Commuters (that drive), what do you listen to?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mirror

Commuters (that drive), what do you listen to?

Post by mirror » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:36 pm

I will be starting a new job soon that will be ~35-40min commute. I haven't commuted in several years and technology and available content have changed quite a bit.

I am curious what other commuters listen to on their drives (both the service and the content). Services such as Pandora and Spotify offer premium accounts, are they worth it? My local library has an online app that allows one to download and listen to books/music etc. When I was younger I would just listen to music, but I would rather take the time to learn something or improve in some way rather than mindlessly listen to music. Don't get me wrong I love music and listen to quite a bit, but I just feel like there is a better way to spend my commute.

bottlecap

Re: Commuters (that drive), what do you listen to?

Post by bottlecap » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:38 pm

I usually listen to the news on satellite radio.

JT

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:42 pm

My commute is 4 minutes long. I catch a tiny bit of news on the way in. Then music to relax on the way home. I really should ride my bike more but I'm usually running late.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Podcasts and/or NPR. I don't like to listen to audiobooks in traffic. I either get too absorbed in the book and miss my exit, or I'm too distracted by traffic and miss a crucial part of the book.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:45 pm

The local classical music station (unless they play something post-1900).

When I had my longest commute, 1 hour each direction, fortunately it was a reverse commute. The "other direction" probably took almost twice as long.
It helped that I could watch that traffic crawl, as I drove along at a nice clip.

But it was the peaceful classical music that made the commute time really a calm time of day, both directions.
(Unless there was ice on the road :shock: )

I still keep that music on, even for short drives.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:48 pm

When I had a long commute, I mostly listened to audiobooks. In the pre-Audible era, I used to buy used audiobooks from the local used book store, listen to them, and sell them back. The second time around, Audible was a thing, and I listened that way (MUCH easier, and safer since you aren't tempted to try to change tapes or CDs in traffic)

I would generally alternate between educational / learning audiobooks and fiction / entertainment type books, with a bias toward things that help you stay awake and alert.

Big Dutch

Post by Big Dutch » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:49 pm

100% recommend Audiobooks on the Audible phone app. Overdrive is a free app that you could also use; I haven't used it but have several friends who recommend it.

I have a ~30 commute each way = 1 hour per day = 20 hours a month. Add in some additional listening time during workouts, runs, etc. and I can get through a pretty solid book each month. Before audio books I had to choose between keeping up on the news or actually reading a book. Now I get both! It's given me the opportunity to read a wide variety of literature that I otherwise would never have time for. Best $15 I spend most months.

~Big Dutch

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:49 pm

My commute is 5 minutes long and my drive home usually coincides with the start of Mad Money. So I have Cramer yelling at me the whole way home.

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:51 pm

mirror wrote:My local library has an online app that allows one to download and listen to books/music etc. When I was younger I would just listen to music, but I would rather take the time to learn something or improve in some way rather than mindlessly listen to music.
I like audio books and podcasts, splitting it up about 1/3 news, 1/3 fiction, and 1/3 non-fiction. I find I can only do light to medium stuff. Heavy stuff requires more concentration that I can give when commuting.

For news podcasts I will point you to The Economist magazine. A subscription to the magazine will get access to their podcast which is the entire magazine in podcast form. I like that they give slightly more depth than NPR.

Great Courses is another option. You should be able to get copies from your library. They claim college level learning but it is more cocktail level. You get a good feel for subject. Their series on music works particularly well.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:57 pm

I like Bloomberg Surveillance in the morning. It's usually macro, and almost never has fund managers talking their book.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:57 pm

I listen to continuing education CDs (they come as podcasts but I haven't converted yet) for my profession,although I find these work best for a longer drive of a few hours, even though each CD is only one hour. I need to get education credit so this is easier than spending time reading journals.

For music, classical I think you cannot beat KDFC.com, a Bay area all classical station.They have great live announcers, it is not a pretentious station, and the mix is not "heavy" , they seem to know how to do it. Go to their website KDFC.com, they have an app. Nonprofit, totally member supported.

For lighter music, CDs of my choice, but I think the free Pandora would be great, I use it when exercising.

I tried foreign languages (Pimsleur) involving a lot of concentration and repetition, they distracted from my driving and wore me out so stopped.

I think audio books would be great also, especially the ones that are nonfiction. I don't think I would want to be absorbed in an exciting novel while driving. Surprising how one's attention can become distracted even though you are "looking" down the road.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Podcasts. I use Overcast.
The Daily
Freakanomics
Tim Ferris
Etc...

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm

I listen to NPR or downloaded podcasts of shows. Sometimes though this causes me to drive around the block a couple times just to listen to the end of a show. For longer jaunts, I get a book on CD.

llama

Post by llama » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:08 pm

I'll listen to baseball if there's a game on in the evening. Otherwise, NPR (if I'm coming home late enough, Marketplace is on). If NPR is boring I'll tune to the classical station.

