any way to eat healthier at Subway (or any other quick lunch ideas)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
am

Re: any way to eat healthier at Subway (or any other quick lunch ideas)

Post by am » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:05 pm

timmy wrote:Chopped salad. One chocolate chip cookie. Water.

Read that the chocolate chip cookie is the most processed unhealthy thing in the restaurant. But I hear you, I would get a cookie up until 6 months ago when I gave it up. Does the chopped salad with say rotisserie chicken or oven roasted chicken breast hold you until dinner?

island

Post by island » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Curious, what do you eat (and drink) when not at work? Ever go to other restos or do you make all your own meals, only buy non-processed and organic fruits and veggies?

J295

Post by J295 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:26 pm

If you are quite serious about this read about Mediterranean diet and make your own lunch.

Get Ezekiel or similar bread at grocery store. Not all "wheat" bread is created equal.

retiredbuthappy

Post by retiredbuthappy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:55 pm

I love the Panera Green Goddess salad. Skip the dressing and the roll. Greens are wonderful and toppings fun. $10 makes lunch for 2 days. Protein is sliced chicken and HBegg.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:56 pm

am wrote:
timmy wrote:Chopped salad. One chocolate chip cookie. Water.

Read that the chocolate chip cookie is the most processed unhealthy thing in the restaurant. But I hear you, I would get a cookie up until 6 months ago when I gave it up. Does the chopped salad with say rotisserie chicken or oven roasted chicken breast hold you until dinner?
My brain won't listen to your #fakecookiefacts :confused

I try both types of chicken. Yes. It will hold me until dinner. That said, when I travel (& only time I eat Subway), I only eat 2 meals per day, so I'm used to longer periods of non eating. That may make me not the best source.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:07 pm

mrc wrote:
hicabob wrote:Which of the following ingredients upsets you?

"9-GRAIN WHEAT Whole wheat flour, enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate,
riboflavin, folic acid), yeast, sugar, wheat gluten, contains 2% or less of: calcium carbonate, soybean
oil, salt, wheat, rye, yellow corn, oats, triticale, brown rice, barley, flax seed, millet, sorghum, refinery
syrup
, vitamin D2, sunflower lecithin, natural flavor, honey, ascorbic acid, yeast extract, enzymes.
Contains wheat."
Added sugars in general and specifically in bread. For starters. Make your own food.
To quote Carl Sagan, the famous astronomer, "to make Apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". :mrgreen:

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:17 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
mrc wrote:
hicabob wrote:Which of the following ingredients upsets you?

"9-GRAIN WHEAT Whole wheat flour, enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate,
riboflavin, folic acid), yeast, sugar, wheat gluten, contains 2% or less of: calcium carbonate, soybean
oil, salt, wheat, rye, yellow corn, oats, triticale, brown rice, barley, flax seed, millet, sorghum, refinery
syrup
, vitamin D2, sunflower lecithin, natural flavor, honey, ascorbic acid, yeast extract, enzymes.
Contains wheat."
Added sugars in general and specifically in bread. For starters. Make your own food.
To quote Carl Sagan, the famous astronomer, "to make Apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". :mrgreen:
Recipe notes: Previously, you would have made your universe -- thawed ...

And while I'm here again, on the nutritive value of this "9-GRAIN" bread, there is more salt in it that there is wheat (again), rye, yellow corn, oats, triticale, brown rice, barley, flax seed (seed or grain?) and millet. Really this is 1 grain (wheat) bread, with lots of refined sugar, with pinches of 8 other grains.

Grandma's recipe: wheat bread flour, water, yeast, pinch of salt.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Milo wrote:The referenced article is a little misleading in my opinion. As most articles of this type are. It throws out the statistic that eating processed meats has been proven to increase your likelihood of getting colorectal cancer 18%. Then it goes on to say that the actual risk of developing the cancer over a lifetime is 5% and if you eat processed meats it's almost 6%. Articles like this throw out the big numbers first and then hide the smaller numbers in the following paragraphs. What if the article had said 1% and 2% ? Then the increased likelihood would have been almost 100%. Now that would have been scary. Except.....2%. My point is 18% isn't what you should be focusing on. I say eat deli meat if you want and live with the knowledge that you may or may not be increasing your cancer risk from 5% to 6%.

