Road noise in 2017 Honda CRV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

Road noise in 2017 Honda CRV?

Post by CULater » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:56 am

Buying a new small SUV and like the new Honda CRV. However, the one fly in the ointment is that a couple of reviews have mentioned that the vehicle has some road noise on pavement that is not smooth. I have an older CRV and road noise has always been a bane of that vehicle and I want it gone. Like to hear from anybody who has bought a 2017 recently. Do you notice much road nose in the vehicle when driving on un-smooth highway surfaces? How bad is it? Any other drawbacks you may have noticed?
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

TheGreyingDuke

Re: Road noise in 2017 Honda CRV?

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:02 am

I have a passing familiarity with the 2017 CRV but do know that much road noise (as opposed to engine/wind noise) is dependent on the tires. I have experience with other vehicles that changing the tires to ones that ride quieter, made a big difference.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:43 am

TheGreyingDuke wrote:I have a passing familiarity with the 2017 CRV but do know that much road noise (as opposed to engine/wind noise) is dependent on the tires. I have experience with other vehicles that changing the tires to ones that ride quieter, made a big difference.

Agreed - we have 2 Honda CRV's and if we are just talking road noise it is a product of the tires selected.

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:51 am

you need soft tires

Soft tires are touring style tires don't choose performance tires they are hard

JPH

Post by JPH » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:53 am

I just purchased a 2017 CR-V EX. The road noise is not too bad in my opinion. The salesman said that Honda has added some extra insulation to the 2017 to address the problem in older models. Not as quiet as some luxury models, of course.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:12 am

Why trust reviews? Go drive one yourself and decide. Road noise if very subjective. IME the entire crop of Japanese midsize cars is about the same: quiet enough. Try a luxury car if you want more quietne$$.

Swimmer

Post by Swimmer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:17 am

JPH wrote:I just purchased a 2017 CR-V EX. The road noise is not too bad in my opinion. The salesman said that Honda has added some extra insulation to the 2017 to address the problem in older models. Not as quiet as some luxury models, of course.

I think you're correct. We went from a Lexus sedan to a CRV. It is noisier but we probably wouldn't notice it had we not moved from the Lexus. :annoyed We've gotten used to it.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:21 am

misterno wrote:you need soft tires

This is a bit confusing, but I understand what you're saying.

You mean (I believe) that soft SIDEWALLS make the tire quieter. As opposed to soft compound tires, which of course will typically come with very stiff sidewalls. Race tires are extremely soft compound, extremely stiff sidewall.

Tread design also makes a difference and that's where looking at tire rack reviews help a lot.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:24 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
misterno wrote:you need soft tires

This is a bit confusing, but I understand what you're saying.

You mean (I believe) that soft SIDEWALLS make the tire quieter. As opposed to soft compound tires, which of course will typically come with very stiff sidewalls. Race tires are extremely soft compound, extremely stiff sidewall.

Tread design also makes a difference and that's where looking at tire rack reviews help a lot.
well I read somewhere that people like me who lives where the highways are all concrete (Houston) should get touring tires not performance

Touring style is softer than performance appearantly

that is all I aknow

CULater

Post by CULater » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:48 pm

Looks like the stock tire on the 2017 CRV is the Hankook Kinergy. According to Tirerack ratings it has a mediocre satisfaction rating of 4.7 and is mediocre to poor in snow and ice traction and treadwear. Ride quality and noise are good but not as good as the top-rated tires. Doesn't compare very well to the Michelins and Continental in this category. Might be worth seeing if I can get a tire swap at purchase.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

metalworking

Post by metalworking » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:05 pm

My understanding is that dealers tires on new cars are usually, "softer" than the tires you buy from Tire rama and those types of stores. Because of this they are quieter but they don't last as long. I would drive the car and see what you think about the road noise since it is probably as good as it is going to get with the new dealer soft tires on it.

snowman

Post by snowman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:12 pm

Road noise is a trademark of Honda cars, comparatively speaking. If that criterion is really important to you, you should look elsewhere. Even the best tires are not going to make much of a difference (speaking from personal experience).

