Coyote control

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
unclescrooge

Coyote control

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:00 pm

My neighbor sent me a video of 8 coyotes running from my property on to his (we don't have a wall).

I have idiot neighbors who leave food and water out for wildlife due to the drought. While the drought had ended, sadly their ignorance has not. I think might be contributing to the rise in coyotes and their lack of fear of humans.

What's a good way to deter coyotes?

I'd get a shot gun, but there isn't a safe way to use it without potentially harming someone.

jambadoc

Re: Coyote control

Post by jambadoc » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:06 pm

I would invest in a roadrunner.

And get new neighbors.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:16 pm

Well, #1 is don't feed them but that is apparently out of your control. Beyond that you can make lots of noise (bang some old pots together) or try some of these things.....

http://www.wildlife-removal.com/coyoteprevention.html .

I've had very good luck in the past keeping deer away using the (Scarecrow) motion sprinklers. The trick is in positioning them to the keep the animals out without being too inconvenient (i.e. getting you, visitors, etc.). I used them to keep the deer from eating my gardens and they actually learned to skirt the area after awhile. See sprinklers here....

https://www.amazon.com/Scarecrow-Motion ... +sprinkler

Good Luck!!
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:36 pm

So you don't want to talk to anyone in the Government about this?
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:35 pm

unclescrooge wrote:

I'd get a shot gun, but there isn't a safe way to use it without potentially harming someone.

A shotgun would be useful as a door stop or maybe a paperweight while waiting for duck season. Not very useful for varmints. If legal, safe, and your local government approves, a small centerfire rifle cartridge will work just fine. Think .223 or .243 ish for the small end. You also have a better chance of safely hitting your target with a rifle than a shotgun.

Anyhow. Check what your local government agency has to say as livesoft mentions.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:40 pm

Geez, leave them alone. There are coyotes where I live, so what.

gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:07 pm

If you give them a drink, and then something to eat, they will definitely stay around...... Coyotes? Oh, I thought you were talking about Cougars.......Gordon
Disciple of John Neff

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:19 pm

People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

celia

Post by celia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:58 pm

It is illegal to kill them in many areas, and even if you do, they multiply even faster. They eat just about anything, so besides keeping food sources away, you want to cover your trash and bring your pets in at night. (They eat pets in our area. That's what worries most people.) They can jump over the standard 6 foot fences so don't let your small kids play in the backyard when it starts to get dark.

They are just looking for food and have been known to travel up drainage systems. If you have uncovered crawl holes under your house, they can breed and raise their young there, so cover them up.

Your town/city should know about them and might want to start a campaign to educate people. Even a flyer telling what to do/don't do will alert others as to the correct things to watch for.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:01 pm

livesoft wrote:So you don't want to talk to anyone in the Government about this?
I've never known a government agency to do anything about coyotes. Bears yes, and occasionally cougars or wolves, but not coyotes.

Even cougars and wolves they seldom do anything about until there is an attack. Human attacks are extremely rare, but pet and livestock attacks are not.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:09 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
livesoft wrote:So you don't want to talk to anyone in the Government about this?
I've never known a government agency to do anything about coyotes. Bears yes, and occasionally cougars or wolves, but not coyotes.
Government employees put out cyanide bombs for coyotes. For instance:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-idaho ... SKBN16P03Q
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

celia

Post by celia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:12 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
I've never known a government agency to do anything about coyotes.
Our city has a coyote education program and tracks them. They need to at least respond to your query. It might take calls from a dozen people before they realize the problem is big enough, but you can make a call, can't you?

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:14 pm

jambadoc wrote:I would invest in a roadrunner.
This. Load up on the ACME stock as well. Gonna be a spike in anvil sales...

blueberry

Post by blueberry » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:31 pm

I can only speak about bears having recently heard about this in my neighborhood - if there are complaints about aggressive behavior, they will attempt to catch and relocate the bear. If anyone in the neighborhood is leaving garbage or pet food out, or intentionally feeding the bear, -they won't come out to do the removal- we were told. The complaint went to the sheriff, must be dept of wildlife who does the removal. 8 coyotes is a lot and there must be some significant food source or maybe it's a litter and some will move on.

Jim180

Post by Jim180 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:36 pm

I don't know how rural the area is where you live but setting traps may be effective. Coyotes may be too clever for a catch alive trap so the most effective would be leg- hold traps. Some people frown on this because they consider those kind of traps inhumane but they're effective. You could then dispatch it with a head shot. If you don't want to handle it yourself then contact a game warden for advice. If he doesn't want to get rid of them maybe he could direct you to somebody that does.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:38 pm

mouses wrote:Geez, leave them alone. There are coyotes where I live, so what.
You have a pack of 8 coyotes that live in your yard, and two kids under two?

