Do not buy new cellphones on ebay

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jags4186

Re: Do not buy new cellphones on ebay

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:34 am

Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:40 am
Jags4186 wrote:I still don't know why anyone buys anything on eBay. You can usually, if not always, find what you're looking for cheaper at a real store and stacking coupons, rebates, etc. etc. Perhaps its okay for out of print items that you know are just regular people reselling their old junk...
You misunderstand eBay just like the OP. There are buyer guarantees and feedback loops so that you don't get "junk". Know how to use them and you can save yourself lots of money.
I don't buy that much "stuff" so I don't really need to learn how to use them. The savings offered by eBay isn't that substantial IMO. Especially considering that you can go through similar amounts of "work" to get an equally good deal from a real store.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:25 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:34 am
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:I still don't know why anyone buys anything on eBay. You can usually, if not always, find what you're looking for cheaper at a real store and stacking coupons, rebates, etc. etc. Perhaps its okay for out of print items that you know are just regular people reselling their old junk...
You misunderstand eBay just like the OP. There are buyer guarantees and feedback loops so that you don't get "junk". Know how to use them and you can save yourself lots of money.
I don't buy that much "stuff" so I don't really need to learn how to use them. The savings offered by eBay isn't that substantial IMO. Especially considering that you can go through similar amounts of "work" to get an equally good deal from a real store.
Not really.
Living the dream

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:25 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Not really.
Really!

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:07 pm

It sounds like eBay is being blamed for buyers not paying attention to what they buy or sellers purposefully misleading what they are selling. I'm sure you can find someone that bought a scarf/shoes/computer/hammer/purse/jackhammer/etc on eBay and wasn't happy so I am not sure this generalization make senses. I've had problems with Vanguard so should no one ever buy a mutual fund from them?

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 pm
Iliketoridemybike wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:25 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Iliketoridemybike wrote:

Not really.
Really!
No, not really. You just need to pay attention to what you buy and who you buy it from.