Urgent 1st world problem [coffeemaker]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Urgent 1st world problem [coffeemaker]

Post by Keepcalm »

Sick of dealing with poorly made coffee makers out of China.

Have decided I appreciate my coffee and good craftsmanship enough to warrant spending $300.00 on a Technivorm Moccamaster.

However, before I go down today to pick it up, I would like to confirm (as most reviews do) that it is a superior coffee maker. I thought who else to ask but picky Boglehead's.

So, does anyone have one, and if so, your experience?

Leaving in about an hour to grab it.
harrychan

Re: Urgent 1st world problem [coffeemaker]

Post by harrychan »

I tried many coffee makers and ultimately settled on using an aeropress for my daily brewing. Economical and great taste.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Asking for feedback in an hour is not really productive. This is a forum, not text messaging or Facebook messenger. Feedback in a forum is more over the course of days, not hours, particularly for something like a high-end coffee maker that only a small fraction of the forum may know about.

The best you're going to be able to do in that short of a period is read the previous posts: https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... eheads.org
Doohop65

Post by Doohop65 »

Full disclaimer, I don't own one. I am more of a pour over or French press guy.

That being said I have several friends who have one and they do indeed make a superior cup to a mr coffee type pot. The water gets substantially hotter and allows the coffee to bloom properly.

Make sure you buy one with the insulated carafe. Once coffee is brewed it needs to be kept hot but not constantly heated.

If I ever were to buy a coffee pot this is what I would buy.
moghopper

Post by moghopper »

Keepcalm wrote:Sick of dealing with poorly made coffee makers out of China.
I've had a Zojirushi for a number of years. https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-EC-BD1 ... B0000X7CMQ

High quality - coffee in the carafe stays hot all day.
autopeep

Post by autopeep »

Spending hundreds of dollars on a drip coffee maker is analogous to buying high cost active funds. You are paying a premium for no real benefit. The quality/freshness of the beans probably matter more than the coffee maker. I second the recommendation for the aeropress. If you decide to go down the espresso machine rabbit hole, consider the gaggia classic.
redstar

Post by redstar »

Third vote for an Aeropress and high quality beans. Alternatively get a pour over setup (Chemex for multiple cups at once).
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Keepcalm wrote:spending $300.00 on a Technivorm Moccamaster.
The Sweet Home compared your pick to many others, and they recommend two less expensive models:
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-coffee-maker/

Since this is the Bogleheads forum, I'll also leave this here:
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-ch ... fee-maker/
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I bought one higher-priced coffeemaker and found it unsatisfactory. I now use the cheap Chinese coffeemakers (Mr. Coffee). Sometimes I go all out and use my manual french press.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

Have decided I appreciate my coffee and good craftsmanship enough to warrant spending $300.00 on a Technivorm Moccamaster.

However, before I go down today to pick it up, I would like to confirm (as most reviews do) that it is a superior coffee maker. I thought who else to ask but picky Boglehead's.

Have the model with insulated carafe. Love it. Not cheap, but well made.
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

French press, aero press, or pour-over give you more control and better results than even the best drip coffee maker.

What is your grinding setup? That is also probably going to make a bigger difference than your coffee maker.
autopeep

Post by autopeep »

aristotelian wrote: What is your grinding setup? That is also probably going to make a bigger difference than your coffee maker.
This is an excellent point. It is probably not worth spending a substantial amount on a coffee maker if you use a blade grinder.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

The best I've found: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W5KPSQ/?t ... AAAAWTquYQ

To be fair it does take a bit of time and attention. Its very easy to use and clean though.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

Lately been doing a lot of cold brewed. All you need is a large vessel for the grounds and water, fridge, and a paper filter when you extract the goodness 24 hours later. We make batches large enough for several days. Hinestly , with some milk, it tastes better than my usual espresso (>$1k machine), French press ($30 or so), moka pot ($30), etc.
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

when our 12 year old Cuisinart broke and we saw how cheaply made the new coffeemakers were, we went to our local thrift shop and bought an old coffeemaker for $10 and it is wonderful. That cheap stuff from China is awful. If we see more old beauties at garage sales, we'll buy another one or two. I'm only posting to give my two cents to the forum, as I know OP has probably already picked up his/her expensive coffeemaker. We like the simple things in life and older appliances, good quality.
gasman

Post by gasman »

Love our technivorm
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

harrychan wrote:I tried many coffee makers and ultimately settled on using an aeropress for my daily brewing. Economical and great taste.
ditto.

