[Amazon Prime Day]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
runner9

[Amazon Prime Day]

Post by runner9 »

I've spent time going through categories on my computer for Prime Day, a little frustrated that search doesn't seem to work.

Anyway, I have now clicked watch for many items but can't find the list of them anywhere, only that watched is marked when I research through the items.

Any suggestions?
Pajamas

Re: Amazon Prime Day: Where is watch list?

Post by Pajamas »

https://smile.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node ... ads.org-20

Also check the "Today's Deals" link at the top of the page.

If you are not using Amazon Smile that directs 1/2% of your purchases to the charity of your choice, it only takes a couple of minutes to set up and then all you have to do is use the Smile link.
Last edited by Pajamas on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Hopefully BHs are using the link on the BH site to provide referral fee donation to BH site.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

jebmke wrote:Hopefully BHs are using the link on the BH site to provide referral fee donation to BH site.
Oops, I changed the link to add the Bogleheads tag.

Seems like some of those 20% off gift cards might appeal to Bogleheads who shop in those stores or eat in those restaurants.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Doctor of Credit is posting some of the info at his site. The experts seem underwhelmed by the gift cards.

Anyone - Prime and non-Prime - can apply PRIMEBOOKS17 at checkout to get $5 off a book costing at least $15.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

If you have never added money to your Amazon Gift Card Balance before, you can add $100 or more and get $10 extra. That's free money if you are going to spend $100 on Amazon anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=14611608011

Here's a good deal for any book sold by Amazon, including the Bogleheads books. $5 off any book that is $15 or more and sold by Amazon, not third-parties. You don't even have to have Prime to use this deal.

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=8885530011

The 23 And Me test for both health and ancestry is $100.

https://smile.amazon.com/23andMe-DNA-Te ... B01G7PYQTM
Incendiary

Amazon prime day

Post by Incendiary »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

What are you buying? I might get a Fire tablet. $30 doesn't seem like a bad deal, especially compared to an iPad.
yukonjack

Re: Amazon prime day

Post by yukonjack »

I just took a look and didn't see anything of note. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Incendiary

Post by Incendiary »

These are not all the deals?
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I posted a couple of the deals that I thought Bogleheads might be interested in on another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=223039&p=3443380#p3443380
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I haven't found anything too good to pass up.

Maybe there will be something better tomorrow.
CULater

Post by CULater »

Pajamas wrote:If you have never added money to your Amazon Gift Card Balance before, you can add $100 or more and get $10 extra. That's free money if you are going to spend $100 on Amazon anyway.

Here's a good deal for any book sold by Amazon, including the Bogleheads books. $5 off any book that is $15 or more and sold by Amazon, not third-parties. You don't even have to have Prime to use this deal.

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=8885530011

The 23 And Me test for both health and ancestry is $100.

https://smile.amazon.com/23andMe-DNA-Te ... B01G7PYQTM
Did it but I couldn't select to use my gift card, so I got screwed.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

I just bought an Amazon Echo for $90 (50% off). I purchased an Echo for my mostly blind mom when they first came out and she enjoys it. Before I set it up at her house I tried it at my house and I've missed having one since I gave it to mom. I've never seen them this cheap, probably because they will be pushing the Echo with the screen from now on.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

CULater wrote: Did it but I couldn't select to use my gift card, so I got screwed.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Normally any gift card balance is automatically applied to your purchase when you check out unless you choose another method of payment instead.
danaht

Post by danaht »

Waiting for a sale on prime membership - otherwise won't participate in prime day.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Incendiary wrote:What are you buying? I might get a Fire tablet. $30 doesn't seem like a bad deal, especially compared to an iPad.
While I am not an Apple fan, a $30 Kindle Fire is not anywhere near equivalent to an iPad. You are comparing apples and ...
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Amazon Prime Day]

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Incendiary's thread into here, which is a similar discussion. I also retitled the thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Incendiary

Post by Incendiary »

munemaker wrote:
Incendiary wrote:What are you buying? I might get a Fire tablet. $30 doesn't seem like a bad deal, especially compared to an iPad.
While I am not an Apple fan, a $30 Kindle Fire is not anywhere near equivalent to an iPad. You are comparing apples and ...
Are the Fire tablets not very good?
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

This is the third year in a row that prime day is an absolute joke. It's like a garage sale, except that the deals really aren't deals.

