How is U-Haul for getting a trailer hitch?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

How is U-Haul for getting a trailer hitch?

Post by CULater » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Looks like U-Haul has the hitch I'm interested in putting on a new 2017 Honda CRV and reasonably priced, about $275 for hitch and wiring installed. Honda dealer wants about $700-$800 for same. Wondering if these guys are any good and I should trust them to put a hitch on a brand new pristine vehicle? Has anybody had a hitch installed by U-Haul?
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Rupert

Re: How is U-Haul for getting a trailer hitch?

Post by Rupert » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:22 pm

I have. They probably install more trailer hitches than anybody else. They did a great job on my van, which was also brand new and pristine at the time.

Dwayne

Post by Dwayne » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:34 pm

A local U-Haul shop installed a hitch on my Jeep about 8 years ago. The job was properly done for a fair price. I'm sure it depends on the skill of the particular mechanic doing the work.

If you happen to be in the Omaha, Nebraska area, I can recommend a better place to have a hitch installed.

Also, be sure to keep the warranty paperwork for the installation. My hitch came with a "no-rust" warranty. I took it back six years later and they installed a new hitch to replace the old one which was showing lots of rust. The rust wasn't U-Haul's fault, they installed a name brand hitch and it just rusted over time. They didn't argue for a moment about replacing it.

Dwayne

retire57

Post by retire57 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Did a great job on our SUV about 10 years ago. Including a brake hook-up for a travel trailer.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:04 pm

As with Dwayne, I could recommend a better shop in Grand Rapids, Michigan but U-Haul will do a good job at a reasonable price.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Both dealer service shops and OEM parts distribution tend to both be high overhead businesses. OEM hitches seem often to be a bit more refined in their design, particularly the way they connect to the frame, and the volumes aren't very high. All that contributes to high labor costs and high part costs.

The major aftermarket hitch manufacturers, on the other hand, produce a very high volume of similar designs, with relative simple mounts. Resulting part costs are low. The hitch for my Outback was about $150 for parts. A large number of shops compete for the business of installing hitches, so the labor rates are pretty reasonable. Uhaul in particular does a lot of these, so their installers have the experience to put them on pretty quickly. I don't think Uhaul worries about having much markup on them, because what they ultimately want is to rent you a trailer any time you want to move something big.

So if the local labor costs aren't too high, I think $275 sounds like a price that can be done profitably without cutting corners. They probably won't route the wiring permanently outside for that price, though. For vehicles that aren't used for towing often it's common to tuck the wiring harness somewhere out of the way in the trunk, such as with the spare tire, and just pull it out and shut the trunk on it when needed.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:36 pm

CULater wrote:Looks like U-Haul has the hitch I'm interested in putting on a new 2017 Honda CRV and reasonably priced, about $275 for hitch and wiring installed. Honda dealer wants about $700-$800 for same. Wondering if these guys are any good and I should trust them to put a hitch on a brand new pristine vehicle? Has anybody had a hitch installed by U-Haul?
will it void your vehicle warranty?

and, do you have a transmission cooler?

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Consider doing it yourself if you're interested - it's not hard. See: https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2017_Honda_CR-V.htm
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny. "You gotta fight for your right to party!" -Beastie Boys

SirRunsabit

Post by SirRunsabit » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:24 pm

They did a fabulous job on my Scion XB. I agree it has to do with volume, those guys knew the trailer business.
Hi!

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Make sure you get one new, may try to slip you a used one. And the installer should be experienced, don't trust a new employee. I've dealt with them and it really depends on the shop and crew but it should be fine.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Rupert wrote:I have. They probably install more trailer hitches than anybody else. They did a great job on my van, which was also brand new and pristine at the time.

+1

cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 pm

I've used U Haul before to install a trailer hitch. No issues...reasonable price, gave me everything I needed to tow. Would definitely recommend!

Investtoski

Post by Investtoski » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:26 pm

I opted for the OEM/dealer hitch ~10 years ago and regret doing so. It rusted within a few years and there was no recourse. It was at this point I learned that had I gone with U-haul, they have the no-rust warranty Dwayne noted which would have served me well given winter road salt. If you go with U-Haul, double check if you need to pay a few extra dollars for the rust coverage. If you do, it is probably worth it if you will have the car a while.

Texflier

Post by Texflier » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:31 pm

I have had U-Haul install 2 hitch receivers. One on a Ford Expedition and another on a Toyota Highlander. Both performed well over 12+ total years. Mostly U-Haul trailers within the appropriate weight range for vehicle and class receiver.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:44 pm

F150HD wrote:
CULater wrote:Looks like U-Haul has the hitch I'm interested in putting on a new 2017 Honda CRV and reasonably priced, about $275 for hitch and wiring installed. Honda dealer wants about $700-$800 for same. Wondering if these guys are any good and I should trust them to put a hitch on a brand new pristine vehicle? Has anybody had a hitch installed by U-Haul?

Warranty is not an issue unless the manufacturer can demonstrate the hitch caused whatever failure they're challenging the warranty coverage of.