We have a $440 coffee grinder (it really does make a difference vs. the $40 one) and a $30 aeropress.

Edited to add: "Irony"

I will admit that sometimes I miss just going back to the '''pot" to refill my cup.
b4real

Post by b4real »

We've had many coffee makers over the years, cheap ones and an expensive all-in-one that served us well for several years but was having problems when we moved last year and wasn't worth getting repaired. We wanted a simple setup and settled on a french press and grinder and couldn't be happier. Many years ago we tried many varieties of beans/roasts until we found what we liked best. We occasionally experiment with other beans/roasts but always come back to our standby.
French press - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZA ... UTF8&psc=1
Grinder - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FS ... UTF8&psc=1
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I agreed once about coffee makers made in China, because I had one shorting out the first time plugging it in. Probably also made in China though, we use Mr. Coffee for very little $ from Walmart and are very happy with it. I do not need any fancy stuff on it, no clock, no timer. only decent coffee and we get that. Coffee does not seem to be a science to me.
namekevaste

Post by namekevaste »

Bonavita is an affordable coffeemaker that is SCAA certified
Last edited by namekevaste on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rikki

Post by rikki »

I have used the Technivorm for about 6 years and love it. Besides getting the water hot enough to brew properly, it drips it slowly which allows for a full bloom of the ground coffee. The insulated carafe keeps the coffee hot without cooking it to bitterness the way a heated element under a glass carafe does.

That said, I really respect the Sweethome reviews noting two lower priced coffee makers that are excellent.
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

I have three methods of making coffee:
1. Aeropress- the best if making for one person, myself

2. French Press-go to Target and get a Bodum brand, good for a few cups.

3. For espresso, I bought a Saeco Via Venezia from Seattle Coffee Gear (their web site has great video reviews of coffee machines, they do the youtubes in their store, there must be fifty of these at least on the web site). I used this for espresso, which I have drifted more and more to. Paid about $350 for this unit, it is a tank

Use fresh water. Lots of good coffees out there. My preferences are: Peets Major Dickason's blend, and Kirkland (Stabucks Costco) Espresso blend

More important than the coffee maker is the grinder. A reasonable compromise between commercial grade and the cheapies, is the Capresso, metal housing, with burr grinders, and a hopper at the top you can put about 12 oz of beans in. Priced at about $200 online. I bought a "refurb" for $100, has worked great, came in original box.

I only drink a cup or at most two a day, but it has to be the best.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

harrychan wrote:I tried many coffee makers and ultimately settled on using an aeropress for my daily brewing. Economical and great taste.

For coffee 1-2 cups at a time itvreally works well

I also have a nesspresso espresso maker. Add hot water to a shot of espresso and it makes a good coffee.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Another vote for the Bonavita. It produces a very good cup of coffee for a lot less than the Technivorm. And I'm a bit of a coffee snob.
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm »

Ended up getting the Technivorm with the manual drip selector on the brew basket and the stainless thermal carafe.

As a single guy living alone I often only make 320-330ml of coffee at a time per 20g of coffee. Due to this most coffee makers were under extracting because the brew process was too quick and under extracted the grinds.

This Technivorm has a slide I can partially close on the brew basket that slows it down and allows the brew basket to fill up with enough water to bloom the coffee grinds and adequately extract smaller amounts of coffee.

So far I'm satisfied with the [expensive] purchase. Some guys on here were saying it is a waste to spend that much on a coffee maker.

