instant pot [Pressure cooker]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Anyone have one? That's all I'm hearing and reading about. 20k reviews on Amazon, is it worth it?

Mr. Gatti

Re: instant pot

Post by Mr. Gatti » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:17 pm

DW bought one several months ago. We (She) use(s) it a few times a week. She cooks rice, chicken, pork, vegetables, and more. It cooks fast, clean up is relatively easy, and the food really is delicious. We plan to buy a bigger one in the near future.

toofache32

Re: instant pot

Post by toofache32 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:35 pm

This thread is completely different from what I expected with the title. Must be a Colorado thing.

EDIT: now I see "pressure cooker" has been added so now it makes sense.
Last edited by toofache32 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Afty

Re: instant pot [Pressure cooker]

Post by Afty » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 pm

We have one and use it about once a week. It's great for stews, beans, chili, etc. -- anything that would normally simmer in liquid and take several hours. I've been really happy with ours.

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:23 am

Love ours. Great for faster braises, making broth, and perfect hard boiled eggs.

GKSD

Post by GKSD » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:27 am

Yes, we use it - like someone earlier noted, for anything that needs to simmer for hours, pressure cooker is perfect for those things.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:37 am

I love mine. I use it daily for steel cut oatmeal, soups of all kinds, and my latest is cooking frozen pieces of boneless/skinless chicken with salsa or broth (super fast, moist, and delicious without need for advance defrosting). Stainless liner is super easy to clean. Can saute right in same pot before pressure cooking. I bought mine on last year's Prime Day (for $69 if I recall correctly, roughly half price) but was scared to use it until November, when I finally got up the nerve to just try boiling water in it (recommended first step for beginners). And the rest is history. I have saved a ton of money (and improved nutrition and taste) over the boxed soups I used to buy and heat up in microwave. And I don't feel like eating out as much because I now enjoy what I can cook for myself. (Full disclosure: I was not much of a cook before my husband died four years. He did most of the cooking. I am just now learning. Instant Pot, which I first discovered through a thread on Bogleheads, and my immersion blender make me feel like a pro.) I have not yet tried making yogurt.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:42 am

We use it 3x per week. Quick meat preps for tacos (barbacoa, pork, chicken), LOTS of bean recipes that actually taste great and are cheap, boiled eggs (seemed like a lot of work for eggs, but now it's set and forget and we do a dozen for salads/snacks for the week), and soups. It is great for weeknight cooking - kids learning how to use it and cook, and totally safe (worse case they forget to close off the steam valve - pretty obvious as steam pops out as it fires up, and kids zip over and turn it). No Tom&Jerry like explosions.

We do have a big pantry for storage - it is kind of a big item.

lilvixen

Post by lilvixen » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:57 am

I replaced our slow cooker with an Instant Pot, and I love it. I use it at least weekly, and it's foolproof for cooking rice. I love using the saute feature before setting up the slow cooker, so I don't have to dirty any other pots or pans. I also enjoy the hands-off part of it: the total cook time with warm-up isn't much faster then the stovetop, but I can lock down the lid and do other things while it's cooking, rather than needing to stir or check the food. It's been a great help in eating healthy dinners while juggling work, family, and grad school.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:08 am

We have thought extensively about getting one, even put one in our Amazon cart a few times and borrowed my mom's several times, but we've decided that with our lifestyle it simply doesn't provide anything our trusty crockpot doesn't already. It's cool that it can greatly decrease cooking time, but considering we both work full-time, it doesn't actually provide an advantage (we're working or sleeping when the crockpot is cooking anyways). It can also be a little tricky to use, my mother uses hers several times a week (she doesn't have a crockpot) and still often experiences variances in cooking times; we've noticed the same thing when borrowing hers.

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:55 am

stoptothink wrote:We have thought extensively about getting one, even put one in our Amazon cart a few times and borrowed my mom's several times, but we've decided that with our lifestyle it simply doesn't provide anything our trusty crockpot doesn't already. It's cool that it can greatly decrease cooking time, but considering we both work full-time, it doesn't actually provide an advantage (we're working or sleeping when the crockpot is cooking anyways). It can also be a little tricky to use, my mother uses hers several times a week (she doesn't have a crockpot) and still often experiences variances in cooking times; we've noticed the same thing when borrowing hers.
You raise good points, especially about letting a slow cooker run while you're out. Given that it can take 5-15 minutes to come up to pressure, then you may want to do a natural release (another 15-20 minutes), plus cooking time, it isn't always faster. That said, I personally find the results more pleasing than a slow cooker.