Cancer aside, you should also be aware that deli meat has a lot of sodium. Maybe half your recommended allowance. I'd be more concerned about heart problems from eating deli meat than cancer. I eat low sodium deli turkey.
There is pretty much zero direct evidence (that I have seen, and I researched this stuff for a living) that "processed meat" in isolation is a carcinogen, at least any more so than many vegetables are. The problems arise when nitrites are cooked at high temps or exposed to acidic environments and convert into nitrosamines. Guess what, many root vegetables have far higher level of nitrites and also are often cooked at high temperatures and your gut is an acidic environment. A beet can be far more "carcinogenic" than a hot dog depending on how it is prepared. All the research is corollary in nature; people who tend to consume a lot of processed meat, don't tend to be too concerned about their health in general (bad dietary habits overall, low rates of physical activity, high rates of smoking and alcohol consumption, etc.). It's good old streetlamp science with some fear mongering thrown in.

That being said, unless it is dire circumstances you couldn't pay me to eat processed meat or commercially produced bread. The stuff is nutrition-void garbage. Then again, health/nutrition is my career and there is very few (if any) people on this board who take their diet as serious as I do. These type of issues aren't complicated: the less you eat out and the less processed the food you eat in general is, the better off you will be. I don't understand what is so difficult about preparing food at home to bring to work, but I have been doing it virtually my whole life. Eating out isn't even an option in my mind.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:24 pm

dm200 wrote:
F150HD wrote:
am wrote:
tim1999 wrote:Buy better quality breads and name brand meats at a decent supermarket and make your own sandwiches at home to bring to work.
The world health organization has stated that deli meats and other processed meats are carcinogens. Another reason why I am hesitant to make my own deli sandwiches.
https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/worl ... ancer.html
your comment is somewhat misleading
Overall, the lifetime risk of someone developing colon cancer is 5%. To put the numbers into perspective, the increased risk from eating the amount of processed meat in the study would raise average lifetime risk to almost 6%.[/i]

One percent here and one percent there - and pretty soon the risk of increased death can go up a LOT.

Given that the change was less than 1% its just not really meaningful to quote such a study

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:33 pm

am wrote:
F150HD wrote:
am wrote:
tim1999 wrote:Buy better quality breads and name brand meats at a decent supermarket and make your own sandwiches at home to bring to work.
The world health organization has stated that deli meats and other processed meats are carcinogens. Another reason why I am hesitant to make my own deli sandwiches.

https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/worl ... ancer.html
your comment is somewhat misleading

Overall, the lifetime risk of someone developing colon cancer is 5%. To put the numbers into perspective, the increased risk from eating the amount of processed meat in the study would raise average lifetime risk to almost 6%.
I get it, but it bothers me to put a known carcinogen into my body.
sure.

where do you live? my guess is breathing the air in some cities is much worse then eating a slice of lunchmeat. :happy

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:33 pm

stoptothink wrote: A beet can be far more "carcinogenic" than a hot dog depending on how it is prepared.
! I love my pickled beets out of the can. Am I eating myself into an early grave?

Wade Garrett

Post by Wade Garrett » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:48 pm

J295 wrote:Get Ezekiel or similar bread at grocery store. Not all "wheat" bread is created equal.
This. I don't eat a lot of bread, but I eat Ezekiel flax sprouted whole grain when I do.

Wade Garrett

Post by Wade Garrett » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:51 pm

stoptothink wrote:unless it is dire circumstances you couldn't pay me to eat processed meat or commercially produced bread. The stuff is nutrition-void garbage.... These type of issues aren't complicated: the less you eat out and the less processed the food you eat in general is, the better off you will be.... Eating out isn't even an option in my mind.
:thumbsup

epictetus

Post by epictetus » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:02 pm

natural peanut butter on whole wheat bread makes a fine, filling lunch. no refrigeration needed.
Focus on what you can control

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Is Subway literally the only "restaurant" in your town? (to be fair, I have an NYC consultant buddy that flies to somewhere in ALA weekly for work, and he claims this town has only McTerrible's and Subway)

Can you get to a place like Chipotle?

