What to wear for job interview - skip the tie?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tim1999

What to wear for job interview - skip the tie?

Post by tim1999 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:12 pm

I have my first in-person job interview coming up relating to a recent job search (grown to hate my current job - that's another story), first I've had in probably 10 years, other recent ones have been by phone only. Without giving too many details, the prospective employer is much like my current employer. Think megacorp, sort of like engineering, not tech/IT related. In the office the men generally wear golf shirts or button down shirts and khakis or jeans. The CEO and the rest of senior management don't wear suits and ties unless they are meeting with Wall Street folks or having professional photos taken. When I interviewed for this current job around a decade ago, I wore a suit and tie. Recently we interviewed a man for a position basically the same as mine. He wore a suit and dress shirt but no tie. We also had a man wear a dress shirt, tie, and khakis. No suit. Both were offered the job. Nobody on the interview panel made any comments about what they wore.

I don't know what the current standard is. Can I skip the tie but wear the suit? Will anyone care? I HATE, ABSOLUTELY HATE, ties, and feel extremely uncomfortable wearing one. I didn't even wear one to my wedding and insisted on that. The suit I have is a quality one bought about a year ago. If I went with a tie I'd probably have to go get a new one as my current ones are probably 15 years old, although good quality (Brooks Bros.), a little dated I'm guessing.

For what it's worth, I vaguely know the main person who will be interviewing me/having the biggest input on the decision and he does not dress very fashionable/dressy at all on a daily basis at work. I do not want to seem over or under dressed for this interview. I could see wearing the tie if this were for a management or sales job, but it's not.

TIAX

Re: What to wear for job interview - skip the tie?

Post by TIAX » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:24 pm

Definitely wear a tie. There's a high enough chance you'll get someone who cares. The norm for professional job interviews is still tie.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Wear the tie. No downside to wearing the tie, potential downside to skipping it.

Go to a used store and find a tie.

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:46 pm

tim1999 wrote:... sort of like engineering, not tech/IT related.
If you're going to look at physical hardware, skip the tie and the suit. If you're wearing clothing/shoes the interviewers have to worry about, it will change the trajectory of the interview.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:54 pm

I once interviewed for an engineering job in silicon valley. At the time, the joke going around the engineering community was that if someone important was coming in, wear pants. Guys otherwise would wear shorts, flip flops and t shirts fit to paint a house with.

I wore a suit but a nice sweater under the jacket and no tie. I got the job offer but was told that those who interviewed me had to check a box on their forms "did not wear tie" which gave my consideration a bad mark. You never know and unless specifically told otherwise, wear the tie.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Another tie vote.
When we interview the applicants change into scrubs about 20 min into the interview, for the rest of the interview (tour the operating rooms etc).
The ones who take the time to wear business attire (with suit) are the norm.
Conversely ones in casual attire give first impression that they aren't taking it as seriously.
This is especially true if they're mid-career MDs applying - gives off vibe that they're smug and don't want to impress as much = they won't work as hard.
Substance is most important, but first impressions count too. Why not get off on the right foot?

TigerNest

Post by TigerNest » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:59 pm

I'd wear the tie.

Your shirt collar might be too tight if you hate ties that much. Go to a suit store and buy a white collared shirt with a wider collar. Neck collars go up in 0.5 inch increments (i.e. 15" to 18"). You should be able to button the top button comfortably. Your tie doesn't need to be tighter than that.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:53 pm

I retired after 32 years took 3 months off and then went back to work. I went out and bought a brand new suit, shirt, tie and shoes. Got the job lasted 3 months then went back to retirement.

Yes do it all. I thought about skipping the suit but when I got there the 2 other applicants had suits on. I was glad I had mine on.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:10 pm

Put on the shirt, socks, suit, shoes and.........TIE.
Whether you like wearing one or not is irrelevant. What matters is that you look professional and put together.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Grandpa's words of wisdom:

Always dress for the job interview two levels higher than the one you're applying for. A friend in high school took this advice and went to a big box hardware store for a seasonal interview. He was literally pulled out of a line, given an interview, hired on the spot, and started a pretty good career with that company that helped pay for school.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:22 pm

ALWAYS dress to impress!
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:22 pm

kjvmartin wrote:Grandpa's words of wisdom:

Always dress for the job interview two levels higher than the one you're applying for. A friend in high school took this advice and went to a big box hardware store for a seasonal interview. He was literally pulled out of a line, given an interview, hired on the spot, and started a pretty good career with that company that helped pay for school.
+1
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Better to dress up, and adjust down. You could always stash the tie in a pocket if it's apparent you shouldn't be wearing it.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Wear the tie.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:50 pm