It should be fine for infrequent towing without a transmission cooler unless they're doing long drives near the rated load in the mountains. The OP does need to keep in mind that the CR-V's 1500 lb towing capacity is fairly small. A typical small trailer uses up over 500 pounds of that capacity just from its own weight.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:28 am

I would tend more towards finding a discounted source for the OEM hitch and installing it myself. However, if you're not so inclined, U-Haul is a great way to go. They build quality stuff, and their installers are experienced.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:51 am

CULater wrote:Looks like U-Haul has the hitch I'm interested in putting on a new 2017 Honda CRV and reasonably priced, about $275 for hitch and wiring installed. Honda dealer wants about $700-$800 for same. Wondering if these guys are any good and I should trust them[....]
I would recommend splitting the difference. Have the dealer install the OEM trailer wiring harness and/or transmission cooler, and have the hitch receiver itself done at U-Haul. I've repeatedly found U-Haul's wiring kits to be insufficient for more than one winter season. The OEM wiring tends to be 100% trouble free and worth the premium IMHO.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:30 am

I've installed a lot of hitches myself. When selling a trailer, my buyer arrived with a U-Haul installed hitch and wiring. He hooked up the trailer and none of the lights worked. I took a look and U-Haul had not connected the ground wire. I finished their work for them and the lights all worked.

So be sure to check their work. In particular, don't depend on the hitch/ball to provide a ground connection because that isn't going to be reliable.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:09 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
F150HD wrote:

Warranty is not an issue unless the manufacturer can demonstrate the hitch caused whatever failure they're challenging the warranty coverage of.

It should be fine for infrequent towing without a transmission cooler unless they're doing long drives near the rated load in the mountains. The OP does need to keep in mind that the CR-V's 1500 lb towing capacity is fairly small. A typical small trailer uses up over 500 pounds of that capacity just from its own weight.
I have seen hitches void vehicle warranties.

OP did not state in their original post what kind of towing they were doing.

Griffeycom

Post by Griffeycom » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:19 am

I would get an OEM here:

https://www.handa-accessories.com/crv17.html

and DIY.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:32 am

They are fine.

Make sure you have an appointment. And make sure, before you drive off the U-Haul lot that absolutely all lights are working properly - both without a trailer hooked up, and with a trailer hooked up. We have used them for 3 hitch installs over the years, and the wiring was wonky in one of the installs which required me to go back and badger them non-stop until they got it right. The guy doing the install was over-worked, clearly, and trying to rush to get things done that his service manager was throwing at him. I just stepped in and demanded it was done correctly, and they fixed the wiring so it worked correctly. That was only on one of three installs, as the other two were perfect.

Depending on where you live, you will find some other places in town that also do hitch installs that may even have better hitches and lower prices. So ask around your local area. Folks that have had it done will always be keen on giving recommendations.

You could also do it yourself if you don't mind getting under there and getting dirty. The hardest part is getting the wiring done correctly, but there are tons of online videos for DIY's. I did one myself on a Honda Element and had fun doing it.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:55 am

Had it installed at U Haul. Later, when we went to rent trailer, we were told it was installed incorrectly. They sent us to a different UHaul place to have it reinstalled before they would give us the trailer. So I guess it depends on who does it.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:28 am

This thread reminded me that I never added a hitch to my wife's Highlander.
I just checked U-Haul rates and it was $224 +tax w/ free shipping, or add $105 for install.
Amazon has the Curt brand hitch plus wiring harness for ~$171 w/ free shipping.
Rust is not a concern for me in the deep south. I can do the install myself, I believe the Highlander requires some slight modification to the lower fascia from what I can tell, I would rather do that myself anyway.
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:45 pm

F150HD wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote: Warranty is not an issue unless the manufacturer can demonstrate the hitch caused whatever failure they're challenging the warranty coverage of.

I have seen hitches void vehicle warranties.

OP did not state in their original post what kind of towing they were doing.
I'm curious what the situations you're referring to were.

If you mean a vehicle not rated for towing had a powertrain warranty coverage denied because it was used for towing, that could void a warranty. If it was simply due to having a hitch mounted, that's questionable at best, as hitches are also used for non-towing activities like mounting bike racks.

If a vehicle rated for towing like the CR-V had a warranty claim refused due to the presence of a hitch without demonstrating the hitch caused the failure in question, the dealer violated a federal regulation:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... aintenance

It's a fair point that a transmission cooler might be wise if they're doing long trips at maximum towing load or in other tough conditions.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:55 pm

TimeRunner wrote:Consider doing it yourself if you're interested - it's not hard. See: https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2017_Honda_CR-V.htm
+1 I installed the OEM Honda reciever on my pilot. If you are only using it for small loads like bike racks or hauling wheeled lawn equipment like a rental wood chipper (i.e. nothing with brakes/lights) then you dont even need the wiring harness. The receiver itself goes in with 6 bolts and a replacement plastic trim piece for the bumper gaurd snaps in - it took me 30 minutes.