Check out Tim Ferriss' book The 4 Hour Body ... for many reasons, one is about eating, how to make and cook food, but also what random restaurants you can make decent meals from. Chipotle is a common use case, he listed several individual weight loss use cases around users that ate at Chipotle 2x a day (these are people that don't cook and probably ate McD's for a living) and lost 90+ lbs doing it. You can make lettuce bowls with beans, meat, vegetables, corn, salsa, guac, and maybe a little cheese and sour cream for flavor. Cut out the rice, and it is a very healthy and high-protein veggie bowl. Slightly higher cost than a subway sandwich but one hell of a lot better for you. You could replicate this at other similar mexican food type establishments where you get mostly meat, beans, and vegetables.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

VaR

Post by VaR » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:17 pm

mpsz wrote: and the claim that their chicken is allegedly only about 50% real.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/subway-no-m ... our-bread/
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/17/su ... ken-report
I like that you're citing the Subway response to the allegations. :) From other articles I've read it seems to me that the CBC contracted the wrong kind of laboratory to do their testing, misread the science, and sensationalized the results. My money is on Subway chicken as being of similar quality to other highly processed and enhanced chicken products sold by other low-cost mega-chains.

I used to eat the veggie delight at Subway for a while a few years ago, but I've since found better options.

Bringing food from home is always a good choice, but making informed choices at Subway or other chains isn't a bad option.

Remember that portion control is as important as the quality of ingredients. As an example, very few people really need to eat an entire foot long sub!

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:20 pm

Not to steal the thread, but as a physician married to an oncologist a decision of eating subway or other deli meats is not going to be the cause of cancer or not. Colon cancer definitely has a dietary cause, but not solely due to processed meat. Heck not even closely. Roughage or lack thereof is more responsible. So if one cuts on deli meat, but in the process cuts out roughage then you still would be increasing your risk. . If there is ONE thing not to eat is smoked fish as that is the reason Japanese have such a high rate of stomach cancer.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

UncleBen

Post by UncleBen » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:26 pm

If you want truly healthy lunches you probably have to bite the bullet and brown bag it. The healthier you eat, the more your choices are limited.

If you don't have time to go prepare a lunch or pack some leftovers at home AND you don't have time to go to a healthier place like Chipotle, Panera, or Noodles & Co at lunchtime, you probably have a work/life balance problem in addition to the healthy eating problem.

Wade Garrett

Post by Wade Garrett » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:40 pm

staythecourse wrote:If there is ONE thing not to eat is smoked fish as that is the reason Japanese have such a high rate of stomach cancer.

Interesting. Is it the actual fish that's the issue or the fact that it's smoked or what?

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:45 pm

Seems easy enough looking at their menu.

http://www.subway.com/en-us/menunutrition/menu

Get one of the salads without processed meat or cheese (similar to the "Fresh Fit" sandwich choices), use a low-fat dressing such as plain vinegar on it, get the apple slices to eat with it, and drink the 1% milk or water. You could substitute cheese for meat.

If you really want a sandwich, choose one of the "Fresh Fit" choices, go heavy on the vegetables, and don't add any mayo or mayo-based dressings or cheese unless you substitute cheese for meat. The breads they offer are probably roughly equivalent to each other nutritionally, unless some of the fancier ones have a lot of cheese.

Here are some nutritionists' picks at Subway with their explanations, which are helpful. Some of their suggestions include cheese or bacon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08/04 ... y/561147/1

I don't believe that Subway chicken is 50% soy although a Whole Foods accidentally switched the curried chicken salad with a version with fake chicken in it by mistake a few years ago and none of the customers who bought either version noticed. Subway's explanation that the seasoning and marinade contains a small amount of soy is much more believable.