Re inconsistent cooking times: This is usually due to inconsistent food sizes and layering. Food on the bottom cooks more than on the top and if some chunks are bigger than others they'll take longer to finish (this is true of all cooking methods.) I've varied how large/small I cube meat for stews to get the cooking time to be where I want it.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:07 am

Been using mine on and off since I got it as a premium for opening up a $1000 CD in 1973. Every once in a while I buy a new gasket for it.

foreverlearning

Post by foreverlearning » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:40 am

I bought my pressure cooker 14 years ago and have used it very frequently since then.
Nowadays, I use it to cook a mix of rice + lentils/beans/chickpeas + chopped vegetables + spices about 3 times a week.
That's about 90% of my monthly food.
Once in a while, I boil potatoes in it.
I have changed the gasket and the safety valve once each; the additional parts came with the cooker.
I bought it from outside the US and it cost me approximately $5 at that time.

thecarrotfund

Post by thecarrotfund » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Love ours! Use it more than three times weekly but not daily. (Yet)
We now use dried beans exclusively plus make our own homemade soups so money saving and low sodium/healthier.
We also feel the taste and texture of meals is consistently better than our slow cooker.
I vote Yes! Buy one today
"not all storms are in the forecast"

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:07 pm

dodecahedron wrote:I love mine. I use it daily for steel cut oatmeal, soups of all kinds, and my latest is cooking frozen pieces of boneless/skinless chicken with salsa or broth (super fast, moist, and delicious without need for advance defrosting).
I'm a big fan of the way my Zojirushi cooks steel cut oats, but I am a bit bothered that I don't like the results unless I start with at least a half cup of oatmeal. Is the Instant pot less finicky with smaller portions? Cooking time isn't a bid deal to me.

Making soup would be a bonus, as would making chicken easily.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:24 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote: I'm a big fan of the way my Zojirushi cooks steel cut oats, but I am a bit bothered that I don't like the results unless I start with at least a half cup of oatmeal. Is the Instant pot less finicky with smaller portions? Cooking time isn't a bid deal to me.
I find smaller portions (a quarter cup of oats and 6 ounces of water and a couple shakes of sea salt) works just fine in the Instant Pot. I put it all in a pyrex glass bowl on raised wire rack above a half inch of water in the bottom of the pot, set it to cook for 6 minutes at high pressure, go for a relaxed 20 minute walk and have lovely perfect oatmeal waiting for me when I return, including the time needed to reach high pressure and the keep warm time afterwards. (I often mix in peanut butter at that point or else top with walnuts, chopped apple and cinnamon but it is also good just straight.)

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:26 pm

littlebird wrote:Been using mine on and off since I got it as a premium for opening up a $1000 CD in 1973. Every once in a while I buy a new gasket for it.
I'm pretty sure that the OP is referring to a different model than the one you got in 1973. :mrgreen:
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi ... 00FLYWNYQ/

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:48 pm

I use mine to gravy for pasta - throw in some crushed tomatoes, Italian sausage, meatballs, etc. - it doesn't take long to make something that tastes like it cooked for hours.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:27 pm

yes. We have electric. Son has stove model.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

WillRetire

Post by WillRetire » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Like the OP, all of a sudden I am reading lots of favorable reviews about "Instant Pot" and wondering how it is different and better than traditional pressure cookers. More functions? Safer?

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:45 pm

Older Presto model is made from aluminum and not advertised heavily.
Electric HotPots are Smarter with timers. IMO a little safer with the pressure valve.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Yes. I have a 6 qt IP. I was contemplating buying the 8qt on sale for Prime day but am trying to resist. Though there is a lot you can do with it, I use it mostly for longer cooking tougher cuts of meat like pork shoulder,ribs or chuck roast. It is also great for quick meals like bourbon chicken where you make the sauce, chicken and rice (in separate bowl) all together in the unit. I don't find it useful for "normal" cuts of meat that I would just sear or cook relatively quickly like boneless chicken breasts, steaks, pork chops, pork tenderloin, fish, etc. I don't make soup often, but hear it is great for making stocks and soups quickly.