The only special tool you need is a 1/2in drive torque wrench. You can probably borrow one from an auto parts store if you dont own.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:38 pm

You could install it yourself. Although the last one I bought didn't fit correctly and was a pain to install, having to get different screws. Would have been easier to let an installer deal with it.

Uhaul has always been fine and usually cheaper than most automotive shops in my experience. It is pretty hard to screw up a hitch install.

CULater

Post by CULater » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:28 pm

I agree that it looks pretty easy to install the hitch itself. I think I could do it myself if I wanted to crawl around under the vehicle. Is there anything wrong with just having U-Haul do the hitch and then maybe I can have the wiring done later if I decide I need it? It looks like these are separate tasks and don't have to be done at the same time, yes? It looks like the wiring is a lot more involved according to the online instructions and maybe I'd have that done by Honda or by a good shop that specializes in hitch installation (if I can find one).
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:59 pm

CULater wrote:I agree that it looks pretty easy to install the hitch itself. I think I could do it myself if I wanted to crawl around under the vehicle. Is there anything wrong with just having U-Haul do the hitch and then maybe I can have the wiring done later if I decide I need it? It looks like these are separate tasks and don't have to be done at the same time, yes? It looks like the wiring is a lot more involved according to the online instructions and maybe I'd have that done by Honda or by a good shop that specializes in hitch installation (if I can find one).
Nothing wrong with paying to have someone install it. Wiring should be plug-and-play. See, for example: https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2017_Honda_CR-V.htm

Get the wiring assuming you be pulling a trailer someday. Being able to rent a utility trailer on-the-fly and know you have a legal, functional setup is well worth the cost.
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny. "You gotta fight for your right to party!" -Beastie Boys

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:13 pm

N1CKV wrote:This thread reminded me that I never added a hitch to my wife's Highlander.
I just checked U-Haul rates and it was $224 +tax w/ free shipping, or add $105 for install.
Amazon has the Curt brand hitch plus wiring harness for ~$171 w/ free shipping.
Rust is not a concern for me in the deep south. I can do the install myself, I believe the Highlander requires some slight modification to the lower fascia from what I can tell, I would rather do that myself anyway.
For buying online, etrailer.com was a better source when I bought mine than Amazon. They also have videos showing the install process for the specific hitch model for most vehicles. For the value of that resource alone I'd be happy to business with them again.
CULater wrote:I agree that it looks pretty easy to install the hitch itself. I think I could do it myself if I wanted to crawl around under the vehicle. Is there anything wrong with just having U-Haul do the hitch and then maybe I can have the wiring done later if I decide I need it? It looks like these are separate tasks and don't have to be done at the same time, yes? It looks like the wiring is a lot more involved according to the online instructions and maybe I'd have that done by Honda or by a good shop that specializes in hitch installation (if I can find one).
You do need functional trailer running lights and signals if you're going to tow legally. I know of people who don't bother and have never had a problem, but the wiring is really not enough hassle in my mind to be worth risking a ticket, getting rear-ended, etc.

I suspect you'll get a better deal if you do the hitch and wiring in one appointment. If you want to let somebody else do the more physically demanding, dirtier part of the work, and then install the wiring yourself, it is usually not complicated at all. It can be moderately tedious getting under or behind whatever trim panels are hiding the wiring you need to access, but if the vehicle has an existing plug hidden away for accessory wiring to connect to, and somebody makes a dedicated harness for it, there's usually not many ways either you or U-haul can screw it up.

ewinter2000

Post by ewinter2000 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:38 am

David Jay wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:04 pm
As with Dwayne, I could recommend a better shop in Grand Rapids, Michigan but U-Haul will do a good job at a reasonable price.
David Jay, what is that shop? I live in GR and am looking to have a hitch put on?
Thanks in advance!

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:22 pm

ewinter2000 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:38 am
David Jay wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:04 pm
David Jay, what is that shop? I live in GR and am looking to have a hitch put on?
Thanks in advance!
“Hitches by George” is a great, independent hitch shop. I have used them for the better part of 30 years.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:49 am

CULater wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:28 pm
I agree that it looks pretty easy to install the hitch itself. I think I could do it myself if I wanted to crawl around under the vehicle. Is there anything wrong with just having U-Haul do the hitch and then maybe I can have the wiring done later if I decide I need it? It looks like these are separate tasks and don't have to be done at the same time, yes? It looks like the wiring is a lot more involved according to the online instructions and maybe I'd have that done by Honda or by a good shop that specializes in hitch installation (if I can find one).
I have a 2015 CRV and did a DIY hitch install. The wiring part was very easy. You have to pop out the left interior quarter panel to access a plug for the trailer wiring connection. Simply plug in the trailer wiring harness and you're set to go. I purchased a wiring kit similar to this - https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Veh ... 56370.html
The hitch was a bit more involved and included cutting out part of a underside cover panel. I purchased a class 3/4 hitch which was overkill for the smaller utility trailer I tow.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:44 pm

We have had U-Haul install hitches on every car we have had for the past 25-30 years, no problems. We use the hitch for bike racks. It is a good hitch at a reasonable price. ANd they do lots of them.

Gasdoc