At the end of the day I'm a very frugal individual who is not afraid to intermittingly spend the cake on a quality product that adds value to my life.
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

You can't go wrong with the Technivorm; it was tested on America's Test Kitchenand Chris Kimball verified that it keeps the right temperature.Not an extravagant purchase; a lot of people spend money on alcohol and get DUIs, etc. By that standard a nice coffeemaker is pretty mild.

Consider an Aeropress for when you travel. On the road, you can't match the flavor. Bring your own supply of ground coffee and your favorite mug, so you don't have to drink from one of those creepy styrofoam things they have in the hotels.
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

I use an expresso maker also. Making a huge pot of coffee seems a waste when I only need 1 or 2 cups per day. Instead, I use enough coffee grounds for 1 shot and just keep running water through until I have enough for a cup. Even diluted like this, the taste has way more flavor than making a drip pot.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Mr Coffee from WalMart.
All the Best, | Joe
lurker415

Post by lurker415 »

Bonavita immersion dripper. All the benefits of a pour-over and without the cleanup of a French press. Highly recommended.
mass_biker

Post by mass_biker »

Highly recommend Technivorm Moccamaster.
The only drip coffee maker worth considering.
Fast, reliable, and HOT.
I have the glass carafe/warming unit.
This is my go-to caffeine device. And this is one circumstance when paying more does make a difference.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

A mixed review. We've owned a Technivorm Moccamaster since 2006 but plan to get rid of it "the next time something happens."

It is interesting timing because I am literally writing this with the coffee-cone lid sitting next to me as I waiting for the super glue to dry.

The big problem with the Technivorm is that everything but the main unit itself is cheap and cheesy, doesn't last, breaks frequently, and the price of replacements is exorbitant.

The brown plastic filter cone--like a $10 Melitta cone but with a little valve so you can choose to hold the flow mid-brew--broke in 2011 and needed to be replaced, at a cost of $40. The new cone broke again a few years later, so I decided I could live without the valve, took a pliers to it, removed the valve and have just kept using it that way. (No, you can't actually fit a Melitta cone in there).

The thermal carafe stopped working in 2013. I suppose the interior glass thermos flask must have cracked or a seal must have broken but we didn't drop it, there was no event, it just quit keeping coffee hot. Just as I'd braced myself to order a new carafe for $75 + $8.95 slow ground shipping + tax, something caught my eye and I noticed... IT COMES WITHOUT THE SCREW TOP. Yes, that's right. The carafe comes with no lid, top, seal, closure, it's just wide open at the top.

The screw top is $12.95 extra. You think I'm exaggerating, right?

(No, that's not an alternative for any standard provided lid, it comes with no lid. Really. I didn't believe it myself, I kept thinking that when the package arrived I'd find there was a lid tucked into the box with carafe after all. Nope.)

About five years ago, the cheesy thin plastic cover for the cone, which is probably important in keeping the water at the SCCA-approved temperature, developed a little crack... then another.... then another. Apparently it can't handle steam temperature indefinitely. I can't even find a replacement for it, but we just periodically keep gluing it together again.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

mass_biker wrote:Highly recommend Technivorm Moccamaster.
Fast, reliable, and HOT.
I have the glass carafe/warming unit.
This is my go-to caffeine device. And this is one circumstance when paying more does make a difference.
I agree and have the same setup. My other coffee and espresso makers are gathering dust in the pantry.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm »

nisiprius wrote:A mixed review. We've owned a Technivorm Moccamaster since 2006 but plan to get rid of it "the next time something happens."

It is interesting timing because I am literally writing this with the coffee-cone lid sitting next to me as I waiting for the super glue to dry.

The big problem with the Technivorm is that everything but the main unit itself is cheap and cheesy, doesn't last, breaks frequently, and the price of replacements is exorbitant.

The brown plastic filter cone--like a $10 Melitta cone but with a little valve so you can choose to hold the flow mid-brew--broke in 2011 and needed to be replaced, at a cost of $40. The new cone broke again a few years later, so I decided I could live without the valve, took a pliers to it, removed the valve and have just kept using it that way. (No, you can't actually fit a Melitta cone in there).

