Hearing 3 beeps in Prius 2005

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
chancelet

Hearing 3 beeps in Prius 2005

Post by chancelet »

Probably a year after buying my Prius (I bought it in 2012, I believe), I've been hearing a random 3 beeps but don't know why. No dashboard warnings show up. The dealership never heard it whenever I took it in to have it checked out and said they could find nothing wrong. I'm noticing now in hot weather that the 3 beeps happen more regularly, especially soon after I've just started it. Once it warms up, it goes back to random occurrences. It could happen while I'm accelerating or decelerating, but only while it's driving. Any idea what this could be?
Jim Profit

Re: Hearing 3 beeps in Prius 2005

Post by Jim Profit »

In my Camry Hybrid 3 beeps means that the car is running but you just closed the door and it can't detect the key fob inside the car any more. Try starting the Prius, then hand the only fob out the window to someone and drive off (but be sure to drive back to where the fob is before turning off the car!). Do the three beeps get more regular? How long has it been since you replaced the fob battery?
Topic Author
chancelet

Post by chancelet »

Thanks Jim. I did try replacing the key fob battery a couple years ago when I read that 2 beeps mean the battery is dying. I'll try your suggestion of handing the key fob to someone and driving off. I'm hoping the car won't just die if I drive off without it. :confused
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Suggest you check the forums at priusonline.com and priuschat.com. A quick google search showed several threads, but I didn't click on them to see if they apply to your case.
Topic Author
chancelet

Post by chancelet »

I've read them before, TravelGeek. That's when I tried changing the fob battery, but that didn't help.
student

Post by student »

Look like you have tried many different ways already. The only thing I can think of is try another dealer.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Are you in CA and mistaking the FastTrak device beeps (when you enter an airport, they beep) for your car?
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

I googled it and found this in a Prius forum of all places, which may or may not be of any help. Does your Prius have the "EV mode mod?"

https://priuschat.com/threads/three-short-beeps.68977/

The best response seemed to be:

It seems the beeps are a signal from the EV mode mod. Maybe something defective in the mod or maybe temp or road surface are at fault. I'm going to try some watchful waiting.

I found this paper at the following URL. http://www.eetrex.com/pdf/0705_WP_PHEV_EV_Mode.pdf Relevant part quoted below

"The EV Mode as part of a PHEV conversion. It is not necessary to use the EV mode in PHEV conversions, yet most PHEV systems rely on it to achieve high mileage (mpg). The systems will do the electrical equivalent of pressing the EV button as
much as possible, so that the engine will stay off as much as possible. If the engine is off, the mpg is infinite, by definition. Therefore, the average mpg as the engine goes off and on, is higher than it would have been without using the EV Mode.
Unfortunately, the Prius changes the MFD screen display when it enters the EV Mode, and it beeps 3 times whenever it ends the EV Mode. Therefore, PHEVs that use the EV Mode change screens and beep quite often."

While there is a good general knowledge base on Bogleheads, when you have a problem, it is helpful to initially google it, or go to a specialized forum, a Prius forum in this case.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Jim Profit wrote:In my Camry Hybrid 3 beeps means that the car is running but you just closed the door and it can't detect the key fob inside the car any more. Try starting the Prius, then hand the only fob out the window to someone and drive off (but be sure to drive back to where the fob is before turning off the car!). Do the three beeps get more regular? How long has it been since you replaced the fob battery?
While my MB doesn't beep there are times when my cell, if in the same pocket as the keyless fob, will prevent the car from detecting it and allowing me to open the door keylessly.
Topic Author
chancelet

Post by chancelet »

student wrote:Look like you have tried many different ways already. The only thing I can think of is try another dealer.
I've tried two so far.
Topic Author
chancelet

Post by chancelet »

lightheir wrote:Are you in CA and mistaking the FastTrak device beeps (when you enter an airport, they beep) for your car?
Not the FasTrak device. Thanks for trying to think out of the box.
Topic Author
chancelet

Post by chancelet »

munemaker wrote:I googled it and found this in a Prius forum of all places, which may or may not be of any help. Does your Prius have the "EV mode mod?"

https://priuschat.com/threads/three-short-beeps.68977/

The best response seemed to be:

It seems the beeps are a signal from the EV mode mod. Maybe something defective in the mod or maybe temp or road surface are at fault. I'm going to try some watchful waiting.

