Cutting the Cord: Who's Best?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DomDangelina

Cutting the Cord: Who's Best?

Post by DomDangelina »

I'm cutting the cable tv cord. I was thinking of going with Sling TV until I found this:

Sling TV misleads cord cutters with its "a la carte" marketing push
http://www.techhive.com/article/3193702 ... -push.html

I want to get as close as possible to choosing only the few channels I want. Who do you think is currently the best choice for me?
"Often the remedy causes the disease. It is by no means the least of life's rules: to let things alone." | Baltasar Gracián, S.J., The Art of Worldly Wisdom, Maxim 121
MrMatt2532

Re: Cutting the Cord: Who's Best?

Post by MrMatt2532 »

The nice thing about these services is you aren't locked in (ok maybe locked in for a month!). The a la carte model isn't truly available except for premium channels (hbo, etc.) and packages of channels (sports package, etc.). I would just list out the channels you want and buy the service that is cheapest that meets those needs: considering Sling, PSVue, and DirecTV Now. I have used them all and I haven't ever felt misled. If one provider makes more sense I switch. I've had sling, PSVue and DirecTV Now and i'm currently on DirectvNow.
AJS

Post by AJS »

Sling TV is awesome. The article was somewhat dumb. The service isn't 100% a la carte but you can choose between two different primary bundles and then add on extras. That seems somewhat a la carte to me. I was an early subscriber of Sling TV and there were some growing pains in the beginning. The service has constantly improved. I hear about technical issues regarding streaming quality and/or sound but I have not experienced any issues in a long time.
Admirer of the great John Bogle
simmias

Post by simmias »

I liked PSVue when I had a trial. I had issues with Sling when I tried it a year or so ago, but I bet that was more due to my awful Time Warner internet. I bet it would be much better now that I'm on fiber.

These days I just wait for shows to hit one of the streaming services, though, and make do with an antenna for anything else. I don't have the patience for week-to-week watching any more, and it just so happens to be cheaper this way as well.
amindu

Post by amindu »

I have had DirectvNow since they launched. The first 90 days were painful, but thus far it has been good. Granted i was grandfathered in so i only pay 35 for 100 channels plus HBO. I also setup a Mohu Antenna which is hooked up to a TiVo so we get all of our local programmings as well, and i have a good DVR to which i pay no monthly fee, just the upfront cost. Most of the shows we watch come on the local networks.
tombonneau

Post by tombonneau »

Check out the YouTube TV offering. Haven't tried it but I remember it sounded compelling.

I recommend trying to see how it goes just buying season passes for the shows you want on Amazon or iTunes. You might not watch as much as you think. :)

Also, I can highly advise getting a Tivo OTA Roamio. Either pay the sub or buy the box with lifetime, hook up a digital antenna and you are sorted for local sports and network shows.
jesscj

Post by jesscj »

I cut the cable TV cord, but utilize Netflix, Amazon prime, and a Roku that seems to have plenty of TV viewing offerings. And an antenna to pick up local channels.
"Gonna Make It"
kellyfj

Post by kellyfj »

Another Sling TV fan here too - combined with a Roku device and you can hook up to Amazon Prime, YouTube and HBOGO as well.

My ideal cord cutting setup
- Broadcast TV antenna (one time cost)
- Sling Blue TV ($25 a month)
- Netflix for the kids ($10 a month)
- HBO Now ($15 a month)
- Fast Internet Connection 150mbps+ ($88 a month at XFinity https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers/de ... 9626110013 or $45 per month at RCN http://www.rcn.com/boston/high-speed-internet/ - seems like an intro price though)

(I already have Amazon Prime for the shipping costs but that too comes bundled with a bunch of free shows and movies)

But that's about $155 a month including taxes / fees give or take.

Currently I pay $132.50 for Xfinity Blast Plus HBO and I added Sling ($25) just for the heck of it (BBC America and soccer games on NBC Sports / FS1 / FS2)

So for now cord cutting is not super obviously the right idea as (I think) they are keeping the internet rates (deliberately) high
EdB

Post by EdB »

I've never had cable TV. And from the way things are going, I never will. I will have completely skipped the cable age.