Oh well, I'm not shocked.

JT
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Incendiary wrote:
munemaker wrote:
My wife has an older Fire tablet. They work well for reading books if you are not in bright sun, but the web browsing capability is not optimum. It is not the equivalent of an iPad, but you are not going to buy an iPad for $30.
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

There's $10 off $60 for Prime Pantry. Items I typically get happened to have some coupons and also were part of the "buy 5 of these to get free shipping" category. Combined with a $5 "no-rush" coupon I had, I wound up getting about $60 worth of stuff for about $35. Some grocery and PP items are priced very competitively, but have to watch out for high mark-ups on others.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

munemaker wrote:
Incendiary wrote:
My wife has an older Fire tablet. They work well for reading books if you are not in bright sun, but the web browsing capability is not optimum. It is not the equivalent of an iPad, but you are not going to buy an iPad for $30.
Seconded. Very good e-reader. Not a good all-purpose tablet. The Silk web browser was particularly irritating. Older version for me too though--not sure if it was improved.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
marklar13

Post by marklar13 »

Pajamas wrote:If you have never added money to your Amazon Gift Card Balance before, you can add $100 or more and get $10 extra. That's free money if you are going to spend $100 on Amazon anyway.

Thanks for that link. Free $10... worked for me.
aqan

Post by aqan »

great deal for $100. I just paid $180

23andMe DNA Test - Health + Ancestry Personal Genetic Service

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G7PYQTM
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

The current generation Fire HD 8 is a very nice, well-reviewed device, and a better buy and performer than the 7 inch or 10 inch versions. A great Prime Day deal at $49 - I just bought one two weeks ago for $79 :oops:
saltycaper wrote:
munemaker wrote:
Incendiary wrote:
Seconded. Very good e-reader. Not a good all-purpose tablet. The Silk web browser was particularly irritating. Older version for me too though--not sure if it was improved.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

This is better than prior years. Have been some real price cuts on certain items I've been watching. I'm not sure if they were announced first or not.

Also, wife has an alarm set for a very early hour to pickup a few things going on sale overnight.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Amazon is selling an "Instant Pot DUO80 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, 8 Quart/1200W" - whatever that is - for "$89.99 via Alexa" - whatever that means. Last year it was $69.99, per Doctor of Credit.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

CardinalRule wrote:The current generation Fire HD 8 is a very nice, well-reviewed device, and a better buy and performer than the 7 inch or 10 inch versions. A great Prime Day deal at $49 - I just bought one two weeks ago for $79
Some have had success asking Amazon for price correction, although from reading this forum that seems to be working less often. But within 2 weeks can't you just return the first one and buy now at $49?
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

You're right, I should do that after first asking about a price adjustment. Really happy with the tablet, but $30 is a big difference. Plus, if I order it via Alexa on Prime Day, there is an additional $10 off.

mega317 wrote:
CardinalRule wrote:The current generation Fire HD 8 is a very nice, well-reviewed device, and a better buy and performer than the 7 inch or 10 inch versions. A great Prime Day deal at $49 - I just bought one two weeks ago for $79
Some have had success asking Amazon for price correction, although from reading this forum that seems to be working less often. But within 2 weeks can't you just return the first one and buy now at $49?
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

runner9 wrote:I've spent time going through categories on my computer for Prime Day, a little frustrated that search doesn't seem to work.

Anyway, I have now clicked watch for many items but can't find the list of them anywhere, only that watched is marked when I research through the items.

Any suggestions?
Using the app on my phone, I click primeday on the first screen which brings me to a second screen with tabs that say:

All Deals, Explore, Upcoming, Watching and Trending. I have to swipe sideways to see the Watching tab. Click that tab and you should be good to go.