Go and test drive it yourself, see if it bothers you that much. If it's tolerable, you are getting excellent vehicle and a great value. If it's not, there are plenty other choices.

CULater

Post by CULater » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:25 pm

metalworking wrote:My understanding is that dealers tires on new cars are usually, "softer" than the tires you buy from Tire rama and those types of stores. Because of this they are quieter but they don't last as long. I would drive the car and see what you think about the road noise since it is probably as good as it is going to get with the new dealer soft tires on it.
You could be right and that's the reason for the poor tire wear on the Hankooks. You would think that soft tires would have better traction on snow and ice though.

metalworking

Post by metalworking » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:12 pm

quote]
You could be right and that's the reason for the poor tire wear on the Hankooks. You would think that soft tires would have better traction on snow and ice though.[/quote]

I think you are correct that technically softer tires should equal better traction. But the tread/traction control system and other factors may be more important (not sure though). I hate road noise and I'd gladly accept the tradeoff off on tire life but not traction

gary11

Post by gary11 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:01 pm

snowman wrote:Road noise is a trademark of Honda cars, comparatively speaking.
This is a very interesting observation and I have come to similar conclusion as we have been driving 2008 CR-V, we still like the car but the road noise seems to never go away even after switching to three different brands of tires and many of Honda owners that I have asked to tend to agree. I would not another CR-V just for this reason.

straws46

Post by straws46 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:15 pm

test drove an MDX hybrid, Lexus RX hybrid and CRV recently. Expected there to be more of a difference in the interior sound and comfort, but was pleasantly surprised by the CRV. It doesn't compare to the MDX for size and performance, but it's not supposed to. Those were just the top three on our list. It is very hard to justify the additional cost.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:44 pm

I wonder if there is any chance of getting a dealer to include a tire swap as part of the purchase of a new CRV? Has anyone ever tried that? I wouldn't mind paying something for a tire upgrade, but I wouldn't want to pay full price for the new tires, which might run $700 - $800 for a set of Michelins or Continentals.

snowman

Post by snowman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:59 am

CULater wrote:I wonder if there is any chance of getting a dealer to include a tire swap as part of the purchase of a new CRV? Has anyone ever tried that? I wouldn't mind paying something for a tire upgrade, but I wouldn't want to pay full price for the new tires, which might run $700 - $800 for a set of Michelins or Continentals.
Several points. One, dealer has no incentive to give you "tire upgrade", it doesn't fit their business model. You are better off buying through tire chain like DT at a much lower price with free lifetime road hazard and rotations. Second, it won't be $700-$800 if you shop around. Third, and most important, Hondas are noisy cars, and no amount of "tire upgrade" will make the road noise go away, whether you are talking Civic, Accord, CR-V or Pilot.

Compared to other brands within each category, Honda will be noisier, period. If that feature really bothers you, than don't buy it, you will not be happy camper in the long run unless you get used to it. Many Toyota drivers, for example, when shopping for a new vehicle, find it surprising after test driving Honda vehicle how so many people find the road noise tolerable and actually buy that car.

I have a 2003 Accord with 220K miles on it and I love it! Drives like new, interior looks like 2-3 year old car, extremely dependable if you do basic maintenance, and - yes - noisy! I've had 3 sets of best Michelin tires, and the only difference you can tell is the first 5-10K miles on the new tire when the noise is gently suppressed, than it goes back up to its usual high level.

Many people, like my wife, don't notice, to them all cars are the same. Those are the people that will claim they own Honda and it's a nice and quite vehicle and they are happy with it and so will you, just put Michelins on it if the road noise bothers you. For the rest of us, it's a trade-off to consider when weighing pluses and minuses of a new vehicle. I am a car guy and I can tell you that Honda is a great value and will last you a long time with basic maintenance, but if the road noise really, really bothers you, it's not a car for you.

