Teeth Whitening

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
retire14

Teeth Whitening

Post by retire14 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:54 am

After years of using well water with high iron content, my teeth are yellowish. I would like to get a whitening. My dentist has 4 options:
1. Zoom In-office 2hrs procedure: $575
2. Boost in-office 1hr procedure plus home whitening tray: $375
3. Custom home whitening trays: $250
4. Opalescence Treswhite home kits: $125

For bogleheads that have gone through this-what's your recommendations? Do they work? Thanks.

Nowizard

Re: Teeth Whitening

Post by Nowizard » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:57 am

#4 works. It takes awhile, but trays are simple to use and it gives you control over when to stop and does not produce such a dramatic "What have you done" response among people who see you regularly.

Tim

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:58 am

My dentist recommended either Crest Whitestrips or their own cleaning. I tried the Whitestrips and was pretty impressed with the results. There are several different types. I got a box for about $60 which had me use one set of strips per day (top and bottom) for half an hour for 20 days. Sensitivity afterwards was not an issue.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Based upon my experience, under no circumstances use the in-office whitening. Very expensive and no better than trays or strips. I've used the trays for years, and just recently tried experimenting with the strips. The trays are individualized, so do a good job of complete coverage. The strips are easy-no cleaning afterward, just throw away.

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:52 pm

I have used Crest Whitestrips for years - over a decade I think. After a year or so of drinking coffee, they need doing again, but I hardly ever bother to do a full box or use them every single night while doing it now. My teeth get a bit sensitive if I use them every night, so I find every other day or every third day to be sufficient. Of course, I'm really just maintaining the effect at this point so maybe I don't need the every day treatment.

My dentist has frequently commented over the years how well they work - he says he often recommends them to other people because he can see from many patients what the results are. And also, as they don't whiten your back teeth, you can see for yourself the difference in color.
Sarah

Beck49

Post by Beck49 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:08 pm

+1 on Crest Whitestrips. I'd get the most powerful version. The first time I used them, admittedly they were lower strength, I tripled up on the application - 3 per day instead of one per day and saw a very quick improvement. Once or twice a year with one-three strips and you are good to go. Good luck.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Try Crest Whitestrips Professional Effects. Around $35 on Amazon. Works great. I'd try this before any whitening treatment at the dentists office. https://www.amazon.com/Crest-Profession ... B00336EUTK

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

retire14

Post by retire14 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Thank you all for responding. The near consensus seems to be Crest strips. I will be getting the Crest Professional and save a bundle :). Bogelheads came through again!

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:59 pm

I use trays. My dentist made them for me for around $100, came with 4 tubes of gel, and I get about 6 nights of application out of a tube. I ripped through the first three in about 5 or 6 weeks, then waited about 6 months. I'm on day 5 of my 4th tube today, will finish it this weekend, and probably wait a month or so before I go for another tube.

My teeth (and gums) get a bit sensitive after a couple of consecutive days, but I just deal with it. I like that the gel tubes have many different strength levels, too.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:42 pm

I went the dentist route first and it worked. Super high price.
As the discoloration came back, I went the White strip route and they also worked at not so high of a price.

epictetus

Post by epictetus » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:58 pm

i use a Crest Whitening Rinse. i tried the Crest Strips but they made my teeth tingly right away. I have not had that problem with the Rinse and have been using it every night for a few years.
Focus on what you can control

davegreen10

Post by davegreen10 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:16 am

The two main criteria for whitening effectiveness are:
1) Strength of whitening gel and
2) Duration of Use

In Office will have the fastest (but not necessarily the deepest) results as they use the strongest formula. It is caustic enough to burn your gums so they will block out your soft tissue to protect it.
The Zoom light is largely a gimmick. The heat elevates the strength of the formula a couple of percent. Unfortunately the light dries the teeth increasing the chance of uncomfortable sensitivity. So they actually can't use as strong a formula as other in-office brands.
The Boost brand doesn't use a light and their formula is about 30% stronger. By my rationale it will be more effective.

