Commuters (that drive), what do you listen to?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Will do good

Re: Commuters (that drive), what do you listen to?

Post by Will do good » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:48 pm

NPR and Audio books.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:30 pm

ResearchMed wrote:The local classical music station (unless they play something post-1900).

When I had my longest commute, 1 hour each direction, fortunately it was a reverse commute. The "other direction" probably took almost twice as long.
It helped that I could watch that traffic crawl, as I drove along at a nice clip.

But it was the peaceful classical music that made the commute time really a calm time of day, both directions.
(Unless there was ice on the road :shock: )

I still keep that music on, even for short drives.

RM
+1. Classical, at low volume, can be soothing background noise for a long commute. Anything else is too distracting. (Around town or in stop&go traffic, I don't generally listen to anything.)

But! on a long drive on good wide long straight divided roads with no worries about oncoming drivers and deer bolting from roadside bushes, might clear out the cobweb by turning up classic rock or heavy metal.

Late Friday night, had a following driver pass and swerve in front of me immediately after the on ramp to get onto a 4-lane divided road---was still in the merge lane. With no oncoming traffic, caught him in my peripheral vision and instinctively slowed down so avoided being too close when he swerved back over in front of me before straightening up. Happened so fast I didn't get his license plate number; guess someone else will have to catch him. Have added "following drivers" to my list of irrational creatures, along with deer.

I'm certain not listening to the radio at the time (night, wet 2-lane road from previous rain, curves, hills, deer warning) helped my situational awareness so helped avoid an accident.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:22 pm

I always listen to NPR when commuting during the morning and evening rush, otherwise various NPR podcasts or the local classical station.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:34 pm

I listen to the Bible. youversion.com is free and has Android and ios apps. The law of Moses is an incredible document. The prophets and epistles are amazing as well.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Currently running through the Death, Sex & Money podcasts - started on the originals from 2014, and now listening to episodes from 2016.

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:18 pm

NPR. Usually, All Things Considered or Marketplace syncs up with my commute.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:19 pm

I usually listen to EWTN, or some other praise and worship tunes. I also have the Divine Office podcast. I'll throw in some George Strait Pandora on a Friday afternoon.

If the weather is nice and I can drive with the windows down, sometimes I'll just turn the radio off and philosophize with myself. You can't beat that windows down feeling. (It's 100 degrees right now, so I'm feeling a little nostalgic.)

cheapskate

Post by cheapskate » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:23 pm

dratkinson wrote:
Late Friday night, had a following driver pass and swerve in front of me immediately after the on ramp to get onto a 4-lane divided road---was still in the merge lane. With no oncoming traffic, caught him in my peripheral vision and instinctively slowed down so avoided being too close when he swerved back over in front of me before straightening up. Happened so fast I didn't get his license plate number; guess someone else will have to catch him. Have added "following drivers" to my list of irrational creatures, along with deer.

I'm certain not listening to the radio at the time (night, wet 2-lane road from previous rain, curves, hills, deer warning) helped my situational awareness so helped avoid an accident.
OT. But install a dashcam on your car. Preferably one which can connect to your phone over wifi (with a dashcam app) so you can view and download the videos to your phone.

It helps in exactly situations like you describe. In the unfortunate event that a situation like the above led to an accident, you would have proof of what happened.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:14 am

^^^ Was thinking the same thing at the time, and wished I had a dash cam.

Coincidentally this dash cam review updated 26 July 2017: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

weedf16

Post by weedf16 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:46 am

I have 2 hours in the car everyday.

For me its Rush Limbaugh via podcast.
:sharebeer

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:15 am

dratkinson wrote:^^^ Was thinking the same thing at the time, and wished I had a dash cam.

Coincidentally this dash cam review updated 26 July 2017: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/
I have the dashcam they picked. It's solid overall.

Oh, and I listen to NPR and sometimes music on my phone via bluetooth.