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:44 pm

livesoft wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:
Government employees put out cyanide bombs for coyotes. For instance:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-idaho ... SKBN16P03Q
Animal control is useless.

Where can I get these bombs? :mrgreen:

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:45 pm

Jim180 wrote:I don't know how rural the area is where you live but setting traps may be effective. Coyotes may be too clever for a catch alive trap so the most effective would be leg- hold traps. Some people frown on this because they consider those kind of traps inhumane but they're effective. You could then dispatch it with a head shot. If you don't want to handle it yourself then contact a game warden for advice. If he doesn't want to get rid of them maybe he could direct you to somebody that does.
It's completely urban. As in 20 mins to downtown to Los Angeles.

Maybe I can put up a gig on craigslist!

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:49 pm

Can you put up a fence?

chmcnm

Post by chmcnm » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:31 pm

That close to LA I'm not sure what you're options are. Definitely try to remove the food source. Also call the local game warden. In PA, coyotes are pretty much legal game any time. People do call them in close enough to use a shotgun. My neighbor where I grew up traps them. He's probably been trapping for 70 years. He showed me a jet black male a few years ago. Beautiful. They are extremely difficult to trap. They're very intelligent. There are still government trappers in the US. They mostly go after bears and mountain lions but they will trap coyotes if the opportunity presents itself. I've known a few people to poison them but you never know what else you might unintentionally poison. Not my cup of tea. Good luck

IFRider

Post by IFRider » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:56 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Is anyone else reminded of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4mogrWHTS4

Living in the Colorado foothills, coyote howls are common around here. Personally, I welcome their presence and vigilance in control
of the rabbit population.

You are out of your league. Since you can't win this battle, perhaps a little research into coyote behavior and common sense
will serve you well. Although, I like your shotgun idea and if you decide to go that way, I would love to hear how that works out for you.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:01 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Check your local laws, this may be possibly illegal.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:46 pm

unclescrooge wrote:What's a good way to deter coyotes?

In many states, you can hunt coyotes. In Arizona, hunters take 30-40k coyotes a year and the population remains fairly stable.

Generally, the best way to get rid of the problem is to contact a wildlife removal service. They will capture and remove coyotes for a fee.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:47 pm

denovo wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
Check your local laws, this may be possibly illegal.
Irrelevant. As stated, I can't safely discharge a firearm without hiring someone or someone's property.

bhtomj

Post by bhtomj » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:48 pm

Fencing in your yard should keep them out if you are doing the normal prevention of not leaving pet food out and keeping trash cans closed.

I also live in the LA area and our city only provides the warnings to keep pets and small children inside in the evening and night.

:idea: This reminds me to ask our Terminix service about them.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:49 pm

IFRider wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:

Living in the Colorado foothills, coyote howls are common around here. Personally, I welcome their presence and vigilance in control

You are out of your league. Since you can't win this battle, perhaps a little research into coyote behavior and common sense
will serve you well. Although, I like your shotgun idea and if you decide to go that way, I would love to hear how that works out for you.
Haha.

The coyotes are brazen out here. If I were to shoot them, it would be in broad daylight.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:03 am

quote="HueyLD"]Can you put up a fence?[/quote]

Putting up a coyote-proof fence is going to be challenging due to the uneven sloping terrain.

blueberry

Post by blueberry » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:12 am

Maybe fence in just a section of the yard if there's some area that's flat. If it's a sore thumb improvement, you can take it down when the kids are older.

Also, this might just be a 'bad year'. I reported a bunch of baby deer I saw near a busy street next to a park thinking maybe they'd put up a barrier, and was told that meant next year there would be a bunch of coyotes.

SGM

Post by SGM » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:25 am

We have coyotes on a farm. We don't like to use traps or poison. If you could protect other animals from traps or poison then you might try it. Our bow hunters have killed coyotes with arrows. We prefer to shoot coyotes with rifles. Do not hesitate to kill coyote pups if you find a nesting area. The pups are cute, but a renter who did not kill them when he had the chance lost all of his chickens. His employer lost some calves. The renter lost 15 chickens the following year. Coyotes also kill deer and smaller varmints. So far we have not lost any dogs although the renter's dog has been threatened at night by a group of coyotes.