Evidently these "deals" are very limited. Everything I have watched has sold out in minutes.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

Nothing too crazy of a deal that I can see...

Picked up an Echo Dot for $35 to test it out.
Bought another 20,000 mah external battery to replace a unit I have that I believe has a cell or two going out on it and is not easy to user service.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
themesrob

Post by themesrob »

SrGrumpy wrote:Amazon is selling an "Instant Pot DUO80 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, 8 Quart/1200W" - whatever that is - for "$89.99 via Alexa" - whatever that means. Last year it was $69.99, per Doctor of Credit.
it's a pressure cooker -- I think the $69.99 price was for the smaller size last year. there are apparently stackable deals this time around as well.

Prime day has been pretty decent so far, actually. Picked up some greenies for the dog dirt cheap and some shoes (some of the sales in shoes/clothing are quite good).
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

This year, the stuff seems to be stuff I would actually buy outside of a regular Prime Day. In yesteryears, it's plainly apparent Amazon was running a yard sale on old inventory.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

[quote="CardinalRule"]The current generation Fire HD 8 is a very nice, well-reviewed device, and a better buy and performer than the 7 inch or 10 inch versions. A great Prime Day deal at $49 - I just bought one two weeks ago for $79 :oops:

[quote="saltycaper"][quote="munemaker"][quote="Incendiary"]

I bought one last night, it was here by 9 AM free shipping. The bummer is that the amazon case for it is listed at $24.99, more than half of the fire's discounted price.

edit: I can do math, it's not "more than half" as listed.
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

I've been considering a tablet for a few weeks now, and may jump on the Fire HD8 for $65.
nukewerker

Post by nukewerker »

My wife picked up some legos for my sons b-day this month $17 instead of $60. There were some other lego sets that were good prices as well but sold out quickly.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Buy a $25 Amazon gift card and get a $5 promotional credit, but the credit is only for items sold by Amazon and must be used by August 26th. You can apply a gift card you buy to your own account.

https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=14485264011
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I bought an Echo for my wife, who has been wanting one for a while. It's on sale for $90, regular price is $180.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Pajamas wrote:Buy a $25 Amazon gift card and get a $5 promotional credit, but the credit is only for items sold by Amazon and must be used by August 26th. You can apply a gift card you buy to your own account.

https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=14485264011
Nice, free money! Just bought myself a $25 gift card.
keystone

Post by keystone »

Bungo wrote:I bought an Echo for my wife, who has been wanting one for a while. It's on sale for $90, regular price is $180.
I learned through Slickdeals that Amazon has also been applying a $10 promotional credit on top of this if purchased through Alexa. I tried this and sure enough I received the $10 credit which was applied on my next order, so my total price was $80. I'm not sure how much longer the $10 promo will be available.
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Deleting my messages on this forum
Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Amazon's case is relatively expensive. There are lots of alternatives and many different types; we ended up with this one:

Link to Amazon product page: http://a.co/2mcEheE
heartwood wrote:
CardinalRule wrote:The current generation Fire HD 8 is a very nice, well-reviewed device, and a better buy and performer than the 7 inch or 10 inch versions. A great Prime Day deal at $49 - I just bought one two weeks ago for $79 :oops:
saltycaper wrote:
munemaker wrote:
Incendiary wrote:
I bought one last night, it was here by 9 AM free shipping. The bummer is that the amazon case for it is listed at $24.99, more than half of the fire's discounted price.

edit: I can do math, it's not "more than half" as listed.
jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke »

There was precisely one thing that kinda interested me this year, the Uber gift card. It went live at 10:30 EST this morning. I refreshed at 10:30 to see the price (well, multiple times starting at 10:29) and about 1 second after it showed $79 for the $100 gift card I went to buy it and was able to get on the waitlist instead... If you don't have enough inventory for 2 seconds worth of shopping, don't bother wasting people's time with it. I thought the whole "we're going to advertise sales and then have no inventory to speak of for that stuff" was over after the 2015 Prime Day debacle...
Thanks for nothing Amazon.com
#Primedaysucksagain #primedayfails2017

