Best way to buy a iPAD

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retire14

Best way to buy a iPAD

Post by retire14 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:42 pm

I decided to buy a new iPAD to replace my aging original iPAD. I did look at the older iPAD Air 2, but decided against it.
It looks like most places are charging the full price $329. Costco has it at $319. Apple does not have it on its refurbished site (only Air 2 at $339)
I am not in a hurry and can wait for a sale to come on. What are the good sites to check and how will I know if the price has dropped? Would also like free shipping and no sales tax. TIA.

mega317

Re: Best way to buy a iPAD

Post by mega317 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Ipads going on sale is not common and the internet tends to make noise about it so you can usually find out with google. Best Buy is one of the most common places I see with periodic sales on recent models. One strategy is to buy now using a credit card with price protection, then google every few weeks until the protection period ends, and then just enjoy your iPad.

Pretty sure not paying sales tax is illegal so I wouldn't recommend anyone else comment on that in this thread.

Pluto9th

Post by Pluto9th » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:00 am

Check out http://prices.appleinsider.com/ipad. Prices change frequently. Sometimes there is a large discount for a specific color among the same model iPads.

catdude

Post by catdude » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:13 am

.Check B&H Photo Video. They had a sale recently on iPads and I got the local Best Buy to match their price on a Mini 4.
catdude | | "As much as cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." (Abraham Lincoln)

22twain

Post by 22twain » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:19 am

Generally, when Apple introduces a new model of one of its devices, they cut the price of the preceding model to clear out stock. Therefore, if you don't need the "latest and greatest", you can save some money by buying the preceding model shortly after the new one appears. New desktop Macs and iPhones tend to appear in early fall (August-September time frame), but I don't know about iPads.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:25 am

Wait till black Friday, everything goes on sale

Gill

Post by Gill » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:27 am

mega317 wrote:Pretty sure not paying sales tax is illegal so I wouldn't recommend anyone else comment on that in this thread.
Depends on the state you live in.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:06 am

Right now Staples has the basic iPad for $289 + tax. I checked my Amex cards and one was offering $30 off $300 at Bestbuy. I got BB to price match Staples so my cost including tax was $276.34 out the door.

Starting From Scratch

Post by Starting From Scratch » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:00 am

catdude wrote:.Check B&H Photo Video. They had a sale recently on iPads and I got the local Best Buy to match their price on a Mini 4.
Plus, B&H Photo Video doesn't charge sales tax for shoppers outside New York and New Jersey.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:44 am

Starting From Scratch wrote:
catdude wrote:.Check B&H Photo Video. They had a sale recently on iPads and I got the local Best Buy to match their price on a Mini 4.
Plus, B&H Photo Video doesn't charge sales tax for shoppers outside New York and New Jersey.
Yes but Best Buy does charge tax and their price match won't include waiving sales tax. I bought a new iPad from B&H for $329, 32 GB, 9.7 inch. Several months later they had a sale on the same for $299. Just goes to show after you buy something quit looking at prices. Currently it is back to $329. Technically you still are supposed to square up tax with the state at income tax time.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

jasc15

Post by jasc15 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:59 am

This is several years ago, but I bought an ipad from best buy and they were offering a $50 gift card at the time. That seems to be the closest thing to a sale for an ipad. Fortunately I had an immediate use for the gift card; normally I would have no use for it. There are likely similar promotions on and off these days.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:01 am

retire14 wrote:Apple does not have it on its refurbished site (only Air 2 at $339)
I am not in a hurry and can wait for a sale to come on.
Keep checking Apple's refurb inventory. Every refurb I've purchased has been good as new.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:04 am

Add an iPad deal alert on a site like Slick Deals. There are regular deals and specials to be had. The iPad mini 4 sells for $399 most of the time, but with various sales and rewards/rebates we own two at a gross cost of $500. They were from Best Buy.

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:40 am

Starting From Scratch wrote:
obligatory note that you are nonetheless required to report this transaction and pay use tax, if you live in a state with a sales and use tax.

they just introduced new iPad models last month. If you're interested in a refurb of the previous generation, I'd keep an eye out in the next few weeks as people sell/trade old ones and buy new ones. You could also buy a used one off eBay from a reputable seller.