We use motion detectors that trigger bright lights to locate coyotes if they approach the renter's residence at night. Several game cameras reveal where coyotes gather during the daytime.

jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:34 am

IFRider wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:

In the "Colorado foothills" it's highly likely that coyote behavior is much different than for those of us that encounter them in highly developed areas where their habitat has been all but eliminated and their normal prey is scarce to find. Common sense does let me know that wild animals in vastly different environments behave differently. Around here they'll attack full-grown people, not just pets. About once a year we'll get a story like this where a person or their pets were attacked (though normally not including the victim keeping the animal around) http://www.gon.com/news/latest-georgia- ... ro-atlanta

My neighbor (2 doors up) had 2 coyotes attack his dog and then chase him up the stairs to his second floor deck trying to continue the attack on both his dog and attacking him when he tried to stop them and get his dog back inside. If that was the behavior of the coyotes around you, then you'd probably not like them quite so much. Personally, I don't welcome their presence and vigilance in attacking children, pets, and even adults. As such, I'm happy to shoot any of them that get close enough for a clean shot (and if they're close enough for a clean shot, they're likely trying to attack me or my dog).

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:39 am

Since you are living in an urban environment, I would learn to live with them. Even if you found someway to make the eight pack disappear, more would just move into that territory and you will be back to square one. Coyotes top out at about 40 pounds and although do get small livestock, it is extremely rare that they attack humans. Your chances of getting struck by lightening or winning the lottery are much much higher.

We have both coyotes and bobcats in our area and I have never feared for my life. Generally all I see is their tails as I try to grab a photograph of them before they are out of sight again.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:08 am

Readers from the East should notice that this thread is about Western coyotes. Read up on Google about Eastern coyotes. Eastern coyotes got created by Western coyotes mixing with wolves and dogs while migrating to the East.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:08 pm

lthenderson wrote:Since you are living in an urban environment, I would learn to live with them. Even if you found someway to make the eight pack disappear, more would just move into that territory and you will be back to square one. Coyotes top out at about 40 pounds and although do get small livestock, it is extremely rare that they attack humans. Your chances of getting struck by lightening or winning the lottery are much much higher.

We have both coyotes and bobcats in our area and I have never feared for my life. Generally all I see is their tails as I try to grab a photograph of them before they are out of sight again.
It is very common for coyotes to kill pet dogs here. I wouldn't be surprised if a pack could take down a 100lb German Shepard.

I'm worried about the safety of my young kids.

The coyotes I've seen are small, probably 30lbs, but have zero fear of humans, spending afternoons sunning themselves on porches and stoops.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:11 pm

bhtomj wrote:Fencing in your yard should keep them out if you are doing the normal prevention of not leaving pet food out and keeping trash cans closed.

I also live in the LA area and our city only provides the warnings to keep pets and small children inside in the evening and night.

:idea: This reminds me to ask our Terminix service about them.
Fencing is hard due to the terrain. It's uneven and sloping. Plus it needs to be over 8 ft high, and at least a foot under the soil to prevent them digging under it.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:03 pm

If they travel well known paths you can use snares to trap them. From there it depends on the laws in your area. In many locations they get blasted in exchange for a bounty.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:03 pm

unclescrooge wrote:

I once bought a Wham-O slingshot and a box of moth balls to shoot at a large bunch of very noisy raccoons that were partying on our roof all night. It must have been a mating season thing. I never got a shot off, but it worked perfectly anyway as they never showed up in mass like that again. :wink:

I would try it on the coyotes. The light low ballistic coefficient moth balls won't have much range, so you are very unlikely to break a neighbors window if you miss wildly or ricochet off a rock.
JW
Retired at Last

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Where I live, it's illegal to feed wild animals, with the exception of specified (charismatic) birds. A call to Fish & Game would get the neighbor a visit. Maybe your state/county has a similar law.

If you see the coyotes while you're outside. a handful of pebbles will get them running. We have gravel "lawns" here, so handfuls of pebbles are always present. Mostly they run away as soon as I bend down to grab the pebbles.

They can get over any lawful-height wall. For small outdoor pets, the only effective protection is a covered kennel area and/or short leashes and varying your walk routes/times (yes, they learn small pets' routines).