As I said before, go and test drive it. Not once - do it 3 times, at different dealerships, different times of day (and night), different roads. You will get a realistic sense of how the car performs. Do the same with competition you are considering, preferably at the same time, so you have instant comparison in your mind. I wish you good luck!

CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:41 am

snowman wrote:
CULater wrote:I wonder if there is any chance of getting a dealer to include a tire swap as part of the purchase of a new CRV? Has anyone ever tried that? I wouldn't mind paying something for a tire upgrade, but I wouldn't want to pay full price for the new tires, which might run $700 - $800 for a set of Michelins or Continentals.
Several points. One, dealer has no incentive to give you "tire upgrade", it doesn't fit their business model. You are better off buying through tire chain like DT at a much lower price with free lifetime road hazard and rotations. Second, it won't be $700-$800 if you shop around. Third, and most important, Hondas are noisy cars, and no amount of "tire upgrade" will make the road noise go away, whether you are talking Civic, Accord, CR-V or Pilot.

Compared to other brands within each category, Honda will be noisier, period. If that feature really bothers you, than don't buy it, you will not be happy camper in the long run unless you get used to it. Many Toyota drivers, for example, when shopping for a new vehicle, find it surprising after test driving Honda vehicle how so many people find the road noise tolerable and actually buy that car.

I have a 2003 Accord with 220K miles on it and I love it! Drives like new, interior looks like 2-3 year old car, extremely dependable if you do basic maintenance, and - yes - noisy! I've had 3 sets of best Michelin tires, and the only difference you can tell is the first 5-10K miles on the new tire when the noise is gently suppressed, than it goes back up to its usual high level.

Many people, like my wife, don't notice, to them all cars are the same. Those are the people that will claim they own Honda and it's a nice and quite vehicle and they are happy with it and so will you, just put Michelins on it if the road noise bothers you. For the rest of us, it's a trade-off to consider when weighing pluses and minuses of a new vehicle. I am a car guy and I can tell you that Honda is a great value and will last you a long time with basic maintenance, but if the road noise really, really bothers you, it's not a car for you.

As I said before, go and test drive it. Not once - do it 3 times, at different dealerships, different times of day (and night), different roads. You will get a realistic sense of how the car performs. Do the same with competition you are considering, preferably at the same time, so you have instant comparison in your mind. I wish you good luck!
Thanks. I know Hondas have always had a firm ride and road noise. I traded a 99 Accord Coupe because I couldn't stand the harsh ride. I still own a 2002 CRV and I can't even talk on the cellphone unless I'm on a smooth asphalt highway, and I feel every bump and crack in the road. You might be right that a tire upgrade is not the answer. What I'm hoping is that 2017 CRV has been significantly improved, as many of the reviews seem to indicate. However, there are still some reviews that suggest that the ride is still noisy on rough pavement. I will TD it if I can find some rough highway surface but hoping that owners of the vehicle might be able to comment. Really like the new CRV and don't think it has much competition currently in the small SUV sector, but I refuse to live with a noisy vehicle since I've already put in my 15 years doing it with my old CRV.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:56 am

snowman wrote:Road noise is a trademark of Honda cars, comparatively speaking. If that criterion is really important to you, you should look elsewhere. Even the best tires are not going to make much of a difference (speaking from personal experience).

Go and test drive it yourself, see if it bothers you that much. If it's tolerable, you are getting excellent vehicle and a great value. If it's not, there are plenty other choices.
Agreed. I changed tires on mine after reading reviews and there was no noticeable difference. Was a 2002 CRV.