Home Use:
Whitening paste and rinses-Not very effective due to their short duration
OTC strips/trays/gels- better
Dentist strips/trays/gels- More effective as they have a higher whitening concentration than is allowed to be in OTC. Think "prescription strength"

How whitening works:
1) It will bleach/whiten the surface staining from coffee/red wine/smoking etc. to get you back to your natural shade
2) It can whiten your teeth beyond their natural shade. The Oxygen molecules released by the peroxide are absorbed through the dentin tubules and whiten your teeth from within.

Whitening Tip- The whitening process opens up the tubules which helps them receive the oxygen. However it also makes them receptive to any staining agents. So avoid coffee/tea/red wine/red sauce etc during your whitening regimen or it may not be very effective. Drink your coffee/wine through a straw if you can't give them up.

Dopey

Post by Dopey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:22 am

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Whitenin ... B00EZ6TUXS

Given the cost, I'll be trying this at some point. Lots of reasonable reviews.

Carson

Post by Carson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:17 am

j0nnyg1984 wrote:I use trays. My dentist made them for me for around $100, came with 4 tubes of gel, and I get about 6 nights of application out of a tube. I ripped through the first three in about 5 or 6 weeks, then waited about 6 months. I'm on day 5 of my 4th tube today, will finish it this weekend, and probably wait a month or so before I go for another tube.

My teeth (and gums) get a bit sensitive after a couple of consecutive days, but I just deal with it. I like that the gel tubes have many different strength levels, too.
This has been my experience. I got the trays years ago, and used them for an initial whitening. I have taken care of the trays, kept them clean and safe, and still use them for a touch up every now and then. My preference is opalescence gel, although I recently got a generic brand and it seems to be okay. I also like the varying % of carbamide peroxide in the gels. I am succeptible to pretty sensitive teeth, so I need to use a lower % of whitening in order to stay comfortable.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

wangarific

Post by wangarific » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:16 am

I'd try the Crest strips at home to see how effective they are before shelling out the hundreds (and hours) for the "professional" work. It may be enough to get them white enough to your satisfaction.

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Dopey wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Whitenin ... B00EZ6TUXS

Given the cost, I'll be trying this at some point. Lots of reasonable reviews.
Please consult a dentist before using these charcoal-based products. My dentist told me that charcoal products do whiten your teeth exceptionally well, but only because they gouge the enamel off of your teeth, which does not come back. He recommends Crest Whitestrips.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Whitening toothpastes have historically not worked at ALL for me, but I've found Colgate Optic White to be very effective. Almost as effective as whitening strips without the hassle (or resulting teeth-sensitivity). Highly, highly recommend you try this for a few weeks before shelling out the big bucks. This is the only whitening toothpaste I've actually had success with.

https://www.amazon.com/Colgate-Optic-Wh ... B005EZ7CMA

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:08 pm

I applied Crest White Stripes last night. I have some teeth sensitivity right now.

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:27 am

Have there been any studies performed on whitening products and their effect on tooth enamel?

I'm sure some are better than others.

As for me, I use the Crest whitening mouthwash, which you use after brushing, and it works well.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:58 pm

I have coffee staining from my daily espresso. Tried the White Strips, the stronger 1 hour treatment (Costco), but the whitening was spotty, strongest on the biting edge of the front teeth where the strips are folded and in best contact. My front teeth have ridges of enamel, and those areas didn't seem to pick up the bleaching.

All my usual dental visits are fully covered by insurance, I'm going to pay my dentist, he will do impressions first and says after initial treatment I can do my own updates.

imbogled

Post by imbogled » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:52 am

fsrph wrote:Try Crest Whitestrips Professional Effects. Around $35 on Amazon. Works great. I'd try this before any whitening treatment at the dentists office. https://www.amazon.com/Crest-Profession ... B00336EUTK

Francis
Just used them! Worked for me also! Several years of stain removed and no pain/sensitivity.
Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. | Warren Buffett