Questions about security camera systems

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
miamivice

Questions about security camera systems

Post by miamivice » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:08 pm

I am thinking about installing a security camera system at my home. I am curious as to other's experience with this. Costco has some nify 8, 16, and 32 camera systems that I am considering purchasing.

My questions are:

1) How many cameras?

2) How expensive was it to install? Labor costs to run wires primarily.

3) How much ongoing maintenance is it to keep it working?

4) How much do you like it?

rick0

Re: Questions about security camera systems

Post by rick0 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:02 pm

1) 2. I was only interested in covering the front.
2) $0 - did it myself - wire was included in package.
3) None - mine are mounted far enough under the eaves that they don't get wet.
4) Pretty good - We review it occasionally. Mostly insurance if something disappears!

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:20 am

How many cameras depends on your unique house plan.

I installed two outside my house and one inside my house. I purchased these three Nest cameras ($547) after the Arlo cameras I previously bought failed to correctly connect with my internet.

There was no installation cost, aside from my time.

I'm still on a free trial for cloud storage of the video, but in a few weeks I'll be paying $200/year for cloud storage.

The Nest cameras seem to be working pretty reliably. Cloud storage is the way to go. Just recently, I saw a news report of someone burglars who stole the recording system for the security cameras that someone installed.

Cigarman

Post by Cigarman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:23 am

We have a 4 camera Logitech system (which they have discontinued) and find it invaluable. Excellent quality. Self installed, uses houses wiring to send signal to router so we only had to run an ethernet cable to each camera. Also have access via cell phone which is a must.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:17 am

I bought a Lorex system from Costco four years ago and installed it in a family-owned store myself.

1. 8 Cameras
2. I ran most of the wires myself, and had an electrician run two of them while he was here doing other work. Probably cost a couple hundred dollars.
3. No maintenance in four years. No problem with either indoor or outdoor cameras.
4. It works just fine.

Cloud storage is the way to go. Just recently, I saw a news report of someone burglars who stole the recording system for the security cameras that someone installed.
I can see how that is a plus, but we don't have cloud storage. It would be possible to steal the DVR to take the video evidence, but we also have an alarm system, so setting off the alarm when nobody is there would probably frighten them off before they could take the DVR.
Also have access via cell phone which is a must.
I agree. This is a nice feature. We can use it on both Apple and Android cell phones. I've even used it while away to check if it's snowing, and if the parking lot needs plowed.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

queso

Post by queso » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:26 am

miamivice wrote:I am thinking about installing a security camera system at my home. I am curious as to other's experience with this. Costco has some nify 8, 16, and 32 camera systems that I am considering purchasing.

My questions are:

1) How many cameras?

I considered wired from Costco, but in the end decided against it since I didn't want to fiddle with it. The wireless systems just keep getting better and better. I had a Cisco system for a while and then upgraded to a Dlink when some of the cameras stopped working reliably. That system worked well for a few years and now I have upgraded to a 5 camera Arlo system. So far it has been fantastic. Good video quality, decent battery life and install was, of course, extremely simple since no wires. I have one ADT camera that came with my Pulse system, but I decided not to go down the ADT route since the costs were much higher than the Arlo system and the system has a fraction of the capability.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:50 am

queso wrote:
miamivice wrote:I am thinking about installing a security camera system at my home. I am curious as to other's experience with this. Costco has some nify 8, 16, and 32 camera systems that I am considering purchasing.

My questions are:

1) How many cameras?

I considered wired from Costco, but in the end decided against it since I didn't want to fiddle with it. The wireless systems just keep getting better and better. I had a Cisco system for a while and then upgraded to a Dlink when some of the cameras stopped working reliably. That system worked well for a few years and now I have upgraded to a 5 camera Arlo system. So far it has been fantastic. Good video quality, decent battery life and install was, of course, extremely simple since no wires. I have one ADT camera that came with my Pulse system, but I decided not to go down the ADT route since the costs were much higher than the Arlo system and the system has a fraction of the capability.

I hear the lag from motion detected to video capture starting is pretty bad in the Arlo systems. Have you noticed that?

queso

Post by queso » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:57 am

new2bogle wrote:
queso wrote:

My questions are:

1) How many cameras?

I hear the lag from motion detected to video capture starting is pretty bad in the Arlo systems. Have you noticed that?
I have not noticed it (yet..), but I'll keep an eye out for it. Not sure which Arlo system the problem was reported with, but mine are newer so are all Arlo Pro (if that makes a difference). I know that was a big complaint about the Ring doorbell. People would only get video captures that showed someone's back after they had walked up to the door and were turning to leave. Maybe it's how I have mine positioned that is reducing the effect of it if it is an issue? So far I am getting great snippets that are clear enough to easily identify visitors. I am also catching the neighbor's cats walking across my yard and occasionally a fox or two. I'll keep an eye on it and repost if it becomes a problem.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:08 am

queso wrote:
new2bogle wrote:
queso wrote:

My questions are:

1) How many cameras?

