Cellphone nightmare - please help

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
brak

Cellphone nightmare - please help

Post by brak » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:24 am

I currently use Credo for my cellular phone service. The reception has been terrible (a nightmare in fact in that emergency calls get dropped, etc.), especially but not at all limited to my house, and after going round and round with Credo, trying many fixes, it looks like they may be willing to let me out of my contract. I bought my phone from Credo - it is a CDMA phone, which I believe limits what carriers I can switch to if I want to continue using my phone. Are there carriers you would recommend that use CDMA? Or are there other options that I have that I haven't thought of? Thanks.

Boogieknight

Re: Cellphone nightmare - please help

Post by Boogieknight » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:36 am

CDMA phones use the Verizon and Sprint (CDMA) networks. Start there if you get out of your contract and the phone is unlocked. AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM networks and require GSM phones....

Gray

Post by Gray » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:45 am

Why would you choose such an extremely obscure mobile service when there are so many others available that have vetted service reviews, billing plans, and coverage maps? Visit rootmetrics to see reviews for carrier coverage.

I'll bet they're reselling Sprint service.

keaton

Post by keaton » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:48 am

Depending on what phone you have, some will work on GSM as well. If it's an iPhone 5 and newer, it will have GSM bands for AT&T and T-Mobile MNVO services.

Personally the two I use is Nettalkconnect (t-mobile) and Boom! (Verizon).

Many great MNVO providers out there these days. All depending on your budget and usage.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:50 am

brak wrote:I currently use Credo for my cellular phone service. The reception has been terrible (a nightmare in fact in that emergency calls get dropped, etc.), especially but not at all limited to my house, and after going round and round with Credo, trying many fixes, it looks like they may be willing to let me out of my contract. I bought my phone from Credo - it is a CDMA phone, which I believe limits what carriers I can switch to if I want to continue using my phone. Are there carriers you would recommend that use CDMA? Or are there other options that I have that I haven't thought of? Thanks.
Depends on where you live. Verizon would be our suggestion.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:50 am

brak wrote:I currently use Credo for my cellular phone service. The reception has been terrible (a nightmare in fact in that emergency calls get dropped, etc.), especially but not at all limited to my house, and after going round and round with Credo, trying many fixes, it looks like they may be willing to let me out of my contract. I bought my phone from Credo - it is a CDMA phone, which I believe limits what carriers I can switch to if I want to continue using my phone. Are there carriers you would recommend that use CDMA? Or are there other options that I have that I haven't thought of?
If key is coverage at home, a few thoughts:

1) look at coverage maps of providers for a first pass
2) don't totally believe those maps, and ask friends and family with different plans how good signal is at your home
3) if there isn't good coverage at your home at a reasonable price, considering finding a phone+provider that support wifi calling...

Note that with resellers/MVNOs you may have to pay for your cheaper prices with even worse customer service than the major carriers. Unless your phone is really awesome/expensive, I'd not let it govern which carrier you select.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:15 am

What type of phone do you have? It is also possible that there is a problem with your phone.

The problem with just switching carriers and keeping the same phone is that the new carrier would likely be using the same cell phone network and you would have the exact same problem.

I would try to return the phone for a refund if possible.

Checking with friends and neighbors to see what works well for them is a good suggestion. With a neighbor having them come over and trying out their phone in your house would be good since since sometimes moving just a little bit can make a difference.

If you paid by credit card it might be possible to dispute the credit card charges if you can't get good solution from them.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:15 am

brak wrote:I currently use Credo for my cellular phone service. The reception has been terrible (a nightmare in fact in that emergency calls get dropped, etc.), especially but not at all limited to my house, and after going round and round with Credo, trying many fixes, it looks like they may be willing to let me out of my contract. I bought my phone from Credo - it is a CDMA phone, which I believe limits what carriers I can switch to if I want to continue using my phone. Are there carriers you would recommend that use CDMA? Or are there other options that I have that I haven't thought of? Thanks.
CDMA is the technology behind the network. GSM is the other type of service.

It looks like Credo recently switched from Sprint towers (poor coverage) to Verizon (probably the best overall coverage).

Do you know if you are on the Sprint coverage? Open your SIM door and see if you have a white/yellow Sprint SIM card.

If on Sprint, ask Credo to switch you to a Verizon SIM/plan.

Or, switch to an AT&T or Verizon MVNO (they use the big 4 networks). Cricket Wireless, H20 Wireless, Total Wireless all use either AT&T and Verizon.

Cricket has many good phones under $50 and some are free. None of these services require a contract either. Not sure how Credo does that.

Life is too short to put up with bad phone service.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

brak

Post by brak » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:27 am

Thanks for all the great replies. What is MVNO?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:57 am

brak wrote:Thanks for all the great replies. What is MVNO?
mobile virtual network operator

All these small companies do not have networks. They use one of the Big 4 by leasing air time.