It is somewhat of a local environment thing. What do people wear who show up to interviews at your current company? Last time I wore a tie to a job interview was 35+ years ago, when I was graduating from college. But then I spent most of my career in silicon valley engineering roles. Around here people might wonder a little bit about your fit to the culture if you show up wearing a suit for an interview, but unless you have lots of other quirks it will hardly be noticed. I can only think of one or two in the last 50 I interviewed who showed up in suit/tie.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:08 pm

If in doubt, I would personally wear a tie. I feel awkward in them, too, but feeling awkward for a day is a pretty minimal sacrifice for the sake of getting a better job.

I work for a company where we actually tell applicants not to wear a tie for their interview, because it will just be an awkward experience for them in a workplace where half the engineers have dirty hands at any given moment, but I'm pretty sure we're an unusual exception, not the norm. I started a couple years before that instruction was added to the invitation for an interview. I actually got laughed at when I walked in the door because I had a tie. I considered that a good sign that I was going to like the place. I got the job.

Every other job interview I've been in, I'm fairly certain the tie was appropriate. There were a few, however, where in retrospect, I think a suit was too dressed up for the situation.

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:12 pm

My rule of thumb is, when in doubt, better to dress up and than dress down.

I was going through similar dilemma in for a recent interview (e.g. tie or no tie, suit or no suit). It's not that I hate tie or suit, I just didn't want to look out of place. I knew exactly what the work environment looked like (had a lot of collaborators) and what people there were: anywhere from t-shirt to polo shirt to button down shirt, khaki, jeans. But then I decided why not dress well to show how much I care about getting the job there. Went out a bought the whole suit, not expensive (just a bit over $200), but looks decent. Somehow in the interview I ended up talking to the director; he had apparently known my name somehow from another person who recommended me there. He made a comment 'jokingly' that next time I talk to him (if/when I got the job) I didn't have to dress so sharp, but at that time I was glad that I did.

And I did get the job. Not sure that my clothing choice affected anything, but getting the job made me feel better about spending the money for the attire :)

AC

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Mr.BB wrote:
kjvmartin wrote:Grandpa's words of wisdom:

+1
I once interviewed in a 3-piece suit and tie for what turned out to be a sheet-metal fabricating job, when I was looking for an engineering internship.

I did not get the job. :D And I did a little more homework the next time.
"A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness." -- Albert Einstein, just before he won the Nobel Prize.

Choy

Post by Choy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:18 pm

Wear a tie.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:06 pm

I remember wearing the Full Tux, Tie, Tails and Topper ensemble to a job interview in the month of August and finding the hiring manager wearing a T-Shirt. Didn't get job.
All the Best, | Joe

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Does weather change anyone's vote? If it's summer, and you are in Phoenix or Houston. You know you will need to park and walk in. Do you relent and skip the tie to avoid sweating buckets?

Personally, I keep the jacket, which covers the sweat, and skip the tie, which exacerbates it.

BAM!

Post by BAM! » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:55 pm

Just wear the tie. It shows you're taking the job interview seriously.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:23 pm

Tuxedo shirt.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:51 pm

tim1999 wrote: I HATE, ABSOLUTELY HATE, ties, and feel extremely uncomfortable wearing one.
Wrap a tie around your head like Rambo.

Seriously, wear a tie.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:23 am

Wear the tie. It's a sign of respect.

I've heard that low level people at tech companies may not appreciate it, but you are not being interviewed by low level people,
you are being interview by managers.

I've hired people in IT. I never held a suit and tie against people. We do have client contact, so our normal attire is dress pants, dress shirts.

In fact only one of the people that I have hired did not wear a suit and tie to the interview. I wear a suit and tie when I interview people,
as a sign of respect to them. I have suit coat and tie in my office, as at times I need to slip them when meeting with VP level and
above.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:47 am

OP: I've conducted thousands of job interviews. I've seen so many people who were clearly uncomfortable in a tie and suit. Interviewers judge on poise. If you are going to be so uncomfortable in your dress, it will show, and the outcome may be that you are downgraded. The most important thing you can do is impress the interview panel with your demeanor and technical knowledge. No one wants to work with someone who appears uptight.

So despite the many people who say to wear the tie, I say dress in a respectful style that is within the norms of the organization. Ditch the tie.

