Induction Stoves?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
watchnerd

Induction Stoves?

Post by watchnerd » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:50 pm

We're going to shopping for a house within the next 30 days due to relocation. I've had experience with electric burner stoves (hate them), gas stoves (prefer them), but never induction stoves.

Are they any good? What are the pros and cons?

If coming from gas is it a huge difference in how you cook?

If a house has an older electric stove, is an induction stove a simple drop in replacement, or are the voltages or other things different?
Tweaked 3-Fund: 35% US Equities | 35% Total International | 30% Intermediate Treasuries

curmudgeon

Re: Induction Stoves?

Post by curmudgeon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:06 pm

There are some older threads on here about them; you can try the search function. If we relocate to an area without ng service, I figure we will likely go the induction route, as I really dislike the older style electrics as well. Power requirements should be the same as a standard electric range. You could alternately go with propane, but that is a fair bit of extra expense and hassle to deal with if you aren't using it for heating as well.

If the house has gas, but the kitchen doesn't, you could see what it takes to have a gas line run to the kitchen (easiest if there is crawl space).

tfb

Post by tfb » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:07 pm

I just switched from gas to induction. It combines the benefits of gas and electric: instant on/off/adjustment and clean looks. Food doesn't fall to the wells or burn onto the surface. It doesn't heat up the kitchen or the person as much as gas. Cons include fewer selections, higher prices, and requiring pots and pans to have a flat magnetic bottom.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:43 am

There have definitely been recent threads on induction cooktops so don't overlook them.
watchnerd wrote:Are they any good? What are the pros and cons?
Good is up to you to determine based on how the pros and cons specifically suit you -- same as any other topic. Prior discussions cover this but my quick reply is: I generally prefer gas but I prefer induction over gas. It heats quickly. The cooktop itself isn't heated -- the cookware is heated. They tend to cost more and require compatible cookware.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:59 am

We included an induction cooktop in our recent kitchen remodel after having natural gas in all of our condos/houses over the past 30 years. Works great for us! I'd only go back to gas if I wanted an open flame for a wok or charring or if I was super concerned about a child dropping something heavy on the glass cooktop. On the plus side the glass cooktop does not generate the extra ambient heat of an open flame and is safer. Definitely a very different technology than the electric coils and early generation glass tops from years ago. No comparison whatsoever to old electric technology.

41fan

Post by 41fan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:36 am

watchnerd wrote:We're going to shopping for a house within the next 30 days due to relocation. I've had experience with electric burner stoves (hate them), gas stoves (prefer them), but never induction stoves.

Are they any good? What are the pros and cons?

If coming from gas is it a huge difference in how you cook?

If a house has an older electric stove, is an induction stove a simple drop in replacement, or are the voltages or other things different?
I just got finished researching this exact topic because we are replacing countertops and updating our cooktop in the process. We are going from the old coil electric. I wanted gas, but it will cost too much to get a gas line extended from the furnace down into our kitchen. So we looked at induction electric. The problem I ran into there was that most of the induction cooktops recommend 50 amp service, sometimes a minimum of 40 amps, but my house (built in 2003) only has a 30 amp circuit for the cooktop. There are *a few* induction cooktops that are rated for a 30 amp circuit, but they are out of the price range we set.

So after all of that, the pros of the induction cooktops are that they have instant temperature control, boil water faster than gas, surface temperature of the cooktop stays relatively cool, etc. Cons are that they require a larger wiring circuit than most existing homes probably have, require specific cookware to work (aluminum pots will not work), some people report a humming or buzzing sound from the cooktop/cookware, etc.

bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:56 pm

We had an induction cooktop in our current home when we moved in.

I'd say it was good for boiling water. That was about it. Oh, and it was easy to clean.

I could not wait to remodel the kitchen and extend NG to that wall. We now have a NG Capitol cooktop. It is very nice.

furikake

Post by furikake » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:06 pm

I have too many pots and pans that are not magnetic. I thought about getting induction cooktop when we were building this house, but because of the existing pots and pans, we decided on gas. I do have a portable induction cooktop that I use occasionally, it works very well. As to which one to choose, I think I may want both. Not very helpful, sorry. :D

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:20 pm

I started a thread about it here. Based on the thread, we bought one. So far I can say simply we love it. We haven't found any downside to it yet.

An Electrolux 30" Free-standing Electric Range, E1301F40LSB, cost about $1,700 in a store where comparable traditional stoves cost about $1,100. My wife is the cook. Things pretty much cook the same on the stovetop as they used to, but the control of heat level is better, things heat and cool down faster, the bottoms of the pots and pans heat more evenly, the flat cooktop doesn't get very hot and has been easy to clean. Yes, we had to buy some new cookware, but not a lot. So far the "magnet test" (if a magnet will stick to it, it will work) has been reliable. It also has a convection oven, which actually cooks better than the traditional oven as far as I'm concerned.

I said no downside, but I'll give it one exception. Dammit, it's a little complicated and in my opinion the user interface is not great... and, this is going to sound bizarre but all the stove readouts are in blue LEDs and the blue color is just a little bit hard to read.

Wiring? Hmmm. No idea. We had an electric stove put in when we moved in in the 1970s so I guess that particular bit of wiring is less than fifty years old, and whatever they thought was right for an electric stove in the 1970s was right for this stove. They just took out the old stove and plugged the new stove into the old plug. Let me run down in the basement and see what the breaker says. Forty amps. Really, that's not standard for an electric stove?
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:31 pm

bigdav160 wrote:We had an induction cooktop in our current home when we moved in.

I'd say it was good for boiling water. That was about it. Oh, and it was easy to clean.

I could not wait to remodel the kitchen and extend NG to that wall. We now have a NG Capitol cooktop. It is very nice.
Are you saying it's not good when trying to fry or sear something?

Not sure how the physics could make it good at boiling water and bad at that, unless it's a heat spread issue or something...
Tweaked 3-Fund: 35% US Equities | 35% Total International | 30% Intermediate Treasuries

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:35 pm

My wife thinks it's very good for frying because a) it heats the bottom of the frying pan much more evenly than the old electric range ever did, and the gradations of heat are very fine-grained and hold very steadily. She's very pleased at how good it is e.g. for scrambling or frying eggs.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:56 pm

I think there are many advantages to induction cook tops. If you don't have NG anywhere else in the house, then no need to plumb that it. It can make pots/pans heat up fast. Fine tuning of heat is great. Easy to clean. Stove surface doesn't get too hot.

Cons: You need to have ferrous cookware so your all aluminum Al-Clad set won't work. It makes a high pitched whining sound which really bothers me but a lot of people don't seem to hear.

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."