Suggestions for Month in the South Pacific?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
msk

Suggestions for Month in the South Pacific?

Post by msk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:44 am

I have seen most parts of the world that I actually wish to visit, but not the South Pacific islands. Age 73, not interested in water sports or sunbathing. Ideal vacation would be some sightseeing then curling up with a nice book in the shade at some fabulous beach with a nice breeze. Accommodation ought to be reasonably "civilised", not backpacker level but not $20k per week level either. No problem with up to $700/night for two, excluding air fares. Say, 3-star to 5-star all fair game. So, how should I go about planning this? Month or two, unhurried. Beach house, serviced apartments, hotels. Cities, villages all welcome. I am fine with all, moving, say, weekly. Island hopping? I also speak enough French to get by in French Polynesia. So, all you wise people who have seen the world, any suggestions, any tour companies I should look into? Only Pacific places I have spent extensive time at are Hawaii, New Zealand and Australia. Time to look at that almost-hemisphere left down there...

jbranx

Re: Suggestions for Month in the South Pacific?

Post by jbranx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:54 am

Tahiti or Fiji maybe. One of the Samoas if you search carefully. New Caledonia is also a delight if you like something closer to the Aussies. Tahiti gets a lot of visitors and deserves to. Fiji not so much and cheap and friendly. Bora Bora is on a lot of hot lists, but I found it very boring spot one would only like if scuba diving or appreciating corals. Tahiti is best bet overall. We liked the Gauguin museum. So, Tahiti or Fiji; French is good in Tahiti; Fiji still has the British overtones. Both have great beaches.

expat

Post by expat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Moorea would be good ...

DoctorE

Post by DoctorE » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:20 pm

French Polynesia. The Four Seasons in Bora Bora is spectacular and worth every cent. A week per island is more than sufficient.

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:31 pm

Bora Bora is the most beautiful tropical island I've seen in my life. I enjoyed Moorea, Fiji, Hawaii (Maui), etc but Bora Bora definitely trumped it. I would at least spend some time there. I do agree that it can be boring depending on what you want to do, but if it's mainly relax at a beach/pool and read a book it's at or near the top.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Cook Islands would be an option, though there is definitely not sightseeing to keep you busy for a month. Relaxing would work. Muri lagoon gives the classic south pacific view. Might spend 3 weeks on Rarotonga, and one on Aitutaki. Laid back, english speaking, uses NZd for currency. Lots of flights to New Zealand, and I think one weekly to LA.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:20 pm

Only a month?
Why limit yourself?
At 73, the hardest part will be the flights. Take longer if you can.

msk

Post by msk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:07 am

Indeed, it's the flight times that have kept me away so far. Even from one island to another! Time to bite the bullet :happy

The Planner

Post by The Planner » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:24 am

I'd suggest Maupiti and Bora Bora -- particularly Maupiti.