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/l ... story.html

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:53 pm

What is processed meats? I buy turkey breast (not smoked) in the tupperware that states it doesn't have nitrates, sometimes I buy the ham (which I'm assuming is processed meat?). Never salami, hot-dogs, bacon or anything like that. We don't eat out much, but when we do, I don't care what we eat, since the frequency is so little.

We always pack our lunches, usually always with whole grain breads and fruits, etc. Although I will admit I have to get my cookie fix in and on weekends we allow ourselves to drink our soda pop (we never drink booze).

freebeer

Post by freebeer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:58 pm

am wrote:I don't have the opportunity at my job to go out for lunch so I have been buying subway subs before work starts for lunch...
I go for whole-grain flatbread + veggie patty + avocado + extra spinach + extra red onions + bell peppers + one swipe sweet onion sauce ... not sure of total nutritional value (and the veggie patty is a bit high in sodium) but I'm sure this is WAY healthier than most other fast food options.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:00 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
stoptothink wrote: A beet can be far more "carcinogenic" than a hot dog depending on how it is prepared.
! I love my pickled beets out of the can. Am I eating myself into an early grave?
I eat them to so I might beet you to it. :wink:

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Anytime that I eat out, I NEVER finish the food. If I order a burger, I rip off half of the bread (with the mayo part as that has more calories) and a bit of the meat and cheese and put it to the side. I don't doggybag it either. Yes it is a waste of food, but helps me maintain my weight. If I didn't do that, I would be much fatter than now.

boyler99

Post by boyler99 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:23 pm

am wrote:I don't have the opportunity at my job to go out for lunch so I have been buying subway subs before work starts for lunch. As I get older I have become more health conscious and I have read some disturbing information on the internet about how unhealthy their food products are and how they use preservatives and other unhealthy chemicals. Just learned their wheat bread is not whole wheat but something like colored white bread with a little more fiber. I am motivated to eat healthier and was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for healthier lunches at subway? What kinds of healthy options do readers eat for their work lunches?
For me, it's a salad lunch every day, different each week but the idea is the same: some type of greens, some type of bell peppers, some sort of berries / mango / pineapple, some sort of nuts, some type of cheese (blue/goat/etc.), tomatoes, sometimes hot peppers, etc. Bring that to work, along with an apple, banana, and a few more nuts as snacks throughout the day, and you can get quite full without needing a microwave and without eating processed foods. It took a few weeks to get adjusted, but I've been doing this for over a year and I've never been healthier.

Best part is that I can enjoy going out to eat "guilt free" once or twice a week for dinner, since my lunches are so healthy. In the old days I used to eat unhealthy for lunch AND dinner, now it's more like 75% healthy, 25% unhealthy, and frankly a little "unhealthy" eating isn't a problem because life is too short!

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:28 pm

cheesepep wrote:Anytime that I eat out, I NEVER finish the food. If I order a burger, I rip off half of the bread (with the mayo part as that has more calories) and a bit of the meat and cheese and put it to the side. I don't doggybag it either. Yes it is a waste of food, but helps me maintain my weight. If I didn't do that, I would be much fatter than now.
Wife and I usually always share an entree

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:32 pm

What was that about beets above? I found this:

Q: Are beets really nutritious?

A: Beets are a great nutrient-rich vegetable with low calorie content despite their sweet taste. They are an excellent source of folate, a B vitamin that is heart-healthy and, because of its role in producing and repairing DNA, seems to be part of our anti-cancer arsenal, too. The red color comes from compounds called betalains, which laboratory studies suggest could be both heart- and cancer-protective. In animal studies, beets seem to inhibit carcinogen formation and increase production of immune cells and body enzymes that help fight cancer development. Whether cooked, canned or raw, beets provide an array of nutrients, including potassium and vitamin C. Gently home-cooked beets maintain much of the nutrition, and raw beets preserve even more of the heat-sensitive nutrients. Try them peeled and grated raw into salads for an added burst of color.
Source: AICR HealthTalk
Karen Collins, MS, RDN, CDN, FAND
American Institute for Cancer Research (2014)