I found this paper at the following URL. http://www.eetrex.com/pdf/0705_WP_PHEV_EV_Mode.pdf Relevant part quoted below

"The EV Mode as part of a PHEV conversion. It is not necessary to use the EV mode in PHEV conversions, yet most PHEV systems rely on it to achieve high mileage (mpg). The systems will do the electrical equivalent of pressing the EV button as
much as possible, so that the engine will stay off as much as possible. If the engine is off, the mpg is infinite, by definition. Therefore, the average mpg as the engine goes off and on, is higher than it would have been without using the EV Mode.
Unfortunately, the Prius changes the MFD screen display when it enters the EV Mode, and it beeps 3 times whenever it ends the EV Mode. Therefore, PHEVs that use the EV Mode change screens and beep quite often."

While there is a good general knowledge base on Bogleheads, when you have a problem, it is helpful to initially google it, or go to a specialized forum, a Prius forum in this case.

I have googled and searched other places, which was how I found this website. But, thanks for all these links. I'll check them out and will bring this to a dealership if driving away without the fob doesn't work. Haven't been able to do that yet.
student

Post by student »

chancelet wrote:
student wrote:Look like you have tried many different ways already. The only thing I can think of is try another dealer.
I've tried two so far.
Oh. You really have thought of everything.
c078342

Post by c078342 »

I'd have to say that if this started in 2013 and nothing other than the beeps has happened, I would not worry about it. Particularly if there were no dash notifications. But it is a Prius.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I have a standalone GPS that beeps like that when I am coming up on a known traffic camera.

If you have a built in GPS you should check it to see if has any alerts for that or when you are exceeding the speed limit.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Could it possibly be seatbelts related ? If it's soon after you start the car, it sounds like that might be it. There should be a visual indicator too on one of the displays, though, but maybe not in the 2005.
Do you have anything of significant weight on any of the passenger seats ?
The warning beeps would come back periodically if you don't put the seat belt for one of the "passengers" , not just after starting the car, which you also have occurring.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I am good at identifying beeps. Is it beep beep beep or BEEP beep BEEP?
Topic Author
chancelet

Post by chancelet »

whodidntante wrote:I am good at identifying beeps. Is it beep beep beep or BEEP beep BEEP?
Are you being funny?? :)

If not, it's a steady beep beep beep, very quick in succession.
Topic Author
chancelet

Post by chancelet »

madbrain wrote:Could it possibly be seatbelts related ? If it's soon after you start the car, it sounds like that might be it. There should be a visual indicator too on one of the displays, though, but maybe not in the 2005.
Do you have anything of significant weight on any of the passenger seats ?
The warning beeps would come back periodically if you don't put the seat belt for one of the "passengers" , not just after starting the car, which you also have occurring.

It's not a seatbelt kind of beep. But, if I can't get it figured out by others' suggestions, I'll ask the dealership about that.
Topic Author
chancelet

Post by chancelet »

c078342 wrote:I'd have to say that if this started in 2013 and nothing other than the beeps has happened, I would not worry about it. Particularly if there were no dash notifications. But it is a Prius.
Yes, when the dealership says they find nothing wrong, there's only so much worrying I can do about it. I just get a bit more worried when it happens so often in hot weather.
Topic Author
chancelet

Post by chancelet »

Watty wrote:I have a standalone GPS that beeps like that when I am coming up on a known traffic camera.

If you have a built in GPS you should check it to see if has any alerts for that or when you are exceeding the speed limit.
That's something to probably bring up to the dealership if nothing else works.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Not sure if this is helpful or not-

http://thehamsterblog.com/what-do-hamster-noises-mean/ ;)

A bit more seriously, after searching a few Prius forums (fora?), I think I'd either try replacing the fob battery again, or at least take it to Radio Shack and have it tested. Maybe corroded or dirty contacts in the fob?
Semper Augustus
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

chancelet wrote:
whodidntante wrote:I am good at identifying beeps. Is it beep beep beep or BEEP beep BEEP?
Are you being funny?? :)

If not, it's a steady beep beep beep, very quick in succession.
Yep, those are beeps. :D

:sharebeer