use Bluetooth or any other over the air communications. I don't need it to be loud and the sound quality is unimportant, because I will be using it to listen to podcasts rather than music.

Victoria
I use phones (including old ones which I keep primarily for listening to podcasts) and echo dots. I’m a podcast junkie.
What is "phones"? In this case I am not interested in headphones, because I want to listen to podcasts while I am taking long baths.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:11 am
Freefun wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:08 am I use phones (including old ones which I keep primarily for listening to podcasts) and echo dots. I’m a podcast junkie.
What is "phones"? In this case I am not interested in headphones, because I want to listen to podcasts while I am taking long baths.
Cell Phones.
If you have an iPhone, it most likely has a Podcasts app.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Every Apple device can play mp3’s, and has been able to for at least 15 years.
Watty

Post by Watty »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:11 am What is "phones"?
They were likely referring to a smartphone.

Over time we have replaced smartphones and the old smartphones were low end android phones that have no resale value. These can still be used like a very small tablet to play various types of audio or pretty much anything you could do with a smartphone except make calls. You can still access the internet through WiFi.

My wife uses an old smartphone to play audio books. She uses that instead of her current smartphone so it will not drain the battery and she does not need to worry about damaging it while she is gardening or something. If the old smartphone is damaged it would be no big loss.
Last edited by Watty on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Victoria
Amazon Echo, or one of its brothers or sisters. “Alexa, play the Planet Money podcast.”

Also, my iPhone 6 has good enough speakers for listening to podcasts in the tub.

Sonos will do it too, for (a lot) more money, but you have to control it with your phone.

Pretty much all Bluetooth speakers have a jack to plug a phone or mp3 player into them if you don’t want to mess with the Bluetooth.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:11 amWhat is "phones"? In this case I am not interested in headphones, because I want to listen to podcasts while I am taking long baths.
If you have a laptop, that would work.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:11 am
Freefun wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:08 am

Victoria

Victoria
When I travel I take an old iPhone... sometimes an echo dot.

I take epsom salt baths and have an echo dot next to me which streams perfectly- but for podcasts i use bluetooth from a phone (because the phone has lots of podcasts on it). I do stream stuff through the echo dot. At least once a year the dots have been on sale for $29 each- I buy several and I sometimes take one when traveling (small and versatile- and cheap in case i lose or break it). Can't be 30 bucks.

If you don't want to use bluetooth than tons of phones (apple or android) should do the trick- since they run overcast / downcast / your fav podcast player, can stream and/or download... whatever you like.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:26 am

Victoria
Amazon Echo, or one of its brothers or sisters. “Alexa, play the Planet Money podcast.”

Also, my iPhone 6 has good enough speakers for listening to podcasts in the tub.

Sonos will do it too, for (a lot) more money, but you have to control it with your phone.

Pretty much all Bluetooth speakers have a jack to plug a phone or mp3 player into them if you don’t want to mess with the Bluetooth.
+1

When I travel with an echo dot, I can still stream as I'm using VPN (devices don't work in many countries outside US... my VPN solves that).
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Thank you for all suggestions. Unfortunately, they all belong to the 21st century, whereas I need a 20th century solution.

I never had an iPhone or iPod or iPad.
I have purchased two Android smartphones, one in 2013 and the other in 2017. Both are still in the boxes they arrived in. One day, I will unpack one of them. Or may be I'll buy the third one.

I have several laptops but they all are rather large and I am looking for something more portable that I could carry with me around the apartment.

I don't trust over-the-air communications and don't use WiFi or Bluetooth.

Alexa, in my opinion, is the most dangerous device out there. She has a very trustworthy voice, which makes her even more dangerous.

I have an old Sansa which I use when I am walking or exercising at home. But Sansa does not have external speakers.

Victoria
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:17 pm Thank you for all suggestions. Unfortunately, they all belong to the 21st century, whereas I need a 20th century solution.

I have purchased two Android smartphones, one in 2013 and the other in 2017. Both are still in the boxes they arrived in. One day, I will unpack one of them. Or may be I'll buy the third one.

I have several laptops but they all are rather large and I am looking for something more portable that I could carry with me around the apartment.

Alexa, in my opinion, is the most dangerous device out there. She has a very trustworthy voice, which makes her even more dangerous.

I have an old Sansa which I use when I am walking or exercising at home. But Sansa does not have external speakers.

Victoria
Open up one of he smartphones and use it on WiFi. You won’t be able to use the features that require cell service but podcasts should work fine.

Edit...I missed that you don’t do WiFi, either. I can’t really help, then, except either reassure or scare you by saying that properly configured WiFi is every bit as safe as wired internet. Same with cell service. A laptop is more dangerous than a cell phone, because it has a larger attack surface. An older laptop, even more so.
Last edited by quantAndHold on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:45 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:17 pm Thank you for all suggestions. Unfortunately, they all belong to the 21st century, whereas I need a 20th century solution.

Victoria
Open up one of he smartphones and use it on WiFi. You won’t be able to use the features that require cell service but podcasts should work fine.
I don't use WiFi. Investigating how to use WiFi securely in on my to-do list, along with opening smartphone boxes.

Victoria
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Sorry, I missed that you don’t do WiFi, either. I can’t really help, then, except either reassure or scare you by saying that properly configured WiFi is every bit as safe as wired internet. Same with cell service. A laptop is more dangerous than a cell phone, because it has a larger attack surface. An older laptop, even more so.

Modern WiFi routers generally come properly configured right out of the box.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Here is your 20th century solution just buy a $10 speaker and connect it to your Sansa using the same jack you use now for headphones.

Here is an example from Walmart for $8.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HMDX-HX-P130 ... 3=&veh=sem
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:59 pm Sorry, I missed that you don’t do WiFi, either. I can’t really help, then, except either reassure or scare you by saying that properly configured WiFi is every bit as safe as wired internet. Same with cell service. A laptop is more dangerous than a cell phone, because it has a larger attack surface. An older laptop, even more so.

Modern WiFi routers generally come properly configured right out of the box.
Thank you for the suggestion.

I have a degree in cybersecurity and have read enough about it to know that nothing is safe. Unfortunately, my work was more theoretical and management, and my hands-on skills are dismal. Fortunately, I am capable of investigating technical solutions and implementing them as needed. Unfortunately, right now I have other priorities and WiFi and smartphone are much lower on the list.

Victoria
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Victoria, if you don't have WiFi in your apartment, how do you connect your computer to the internet? I'm assuming that you access Bogleheads from your apartment.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:17 pm I never had an iPhone or iPod or iPad.

Uhm, okay. Your cybersecurity expertise seems dated, but we each make our own choices and set our own priorities.

If you are wireless-phobic then you should search for "wired speaker 3.5mm". You can easily fine one for less than $20.
It would take the place of your earbuds on your Sansa.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Lynette wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:59 pm Victoria, if you don't have WiFi in your apartment, how do you connect your computer to the internet? I'm assuming that you access Bogleheads from your apartment.
Hi Lynette,

I use an Ethernet cable to connect laptops to the router, which in turn is connected to my ISP.

Victoria
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:22 am
VictoriaF wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:17 pm I never had an iPhone or iPod or iPad.

Uhm, okay. Your cybersecurity expertise seems dated, but we each make our own choices and set our own priorities.

If you are wireless-phobic then you should search for "wired speaker 3.5mm". You can easily fine one for less than $20.
It would take the place of your earbuds on your Sansa.
Look in Amazon for portable Bluetooth speakers and check that they have a 3.5 mm aux input port. Many do.