I got an Amazon Firestick last year, and added SlingTV for four months so I could watch the college football games on the ESPN feed that comes with it. After the season was over, I discontinued. I am about to start up again with Sling, for another four months. It is fantastic to be able to do that.

You don't get any sort of recording capability with Sling but other than that, it's fine. I don't really need recording anyway.

I went with Amazon Prime for other stuff (Better Call Saul, movies, etc). That Firestick is a great little add-on. I got the apps for PBS, CuriosityStream, and a few others, and those get me everything I want.
tj

Post by tj »

You just need to compare the different options that gives you the cheapest price for the channels you want. It used to be Playstation Vue if you were in a market that didn't have all 4 of the big 4, but they raised prices on those markets the other day.

I recently ordered 2 months of DirecTVNow because they gave me a Free Roku valued at $70:
directvnow.com/rokunow

Your other options would be Sling, YouTube TV, Hulu, Playstation Vue and the one that most people don't know about, Fubo:

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome/channels
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

I like PlayStation Vue, for which you don't need a PlayStation to subscribe.
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

Not much to add to the above, except that if you have AT&T phone service there are potentially some discounts on DirectTV Now.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I'm just waiting for a streaming service that doesn't force me to buy expensive sports channels that I'll never watch.
nerdalerted

Post by nerdalerted »

I have a lifetime TiVo that I use for broadcast channels, and a Roku I use for Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Go (my internet service with Xfinity came with HBO Go), and any other channel Roku gets.

The only negative with that setup is missing live sports, so when there's a sports league going on that I follow, I can temporarily add a service that includes ESPN (or, in the case of the NBA, just buy League Pass).
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

DomDangelina wrote:I'm cutting the cable tv cord. I was thinking of going with Sling TV until I found this:

Sling TV misleads cord cutters with its "a la carte" marketing push
http://www.techhive.com/article/3193702 ... -push.html

I want to get as close as possible to choosing only the few channels I want. Who do you think is currently the best choice for me?
Other than ability to buy specific channels from the content producer (CBS all access and HBO now come to mind), I don't think there is lots of ala carte. I'd pick the bundle that seems best to you, and accept that you'll have some channels you don't want or need. As someone said above, at least there is no lock-in with VUE/Sling/etc, so if you don't like them you are only out a month's fee. Mind you, I make do with a Tivo/OTA (we are in metro area)/Netflix myself...
Will 82

Post by Will 82 »

tombonneau wrote:Check out the YouTube TV offering. Haven't tried it but I remember it sounded compelling.

I have had YouTube TV for the last 6 weeks. The only thing I watch live is sports, and this has all the best collection of those channels at the best price. Has unlimited DVR also.

Available in only a few markets right now though.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Thrifty Femme wrote:I like PlayStation Vue, for which you don't need a PlayStation to subscribe.
+1 for me.

Playstation Vue + Amazon Fire TV or Stick is a good package. I was disappointed Vue dropped the $34.99 Core Slim package for those without all the live network channels. The price is going up $10.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

tj wrote:You just need to compare the different options that gives you the cheapest price for the channels you want. It used to be Playstation Vue if you were in a market that didn't have all 4 of the big 4, but they raised prices on those markets the other day.

I recently ordered 2 months of DirecTVNow because they gave me a Free Roku valued at $70:
directvnow.com/rokunow

Your other options would be Sling, YouTube TV, Hulu, Playstation Vue and the one that most people don't know about, Fubo:

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome/channels
Beyond the channels, they all offer differing amounts of on demand and DVR abilities. I don't watch any live tv really, so that is important to me.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I used to have Roku but I never use it any more. Current setup:
- HD OTA antenna, works very well for all local channels
- Mid-grade internet connection, $60/month including taxes. Carries our 'TV' and telephone.
- Nvidia Shield media center, has all popular internet media clients (Hulu, Netflix, Kodi...)
- Hulu & Netflix subscriptions

Kids also have a PS3 & PS4, either of those two also work well as media centers but the Shield is even better since it has native Kodi support and I can just plug in my 2TB HD to view all our family home videos. Shield also has Plex which is another popular media center front end.
keystone

Post by keystone »

Vue has been working really well, but I'm not too happy about the $10 price increase which is coming soon. Existing customers will be grandfathered into the lower price for 3 more months. At that point, I may switch to YouTube TV which is coming to my region in a few weeks.