snowman

Post by snowman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:47 am

CULater wrote: Thanks. I know Hondas have always had a firm ride and road noise. I traded a 99 Accord Coupe because I couldn't stand the harsh ride. I still own a 2002 CRV and I can't even talk on the cellphone unless I'm on a smooth asphalt highway, and I feel every bump and crack in the road. You might be right that a tire upgrade is not the answer. What I'm hoping is that 2017 CRV has been significantly improved, as many of the reviews seem to indicate. However, there are still some reviews that suggest that the ride is still noisy on rough pavement. I will TD it if I can find some rough highway surface but hoping that owners of the vehicle might be able to comment. Really like the new CRV and don't think it has much competition currently in the small SUV sector, but I refuse to live with a noisy vehicle since I've already put in my 15 years doing it with my old CRV.
I understand what you are saying, the problem with asking here is that the sample is extremely small, and within that sample you will have people oblivious to noise (so they have no idea what you are talking about). Other people will have experience with 1 model year only, so it will be hard for them to compare. And to top it all off, 2017 is guaranteed to be less noisy than 2002 (goes across entire Honda lineup), but that's irrelevant for you if 2017 Honda is much noisier than 2017 Toyota, for example.

If you like Honda but hate Honda noise and firm ride, Honda wants you to buy Acura. I know, the value you are looking at goes away, but that's Honda's business model, take it or leave it. I do know that Honda lowered road noise in latest generations of Accord and Pilot, so it's possible they have done the same to CR-V.

Your best bet is to look at Toyota - the value remains, without the noise and harsh ride. In the segment you are looking at, Forester is a great value also, not sure about noise levels. Alternatively, you can buy used Lexus, those are well made vehicles and will last a long time. There are other choices also. I would forget the tire upgrade route - you would be setting yourself up for another long term disappointment.

Some pointers for TD: take someone with you who is as noise sensitive as you are, and have them sit quietly so you get second opinion. Never take sales person with you, as they will just distract you. After Honda TD, take your friend to Toyota or Subaru or XYZ dealership, and TD their vehicle on the same roads. That's the best you can do - any kind of online reviews are going to be subjective and unhelpful to you. You may also notice that seat comfort - the most important feature - is better (or worse) in non-Honda vehicle, which may seal the deal (either way). Again, I wish you good luck!

oregonian

Post by oregonian » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:03 pm

We bought a 2017 CR-V EX-L a couple of months ago after starting the search for a compact 4WD SUV in October 2016. Our priority list was cargo capacity, quiet, comfort. Wanted 27 mpg or above, i.e. 4 cylinder. Price/Value too of course.

We found the 2017 CR-V EX-L much improved in interior noise compared to the 2016 and previous years we drove in. The interior noise on a chip seal road surface is still quite high, but we didn't find that this was different to us compared to other vehicles we test drove, including a Lexus NX. Chip seal roads are noisy. And awful to ride a bike on too. Somehow they make sense to somebody.

We are very happy with the CR-V it a few months in.

Buying experience was outside my previous experiences with respect to dealers in Oregon only interested in selling off their lots. Not a big N though, we only buy cars every ten years or so, but I've been used to specifying particular packages and options and not having any trouble getting them.

I got no discount in particular ($1K off MSRP), and that because I got Costco and internet quotes from multiple dealers. Paid cash.

Word from two of the sales managers I worked with is that Honda discourages dealers from ordering specific vehicles and since the CR-V market was hot they particularly didn't want to handle orders. We were looking for a particular color and absence of dealer add ons.

What I learned: the market space is highly competitive, all the vehicles we drove seemed reasonable. There is a vehicle made to your particular needs/wants, your challenge is to find out which one it is.

We drove the Rav-4, Rav-4 hybrid, Subaru (entire line), Mazda CX-5, Nissan Murano and Rogue and Ford Escape. It came down to the Escape and the CR-V. The Escape had oodles of discounts, which brought the almost equivalent package down to within $1K of the CR-V, without the adaptive cruise control and warning sensor system of the CR-V.

We chose the CR-V because of the trim line choices fit our style and wants more closely.

While it was not a real consideration in the research because I though the technology was still too new, I have used the adaptive cruise control quite a bit and like it. It is a step in the right direction, and pretty impressive.

Sat in a Tesla Model X (failed Price/Value, but it someone had given me $100K I would have bought it).

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:01 pm

Here's what I do:

Turn up the radio.

Turn down the hearing aids.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Recently traded out our 2006 CRV -- a low end model which was indeed pretty noisy.

