'99 4Runner with steering/suspension problem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CFIT

'99 4Runner with steering/suspension problem

Post by CFIT » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:41 pm

I have a '99 Toyota 4Runner that I've owned since new. Lately I've noticed that when I go over rough or uneven pavement I can feel a "bump" through the steering wheel, and sometimes hear it as well. The last time I drove over a true washboard road it felt and sounded as though someone was hitting the steering column with a little hammer for each bump I crossed. Otherwise, the car drives and steers normally, wear on the front tires is even, and I've had the steering fluid replaced. My thought is that something is going bad in the steering rack but I wondered what others make of this?

Thanks.

jharkin

Re: '99 4Runner with steering/suspension problem

Post by jharkin » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Common thing that goes on old steering systems is the ball joints on the tie rod ends. Easy check is to jack up one front corner (jack under the suspension arm to keep the suspension loaded) and then grasp the tire firmly with both hands and try to turn it.. if there is any side to side play then you could have a bad ball joint or bad suspension mount.

None of these parts is terribly expensive. OTOH if the steering rack is bad that could get pricey.

CFIT

Re: '99 4Runner with steering/suspension problem

Post by CFIT » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Thank you. I'll give that a try.