The thermal carafe stopped working in 2013. I suppose the interior glass thermos flask must have cracked or a seal must have broken but we didn't drop it, there was no event, it just quit keeping coffee hot. Just as I'd braced myself to order a new carafe for $75 + $8.95 slow ground shipping + tax, something caught my eye and I noticed... IT COMES WITHOUT THE SCREW TOP. Yes, that's right. The carafe comes with no lid, top, seal, closure, it's just wide open at the top.

The screw top is $12.95 extra. You think I'm exaggerating, right?

(No, that's not an alternative for any standard provided lid, it comes with no lid. Really. I didn't believe it myself, I kept thinking that when the package arrived I'd find there was a lid tucked into the box with carafe after all. Nope.)

About five years ago, the cheesy thin plastic cover for the cone, which is probably important in keeping the water at the SCCA-approved temperature, developed a little crack... then another.... then another. Apparently it can't handle steam temperature indefinitely. I can't even find a replacement for it, but we just periodically keep gluing it together again.
I will keep your review in mind, and my fingers crossed that I do not run into the same hiccups. I do see your angle, the plastic parts that encompass the main unit do remind me of "everyday" coffee maker cheap parts. It would have been nice to be rewarded with aluminum pieces for such a high price.

I will say, my thermal carafe did come with the additional cap so that seals it for transport after brewing. That is odd that yours did not come with it, I'm guessing over the past couple years since you purchased your unit they began including it.

The manual drip basket it key to me so far, I will keep it closed for the first 30 seconds of brewing, then partially open it. Will also give it a few stirs.

I am however, losing ~50ml of water throughout the brewing process. I begin with 320ml for 20g of coffee and end up with 254ml of coffee. Wasn't sure if another coffee snob was familure with the loss of water that is considered acceptable (grind absorption, steam loss etc.).

Cheers.
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm »

aristotelian wrote:French press, aero press, or pour-over give you more control and better results than even the best drip coffee maker.

What is your grinding setup? That is also probably going to make a bigger difference than your coffee maker.
Right now I do use a blade grinder, but I do have it down pretty good getting a consistent grind. Do you recommend I still replace it for a burr grinder?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

The stirs make a big difference.

And, yes, imo a burr grinder does make a difference; have used both. Is a blade grinder a deal breaker? Imho, no.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
autopeep

Post by autopeep »

Keepcalm wrote:
aristotelian wrote:French press, aero press, or pour-over give you more control and better results than even the best drip coffee maker.

Right now I do use a blade grinder, but I do have it down pretty good getting a consistent grind. Do you recommend I still replace it for a burr grinder?
Are you happy with the quality of your coffee? If so, I wouldn't replace anything. You can make excellent coffee with non-ideal machines.

However, if you are trying to optimize your coffee setup, you should replace your grinder. Personally, I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on a coffee machine only to use a 20 dollar spice grinder. That said, I am the type of nerd who roasts his own coffee beans, so you should take my advice with a grain of salt.

I am happy with my burr grinder: https://www.amazon.com/Rancilio-HSD-ROC ... y+rancilio
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Just made my morning coffee with an Aeropress. Great coffee, every time. Of course, if you're making more than 1 or 2 cups, it gets tedious, but I love the results.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Invest4lt wrote:

Have the model with insulated carafe. Love it. Not cheap, but well made.
+1. A year in. It makes superior coffee.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Keepcalm wrote:

Yes! The grind is the key. Other than that, it is just different methods of filtering hot water. I got a used burr grinder off of ebay. Also, a kitchen scale so you get a consistent water to coffee ratio. Then you can eliminate every confounding variable and determine the best method that works for you.
LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney »

Don't spend that kind of money on a drip coffee maker. The functionality isn't any better than machines for 1/5 that price, the quality won't be better than what you'll get from a good grinder and a chemex/kalita/aeropress/french press, and it's not going to impress any coffee fans.

If you're REALLY into coffee and want to spend money on it - the places to do so are 1) on a high-quality burr mill grinder, a good electric kettle with digital temperature setting and on the $$$$$ end 3) on an espresso machine.