I posted that on Facebook shortly after it happened, customer service sent me a message and has "sent a form to billing" to see if they can give me the deal anyway. We'll see what billing has to say if/when the contact me..
simmias

Post by simmias »

nukewerker wrote:My wife picked up some legos for my sons b-day this month $17 instead of $60. There were some other lego sets that were good prices as well but sold out quickly.
I think that was a glitch. Several video games were affected as well. I picked up the new Crash Remastered collection for $6.50, for example.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

jlcnuke wrote:There was precisely one thing that kinda interested me this year, the Uber gift card. It went live at 10:30 EST this morning. I refreshed at 10:30 to see the price (well, multiple times starting at 10:29) and about 1 second after it showed $79 for the $100 gift card I went to buy it and was able to get on the waitlist instead... If you don't have enough inventory for 2 seconds worth of shopping, don't bother wasting people's time with it. I thought the whole "we're going to advertise sales and then have no inventory to speak of for that stuff" was over after the 2015 Prime Day debacle...

I posted that on Facebook shortly after it happened, customer service sent me a message and has "sent a form to billing" to see if they can give me the deal anyway. We'll see what billing has to say if/when the contact me..
Use the iPhone app. There is no refresh needed. The app automatically opens to "add to cart" the moment the item is available. If you have to click "refresh" and wait for the page to load and then click add to cart, you'll miss the gift cards. I have been able to get every deal I've wanted using my iPhone.
jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke »

kjvmartin wrote:
jlcnuke wrote:There was precisely one thing that kinda interested me this year, the Uber gift card. It went live at 10:30 EST this morning. I refreshed at 10:30 to see the price (well, multiple times starting at 10:29) and about 1 second after it showed $79 for the $100 gift card I went to buy it and was able to get on the waitlist instead... If you don't have enough inventory for 2 seconds worth of shopping, don't bother wasting people's time with it. I thought the whole "we're going to advertise sales and then have no inventory to speak of for that stuff" was over after the 2015 Prime Day debacle...

Use the iPhone app. There is no refresh needed. The app automatically opens to "add to cart" the moment the item is available. If you have to click "refresh" and wait for the page to load and then click add to cart, you'll miss the gift cards. I have been able to get every deal I've wanted using my iPhone.
As I abhor Apple products, that won't work for me. The entire thing took less than 2 seconds (literally). "Selling out" in less than 2 seconds is unacceptable to me (and they aren't sold out, that's just all of them they were willing to sell at the advertised price, they're still in stock as of now).
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

The other day I bought a USB charger for $23. Today it was offered at a special Prime Day sale price of $36. :shock:
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

As far as the Kindle accessories, the Amazon-branded ones are very much overpriced. They do that because they can get away with it and also because they make very little money on the sale of the device, and probably lose money on them when they are highly discounted. Other companies like Apple do the same thing. Fortunately you can get compatible accessories for much less from other brands.

On really good deals, people are sitting there clicking when it comes live or else have some sort of script to do it for them. Hope you get the deal.

I picked up some coffee earlier today, but the OxiClean deal from the middle of the night was already sold out when I woke up this morning.

My experience with these big Amazon sales events is that they usually have something on sale that I use on a regular basis for much less than I can get it elsewhere.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

jlcnuke wrote:
kjvmartin wrote:

As I abhor Apple products, that won't work for me. The entire thing took less than 2 seconds (literally). "Selling out" in less than 2 seconds is unacceptable to me (and they aren't sold out, that's just all of them they were willing to sell at the advertised price, they're still in stock as of now).
I think any app would work for either ecosystem, but I don't know?
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

[quote="CardinalRule"]Amazon's case is relatively expensive. There are lots of alternatives and many different types; we ended up with this one:

Link to Amazon product page: http://a.co/2mcEheE

Thanks, looks good!