Hiding the TV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DomDangelina

Hiding the TV

Post by DomDangelina » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Since I hate the tv being the focal point of any room, I'm looking to hide the new tv I'll soon be buying. I found this:

https://www.tvliftcabinet.com

Looks promising, but pricey. Who has experience with this company? Any good? Any other suggestions to hide the tv?
"Often the remedy causes the disease. It is by no means the least of life's rules: to let things alone." | Baltasar Gracián, S.J., The Art of Worldly Wisdom, Maxim 121

watchnerd

Re: Hiding the TV

Post by watchnerd » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:24 pm

DomDangelina wrote:Since I hate the tv being the focal point of any room, I'm looking to hide the new tv I'll soon be buying. I found this:

https://www.tvliftcabinet.com

Looks promising, but pricey. Who has experience with this company? Any good? Any other suggestions to hide the tv?
I've seen more artistic options using interior sliding doors and artistic screens, but that may not suit your decor.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:24 pm

Personally just hang it on the wall and have your seating neutral (not all focused on the TV but more like if you wanted to sit with people and discuss). It doesnt stick out much to me. You could even just run screen savers (paintings or family pictures) in a slow slide show if you have a new LED or something TV.

We watch TV maybe 2-3 hours a week so maybe we just dont really pay attention or notice it is there.

Post by 123 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:32 pm

Paint the wall behind it black to match the TV when its off. It will be unobtrusive.

Edited to add:

Or you could mount it on the wall and put drapery rods above it and have drapes close in front of it (old movie theater style). Depending on the room arrangement you may want to have wide long drapes that cover the entire wall.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

petiejoe

Post by petiejoe » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Not necessarily practical for everybody, but in my last house, I had a projector with a pull-down screen. The projector is on the ceiling in a corner so it doesn't stand out. I happen to like watching movies on the big screen so I _wanted_ the screen to be the focal point of the living room, but I routinely had people who came over during the day who were surprised when we turned on the TV later.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:15 pm

I have a 48" linear TV lift similar to your link that I got off of ebay a number of years back.
I have the TV lower into a half wall when not in use and directly above that half wall I can lower a much large (110") projection screen for when we want the larger picture.
The linear lifts are easy to put together, attach to a TV, and also to use in a cabinet, half wall, or on a back wall.
Has worked flawlessly with either the ultrasound or infrared remote for over 8 years now.

celia

Post by celia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:56 pm

I've been thinking about hiding the TV in our family room too. I want to make a wall of black and white pictures like in the last photo:
http://www.drivenbydecor.com/the-well-hidden-tv/

Another thing you can do is have two focal points, possibly with the TV as one of them:
http://homedesignlover.com/living-room- ... al-points/

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:56 pm

TVs are so dark and unobtrusive today you can hardly see them mounted on the wall. For those who remember huge console or table-top TVs the new ones look invisible.

Maybe a loop video of an aquarium with colorful fish, family photos, artwork, or the Yule Log would be nice. (The 1966 Yule Log is very pleasant.)

You could put one on the museum wall between the Rembrandts and not see them as out-of-place.
If you must, just hide the cables in the wall.
Don't forget to hide the cable box and the A/V equipment or amplifier and the floorstanding speakers.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:24 pm

We've done it two ways. In one room it is in an armoire that is closed except in the evening when we watch it. In another room, it is hung on the wall with no wires or plugs visible. It essentially looks like a giant picture. Of the two, I think I prefer the hanging on the wall one. Yes it is visible but it takes up essentially no floor space to draw attention to it. The armoire even closed, takes up space and always appears to be a focal point where ever it is placed.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:02 pm

That is a huge and very expensive piece of furniture.

I am more or less a minimalist. I find a thin TV much less of an eyesore than a large, unnecessary piece of furniture whose purpose is predominantly to hide the TV. Same with stereo equipment.

But that's me. I acknowledge that tastes vary.

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Maybe not have a tv?

URSnshn

Post by URSnshn » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Yes, I've been looking for something as well. I don't like the look of the tv on the wall - it's sleek modern lines just don't fit aesthetically in my home. I actually need a bigger tv, but have been using a smaller one because it fits within the armoire type cabinet I have now. I want something with doors if possible and something that is easily moved.

I'm also a cord cutter and having an armoire is handy for my antenna.

You might see if a custom cabinet can be built for your tv.

huy178

Post by huy178 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:49 pm

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:11 pm

I'd buy a slim OLED TV and an ultra slim mount rather than introduce a very large piece of new furniture that costs more.