My setup is a Bartaza Encore grinder ($120), a Bonavita Gooseneck kettle with variable temp ($75) and a Chemex ($40).

I also have an Aeropress and French Press. Each cost under $40.
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm »

For me, convenience is a big factor. There are a lot of times my schedule is so tight during the week that I just do not have the time to pull out a kettle and Chemex. More time consuming, more items to wash etc.

In addition, I went with this coffee maker in large part due to its build. I appreciate the stainless tank, and I really appreciate the copper piping leading up to a glass tube. 200* water running through molded plastic has been something in the past I dealt with. It is also not made in China.

All the little things about this coffee maker added up, the convenience, the materials used to construct it, and the country in which it was manufactured in. I have watched videos of the company, and a brief showing of what their facility looks like and who their employees on.

Is it a pretty penny to buy? Yes, but guess what. I save 45% of my income. I live well below my means. I buy low quantity high quality.

Lastly. There are a lot of reviews I have gone through of long time owners who are still running theirs today.

So those who bust out their kettle, turn on their stove, and run through all the steps required to hand brewing. Have at it. For me, measuring out 320g of water and 20g of coffee is the extent of what I want to be liable for.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

I pre-ordered one of the Spinn centrifugal grinder/coffee-maker, which got lots of internet hype, but still hasn't shipped... https://www.spinn.com/

Looks good in theory, but they recently announced they're ~6 mo behind in development, with manufacturing still on hold. Time will tell if it was just coffee vaporware!
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

autopeep wrote:Spending hundreds of dollars on a drip coffee maker is analogous to buying high cost active funds. You are paying a premium for no real benefit. The quality/freshness of the beans probably matter more than the coffee maker. I second the recommendation for the aeropress. If you decide to go down the espresso machine rabbit hole, consider the gaggia classic.
This could not possibly be more wrong. The quality of the coffee maker makes a huge difference. To give a perfect example: I roast my own beans, so they are always fresh and high-quality. At home they get brewed in a Bunn commercial pourover-style brewer, identical to what you might find in a restaurant or diner. It both brews at the appropriate temperature (205F) and in the correct amount of time (<5 minutes). Everyone raves about my coffee.

We just went on vacation, and brought our own coffee along. My wife loved the coffee on Thursday, the day we left. On Friday, she literally said "this coffee sucks, did you forget to pack any and buy some from the grocery store?" Nearly everything was identical:

Same beans
Same roast
Same grind
Equivalent water (filtered at home, bottled on vacation)

The only notable difference was the Cuisinart brewer. It neither gets hot enough, nor brews in the correct amount of time. The end result is a mediocre cup of what would otherwise be exceptionally good coffee.

Back OT. The Technivorm makes an excellent cuppa, for the same reason my Bunn does--correct brewing temperature and time. It is one of a VERY select few that do. That said, it is a little finicky, and as noted many of the parts feel cheap. I never actually broke any of them (except for the spout on the thermal carafe) in the 12 years it (KBGT 741) was my primary coffee maker. It did sometimes overflow if you weren't careful with the silly little valve or folded the filter in the wrong direction so it got stuck in the hole.

When mine finally died after brewing ~20,000 pots--heating element sprung a leak and started tripping the breaker--my first impulse was to buy another one, likely the larger model CDT Grand. But then I read some reviews of the Bunn, found the CW15-TC for a similar price as the larger Technivorm (was more after buying the not-included thermal carafe), and pulled the trigger. It's designed to make 8 pots of coffee per hour, 12 hours per day for decades, so I figure with my 3 pots/day I should be able to give it to my grandkids when I'm too old to drink coffee anymore. :mrgreen:

2.5 years later, I'm incredibly happy with my decision, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Last year, we swapped out the Kitchenaid ProLine grinder for a Bunn LPG-1, and things only improved, especially from a convenience perspective--it grinds an exactly correct dose of beans directly into the brew basket. Burrs are supposed to be replaced every 30,000 lbs of coffee, so it will likely go to the grandkids as well.
mass_biker wrote:Highly recommend Technivorm Moccamaster.
Fast, reliable, and HOT.
This is a slight exaggeration. There are a small number of other drip coffee makers worth considering. But it is indeed a VERY short list, and the Technivorm has been on it for a LONG time.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

The only way to know (at this point) is to buy and try and report your taste buds' results.

