Recommendation for things to do in Seattle area

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GKSD

Recommendation for things to do in Seattle area

Post by GKSD » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:20 am

Me and DW will be taking a 6-day vacation to Seattle area and are looking for recommendations on what to do there. We are young couple (no kids) and are ok with outdoorsy activities and driving around.

We land in Seattle late evening Jul 26th and plan to stay for couple of nights in a lodge (near Longmire) at Mt. Rainier, so perhaps looking for ideas on what to do at Mt . Rainier for couple of days.

Then on Jul 28th we move to Seattle and will be staying in Columbia City neighborhood (~6 miles south-east of downtown) and will there for next 4 days.

I will be renting a car all along.

Thanks.
Last edited by GKSD on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

IvestForEngineers

Re: Recommendation for things to do in Seattle area

Post by IvestForEngineers » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:28 am

Check these out ( in no particular order )
1. Pike place market 2. Ballard locks 3.Pier 4. Take ferry to some island ( San Juan ? ) 5. Deception pass /Whidbey island
6. Rattle snake ridge hike on I-90 7. If you are into wine/beer - wineries or breweries 8. Starbucks roastery on capitol hill
Last edited by IvestForEngineers on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:30 am

IMO, a car in Seattle is a liability.

Klondike Museum was a pleasant surprise when we were there. Chihully Exhibit up near Space Needle is great.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

retire14

Post by retire14 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:46 am

Mt Rainier is great. Hit the highlight areas: Longmire, then Paradise and Sunrise. I would do Paradise either early in the AM (before 9) or late PM (3PM) to avoid the crowd and possible parking issues, especially on weekends.
Also, we rented a car to go to and from Rainier, but did not need one in Seattle. Seattle is small, you can walk everywhere. Parking is expensive.

llama

Post by llama » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:32 pm

GKSD wrote:staying in Columbia City neighborhood
I've heard good things about Geraldine's Counter for breakfast/brunch, but have never tried it myself.

informal guide

Post by informal guide » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:00 pm

If you are into food, I suggest a "savor Seattle walking tour." My wife and I did it one afternoon three years ago and really loved it - -food (small plates), and frequently wine - at 6-7 places.

Another real winner is a trip up to the Boeing factory - -truly amazing!

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Get on the LINK @ Columbia city and get off at International District. Walk to west towards the water,2 blocks to the SOUND TRANSIT building. Buy some day passes Or standard refillable ORCAcard for LINK, bus, streetcar. Leave the car at c.c. parking in Seattle will kill your budget and travel plans.
Be sure to use uber , LYFT, zipcar, car2go, bus, streetcar, and LINK. Inexpensive, plentiful, and fast.

Btw, how old are you?
What do you like? Or dislike?
Last edited by itstoomuch on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

mt

Post by mt » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:10 pm

I second the Klondike Museum and would add the Museum of Flight.

Two good hikes at Mt Rainier are Pinnacle Peak and van Trump park. Restaurant at Paradise in is nice, and you could take a post dinner walk in the meadows with fewer people.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:48 pm

The Klondike NP, is just 1-2 blocks further past the Sound Transit building, west on Jackson but on the north side. It's on the corner.
4 more blocks west, will take you to the waterfront area. IVARs famous chowder and plank roasted salmon sandwich are superb. I'd recommend doing the waterfront using a rental Segway but not on weekendsbecause of the cruise/tourist crowds. Walk north on the boardwalk to pier 66, Norwegian Cruise pier then across to Sculture Garden Park. Or continue north to pier 99 to Princess Cruise & Celebrity Cruise . You can easily hail a taxi at 66 or 99. You will have walked 2 miles from International Dist. Link station to p66.
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Take the Bainbridge or Bremerton ferry at dusk for the sunset. See the sunset over the Olympics and skyline Seattle when dark. Orca card accepted. You pay only once going and return is free. Take a nap on the ferry. It's very safe.
Last edited by itstoomuch on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:56 pm

Link trains run every 10-20 minutes.

knick17

Post by knick17 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:45 pm

PearlJamPearlJamPearlJamPearlJamPearlJamPearlJamPearlJamPearlJamPearlJamPearlJamPearlJamPearlJam

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm

It's been many years (decades) since I live in Seattle, and the Ballard locks are nice, but what's better is to go to Ray's Boathouse just a mile from the locks. Go at sunset, sit on the deck, watch the sun set behind the Olympics.

Ray's boathouse burned catastrophically twice, and it has twice been rebuilt. A Seattle institution.
http://www.rays.com/about/our-story/

Also go to Gasworks park on a nice day and just watch the boat traffic through Lake Union.

For a cheap fun lunch, go to Ivar's Fish Bar, 401 NE Northlake Way and sit out on the barge with your fish and chips. Another gorgeous view of Lake Union.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:54 am

Carry an umbrella, and bring a jacket.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:50 am

Gormet lunch or dinner in the space needle was nice.
Boeing tour if you can swing it (we did not have time)
Bill Gates foundation displays.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 am

From P66/Sculpture Garden, Go East up the hill to the Space Needle/Chihuly Museum. It's distance is not far but it is uphill. You will go thru Belltown. Some interesting eats here. From the Chilhuly walk towards east + north (all downhill) to SouthLake Union (AMAZON area). MOHAI is here ( Seattle's Museum Of History And Industry). Canoeing, a float plane tour, small tour boat of lake.

Head along west edge of waterfront to Fremont Bridge (See if you can find where Annie and Sam & Jonah first spied each other. Cross over the canal into Fremont, "Center-of-the-Universe". See Lenin and the Troll. A very good Gelato here, around the corner from PCC Natural Food Grocery (for go food, soup & sandwich). Interesting foods and shops.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:25 am

djpeteski wrote:Carry an umbrella, and bring a jacket.
No umbrellas needed in July or August (or anytime of the year for that matter if you actually live here). I think we haven't had a measurable rainfall in about 30 days. Although that may have gotten broken with an overnight sprinkle a night or two ago.

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:52 am

barnaclebob wrote:
djpeteski wrote:Carry an umbrella, and bring a jacket.
No umbrellas needed in July or August (or anytime of the year for that matter if you actually live here). I think we haven't had a measurable rainfall in about 30 days. Although that may have gotten broken with an overnight sprinkle a night or two ago.
shush quiet, enough people living here already :annoyed

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:07 am

Some thoughts about Columbia City itself (I agree withe Link Light Rail note above - use it :happy )

Check out the Columbia City Farmers Market (Wednesdays).

If you want to try something different, the little La Teranga restaurant (Senegalese) has a good reputation.