In case anyone is interested, here is an article which details the 10 additional markets that YouTube TV is expanding to:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/23/youtu ... ed-series/
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

keystone wrote:Vue has been working really well, but I'm not too happy about the $10 price increase which is coming soon. Existing customers will be grandfathered into the lower price for 3 more months. At that point, I may switch to YouTube TV which is coming to my region in a few weeks.

In case anyone is interested, here is an article which details the 10 additional markets that YouTube TV is expanding to:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/23/youtu ... ed-series/
I'm in exactly the same boat. I've used Sling, DTVNow and PSVue. PSVue with AppleTV 4 has been my favorite mainly due to picture quality and the guide but I've been having a few more hiccups with it lately. LIke keystone I'm not happy about the announced price increase and will be trying YouTube TV as soon it's available in our market.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

We've used Sling from the start and love it. Switched to SlingBlue plus the News Extra last year before the Olympics to get all the NBC channels, and liked it so much we didn't downgrade to save the extra $10/mo after the Olympics were over.

One feature we only realized relatively recently about Sling - besides the live TV on all of your channels, you also have many current season shows available from those channels. For example, we watched all Orphan Black that's available on Netflix through Season 4. Rather than watch the new Season 5 episdoes live on BBC America when they air or wait months for them to appear on Netflix, we realized we can scroll to Orphan Black on the home screen and watch current season episodes from there. (Unfortunately only play and pause work on these episdoes - no fast forward or rewind. Still great to have available!)

One other big improvement from Sling in recent months... Some channels, such as MSNBC and CNBC, for some reason used to play annoying and repetitive music in the place of all commercials. If you think commercials interrupting your shows are bad, you haven't heard this music over and over, lol. Thankfully, they switched this sometime recently to play the commercials instead, greatly improving the viewing experience.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

How do you cut the cord and get:
1. standard basic cable channels (cnbc, cnn, msnbc, etc.)
2. a choice of premium channels (HBO, etc.)
3. DVR service
4. multiroom access
5. your local channels
?
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

rgs92 wrote:How do you cut the cord and get:
3. DVR service
4. multiroom access
5. your local channels
?
1) VUE/Sling etc have that
2) You can get those directly (HBO now) or through VUE/Sling I guess
3) You can buy a DVR (I own a TiVo). Some services have online DVR
4) Most of these services work with a device like a Roku.
5) local channels through antenna for me

Mind you, if you want exactly what you have on cable, may not be able to cobble together exactly that for cheaper than cable. But many of us have found we don't need exactly what is on cable and can get what we need much cheaper.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Yep, DVR is a must-have, and it seems that the only solution actually some marriage between a programming service and a Tivo, and there is some complexity for a medium-level discount vs. traditional cable/satellite service.

Sometimes I think you are better off going through the hassle of serially changing providers for cheap 1 or 2 year intro offers than the the messy cord cutting thing. Both strategies seem to be somewhat inconvenient. I guess everyone has the choice of 3 providers to cycle thru:
Your cable company | DISH | ATT-DirectTV.

That should keep you busy for a few years and probably beyond.

I still have trouble figuring out Tivo. Every time I read about how to link up a Tivo to a programming service and figure out how much this all costs I get a headache and just put it off.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

rgs92 wrote: Sometimes I think you are better off going through the hassle of serially changing providers for cheap 1 or 2 year intro offers than the the messy cord cutting thing. Both strategies seem to be somewhat inconvenient. I guess everyone has the choice of 3 providers to cycle thru:
Your cable company | DISH | ATT-DirectTV.
I think you may also find if you give it up you don't miss it all that much. We didn't, and were happy to save > $100 per month. But we each choose our luxuries and how we value things, I'd rather spend more on meals and travel than on TV that I don't watch much anyway. We do play the changing providers game for internet, our choices being Verizon Fios, RCN, and Comcast. Changing isn't all that hard.
abonder

Post by abonder »

Tivo plus OTA antenna can be a nice combo. Gives you DVR and channel guide capabilities. Makes the transition from cable less drastic, presuming you get OTA programming. It has app interfaces (Hulu, etc) but less good than roku, fire, etc.