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:38 pm

As for smoked fish, it seems to be the ones using nitrates that are problematic. I found this:

As you’ve probably heard, the World Health Organization’s cancer research agency classified processed meat as “carcinogenic to humans” back in October. The agency found that eating 50 grams of processed meat–i.e salted, cured, fermented, smoked, or otherwise processed–each day increases the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%. The theory behind this finding has to do with the nitrates/nitrites found in processed meats. One proposed mechanism is that the iron in meat works as a catalyst to turn nitrates/nitrites added as preservatives into a carcinogen. (You can read about a study examining this process here).
But, here’s something you should also know: Processed meats–like bacon, ham, sausages and hot dogs–are not the only animal products containing nitrates. Some brands of smoked salmon are also made with them. To be clear, the WHO only tested the health impact of nitrates/nitrites in processed meat, not in fish. But, given the strong evidence linking nitrates in processed meat to cancer, I’d prefer to avoid the additive altogether.
Just look at the ingredients of your favorite brand of smoked salmon or lox and you may see an item such as “sodium nitrite” on the list. For example, I’ve checked some packages of Acme smoked Nova salmon and found them to contain sodium nitrites. (You can read the ingredients of Acme smoked salmon products here). Vita brand salmon also contains nitrites; sodium nitrite is the 3rd ingredient on the list (see photos below), in addition to food coloring, by the way. I’ve also seen nitrites in some store brands of smoked salmon.
[source: https://homehealthlove.com/2015/12/15/c ... ed-salmon/]

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Many of the meats including Turkey and chicken at Subway do not include nitrate and nitrites. Not surprising that many of the pork products do.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Wade Garrett wrote:
staythecourse wrote:If there is ONE thing not to eat is smoked fish as that is the reason Japanese have such a high rate of stomach cancer.

Interesting. Is it the actual fish that's the issue or the fact that it's smoked or what?
Specifically, smoked fish.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:11 pm

am wrote: I read that their roasted chicken breast is only 50% or so chicken
That is false. https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/03 ... 100-weird/

Note: I'm friends with an employee at ELISA labs and trust their work completely.

Zott

Post by Zott » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:49 pm

Herekittykitty wrote:I bring my own (vegetarian) lunch to work, but sometimes a group from work goes to Subway and I go with them, and get the veggie sandwich.

If you want meat at lunch, and also want to go to Subway for lunch, you could grill or otherwise cook meat on the weekends and/or evenings like you would anyway but increase the amount so you can slice it for lunches too.

So your Subway routine becomes: Bring meat to work that you have cooked and sliced yourself. Go to Subway and get the veggie sandwich, with lots of veggies. Sit down or go back to work, and put the meat you brought into the veggie sandwich.

Voila!

I was going to suggest this as well, except if you are near a Trader Joe's, you can get their Uncured Black Forest Ham--no added nitrates and fairly low sodium, and put that in your veggie sub. I always enjoyed the vegetables at Subway, especially the spinach, cucumber and tomatoes. TJ's may have other uncured meats as well, worth checking out.

moghopper

Post by moghopper » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:05 pm

hicabob wrote:I quite like the "engineered food" Soylent a few times a week . Easy, healthy, priced OK.
I use the powder and blend frozen fruit in. The bottles would be better for a work lunch.

https://www.soylent.com/
If they're going to use that name, I'm not going to use their product.

moghopper

Post by moghopper » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Milo wrote: Cancer aside, you should also be aware that deli meat has a lot of sodium. Maybe half your recommended allowance. I'd be more concerned about heart problems from eating deli meat than cancer. I eat low sodium deli turkey.
There seems to be some contention over this recently with both sides arguing with one another. But more than one study has come out casting doubt on sodium's role.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 124909.htm

3spots

Post by 3spots » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:43 am

Well, if you have a Habit restaurant nearby, their grilled chicken salad is my favorite. It is unbelievably fresh -- not what you'd expect from a great hamburger place!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:31 am

rgs92 wrote:What was that about beets above? I found this:

Q: Are beets really nutritious?

