Credit Card Extended Warranty for a TV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Hyperborea

Credit Card Extended Warranty for a TV

Postby Hyperborea » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:52 am

My year and half old TV started to give picture trouble over the weekend. The manufacturer's warranty is only a year but I bought it with my Capital One Venture card which adds an extra year of coverage. I'm going to call them tomorrow to start the process rolling but I've never needed to use a credit card extended warranty. How does it work? What are they going to want me to do to prove the problems? Any advice?

Thanks for your help.

miamivice

Re: Credit Card Extended Warranty for a TV

Postby miamivice » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 am

The times I have used credit card extended warranties it has been no problem. You might have to take the TV to a shop to have them give you a letter saying it is defective, but I haven't had to do that (I simply have written and signed my own letter and given to them, and they have accepted that). You typically have to purchase the replacement part or replacement TV and then they will reimburse you, up to the purchase price of the tv that is failed. You will need your receipt and a copy of the tv warranty.

I've had good luck and it hasn't been difficult for them to honor the warranty.

HIinvestor

Postby HIinvestor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:16 am

Agree that the CC extended warranty has worked for me as well. Sometimes the CC company has me take it to a store they specify for the item to be evaluated, while sometimes they mail me a box with pre-paid label to send the item in for evaluation. In any case the warranty folks have always paid any cost for the evaluation.

After the item is evaluated, the CC warranty folks will give me a decision on whether they want to repair, replace or refund the money to me, depending on the evaluation (my preferences are also considered).

So far under warranty, we have gotten 2 laptops refunded and a hard drive. They were all declared by the CC company to be not worth repairing and we were re-credited the full cost of having purchased the items, evaluation fees and any postage. Generally the entire process took less than a month.

I believe the warranty folks are available 24/7, 365 days/year, so you can call the number on the CCard and they'll connect you now, if you'd like rather than waiting until M-F business hours.

Kenkat

Postby Kenkat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:40 am

I did it recently using my CapitalOne Quicksilver Signature Visa. It was a hassle in my opinion although I did eventually get refunded my repair cost. I filled out a claim form online and received instructions for how to complete the process. CapitalOne uses a third party service to administer the claims.

I had a Visio 55" Smart TV - picture went out after about a year and a half. Claims provider said to go ahead and get a repair estimate and send that to them. Repair estimate was $125 to re-solder connections between the LED driver board and power supply board. I sent them that and went ahead with the repair per their instructions. When I submitted the paid repair order - which pretty clearly stated what the problem was, it was rejected and I was told I needed a diagnostic report. After going back to the claims processing company and arguing to no avail, I contacted the repair place, which after saying they didn't know what more to say about what the problem was, nicely wrote something up and put it on their letterhead and sent it to me. I finally got my claim paid but it took about a month total.

I contacted CapitalOne about the poor service I thought I received but they did not respond. I probably use that card less now for major purchases due to my negative experience.

Timoneer

Postby Timoneer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:25 am

I had a very positive experience with Amex about 8 years ago. Almost no hassle, done over the phone. They refunded the original purchase price, and the replacement that I purchased was cheaper (this was when TV prices were dropping dramatically each year). I called again to ask if they wanted the difference back and the agent laughed and said I should keep it.

Hyperborea

Postby Hyperborea » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks for the info. I spoke to someone at CapitalOne and they sent me to Card Benefit Services who run this for Visa. I've got to have somebody come and give an estimate on the price to repair the set. I've got an appointment set up and we'll see how this goes.

Helo80

Postby Helo80 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Ok, I had the exact same experience with a TV I bought years ago. I paid about $180 with tax, and approximately 18 months after I purchased it, the picture died. It was the first-time I used my CC's EW as well.

So, this was with a Chase Freedom card. Basically:
1. Called to make the report; very nice southern gal probably about 50-ish took the claim
2. I had to go to a TV repair shop. They advertise "free" repair quotes, but I learned that's only oral quotes. If it's written down, it's $80.
3. I was assured by Card Benefit Services (whom Chase uses to service their EW), that I would be reimbursed and to keep the receipt
4. The repair shop charged me $80 and deemed the unit a failure as it would need a whole new LCD screen at a cost of $160 plus like $50 install.
5. I sent the quote, paperwork, and my $80 OOP cost to Chase.
6. The claim was accepted first time, no problems.
7. I received a check for the original purchase price (I think with tax) plus my $80 repair quote.
8. I bought a replacement TV.

It was honestly a flawless experience. I mean, it was inconvenient having to go find a TV repair shop, but hey, I got it covered and replaced with my CC EW.

Helo80

Postby Helo80 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Hyperborea wrote:Thanks for the info. I spoke to someone at CapitalOne and they sent me to Card Benefit Services who run this for Visa. I've got to have somebody come and give an estimate on the price to repair the set. I've got an appointment set up and we'll see how this goes.

Oh cool, did not see the update. Personally, I have had decent experiences with Card benefit services with my Chase Visa card. I assume they treat Citi customers the same way.

Kenkat

Postby Kenkat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Hyperborea wrote:Thanks for the info. I spoke to someone at CapitalOne and they sent me to Card Benefit Services who run this for Visa. I've got to have somebody come and give an estimate on the price to repair the set. I've got an appointment set up and we'll see how this goes.

That's who I had; hopefully you will have better luck than I did. It sounds like it is possible.

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:27 pm

What (type of) entity actually provides these warranties?
Is it banks e.g. Chase, Cap1 etc?
Is it payment networks e.g. Visa, MC AmEx etc?
Is it some 3rd party?

CardinalRule

Postby CardinalRule » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:15 pm

I'm not sure if they all work the same, for my Wells Fargo "Visa Signature" card, this entity is involved:

https://www.cardbenefitservices.com

What I like about the above partner is that I can upload the original warranty and other details when I purchase the item. Pre-registering the product is not required, but it seems to make claims run more smoothly on both sides.

*3!4!/5! wrote:What (type of) entity actually provides these warranties?
Is it some 3rd party?

takeshi

Postby takeshi » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:18 am

Hyperborea wrote:Any advice?

Consider using AmEx for such purchases in future. Their process is generally much less hassle than it is with other creditor provided warranty extensions.

Is it some 3rd party?

Usually a 3rd party but may depend on the specifics.

CardinalRule

Postby CardinalRule » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:18 am

I missed your link before posting my own message - I didn't intend to be repetitive. :wink: Good luck with the repair.

Hyperborea wrote:Thanks for the info. I spoke to someone at CapitalOne and they sent me to Card Benefit Services who run this for Visa.

Kenkat

Postby Kenkat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:39 am

takeshi wrote:
Hyperborea wrote:Any advice?

Consider using AmEx for such purchases in future. Their process is generally much less hassle than it is with other creditor provided warranty extensions.

Is it some 3rd party?

Usually a 3rd party but may depend on the specifics.

I believe the actual coverage is provided by the payment network - Visa or Mastercard. In Amex's case, the card issuer and payment network is one and the same.

michaeljc70

Postby michaeljc70 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:49 am

I did this with a laptop and Amex. I had to take it somewhere to get an estimate. They paid me the cost to fix it. It wasn't worth it so I used the money toward a new one. The issue you might have is if you have to get some kind of estimate. I don't think there are many local places that fix flat panel tvs and you might have to send it somewhere. Reading more posts it sounds like you have someone coming out, so that should suffice.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”