8 together is unusual and probably represent parents with 2 seasons of kits. This will probably break up soon, as the older kits will be driven away. But that's a formidable number of coyotes!

thecarrotfund

Post by thecarrotfund » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:24 pm

I believe that a pellet/BB gun would be helpful. The coyotes will quickly learn to avoid your area if they are consistently peppered but it will have to become your new main hobby.
Perhaps a solar charged tape fence would give them reason to avoid your yard? Easy to install, not horridly expensive.
They are very patterned in behavior, so try to use that to advantage.
"not all storms are in the forecast"

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:34 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
That must be some large yard. I wouldn't leave toddlers outside unattended, but that's just me.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:37 pm

Jim180 wrote:I don't know how rural the area is where you live but setting traps may be effective. Coyotes may be too clever for a catch alive trap so the most effective would be leg- hold traps. Some people frown on this because they consider those kind of traps inhumane but they're effective. You could then dispatch it with a head shot.
If you;re lucky you can catch someone's pet dog or a deer or some human walking through the woods.

chmcnm

Post by chmcnm » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:52 pm

I feel for you because your choices are limited living in the city. Two Great Pyrenees or Anatolians would be good deterrents. Having dealt with varmints getting at livestock and pets you reach the point where there's no middle ground. Eventually they eat too much or kill too much livestock or start getting too bold around kids/pets. When your life or livelihood depends on it the varmints have to go and there's no subtle way to do it.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:06 pm

Shoot them or trap them then shoot them.

EyeYield

Post by EyeYield » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:07 pm

Anywhere within 20 minutes from downtown LA it's illegal to shoot coyotes. This is a problem for all of us who live in this area.
I've chased a single coyote around the block twice before it headed up the hill after it chased my previous feline years ago. Feline escaped.

I remembered this story http://abc7.com/pets/video-coyotes-chas ... nk/233542/
and when I searched for it I was surprised to find so many other videos for that same area - which is about 20 minutes from downtown LA.

There's really no permanent deterrent, except to keep vigilant and don't leave food or pets outside at night.

I've seen a hunting party of four walking down my street and sidewalk with military precision at 4:am. I screamed at them and they picked up the pace in perfect formation, like the Blue Angels on land.

I've thought about buying a used splash cymbal with stand and shooting it with a pellet gun, but haven't tried it yet.
Even if you scare them to a short distance away, they will still hang around.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:19 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:Shoot them or trap them then shoot them.
Agreed. I know that isn't an option here but in many places it is a necessity. The coyote population is greater now than at any point in history.

island

Post by island » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:02 pm

If you can't do a fence sounds like you can't do anything about the coyotes, but what about the "idiot" neighbors? Have you talked to them, shown them the video? I would.

pezblanco

Post by pezblanco » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:22 am

EyeYield wrote:Anywhere within 20 minutes from downtown LA it's illegal to shoot coyotes. This is a problem for all of us who live in this area.
I've chased a single coyote around the block twice before it headed up the hill after it chased my previous feline years ago. Feline escaped.

I remembered this story http://abc7.com/pets/video-coyotes-chas ... nk/233542/
and when I searched for it I was surprised to find so many other videos for that same area - which is about 20 minutes from downtown LA.

There's really no permanent deterrent, except to keep vigilant and don't leave food or pets outside at night.

I've seen a hunting party of four walking down my street and sidewalk with military precision at 4:am. I screamed at them and they picked up the pace in perfect formation, like the Blue Angels on land.

I've thought about buying a used splash cymbal with stand and shooting it with a pellet gun, but haven't tried it yet.
Even if you scare them to a short distance away, they will still hang around.
Is your cat free roaming? Is that legal where you live?

Ducks Unlimited used to ask people to not "varmit hunt" coyotes as they were far more valuable to duck populations alive than dead ... (they predate on feral cats and are much less effective at killing ground nesting birds are than the cats (feral AND domestic)). Not be obnoxious about it, but if your cat is free roaming, it is killing ground nesting birds .... most cat owners that do this either deny it or don't care.

All the talk about shooting and trapping coyotes falls into the same category as the efficacy of bug zappers. Killing coyotes typically has very little effect on the observed population density .... more coyotes will come in to reclaim "expatriated territory". Not more than 10 minutes ago, I spied one running across my side yard (which inspired me to write this post) .... they are a part of this ecosystem. They are beneficial animals in many ways. The local rednecks love to shoot, poison, and trap them etc etc .... it has very little effect.

They are by and large not pack animals .... mainly solitary hunters. They do get together for short periods now and then ... for hunting and socializing. Coyote attacks on humans are rare .... usually focused on children. OP says he has small children ... well I wouldn't leave them alone unattended obviously but once they get to the age of 5 or 6, I doubt there is much to worry about from coyotes. Having a small area fenced for the little ones seems prudent to me .... why not go that route. Most of the suggestions involving pellet guns, guns, poisons, shotguns, etc etc are just silly and unworkable.