The choice came down to a 2017 CRV or a 2017 Subaru Forester, again both low end versions of the model. The final choice was made on other factors, but there is no question the Forester is significantly quieter than the latest CRV.

nura

Post by nura » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:52 pm

People buy Hondas for quiet rides as much as buying BMWs for being cheap to maintain.

misterno

Post by misterno » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:59 pm

nura wrote:People buy Hondas for quiet rides as much as buying BMWs for being cheap to maintain.
BMWs cheap to maintain?

Can you elaborate?

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Consumer reports on the 2017 Honda CRV....

"Crucially, noise is much better managed. The CR-V’s notoriously loud road noise is almost eradicated, contributing to the car’s more substantial and premium feel."

Full article here....
http://www.consumerreports.org/2017/201 ... ve-review/

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:33 pm

nura wrote:People buy Hondas for quiet rides as much as buying BMWs for being cheap to maintain.
Or Land Rover for something not too ostentatious...

CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Drove one yesterday over some rough road surface and it seemed OK to me, at least for the price. I figure I'll find some road surfaces that drive me nuts but so far it's all good...

ragabnh

Post by ragabnh » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:52 pm

Toyota trumps Honda when it comes to quietness in a car, I would consider Rav4 or better yet Highlander.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:47 pm

CULater wrote:Buying a new small SUV and like the new Honda CRV. However, the one fly in the ointment is that a couple of reviews have mentioned that the vehicle has some road noise on pavement that is not smooth. I have an older CRV and road noise has always been a bane of that vehicle and I want it gone. Like to hear from anybody who has bought a 2017 recently. Do you notice much road nose in the vehicle when driving on un-smooth highway surfaces? How bad is it? Any other drawbacks you may have noticed?
OP - For what its worth, I drive a 2013 CR-V EX-L and DW drives a 2017 CR-V Touring. Her '17 Touring is noticeably quieter than my '13 EX-L when driven on same roads. The Touring is quieter and ride is smoother by a significant amount. 2017 Touring was more cabin insulation and has Auto Noise Cancellation (ANC), which seem to make a difference.

I cannot speak for how the 2017 Touring compares to other SUVs, but it is definitely a lot quieter and smoother than the 2010, 2011 and 2013 CR-Vs I have driven myself.

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:12 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
CULater wrote:Buying a new small SUV and like the new Honda CRV. However, the one fly in the ointment is that a couple of reviews have mentioned that the vehicle has some road noise on pavement that is not smooth. I have an older CRV and road noise has always been a bane of that vehicle and I want it gone. Like to hear from anybody who has bought a 2017 recently. Do you notice much road nose in the vehicle when driving on un-smooth highway surfaces? How bad is it? Any other drawbacks you may have noticed?
OP - For what its worth, I drive a 2013 CR-V EX-L and DW drives a 2017 CR-V Touring. Her '17 Touring is noticeably quieter than my '13 EX-L when driven on same roads. The Touring is quieter and ride is smoother by a significant amount. 2017 Touring was more cabin insulation and has Auto Noise Cancellation (ANC), which seem to make a difference.

I cannot speak for how the 2017 Touring compares to other SUVs, but it is definitely a lot quieter and smoother than the 2010, 2011 and 2013 CR-Vs I have driven myself.
Thanks for that comparison. Not many can do an A-B comparison like you are able to. Reassuring. it seems to support some reviews that say the 17 is quieter and better riding than previous versions.

RCL

Post by RCL » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:13 pm

I bought an inexpensive sound level meter and took it with me on all road tests. We have just about every kind of manufacturer of cars in my location, so I was able to pretty much perform test drives of potential vehicles over the same stretch of roads.
There was quite a difference in the cabin noise measured.
Be aware, air conditioner/heater blower motors are also a major source of cabin noise.

There was talk somewhere up-thread about the hardness/softness of tires.
I had a Honda/Acura product that was not very quiet on rough pavement.
I ended up going up one sidewall dimension, and that made a huge difference. (Figured I didn't need high speed rated tires)