Looking for Mobile MP3 Player, What Do You Use? Why?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Boogieknight

Looking for Mobile MP3 Player, What Do You Use? Why?

Post by Boogieknight » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:40 pm

I recently ripped my entire CD collection to MP3. Almost 2000 tracks. I even took the time to tag the tracks that needed help, proper attribution, cover art, etc. I put the MP3s onto my computer, then onto my Android phone, and use an app that came with the phone, a Samsung app, to organize playlists and play my music back. I also have Pandora, Amazon and Sirius/XM on the phone and use them too. But there are times I just want to listen to my personal MP3s. And hear what I want to hear. Plus my kids know how to find and download almost any MP3 out there.

Now here’s the thing. I organized my MP3s into a couple playlists on my Samsung (Android) phone with the music app that came with it, but I came to recognize that my playlists don’t work on other devices, and transferring updated playlists even onto another phone with the same app is arduous and unreliable.

So I’m looking for a good mobile phone app that I can use to play MP3s with the playlists stored in the cloud, and use on any phone, tablet, etc. Only the app would reside on the phone or tablet. Any recommendations? Ease of use is a big consideration. Multi-OS support (Android, iOS, Fire, even maybe Windows) is a big consideration, though Android is a must. Another big factor is minimizing data usage on my phone. I find Pandora to be relatively economical in its use of my monthly data. Amazon not so much. At least that’s the way it seems.

So what cloud MP3 player do you use? What do you like about it? What mobile OS’s does it run on? Is the data usage killing you? Anything else noteworthy? Help me out here. Thanks all….

mhalley

Re: Looking for Mobile MP3 Player, What Do You Use? Why?

Post by mhalley » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:51 pm

For free google play allows you to put a huge number (50 thousand) of your personal mp3s in the cloud. I mostly listen while I'm on wireless, so I don't know how bad the data usage is. I see several articles that say it does have high usage, but also several articles on decreasing its usage. Making playlists and storing your favorites will cut down on usage. Worth a try as it is free.
https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... 3668?hl=en

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/0 ... usage.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3143948/ ... c-app.html

http://errorfixer.co/play-music-high-ba ... e-android/

Boogieknight

Post by Boogieknight » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:31 pm

So from your links I'm seeing that one can create playlists, the list and tracks remain in the cloud, but the tracks can also be downloaded to your device and played from there with the playlist remaining in the cloud. Or downloaded to (and played on)multiple devices with just the one instance of the playlist staying in the cloud. That makes a lot of sense because that's what I do, I play from playlists depending on the mood. I'd like to find those capabilities in something other than Google Play though. I'm just not really trusting of Google. But if I can install and use the app on other OS's I might give it a try. I've hooked a cheapo Fire tablet to my stereo and would like to use the same app on it, and other devices.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:42 pm

+1 for Google. I believe you could also accomplish this with iTunes or Amazon music. But, AFAIK, those services don't allow for the same number of uploads for free. Perhaps with the extra cost comes a bit more privacy. I've used Google music for several years and haven't encountered any obvious marketing attempts, etc. YMMV.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:17 pm

What nefarious purpose will google fulfill by you using google play? By using an android device, you pretty much already give them access to almost everything you do. It is available on iOS and of course pc.

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:33 pm

I repurposed an old Galaxy S4 I wasn't using with a 64gb memory card, fresh new extended-life battery and a decent app to play it all. I turn everything off on it except bluetooth and it pretty much lasts forever before needing recharge.

penumbra

Post by penumbra » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:26 pm

Was in a similar boat. I have 13,193 songs. I have an iPhone, and use iTunes. iTunes is great, since all playlists exist in the cloud. You can stream from there, or download specific playlists to your phone, and only play resident music. iTunes makes it very clear as to whether you are playing from the cloud or your phone. I know iTunes exists for android, but not familiar with just how it works. I am extremely happy, though. This might be helpful.

Boogieknight

Post by Boogieknight » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:49 am

Penumbra thanks for the note about iTunes. I think my daughter uses it on her iPhone, so I can give it a spin. I'll check about Android compatibility.

And it's funny you mention the Galaxy S4. I love my S5. I can't imagine why anyone would want a phone whose memory cannot be expanded, or battery replaced. Fact is, I have purchase four (!) S5's for under $100 apiece on the refurbished market. Two GSM phones, two CDMA phones. I'm in the process of putting the cheapest prepaid plans on each, one from each of the four carriers. Perfectly adequate phones. I added T-Mobile to one of them a couple months ago. Dime a call and dime a text and very limited data. It's gonna live in the car and it and the others is why I wanna move my tunes to the cloud. One of them will feed music to my home stereo, data usage won't matter because it will be on wifi all the time. Dunno about phone #4. But you can see why I want the tracks and playlists in the cloud. I've sort of made it a goal to learn more about smartphones at a day-to-day level. The fact that they fit in one's hand and in a pocket makes them the communications device of choice. I've also installed DirecTV Now, NetFlix and TED on my "main" (pocket) phone for video and mirror cast them to the TV when I want, which is seldom.

But I'll check into iTunes. I sort of have a thing about Google, yeah agreed if I'm using Android there's not much more Alphabet can learn about my by way of Google Play. But I still would like to find something a bit more agnostic. Maybe today I'll head on over to DuckDuckGo and nose around a little....

Boogieknight

Post by Boogieknight » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:18 am

OK so I didn't get a lot of input here, that's fine.

I installed and am operating Google Play Music and I'm quite happy with it. I does the big stuff (like synching with multiple mobile devices) and the little stuff (like not adding a song to a playlist that already has it without asking) very well. Your music can be streamed from the cloud, or downloaded (with playlists) to your device and used completely offline.

I'll be exploring its other capabilities over the next few days as time permits, particularly their music/station offerings and other capabilities having nothing to do with my 1900+ uploaded tunes. I don't know that it will take the place of Pandora for me, or even Sirius/XM, but I'd like to learn more about it. I'm also willing to spend 99 cents a pop for tunes now and then if they are easy to find, buy and add to my Google Play library. Those 1900+ tunes are whittled down to about 500 that are organized within playlists. My favorite is the 40-year-old jazz fusion stuff. Thanks all.

PS like one of the posters above, one of my phones is being repurposed into a "music remote." It has Pandora, SiriusXM and now Google Play Music. It will soon cast to my stereo via wifi, and lay around the kitchen for my family to use to control the stereo in the living room, which feeds speakers throughout the house. The "music remote" phone isn't even able to make a phone call....