I have not noticed it (yet..), but I'll keep an eye out for it. Not sure which Arlo system the problem was reported with, but mine are newer so are all Arlo Pro (if that makes a difference). I know that was a big complaint about the Ring doorbell. People would only get video captures that showed someone's back after they had walked up to the door and were turning to leave. Maybe it's how I have mine positioned that is reducing the effect of it if it is an issue? So far I am getting great snippets that are clear enough to easily identify visitors. I am also catching the neighbor's cats walking across my yard and occasionally a fox or two. I'll keep an eye on it and repost if it becomes a problem.
Thanks for the feedback, I will look into the newer Arlo and Arlo Pro.

How often do you change the batteries?

queso

Post by queso » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:20 am

new2bogle wrote:
queso wrote:
new2bogle wrote:
queso wrote:

My questions are:

1) How many cameras?

Thanks for the feedback, I will look into the newer Arlo and Arlo Pro.

How often do you change the batteries?
That is my one complaint about the system so far. I came from systems that used AC power so I kind of had an idea of what I was getting into with battery powered units and took that into account when mounting them (not too hard to reach, etc.). I have found that the published intervals are a bit optimistic for high traffic areas. My cameras at the front door that catch every coming and going, package deliveries, dog walker, etc. are going to need to be changed about every 2 months (the others at least twice that long, but I haven't had the setup through a winter yet so I expect battery life to be shorter in colder weather). To mitigate that I bought 1 additional battery (one came with the Costco 3 camera pack) and a charger so I'll keep 2 Arlo packs charged and ready to swap in that location so I don't have to take the cameras down to charge them. IMHO, that's a pretty dumb design (or a smart play if you want to sell chargers) unless your Arlos are in a location that is easily reachable by AC power (mine aren't) or you plan to recharge them with a power bank or something. The USB port to connect the charging cable is in the Arlo camera itself so if you take the battery out you have no way to charge it. Unless, of course, you buy the Arlo charger which is another $50. With my 2 extra batteries and my cameras having varied battery usage I think I have a workable rotation schedule so I won't ever have a camera down.
Last edited by queso on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:35 am

I am interested in following this thread for our condo and parking area.

One totally climate controlled and the other just under a covered carport.

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:32 pm

There are a ton of security camera threads, a simple search away. Here are just a few:

viewtopic.php?t=199764
viewtopic.php?t=138691
viewtopic.php?t=220270
viewtopic.php?t=171739

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Cigarman wrote:We have a 4 camera Logitech system (which they have discontinued) and find it invaluable. Excellent quality. Self installed, uses houses wiring to send signal to router so we only had to run an ethernet cable to each camera. Also have access via cell phone which is a must.
Does yours have similarities to this one?

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ ... ity-camera

I got an e-mail from them pushing this a few months ago before it was available. It looks pretty intriguing for my needs and extremely simple. If I can find a Black Friday deal, I might take a bite.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:09 am

I had a hard wired system by Digital Watchdog installed. Huge mistake. It was expensive and support is very difficult to get as the end user. Buy this system and you are basically an annuity for the installer. Any little problem with it and you will be out $500-$1000 for your installer to come and troubleshoot it.

meebers

Post by meebers » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:46 pm

I have an 8 camera system that I installed myself about 8 years ago. (winter time to run wires in attic). I has a 1TB hdd that lasts about 2 months before I have to reformat it. The system is on a UPS, (DVR and camera power warts) that should go for 1/2 hr before shut down, when and if there is a power loss. Some things I am going to upgrade with the next system I buy, is highest quality, withing reason, HD cameras with at least 100ft night vision, IR illuminators where needed. At least a 2TB hdd, more if you have 16 and up cameras. Cloud storage, although I can see my cameras from my cell phone any where I might be, BUT have to have access to my internal intranet to do that. If the power is out etc, no visibility after the UPS has been exhausted. Cloud is a good backup. When my HDD runs out, it does not start writing over the first recorded data, it just stops! I have to check on it weekly. IF the HDD is big enough, writing over the first recorded data with no need to format, is a feature I would be looking for. The system must have an easy, extensive editing feature to search/save in the event there is certain activity you might need to give to officials (police, insurance). The previous DVR system had a CD recorder built in to save events, this present one does not. I think you might be surprised at the activity that goes on around your house in the middle of the night. I had one very long event, turned out to be a lizard that was sleeping on top of one camera and must have wagged its tail all night long :mrgreen: