Dealing with a Paypal dispute..

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
t60

Dealing with a Paypal dispute..

Post by t60 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:54 am

I ordered an item from a retailer's website, where a third party was the seller. Item was $10 (not a lot of money) and paid through Paypal.

It took about three weeks to receive the item, and when I did, it was nothing like the website description. I asked the third party seller for return instructions, and they provided an RMA number and return label (which also took another three weeks). I returned the exact item back to them, and they prepaid using the slowest shipping method possible so it took a few more weeks for it to get delivered to them.

I saw that they received it about two weeks ago, and when I inquired about the status of my refund, they told me it was still being processed. I asked a couple of times and it was always the same "we are processing it" with no end in sight. I emailed the retailer's website support since it was their third party selling the product, and they said to work directly with the third party seller to resolve the issue.

I opened up a Paypal dispute, provided a link to the return tracking information showing the item was delivered back to the seller, and a week later Paypal closed my dispute saying they, "couldn't confirm the item was delivered back to the seller"!

I will definitely not be using Paypal anymore, but what else can I do at this point? It's just $10 but I'm a man of principles and almost feel like I should spend more time chasing down this issue just out of spite! I (luckily) funded the transaction using a credit card, so the chargeback process has started, but I've never been so infuriated with Paypal before..

I'm assuming my chargeback will be successful, but if it's not I presume my only option is to either take the retailer or my CC issuer to court? (I'm not that adamant about fixing this..)

mega317

Re: Dealing with a Paypal dispute..

Post by mega317 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Did you call Paypal and ask why they couldn't confirm the item was returned? It might be that a phone rep can confirm and refund you immediately.

I am just like you, but I've decided my time and blood pressure are worth my principles plus vaguely $20 an hour. So if I couldn't get this resolved in 30 minutes I would give up. The problem of course is that at any point it MIGHT only be a few more minutes which, ignoring sunk costs, would be a great hourly rate.

I'm currently over 2 hours on a $60 issue with a cable company and I'm having trouble thinking about letting go....

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Yes, I would call Paypal and appeal. I had a situation with eBay where they closed a case against me in spite of what was clearly in my favor. I eventually got escalated up to a supervisor level who was very nice and basically said yeah, we screwed up - you are right - and found the case in my favor.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:39 pm

Did you by any chance use a charge card to pay for this (via PayPal)?

If so, open a dispute there.

PayPal is not helpful in these cases.
But charge cards (Amex especially) can be extremely helpful/pro-active in helping customers with "problem purchases".

I refuse to use PayPal, not due to any "loss", but due to the absurdly bad customer [non]service.

Good luck!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

t60

Post by t60 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks all.

I ended up giving them a call and it actually wasn't too bad. Hold time was for an hour, but their systems are good enough to provide automated callbacks, so using 5 minutes of my time I explained the situation to them.

Apparently my case was closed because I used the seller's return label. The return label had the wrong address on it (I'm going to assume the seller did this on purpose, given their business practices)..

Paypal is going to try to give me the money back on their dime. Seems like it's going well, but we'll see. I can't believe how much people are willing to game the system..