Sometimes there are really good sales on TIVO plus lifetime subscription. I think I paid about 650 for my box and a lifetime subscription. That was over 3 years ago so I don't regret it. There are times when the you can get the OTA TiVo plus a subscription for cheaper. It just wasn't available when I wanted to buy.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

abonder wrote:Tivo plus OTA antenna can be a nice combo. Gives you DVR and channel guide capabilities. Makes the transition from cable less drastic, presuming you get OTA programming. It has app interfaces (Hulu, etc) but less good than roku, fire, etc.

Sometimes there are really good sales on TIVO plus lifetime subscription. I think I paid about 650 for my box and a lifetime subscription. That was over 3 years ago so I don't regret it. There are times when the you can get the OTA TiVo plus a subscription for cheaper. It just wasn't available when I wanted to buy.
TiVo Roamio 1TB OTA DVR with lifetime guide subscription is $399 at a number of retailers or direct from TiVo. I have one and we love it, especially the ability to skip the entire commercial break with one button push for many popular shows.
Yiewsley

Post by Yiewsley »

Hulu has a new live tv service with a cloud DVR. It's in beta now.

https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

You can also upgrade the cloud DVR to a version that saves more hours and allows commercial skipping.

Our current internet/tv package ends in September and then we're going internet only and trying this. When we cut the cord before, we had a Tivo, but we still needed a cable card from the cable company and it had a monthly fee.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

To me it's almost a waste of time to cut the cord and then subscribe to these expensive multichannel services that basically just represent cable tv streamed over the internet.

Hulu, netflix, and Amazon prime, and CBS is sufficient for us. We don't miss live tv. These subscriptions are shared with various family members so the savings is significant.

The key to cutting the cord I think is having a good option for internet service that doesn't have data caps and doesn't charge an arm and a leg.
danaht

Post by danaht »

You Tube TV is probably the best value - since you can record your shows at no extra cost. This includes being able to rewind and fast-forward recordings. I am still waiting for You Tube TV to be available in my area to try it out.
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

3. DVR service
4. multiroom access
5. your local channels
?
You can get HBO and Showtime through DirecTV Now. I was an early subscriber, so I get HBO free for 1 year.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

danaht wrote:You Tube TV is probably the best value - since you can record your shows at no extra cost. This includes being able to rewind and fast-forward recordings. I am still waiting for You Tube TV to be available in my area to try it out.
You can record shows on PSVue.
aqan

Post by aqan »

Lindrobe wrote:
3. DVR service
4. multiroom access
5. your local channels
?
You can get HBO and Showtime through DirecTV Now. I was an early subscriber, so I get HBO free for 1 year.
I did too but I'm surprised by the lack of features in dtv now.
No DVR
72 Hour Rewind is barely 24 hour rewind only available on select channels. and not to mention its buggy and barely usable.
bad user interface, you'll need to press minimum 5 times to switch channels, no way of going to last channel.
in a nutshell - bad features and no dvr means you'll just watch commercials and get pissed off.
I'm just too lazy to cancel.. but one of these days.
I would not recommend it to anyone.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

All of the shows we watch are on NBC, ABC, CW, or CBS.

These shows are all available for free on their respective websites within 24 hours of airing. Either Airplay or Chrome-cast it from your tablet or computer to your television and you have free HDTV. If there is a show we can't watch that way, we buy a season pass on Amazon using no rush credits. You don't need a DVR for this.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

multiple threads on this same topic in the past few months. Sounds like Youtube TV is now launching.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