A: Beets are a great nutrient-rich vegetable with low calorie content despite their sweet taste. They are an excellent source of folate, a B vitamin that is heart-healthy and, because of its role in producing and repairing DNA, seems to be part of our anti-cancer arsenal, too. The red color comes from compounds called betalains, which laboratory studies suggest could be both heart- and cancer-protective. In animal studies, beets seem to inhibit carcinogen formation and increase production of immune cells and body enzymes that help fight cancer development. Whether cooked, canned or raw, beets provide an array of nutrients, including potassium and vitamin C. Gently home-cooked beets maintain much of the nutrition, and raw beets preserve even more of the heat-sensitive nutrients. Try them peeled and grated raw into salads for an added burst of color.
Source: AICR HealthTalk
Karen Collins, MS, RDN, CDN, FAND
American Institute for Cancer Research (2014)
Beets are great, densely nutritious and something I very much enjoy to eat. My statement that beets can be far more "carcinogenic" than processed meat is simply to point out that the idea that "processed meat" in isolation greatly increases cancer risk simply has no evidence-based foundation. A serving of beets has several times the amount of nitrites that are in a hot dog and is often prepared under very high heat and exposed to the same acidic environment, which converts much of the nitrites into nitrosamines. There are many reasons not to eat a lot of processed meat (I do not eat any), it is just odd that cancer risk has been the one that resonates with people. The idea that they are "carcinogenic" is simple fear mongering.

seashell

Post by seashell » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:39 am

batch cook vegetables on a cookie sheet at home. take to work in pyrex.

your choice:
broccoli
cauliflower
purple cabbage
green beans
asparagus
bok choy
carrots
celery

etc

try also
baked yams or sweet potato for starch

next add healthy fat
after done cooking
olive oil
olives
avocado

add your choice of protein.

and you have lunch that's healthy and easy to cook

it takes only 20 minutes to roast veggies on 350. if you batch cook a variety you can mix and match
all week. cook only on Sundays.

you can add any variety of fresh or dried herbs.

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:00 am

moghopper wrote:
Milo wrote: Cancer aside, you should also be aware that deli meat has a lot of sodium. Maybe half your recommended allowance. I'd be more concerned about heart problems from eating deli meat than cancer. I eat low sodium deli turkey.
There seems to be some contention over this recently with both sides arguing with one another. But more than one study has come out casting doubt on sodium's role.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 124909.htm
Man, I wish these "experts" would just decide already! :)

gettingsmarter

Post by gettingsmarter » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:09 am

Skip breakfast and lunch. Just have one a meal a day; you'll have more time, money and better health.

kramer

Post by kramer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:09 am

squirm wrote:
cheesepep wrote:Anytime that I eat out, I NEVER finish the food. If I order a burger, I rip off half of the bread (with the mayo part as that has more calories) and a bit of the meat and cheese and put it to the side. I don't doggybag it either. Yes it is a waste of food, but helps me maintain my weight. If I didn't do that, I would be much fatter than now.
Wife and I usually always share an entree
You are lucky ... I actually have to be a bit choosy because many entrees are too small for me at most places. And if I am eating after a workout, I will usually have to order extra.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:24 am

F150HD wrote:
Overall, the lifetime risk of someone developing colon cancer is 5%. To put the numbers into perspective, the increased risk from eating the amount of processed meat in the study would raise average lifetime risk to almost 6%.
Also from that article:

They found that eating 50 grams of processed meat every day increased the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%. That’s the equivalent of about 4 strips of bacon or 1 hot dog.