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:26 am

Mr.BB wrote:ALWAYS dress to impress!
So does that mean a $5000 Kiton wool cashmere sport coat with no tie or a $300 suit on special at Joseph Banks with a tie? A cheap suit with a tie is still a cheap suit.

johnubc

Post by johnubc » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:50 am

First Impressions have a way of disqualifying your before you can even speak.

Wear a suit - with the tie - unless told differently. It is a sign of respect for the company - but also a reflection of yourself showing that you care about this interview. This is something I take into consideration, as this is their time to impress me - and if this is the best they can do, it makes a difference.

Harley BenV

Post by Harley BenV » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:01 am

A proper fitted suit with tie. Use Black white black black combo or a Blue white Blue with brown belt and shoe combo. Tie can be of any color if its matching your scheme

Harley BenV

Post by Harley BenV » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:02 am

Never ever take attire for guaranteed. It does have an effect on your personality and how you carry it. Wear a tie. Always!

JPH

Post by JPH » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:06 am

I once had a job interview in Texas, and they took me to lunch in the cafeteria. I remember how my hosts expressed their strong displeasure at some other men that were without jackets and in SHORT SLEEVES in the month of May. I had flown in from New York so I was able to play along.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:24 am

Wear the tie.

The convention of the "interview suit" is so strong that the way you say "I am not making any fashion statement at all" is by wearing a tie. What people expect of interviewees is not the same as what they expect of employees. In a job interview, simply wearing a tie is not saying "I am trying to outdress you."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

SleepKing

Post by SleepKing » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:25 am

Wear a tie.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:36 am

tigermilk wrote:
So does that mean a $5000 Kiton wool cashmere sport coat with no tie or a $300 suit on special at Joseph Banks with a tie? A cheap suit with a tie is still a cheap suit.
It probably depends on those doing the interview. If the panel is made up of people like me who have to Google "Kiton wool" to figure out if Kiton is a clothing brand or a type of sheep, it probably won't be impressive so the Joseph Banks suit is fine.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:05 am

johnubc wrote:First Impressions have a way of disqualifying your before you can even speak.

Wear a suit - with the tie - unless told differently. It is a sign of respect for the company - but also a reflection of yourself showing that you care about this interview. This is something I take into consideration, as this is their time to impress me - and if this is the best they can do, it makes a difference.
+1

Even in jobs that have a relatively casual dress code, dressing up for a job interview broadcasts that you are trying to make a good impression. It may or may not be important to the people interviewing you - but there is no way to tell in advance.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:52 am

I work in IT and always wear a suit and tie to an interview unless told otherwise. I do consulting so I have been to many different companies. Granted, almost all are fortune 1000 and not start-up type operations. Obviously most offices don't wear suits and ties anymore, but that doesn't matter. It shows you are respectful and interested in the job and putting in an extra effort.

blueberry

Post by blueberry » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:04 am

Tie definitely. My career was spent in a very casual atmosphere (academia related), and we bragged about the casual atmosphere. Nevertheless, when once an interviewee came in with a tie on and the interviewers in t-shirts and shorts, everyone was very impressed. It felt like the interviewee was showing respect and truly wanted the job.

rob65

Post by rob65 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:38 am

Megacorp or similar? I would wear the tie.

Smaller company or a start-up? Gets more complicated. I'll offer the dissenting view that it is possible to overdress for an interview and create a concern that you won't fit into the company culture.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:38 pm

tim1999 wrote:Think megacorp, sort of like engineering, not tech/IT related. In the office the men generally wear golf shirts or button down shirts and khakis or jeans.

I do not want to seem over or under dressed for this interview.
First, separate what is worn in an interview vs. what existing employees wear every day to work. Not the same. One is an employee, one is a prospective employee. I work with Apple. The guys I meet with wear t-shirts and cargo shorts to executive briefing center meetings. Not my idea of sexy or business casual, but whatever, that's their choice. Would I wear that to interview at Apple? Yeah, right.

No such thing as over dressed. No one looks funny at the guy that looks "too good" .. does James Bond get snide looks for taking down bad guys in a suit? Didn't think so. I wish I could run and shoot in an Armani suit. Some day.

There is such a thing as under dressed. You do not want to be that guy. Ever. Nail the interview, get the job, then wear whatever tickles your fancy.

Edit to add: per above post, my comments apply to any megacorp type scenario. Sure, if you are going to meet Jack Dorsey at a coffee shop in his skinny jeans as potential Twitter employee #2, then wear whatever, but those are maybe 1% or less of job interview scenarios.