DomDangelina wrote:I'm cutting the cable tv cord.
- "Off-air" (antenna) HD is amazing. No compression artifact. And free.
- Netflix
- Maybe Amazon Prime
We miss most major sports events as these have all migrated to pay TV. Not ideal but saves a lot of time :)
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

aqan wrote:
Lindrobe wrote:
3. DVR service
4. multiroom access
5. your local channels
?
I did too but I'm surprised by the lack of features in dtv now.
No DVR
72 Hour Rewind is barely 24 hour rewind only available on select channels. and not to mention its buggy and barely usable.
bad user interface, you'll need to press minimum 5 times to switch channels, no way of going to last channel.
in a nutshell - bad features and no dvr means you'll just watch commercials and get pissed off.
I'm just too lazy to cancel.. but one of these days.
I would not recommend it to anyone.
I have never had DVR before, so I am not bothered at all. Also, I have absolutely zero shows that I watch regularly anyways. I basically watch live sports 90% of the time, so DirecTV combined with MLB.TV is perfect for me. The icing on the cake would be if DirecTV added NFL Red Zone or Sunday Ticket. :D
cutehumor

Post by cutehumor »

I cut the comcast cable cord in 2013.
I have:

OTA antenna in the attic using the wiring throughout the house via coax cable, so every tv can get OTA
Netflix $10 for everyone
Sling TV $25 for kids, disney jr/nick jr
Amazon Prime video/shipping for wife
internet, free via work, I telecommute

I also have free google voip phone with $45 obihai adapter using my former att service wiring throughout the house. lol

Since the kids take over the tv all the time, I just surf the internet while they watch.
tj

Post by tj »

Nate79 wrote:To me it's almost a waste of time to cut the cord and then subscribe to these expensive multichannel services that basically just represent cable tv streamed over the internet.

Hulu, netflix, and Amazon prime, and CBS is sufficient for us. We don't miss live tv. These subscriptions are shared with various family members so the savings is significant.

The key to cutting the cord I think is having a good option for internet service that doesn't have data caps and doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

How is your strategy cheaper than a multichannel service? Sling is only $20/mo
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

tj wrote:
Nate79 wrote:To me it's almost a waste of time to cut the cord and then subscribe to these expensive multichannel services that basically just represent cable tv streamed over the internet.

I like Hulu better than sling.
tj

Post by tj »

Nate79 wrote:
tj wrote:

I like Hulu better than sling.

That's fine, that's a preference, but you said it's a waste to cord cut with streaming options similar to cable? The cable TV boxes use weigh more electricity than a roku. The online options are significantly cheaper too. Why is it a waste?
Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

PS Vue.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

We have Netflix and hulu- we use Netflix way more, but we have family members who use our Hulu so we've kept it
We have Amazon prime like just about everyone else, so we get that streaming service too.

We have basic Comcast cable only because they won't sell us internet alone (they actually will, but it would be more expensive than the combo.) they threw in free HBO and showtime streaming, which we really don't use

I'm not quite sure why people need "channel" services in 2017. They seem cumbersome, and you have to wait for a specific time to watch something; seems so "1980"'s to me. :)
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife »

Was really nervous about DirectTV Now given all the horrible existing reviews. However, my wife wanted to try it first based on their package selection. We're 3 weeks in and I'm blown away by how smooth it is in our area. Also, HBO is only $5 a month and we prepaid two months (took a big gamble here) for a free Roku with $70 retail value. Very, very happy with everything so far.
tj

Post by tj »

(took a big gamble here)
LOL, even if you never turned it on you got value via the roku.
susze

Post by susze »

what do people here do about local sports and blackouts.

I know blackouts are probably going away once all the contract renegotiations come up but in the meantime is there a good legal way to watch local sports. (short of having a raspberry pi to spoof your location)

Thanks
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Let's say you are interested in your MLB team. You need your regional Fox Sports channel.

With the $44.99 monthly package from Playstation Vue, you get your regional Fox Sports channel. We get FS North and FS North Plus. We also get FS1 and a host of other sports channels.

Blackout restrictions are what they are. If you don't have an Over The Air broadcast, there are no legal ways around it.

If you are willing to go with no cable, no streaming cable, then sports likely aren't on your must have list.

Cutting the cord often means downsizing. We went from a $130 DirecTV bill to $44.99/month on PS Vue (Amazon Fire TV). Yes, we still have internet. We also have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Not free certainly, but a bit more easy to swallow each month.
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

Cut the cord and replace it with nothing. Zero channels, for free.

Go outside instead of sitting in front of a screen.

Read books when it's raining.