For me, a $13 electric kettle, a $6 Melitta cone/pour over device and some #2 paper filters makes any sized cup exactly right. While the water is heating, I get my cup, cone, filter and coffee ready. A few minutes to "pour over" and it is done. Very little cleanup. Some rinsing and tossing of the filter with grounds.

We do have a Keurig for guests and an occasional fast cup.
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

moghopper wrote:
I've had a Zojirushi for a number of years. https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-EC-BD1 ... B0000X7CMQ

I had this same maker. It worked well while I used it.

I've since moved to French press and Aeropress, depending on how much coffee I want to make and drink.
Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea »

autopeep wrote:Spending hundreds of dollars on a drip coffee maker is analogous to buying high cost active funds. You are paying a premium for no real benefit. The quality/freshness of the beans probably matter more than the coffee maker. I second the recommendation for the aeropress. If you decide to go down the espresso machine rabbit hole, consider the gaggia classic.

A good drip machine is definitely worth it. Most of the drip machines use under-powered heating elements that take a long time to heat up. This has unfortunate side effects. The first half of the water going through the filter is too cold and doesn't extract enough of the flavour. The second half of the water going through the filter is too hot and creates a burned taste in the coffee. The end result is weak burned coffee. No matter the quality of the beans you can destroy any flavour in them with a cheap drip machine.

A good drip machine has a more high powered heating element that gets to temperature quicker and then holds that temperature. As has been mentioned already, the Bonavita is a pretty good alternative to the Technivorm. At the time I bought mine it was half the price of a Technivorm. For the price of the Technivorm the original poster should be able to get himself a Bonavita and a good quality burr grinder.
It’s not just that facts don’t seem to matter anymore. It’s that it doesn’t seem to matter that facts don’t matter.
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

I also have an answer to a question that you didn't ask :P

I use a small cheapo grinder, and a moka pot. Coffee seems pretty good to me when made this way. I gave up on figuring out which coffee machine to buy. Seemed to me to be too much noise on which one is good. There are some that meet a certain association's specs, though. I think the technivorm is one of them.
Last edited by investnoob on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xkunalx

Post by xkunalx »

As a recently (self) crowned coffee snob, I have to say temperature makes a huge difference. Any one of these will be excellent:
http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

I personally love my french press, but also got a Behmor Smart Brewer as a toy and for the convenience.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

moghopper wrote:

I have the Zojirushi as well, it's not bad.

It becomes a lot better after this inexpensive hack: ($2 plus 10 minutes time)
- Remove the basket
- Take apart the top of the machine, there are clips holding it together
- You'll find a vertical tube through which the hot water travels
- Take the pipe to Home Depot with you for reference and buy a length of poly pipe that will fit _around_ the water pipe
- Cut the new pipe to fit the full length of the original water pipe
- Reinstall the water pipe and slide your new poly pipe over it to form a protective 'shroud'
- Reassemble the top of the machine, drop in the basket

This way the heater water will not cool down as it passes through the cold water in the reservoir. I saw this trick in one of the amazon reviews for this machine, it works well!

I forget what the type of pipe is called, but it's similar to the stuff used for refrigerator water lines. I think the size is a half inch diameter. You want it just large enough to fit the original water pipe within it.

There's definitely a difference between coffee makers. My aunt has the technivorm and her coffee is always wonderful. My MIL has a $15 Black & Decker and her coffee is always terrible. (Starbucks manages to make terrible coffee despite having great machines and great sources for beans... I think they burn their beans)

When my Zoijirushi breaks I'll be getting the Bonavita or Technivorm. Life is too short for bad coffee.