Upcoming Marriott Stay

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

Upcoming Marriott Stay

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:15 pm

There's a Marriott I'd like to stay at in downtown Pittsburgh for an upcoming event - according to the site, it's about $200 per night and I am woefully short on the necessary Marriott points to book a rewards stay. Any other programs I could transfer from - or - any suggestions for getting better rates at a Marriott property? I am a Gold Marriott member if that still means anything. Thank you.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

tibbitts

Re: Upcoming Marriott Stay

Post by tibbitts » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:There's a Marriott I'd like to stay at in downtown Pittsburgh for an upcoming event - according to the site, it's about $200 per night and I am woefully short on the necessary Marriott points to book a rewards stay. Any other programs I could transfer from - or - any suggestions for getting better rates at a Marriott property? I am a Gold Marriott member if that still means anything. Thank you.
Well, I had a great experience at a Holiday Inn Express - I'd reserved at the usual $200-ish rate and the front desk gave me a rate $50 or so less when I showed up (and told me they were doing it), so I guess you could always ask, maybe on the phone before you reserve and then later when you arrive. That's never happened to me before, but I really appreciated it. I had bought another night consecutive to it with points.

Otherwise just try all the usual discounts I guess. Sometimes you just want the hotel you want and have to pay for it.

If you don't have the Rewards credit card, get one...but probably you won't get your points in time for the trip unless it's a while off.

And then don't forget to use your annual free night. Mine for this year might have expired a few days ago, but I'm certainly not going to admit that on the Bogleheads forum.

VaR

Post by VaR » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:23 pm

Marriott and Starwood are merging and so SPG points are convertible to Marriott points. This also means that anything you can convert to SPG points can transitively be converted to Marriott points. So AMEX membership rewards points can be converted to SPG and then converted to Marriott points.

Chase Ultimate Rewards points are also transferrable to Marriott, but the transfer rate doesn't make it a good deal.

Alternatively, do you have enough time to get some points using a signup bonus?

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:32 pm

Call the hotel manager and see if they will give you a deal. Apparently this is a travel secret that they will often give a deal, throw in free parking, Wi-Fi, etc if you call and ask.

csm

Post by csm » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:46 am

I'm not sure about Marriott, but some rewards programs will allow you to book a points + cash stay, so you could use the points you have to lower the out-of-pocket cost.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:19 am

Do they give discounts for AAA or AARP or USAA members (whatever applies to you)?

Can you change your dates? Possibly they are fully booked (except for the most expensive rooms) for some big event on the days you selected? Big events can be college move in days/graduations, sporting events, conferences.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:56 am

celia wrote:Do they give discounts for AAA or AARP or USAA members (whatever applies to you)?

Can you change your dates? Possibly they are fully booked (except for the most expensive rooms) for some big event on the days you selected? Big events can be college move in days/graduations, sporting events, conferences.
Marriott has lower rates at times, and I'm sure the hotel's occupancy rate controls this, to Seniors (62 and older), AAA members, and state and/or federal government employees. Their web site allows searching flexible dates while using the applicable discounted rate. The further out you book, the better possibility that the discounted rates are available. My wife and I have taken advantage of all three of these discounts at one time or another. They almost never ask for proof of eligibility, but make sure that you have it in case they do or they can increase the rate at checkin.

Bmac

Post by Bmac » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:27 am

To be fair, $200/night in a nice hotel in a downtown metropolitan area seems like a pretty good rate. Plus, as a gold member I would think you should have access to whatever "executive" room they have that probably includes free breakfast and other snacks during the day which can be a pretty big money saver.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:38 am

To be fair, $200/night in a nice hotel in a downtown metropolitan area seems like a pretty good rate. Plus, as a gold member I would think you should have access to whatever "executive" room they have that probably includes free breakfast and other snacks during the day which can be a pretty big money saver.
I know this is true....I just happen to belong to that contingent of miles & points hobbyists who usually get rooms at the cost of accumulating them, so my perception is skewed.

Thanks for the suggestions all.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:01 am

Barefootgirl wrote:
I know this is true....I just happen to belong to that contingent of miles & points hobbyists who usually get rooms at the cost of accumulating them, so my perception is skewed.

Thanks for the suggestions all.
I don't understand what that means. I suppose you could pay to stay for ten nights or something starting now and then get the room for free - the "cost of accumulating" doesn't seem like a bargain, since you have to pay it. Often when you stay for an employer it will be at a direct-billed discounted rate in exchange for not providing you with any points, etc. so I guess you could try to do some kind of negotiation like that.

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:49 am

Barefootgirl wrote: Any other programs I could transfer from
Some airlines allow a transfer. I know United points can transfer directly to Marriott, and I know American doesn't.

If you don't have a Mariott Credit Card, the sign-on point bonus is pretty good.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:54 am

If you have Chase UR points, you can transfer points from Chase to Marriott.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:25 pm

If you are ok about being around that area and not specifically that Marriott then check out hotwire.com. I use it often and it is much better priced (sometimes half the price). Only thing is that you won't know which hotel it is. But anything 3 star and above is reasonably decent.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:49 pm

eddot98 wrote:
celia wrote:Do they give discounts for AAA or AARP or USAA members (whatever applies to you)?

Marriott has lower rates at times, and I'm sure the hotel's occupancy rate controls this, to Seniors (62 and older), AAA members, and state and/or federal government employees. Their web site allows searching flexible dates while using the applicable discounted rate.
Make sure to search each rate separately. Unlike many hotel web sites, Marriott searches only the rates for your selected discount, not any other rates which may be lower. If a hotel has a $160 rack rate, $144 AAA rate of 10% off the rack rate, and $120 weekend rate, a search for AAA rates will show the $144 rate on a room which anyone could book for $120.
David Grabiner