3spots

Post by 3spots » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:18 pm

35-40 min is considered a long commute, lol... I wish. I was commuting 2 hours one way -- glad that is over.

in any case, i never liked books on tape, but I love Audible. I discovered I could not listen to any business books, or any educational books (my preference) as I either missed traffic or the book -- but I could do fiction. I don't normally gravitate to fiction, but I have enjoyed all the books and greatly broadened my reading list.

Hillbilly Elegy right now.

runner540

Post by runner540 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Rupert wrote:Podcasts and/or NPR. I don't like to listen to audiobooks in traffic. I either get too absorbed in the book and miss my exit, or I'm too distracted by traffic and miss a crucial part of the book.
+1
I look forward to Monday mornings when a couple of my podcasts post new episodes.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:30 pm

I take advantage of my Amazon Prime account and listen to the Prime Music App, which integrates perfectly through Android Auto within my vehicles head unit.

I always listen to music mindlessly so that I can concentrate on driving, there is enough other people on the road concentrating on stuff other than driving that I don't need to be one more. If I were not in heavy traffic I would be willing to listen to more enlightening content.
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Back when I was doing a 1.5 hour car commute each way, I listened to the books of the major religions (Bible, Koran, Mahabarata, Budhist texts, book of Mormon, etc.) that took a good year then I went to trying to learn Mandarin. For that I started with the Pimsluer series and then went on to Chinese Pod.

simmias

Post by simmias » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:24 pm

NPR and sports radio.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Sports Radio - no sides to take and no shouting on each other

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Podcasts - Planet Money, PBS Newshour, Fresh Air, Car Talk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, America's Test Kitchen, Milk Street with Christopher Kimball (cooking).
Wiki

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:25 pm

NPR, or what ever my public radio station is broadcasting (Science Friday, Market Place, 1A, etc).

Several years ago, when the freeway near my home was under repair/construction, I tried doing interactive Spanish lessons (Pimsleur). I eventually decided that I shouldn't drive distracted, and went back to NPR.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:13 am

podcasts on various topics (personal finance, sports, technology, mysteries, news)
audio books (just started Trevor Noah's Born a Crime)
sports talk on radio/XM
music on radio/XM/phone

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:16 am

When I am driving,
I am streaming either Pandora or
Amazon Prime Music
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:22 am

3spots wrote:35-40 min is considered a long commute, lol... I wish. I was commuting 2 hours one way -- glad that is over.

in any case, i never liked books on tape, but I love Audible. I discovered I could not listen to any business books, or any educational books (my preference) as I either missed traffic or the book -- but I could do fiction. I don't normally gravitate to fiction, but I have enjoyed all the books and greatly broadened my reading list.

Hillbilly Elegy right now.
I tune into the following and switch stations

Local Sports Talk Radio on AM dial
Local News/Politics Talk Radio on AM dial
Local Finance/Investment Talk Radio on AM dial
Local music station of choice on FM dial

These are all available in my geographical area without subscribing to sirius, etc.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:30 am

Well, since I'm a member of the Bogleheads Retirement Class of 2017, I don't commute anymore. But when I do get out driving around on various errands, I listen to my iPod playing out through my truck radio/cassette player (yep, it's official, I'm old) playing various podcasts from NPR, usually either "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" or "NPR Politics". (I used to listen to some investment podcasts, but as time went by I realized I wasn't getting anything from them that was as good or better than what I was getting from the Bogleheads, so I stopped.)
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:33 am

DSInvestor wrote:Podcasts - Planet Money, PBS Newshour, Fresh Air, Car Talk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, America's Test Kitchen, Milk Street with Christopher Kimball (cooking).
I also used to listen to Car Talk every week, but when Tommy died and they shut the show down and went to straight re-runs, I couldn't bring myself to listen, just too sad.
:(
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:36 am

mirror wrote:I will be starting a new job soon that will be ~35-40min commute.
[...]
When I was younger I would just listen to music, but I would rather take the time to learn something or improve in some way rather than mindlessly listen to music.
Will you be driving, or riding mass transit? The trouble with trying to learn something while commuting is that you frequently need to concentrate on the material, and that's dangerous while driving. Be safe.

HMPlac

Post by HMPlac » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:47 am

I drive about 45 minutes each way everyday.
Monday-Thursday= NPR
Fridy= Heavy Metal

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:03 am

mirror wrote:I would rather take the time to learn something or improve in some way rather than mindlessly listen to music.
I'm with you here - I try to stay current on the news, mostly using NPR One for that since it's on-demand but also very regularly updated. I also like podcasts, my current favorite is probably Planet Money, with others like All Songs Considered, Freakanomics, 99 Percent Invisible, and Criminal all getting regular play. I also just finished The History of Rome (~160 episodes, produced about 5 years ago) and I really liked that one.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:43 am

Terrestrial radio. Rock and roll stations with good morning shows.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:46 am

Coffeehouse on Sirius when commuting and now retired it's still on. Probably a waste of a hundred a year.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:56 am

I don't commute but for 30 minute drives to pick up the grandkids, my current listening preference is Grateful Dead live cuts off of my I Pod. Of course, once I pick up the grandkids, I listen to her stuff(she's 3).
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

moghopper

Post by moghopper » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:14 am

mirror wrote: I am curious what other commuters listen to on their drives (both the service and the content).