FWIW I work at a F50 megacorp, similar to OP's description of his prospective interviewing company, folks mostly wear whatever. But I wore a brand new suit and tie to my final in-person panel interview, knocked it out of the park, and received many compliments weeks and months later, once I was on-board, about my attire and presentation that day. Absolutely it made a big difference.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Wear the tie. Without a doubt.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Tie the tie properly. And don't forget the shoes. People often look at the shoes first, and nothing says "loser" than a guy in a nice suit with grubby shoes. Socks should match the pant color, not the shoe color.

dia
Location: a lively twirling planet located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun

Post by dia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:42 pm

If you have the qualifications, attitude and personality that fits the team, you'll most likely get the job whether you have a tie or not. Always go the extra mile, wear the tie--it's the added touch, the detail to show you care and respect the organization.

Be thankful you're only saddled with the not-so-comfortable tie-- what would you do if you were expected to wear heels and a skirt while carrying a purse and a case? :D
What, Me Worry? --Alfred E. Neuman

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Cruise wrote:OP: I've conducted thousands of job interviews. I've seen so many people who were clearly uncomfortable in a tie and suit. Interviewers judge on poise. If you are going to be so uncomfortable in your dress, it will show, and the outcome may be that you are downgraded. The most important thing you can do is impress the interview panel with your demeanor and technical knowledge. No one wants to work with someone who appears uptight.

So despite the many people who say to wear the tie, I say dress in a respectful style that is within the norms of the organization. Ditch the tie.

100% agree. If the chemistry and your qualifications are right for the job and your interviewers, not wearing a tie will make absolutely no difference. If you truly hate wearing a tie, then be true to yourself and don't wear one. But - regardless of tie, make sure you are well groomed and well dressed. In most cases in business as well as job interviews, particularly in technical, engineering or science, the perfect clothes and grooming are the ones that no one notices either positive or negative.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Smorgasbord wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
It probably depends on those doing the interview. If the panel is made up of people like me who have to Google "Kiton wool" to figure out if Kiton is a clothing brand or a type of sheep, it probably won't be impressive so the Joseph Banks suit is fine.
:thumbsup
All the Best, | Joe

HopeToGolf

Post by HopeToGolf » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Last time I did this, I choose not to wear a tie. It worked out well. I wanted to send a message that while I was wearing a suit (without a tie), if not wearing a tie to an interview at a company where the dress was business casual was going to hurt my chances of getting the job, I was OK with that.

The decision to wear a tie or not was going to be the least important decision I would have to make for the company. If they didn't like my choice, I was not the right candidate for the role.

Call me a risk taking rogue....did the company want that guy on the team?

donall

Post by donall » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:29 am

Wear the tie. As a person hiring, I still remember the person who wore shorts to an interview, and not favorably. One of my colleagues looks at more, such as nails and hair. I should add that my colleague doesn't care what the person looks like while on the job, but feels appearance such as a manicure demonstrates someone prepared for the interview!

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:47 am

100% wear the tie.

Funny story, I interviewed at PwC when I was a senior in college. The HR person I spoke with specifically told me there was no need to wear a suit and tie since everyone wears business casual around the office (I didn't ask and planned on wearing a suit and tie). So PwC does the full wine and dine routine, flies me from Syracuse to Boston on a small jet, puts me up in the Four Seasons for the night, etc. I show up to the interview with about 20 other people and I'm the only person (male or female) not in formal business attire.

To this day, the only job I ever interviewed for that I did not get offered a position

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:49 am

My employer (in Silicon Valley) explicitly states in its interview invitation letter that "interview attire is business casual" (I of course wore jeans and a t-shirt, as I always do for interviews and all other occasions :D ). Nonetheless, we get an occasional candidate, always from out of state, who wears a tie. I don't hold it against them, but I would not be surprised if some interviewers did, for not following instructions and/or for not being a good cultural fit.

Best solution to avoid any potential misattire would be for the OP to contact the recruiter or whoever he/she is communicating with at the company, and ask what's the usual interview attire.

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 am

Wear the tie, but also be prepared with a response if anybody makes fun of you for wearing a tie, like:

"Hopefully you'll see me again, but this will be the last time you see me in a tie!"

or

"Shows how much I want the job!"

or

"I'm glad to hear that, since I haven't worn a tie for two years and it's driving me nuts!"

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:19 am

I'll be the contrarian. I've never worn a suit or tie to an job interview. I just wore button up shirts and khakis. I never had a problem getting job offers. I was also an engineer working for companies where suits and ties were never worn on a daily basis as well.