Favorite Sous Vide Recipes/Foods?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LuigiLikesPizza

Favorite Sous Vide Recipes/Foods?

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:58 am

I purchased a new gen Anova last week during Prime Day...my first ever sous vide device.

What are your favorite applications? looking forward to trying steaks and seafood....

Tips are much appreciated!

wangarific

Re: Favorite Sous Vide Recipes/Foods?

Post by wangarific » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:13 am

SeriousEats.com's sous vide section is fantastic, I learned everything I needed to know to do it right from there - http://www.seriouseats.com/sous_vide_101

You will have a lot of fun with your new toy... one word of advice, so I did a ribeye steak once (you know those monster four-packs from Costco) and let the thing cook for like 3-4 hours. The texture that came out, after all the muscles broken down, was a little too "weird" for me. The longer cook times, at the set temp, just breaks down the muscle fibers more. It was a little too soft for me... my only words of advice.

Have fun!

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:19 pm

I was going to post a link to Serious Eats but I see that's already been done. Kenji's recipes are great and never fail me.

investor997

Post by investor997 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:20 pm

My favorite is probably the Carnitas recipe found on the Serious Eats site.

Some advice: Controlling evaporation and condensation on longer cooks will be necessary. A couple things: Go to your local home improvement store and pick up a roll of reflective insulation. Wrap the pot you use with this stuff. It'll keep more of the heat in and lessen the duty cycle of the heater. Secondly, search for "sous vide balls" (not kidding) on Amazon. It's absurd to think you're spending that much on what's essentially a bag of ping pong balls but these things work wonders in terms of preventing water from steaming away and evaporating on a longer / hotter cook.

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:47 pm

I really like the "BBQ" ribs recipe from Serious Eats - http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015 ... d-lab.html I've done the middle ground option (152F for 24 hours) a couple of times and will maybe try the hotter and shorter time option next.

For the longer cooks (like the ribs) I use a styrofoam box that I cut a notch out of the lid for the sous vide machine (Gourmia GSV140). This was a free item from a friend that he had received from shipping items that needed to stay cold. A cheap plain styrofoam cooler would work just as well. If you can't find one of those then a regular plastic coated styrofoam cooler will work too - it's just harder to cut the notch in the lid. With the lid on and only a hole for the immersion cooker I haven't noticed enough water loss in day long cooks to bother topping it up. For longer cooks (e.g. pork shoulder), I only need to add a small amount of water once a day.

I also put it into the garage for the cooking since with the pump running continuously to circulate the water it gets a bit annoying if you are running it for a day or more.
Last edited by Hyperborea on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markwarren66

Post by markwarren66 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Pork tenderloin really benefits from sous vide, in my opinion. The thinner parts don't get overdone like they do in more traditional methods and you can easily cook to a nice medium rare / medium.

Steaks are fantastic, but I'd avoid ribeyes. I think those really benefit from a grill to sear off some of the bigger fat sections. NY strip is my go to. Hamburgers, while seemingly ridiculous given how easy they are to make, are really good too. Especially if you like them on the rare side but have safety concerns.

furikake

Post by furikake » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Chicken breasts and pork chops are the ones I use sous vide for because I can't get them right without drying them out. I do steaks right on the grill, I guess my steaks are not super thick, so I don't need to do sous vide first.