Cricket Wireless is an MVNO that uses the AT&T network infrastructure.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:59 am

brak wrote:Thanks for all the great replies. What is MVNO?
It is a reseller of wireless. It is a "mobile virtual network operator" who pays a carrier who has infrastructure for use of their cell tower network. For example, Credo (your company) is an MVNO who operates on Sprint's cellular network.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:01 am

bloom2708 wrote: Cricket Wireless is an MVNO that uses the AT&T network infrastructure.
As a minor nit, Cricket used to be an MVNO. It is now just a secondary brand, as it is wholly owned by AT&T, the company whose network it uses :)

jjface

Post by jjface » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:27 am

Credo is verizon for new customer since Dec 2016 buying a phone from them. When did you buy the phone? If before that you probably are still on their sprint service which is probably why your reception stinks. What phone do you have? Ask them to unlock it for one.

Hah they still do contracts. They seemed to have missed the changes that the whole industry has made.

I reckon it is time to find a new provider in any case. But ask for the phone to be unlocked first. Assuming your phone has lte bands and lte bands for other networks.

If you tell us what phone you have and when you bought it we can help you find a better provider.
Last edited by jjface on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:28 am

Da5id wrote:
bloom2708 wrote: Cricket Wireless is an MVNO that uses the AT&T network infrastructure.
As a minor nit, Cricket used to be an MVNO. It is now just a secondary brand, as it is wholly owned by AT&T, the company whose network it uses :)
Fair enough. AT&T owns Cricket, but I do not know if they operate as an MVNO (priority and perhaps slightly slower speeds). My assumption is the ownership is one aspect but they still function mvno-like. :wink:

jjface

Post by jjface » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:37 am

No cricket is not an mvno. But the distinction isn't really relevant other than the added security of being run by att themselves. There is always a small risk that a mvno will go out of business or lose the ability to use the towers of the primary provider. The speeds are capped like other att mvnos.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:21 am

Watty wrote: The problem with just switching carriers and keeping the same phone is that the new carrier would likely be using the same cell phone network and you would have the exact same problem.

This. Getting into a new contract with a new provider will likely compound the problem. In the future, only purchase unlocked phones with no contract. If they won't let you out of it, I would probably wait out the contract and then get an unlocked phone with a no-contract provider such as Cricket.

jjface

Post by jjface » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:29 am

aristotelian wrote:
Watty wrote: The problem with just switching carriers and keeping the same phone is that the new carrier would likely be using the same cell phone network and you would have the exact same problem.

This. Getting into a new contract with a new provider will likely compound the problem. In the future, only purchase unlocked phones with no contract. If they won't let you out of it, I would probably wait out the contract and then get an unlocked phone with a no-contract provider such as Cricket.
Yes carrier free phones are the best - moto g series, pixels etc. Do note though that buying a phone from a no contract provider like cricket still usually means the phones are locked to the network for a period. Just like you can ask credo to unlock the phone you will need to ask cricket to unlock after x months. The main consideration is what phone you have/buy and whether it has the lte bands to work on another network.

brak

Post by brak » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:32 am

jjface - I have an iPhone 7 which was purchased in March of this year.

jjface

Post by jjface » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:41 am

You should be on verizon then. I'm not sure if credo sim locks iphones. Since you are on a contract you'll probably need to ask them to domestic sim unlock.

Good news is that the iphone 7 verizon version can be used on any network when unlocked.

I'd probably try cricket or att prepaid. But probably best to ask friends/ neighbours first to see what they use and what network is good in your area. Seems verizon stinks.
Last edited by jjface on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:45 am

brak wrote:I currently use Credo for my cellular phone service. it is a CDMA phone, which I believe limits what carriers I can switch to if I want to continue using my phone. Are there carriers you would recommend that use CDMA? Or are there other options that I have that I haven't thought of? Thanks.
OP, This might be a lesson to not skip on logging into bogleheads forum frequently :happy . You have been a member since 2008 but never researched the forum for options before you went with a contract provider like Credo?

I never heard of them till your post. Go with a better signal provider in your area

bampf

Post by bampf » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:45 am

Consider Google Fi. I love it.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:15 pm

brak wrote:jjface - I have an iPhone 7 which was purchased in March of this year.
Who is your carrier? Go to Settings -> General-> About and go down about 10 lines and tell us what is says under Carrier. Like the fellow mentioned above, I think your troubles are you're still on Sprint, and it's likely your phone is carrier locked to Sprint/Credo. Easiest way to test is to find a friend on ATT or t-mobile and try their card.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:32 pm

My mother had credo, and I had to discontinue it when she died. It was extremely expensive. Apparently they donate a tiny portion of their revenues to charities (credo = "i believe"). But since they cost twice as much as any other MVNO it is easy for them to do that and still make bucketfulls of money.

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:33 pm

bampf wrote:Consider Google Fi. I love it.
Google FI uses Sprint and T-mobile networks. He's already having problems with the Sprint Network (most likely).
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

brak

Post by brak » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:56 pm

In my phone's settings, the carrier is Credo. I called and asked Credo whose towers they use - Verizon. Thanks for all your help. Keep those comments coming! P.S. - before switching to Credo (Verizon) I had AT&T, with no problems except the high cost.