I added the bold face for emphasis. The total quantity matters! Assuming a linear relationship between dose and response (which may or may not be valid here), eating that amount once per week would increase the risk by about 2.5% i.e. from 5% to about 5.13%.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:36 am

retiredjg wrote:
am wrote:The world health organization has stated that deli meats and other processed meats are carcinogens. Another reason why I am hesitant to make my own deli sandwiches.
It takes some determination, but you can find bacon, sausage, hot dogs, and deli meats that are uncured and do not have nitrates or nitrites added. Some of these products are also non-gmo, grass raised, etc. Applegate products come to mind but there are others.

They are expensive compared to "ordinary" and some do contain more sodium than you might want.

If you don't read labels and know what to look for, it might be a good time to start learning about this.
If you do read the labels but don't actually research what they mean it might be a good time to start learning.

"uncured" and "no nitrates added" just means that they use celery juice or celery extract which has "natural" nitrates/nitrites. Its still the same effect but of course people trust companies to accurately market things that are healthy for you. People will gladly pay more to feel better about being healthy without actually changing anything.

Pro tip: Anything marketed as healthy on the package likely isn't. You can tell because it comes in a package.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:48 am

This is drifting a bit off topic, but uncured turkey bacon is available. I like the version with pepper. It is not the same thing as pork bacon but it is good for what it actually is and is an adequate substitute. Nutritionally, it is about 40 calories a slice and has little fat, but often is slightly high in sodium.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:50 am

barnaclebob wrote:
retiredjg wrote:
am wrote:The world health organization has stated that deli meats and other processed meats are carcinogens. Another reason why I am hesitant to make my own deli sandwiches.
It takes some determination, but you can find bacon, sausage, hot dogs, and deli meats that are uncured and do not have nitrates or nitrites added. Some of these products are also non-gmo, grass raised, etc. Applegate products come to mind but there are others.

They are expensive compared to "ordinary" and some do contain more sodium than you might want.

If you don't read labels and know what to look for, it might be a good time to start learning about this.
If you do read the labels but don't actually research what they mean it might be a good time to start learning.

"uncured" and "no nitrates added" just means that they use celery juice or celery extract which has "natural" nitrates/nitrites. Its still the same effect but of course people trust companies to accurately market things that are healthy for you. People will gladly pay more to feel better about being healthy without actually changing anything.

Pro tip: Anything marketed as healthy on the package likely isn't. You can tell because it comes in a package.
+1

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:51 am

When I go to Subway (not that often), I choose the six-inch turkey (not what they call the "premium turkey") on whole grain wheat with lots of veggies and no dressing. I think that is a pretty healthy choice.

LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:55 am

Subway will make any "sub' into a salad bowl. Stick with lean chicken/turkey, add veggies, and be reasonable in your dressing choices.

Also happens to be low-carb since you're cutting out the bread.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:02 am

Beans - Black - soak overnight, dump water, cook beans - no salt, then saute in unsalted tomato sauce, throw in some chopped onions and red bell peppers, some frozen unsweetened corn, toss in some spices - i like chili powder, a little bit of cumin. You will not miss the salt. Add it to a burrito sized tortilla down the center, then create a pocket, use spoon to push it down and fill it up some more, then close the top and wrap it up to bring to work - but only if you have a toaster oven, microwave doesn't do it justice. Eat one of those and it will keep you going for 4 or 5 hours, no problem.

Chicken - I bake chicken breast, breaded with plain bread crumbs and spices leaving out the salt. Add to whole grain wheat, toss in some mixed green salad on bottom and top of breast,then top it with sauteed mushrooms, sauteed onions are optional, mustard optional. Wrap it up, better than most deli shops.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

jmk

Post by jmk » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:03 am

It's easy to eat healthy at subway:
-
  • load up on vegetables
  • avoid the mayonnaise and oils
  • get healthier proteins, like Veggie Patty, Turkey or Roast Chicken etc, avoiding sauce-laden options like teriaki chicken

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:47 am

I don't think anything at Subway is healthy.

I prep all much lunches for the week on Sunday at home in pyrex glass containers.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:51 am

F150HD wrote: where do you live? my guess is breathing the air in some cities is much worse then eating a slice of lunchmeat.
The air in rural agricultural areas is a significant risk factor as well, though. So much for fresh country air!