I used to listen to a number of Podcasts, but they started to bore me. I've been going through books on Audible now.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:24 am

My commute can be an hour in the morning, unfortunately, and I listen to a variety of things to make it a little more bearable:

Built-in car radio:
The acoustic Coffee House and CNBC on Sirius (and CNN when there is breaking news)
The local NPR station on FM HD

iPhone with Bluetooth:
Audible audiobooks (also the daily WSJ) on the Audible app
Public library audiobooks on the Overdrive app
Amazon Music Unlimited
Podcasts on the Apple app - including the WSJ's Your Money Matters
midareff wrote:Coffeehouse on Sirius when commuting and now retired it's still on. Probably a waste of a hundred a year.
Last edited by CardinalRule on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:27 am

I would go for audio books or podcasts for the easy parts of your commute and music (or nothing) for when you need to concentrate on your driving. Audible is great for selection but can get pricey after a while. Most US public libraries have audio books for free download through Overdrive and or OneClick.

Finance-MD

Post by Finance-MD » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:48 am

Personal finance Podcasts:
Favorite - afford anything
Others: stacking benjamins, radical personal finance

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:54 am

Mostly NPR programming: ATC, Morning Edition, Marketplace. Evening repeats of 1-A.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:55 am

I download MP3 podcasts to listen to while walking:
- Freakonomics (NPR)
- TED Radio (NPR)
- Invisibilia (NPR)
- Sam Harris, https://www.samharris.org/podcast

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:59 am

NPR. I listen to it 20 minutes each way, twice a day, three days a week, and suffer two-week withdrawals twice a year during their fundraising campaigns.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Kosmo wrote:Terrestrial radio. Rock and roll stations with good morning shows.
Terrestrial radio -- that's funny.

I do the same. I have a short commute and usually manage to get some good "driving songs" on FM. No need for anything fancier unless going on a driving trip.

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:47 pm

Driving Xcountry so just stocked up on podcasts

This American Life
Freakonomics
Planet Money
Masters in Business
Hidden Brain
Econtalk

edit: checking out 99percentinvisible and https://radio.economist.com/
Last edited by boglerdude on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:01 pm

Usually one of:

Slacker Radio
Audible books
Radio Paradise

Occasionally the local NPR affiliate, but my timing is often poor and they're doing a pledge drive, in which case I turn it off.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Usually NPR or BBC World Service news; occasionally an audiobook or SiriusXM’s FirstWave channel.

Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:03 am

NPR local station, NPR One, or my favorite podcasts (also mostly NPR). Once in a while switch to favorite music CDs.
"Cost matters". "Stay the course". "Press on, regardless". ― John C. Bogle

h82goslw

Post by h82goslw » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:31 am

I average 3 hours of driving per work day. I've listened to Howard Stern on Sirius (and terrestrial before that) for years and love him. Makes my commute bearable....there have been times I was laughing so hard I needed to pull off the road.
When there's reruns I listen to podcasts of Clark Howard or tune in to NPR.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 am

I used to commute 2-3 hrs a day for over 15 years. With me music got old very quickly. I needed variety. So I would listen to NPR, podcasts, and most importantly Books on Tape. Back then they were audio cassettes, then CDs, and now just MP3. I spent nothing on these books as my local library had a great collection (thanks to a war veteran who left I think about $2million to just for audio books. He used them for a few years while he was hospitalized).

cheapskate

Post by cheapskate » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:43 am

Bloomberg Surveillance
Marketplace (Kai Ryssdal)
Make me smart - Kai Ryssdal and Molly Wood
Marketplace Morning Report (David Brancaccio)
Boomberg Benchmark
FT news

I am never bored or frustrated stuck in traffic with these on. I am better informed and entertained. Tom Keene and Kai Ryssdal are always engaging and often very funny.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:30 pm

h82goslw wrote:I average 3 hours of driving per work day. I've listened to Howard Stern on Sirius (and terrestrial before that) for years and love him. Makes my commute bearable....there have been times I was laughing so hard I needed to pull off the road.
When there's reruns I listen to podcasts of Clark Howard or tune in to NPR.
+1

wmackey

Post by wmackey » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:14 pm

I have ~ hour and 20 minutes each way. Keep satellite radio on Jimmy Buffet. You just can't get road rage listening to buffet.