IFRider

Post by IFRider » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:07 am

pezblanco wrote:Ducks Unlimited used to ask people to not "varmit hunt" coyotes as they were far more valuable to duck populations alive than dead ... (they predate on feral cats and are much less effective at killing ground nesting birds are than the cats (feral AND domestic)). Not be obnoxious about it, but if your cat is free roaming, it is killing ground nesting birds .... most cat owners that do this either deny it or don't care.
+1 They kill plenty of songbirds also. Domestic cats are indoor animals.
pezblanco wrote:All the talk about shooting and trapping coyotes falls into the same category as the efficacy of bug zappers. Killing coyotes typically has very little effect on the observed population density .... more coyotes will come in to reclaim "expatriated territory". Not more than 10 minutes ago, I spied one running across my side yard (which inspired me to write this post) .... they are a part of this ecosystem. They are beneficial animals in many ways. The local rednecks love to shoot, poison, and trap them etc etc .... it has very little effect.

They are by and large not pack animals .... mainly solitary hunters. They do get together for short periods now and then ... for hunting and socializing. Coyote attacks on humans are rare .... usually focused on children. OP says he has small children ... well I wouldn't leave them alone unattended obviously but once they get to the age of 5 or 6, I doubt there is much to worry about from coyotes. Having a small area fenced for the little ones seems prudent to me .... why not go that route. Most of the suggestions involving pellet guns, guns, poisons, shotguns, etc etc are just silly and unworkable.
I'm really confused by this thread. I did some googling after a previous poster provided a link to a story whereby a man was attacked by a rabid coyote, and I can't find any reliable statistics on this. The only numbers I find are on Wikipedia. They document four, that's 4, coyote attacks on humans from 2008 - 2013 in the entire state of Colorado, and two of those were the same animal and was quickly euthanized. Granted old data, and probably higher today, but not something I hear about even once a year.

In reality, I think the OP would be better served protecting his family from the household dog. In my area (Colorado front range), there are 8 cases of dog attacks on humans reported every day. That's almost 3000 cases of dog attacks every year in a 130 mile stretch from Colorado Springs to Ft. Collins. Half of these attacks are on children and many require hospitalization and some form of reconstructive surgery.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:42 am

IFRider wrote:
pezblanco wrote:Ducks Unlimited used to ask people to not "varmit hunt" coyotes as they were far more valuable to duck populations alive than dead ... (they predate on feral cats and are much less effective at killing ground nesting birds are than the cats (feral AND domestic)). Not be obnoxious about it, but if your cat is free roaming, it is killing ground nesting birds .... most cat owners that do this either deny it or don't care.
+1 They kill plenty of songbirds also. Domestic cats are indoor animals.
pezblanco wrote:All the talk about shooting and trapping coyotes falls into the same category as the efficacy of bug zappers. Killing coyotes typically has very little effect on the observed population density .... more coyotes will come in to reclaim "expatriated territory". Not more than 10 minutes ago, I spied one running across my side yard (which inspired me to write this post) .... they are a part of this ecosystem. They are beneficial animals in many ways. The local rednecks love to shoot, poison, and trap them etc etc .... it has very little effect.

I'm really confused by this thread. I did some googling after a previous poster provided a link to a story whereby a man was attacked by a rabid coyote, and I can't find any reliable statistics on this. The only numbers I find are on Wikipedia. They document four, that's 4, coyote attacks on humans from 2008 - 2013 in the entire state of Colorado, and two of those were the same animal and was quickly euthanized. Granted old data, and probably higher today, but not something I hear about even once a year.

In reality, I think the OP would be better served protecting his family from the household dog. In my area (Colorado front range), there are 8 cases of dog attacks on humans reported every day. That's almost 3000 cases of dog attacks every year in a 130 mile stretch from Colorado Springs to Ft. Collins. Half of these attacks are on children and many require hospitalization and some form of reconstructive surgery.
Haha. Made me laugh. My dog is a 10lb mini husky. My two year is twice her size and four times as vicious!
But yes, larger dogs can be a greater threat.

The reason Colorado has low incidents of coyote attacks is probably due to a lower population density. There are roughly 19 million people living in the Los Angeles MSA, and it's the country's 2nd most densely populated area.

There's bound to be more friction between wild life and humans here.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:48 am

Most mammals can be repelled using home made pepper spray which you can make out of hot peppers, oil, and dish detergent. I work in flavors so I just got some old capsicum oleoresin mixed it with canola oil, water and dish detergent, put it in a spray bottle. It worked great at getting rid of some small skunks that made a burrow under my front porch. The canola oil and dish detergent is because capsaicin is not water soluble.

IFRider

Post by IFRider » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:49 am

I looked at LA too. Found this, still unreliable, but certainly not an epidemic:

The county reported two coyote attacks on people in 2011, the first year such records were kept, three in 2012, six in 2013, 15 in 2015, and two, so far, in 2016.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/environment- ... ssue-in-la