As an example, I made carnitas for 10 people last week. I had to do it in 2 batches. It is 50 minutes under pressure for the pork shoulder to cook. I broiled it to reheat it. You can do a chuck roast cut up into chunks in 25 minutes under pressure (it also takes time to get up to pressure and release the pressure).

I find it a lot easier to use than my manual pressure cooker as this is all electronic and relatively foolproof.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:20 pm

It's fantastic for cooking all types of items. I've convinced about 8 people to buy one also.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:27 pm

WillRetire wrote:Like the OP, all of a sudden I am reading lots of favorable reviews about "Instant Pot" and wondering how it is different and better than traditional pressure cookers. More functions? Safer?
They claim it has 10 levels of safety protections. It is more fool proof than a stovetop model as it is computer driven. You can do other things too like make yogurt in it and use it as a slow cooker. I also think the price isn't that much more than a good stovetop pressure cooker.

MarvinK

Post by MarvinK » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Yes totally worth it. The large size 8 quart is on sale right now on Amazon (prime day).
Ive made homemade soup, stew, beef and broccoli, perfect risotto, steamed salmon, etc.

thecarrotfund

Post by thecarrotfund » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:57 pm

Go Blue 99 wrote:It's fantastic for cooking all types of items. I've convinced about 8 people to buy one also.
I wish I made a commission for convincing people to buy I P!!!
"not all storms are in the forecast"

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Luke Duke wrote:
littlebird wrote:Been using mine on and off since I got it as a premium for opening up a $1000 CD in 1973. Every once in a while I buy a new gasket for it.
I'm pretty sure that the OP is referring to a different model than the one you got in 1973. :mrgreen:
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi ... 00FLYWNYQ/
Model, schmodel, it still does the job. And the price was right.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:30 pm

There were a bunch of posts about explosions. I got a notification and responded. Then it said I was not authorized for this topic. Anyway....I am not sure if the moderators removed the posts for some reason or if there was a technical glitch as the notifications then disappeared. Usually when posts are removed it is stated so I wanted to make everyone aware if there was some glitch.

reriodan

Post by reriodan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Instant Pot is like a cult. And I am a happy member :mrgreen:

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:53 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:There were a bunch of posts about explosions. I got a notification and responded. Then it said I was not authorized for this topic. Anyway....I am not sure if the moderators removed the posts for some reason or if there was a technical glitch as the notifications then disappeared. Usually when posts are removed it is stated so I wanted to make everyone aware if there was some glitch.
Yes, a number of off-topic posts were removed and I failed to record that in the thread.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:56 pm

prudent wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:There were a bunch of posts about explosions. I got a notification and responded. Then it said I was not authorized for this topic. Anyway....I am not sure if the moderators removed the posts for some reason or if there was a technical glitch as the notifications then disappeared. Usually when posts are removed it is stated so I wanted to make everyone aware if there was some glitch.
Yes, a number of off-topic posts were removed and I failed to record that in the thread.
Okay. Thanks.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:12 pm

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:23 pm

So do meals taste better versus a crockpot for example, a pot roast? The slow cooker I can just throw everything in there, set and forget, is it the same with this?

Afty

Post by Afty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:58 pm

squirm wrote:So do meals taste better versus a crockpot for example, a pot roast? The slow cooker I can just throw everything in there, set and forget, is it the same with this?
Yes. There's a long explanation of why on Serious Eats: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why- ... okers.html

The short answer is that a pressure cooker cooks at a much higher temperature than a slow cooker, which gives you some Maillard reaction (browning) as well as breaks down the ingredients faster and more thoroughly.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:18 pm

DW bought it last fall/winter and loves it since. I found it very easy to do the eggs, especially when it comes to peeling. Need to replace the inner plastic gasket after cooking curry several times due to discoloration. for about $10.

The larger one was on sale yesterday during the Amazon Prime for $99. I'm sure that it will go on sale again. Try using camel3.com to track their prices.

Enjoy.