Doing dishes while camping

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bligh

Doing dishes while camping

Post by bligh »

Alright so I know this is a personal finance forum and this question has very little to do with personal finance but I am sure there are going to be some of you who are seasoned outdoors people, and this is something that has been bothering me for some time. Hopefully there is someone on here who can share a helpful tip or two with me.

Here is question.

I've been going car+tent camping quite frequently with my kids (we've been averaging about 4 times a year). I never got to do any of this as a kid and hardly anyone in my social circle seems to be into it, so I am pretty much self taught. I have a system down for just about everything except washing the dishes. How do you guys do your dishes?

I dont like using disposable plates/spoons/etc. because something about creating trash while being in the outdoors just doesn't sit right with me. If there is a faucet available near by I will take my dishes there and wash them being as careful as possible with the water, but the cold water and biodegradable soap just fail at removing the grease so I inevitably end up using a lot more water than I would like. Also I noticed that very few people seem to wash dishes near the faucet. (In bear territory I have seen warnings against doing it)... it is almost like the other campers dont have dishes to wash or have some magical way of cleaning the dishes and then disposing of the dirty water. I imagine the guys with the RVs just use their kitchen, but there are plenty of others who I see car camping! How do they do it?

So does anyone have any advice for me? I want the cleanest dishes/utensils possible, with minimum effort, minimum water usage, minimum biodegradable soap, minimum trash and minimum scent (for when I am in bear country).

I would appreciate any tips!
Hunky-dory

Re: Doing dishes while camping

Post by Hunky-dory »

I take it you are not thru hiking. I bring a plastic water jug that holds 5+ gallons of water and has a nozzle. Keep dish soap at camp and just use the water jug.
Teague

Post by Teague »

The reason folks don't do their dishes by the faucet is good camping etiquette. The faucet area is obviously the most convenient, but if everyone did their dishes there that area would soon become overcrowded with dish-doers, not to mention a soupy mess.

A better way is to do your dishes at your campsite. Get water from the faucet, heat some of it over your stove and use that for washing. Rinse with cold water.
Semper Augustus
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

The way we used to do it when I tent camped was to have a couple of plastic trays (something like an 8 or 10 quart capacity); one for wash water, one for rinse water. We'd use those to wash dishes at the campsite. When done washing, we'd dump the wash water in the bushes, then use the rinse water to clean the wash tray and throw the rinse water in the bushes. We never were in bear territory, though. I'd figure out some other disposal method for the water if that was a concern. Once the trays are dry, they nest together and you can use them for storage.
iceport

Post by iceport »

For car camping I have generally used a large (~5 gal.) shower bag or two — for both personal bathing and dishes (NOT drinking). The bag can be hung on a nail in a tree at a convenient height with a wash bowl and small sponge for doing dishes. If filled in the AM and left in the sun, it's usually luke-warm in the evening. Only the greasiest dishes need heated water in the wash bowl. Then the hung water bag is used for rinsing. I used to worry about biodegradable soap, but then realized such a small amount of regular dish soap is needed, I just use that now.

Obviously, you need to consider bear risks specific to the site. It pays to be as neat as absolutely possible everywhere, but it's especially important where there is a risk of grizzlies and/or bold black bears. The wash site should be as far as practical from the tent site. Dishes should be wiped clean of food first.
Last edited by iceport on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Go to youtube.com and search, then watch.

I camp single, double, and with a large group of say 8 people. Let's say we are cooking on a stove a big one-pot meal such as Kung Pao chicken or Thai curry w/chicken or jambalaya. We will scrape out the pot with a spatula (nylon or silicone) to serve into people's bowls, cups, plates, so the pot is fairly clean. Then we heat a little water to hot in the pot and add soap and use plastic scour pad to clean. Other dishes are washed in this hot soapy water. The water goes in the latrine / pit toilet if available or we bury it in a hole we dig well away from camp site. We don't dump this water in the bushes. We have another small pot with hot/boiling water for a rinse, but could use the same pot after dumping the soapy water.

Dr Bronner's is a soap lots of people like.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Backpackers can make meals in the containers that the food comes in. Foil pouch technology is awesome today. So they just add hot water, stir, and use a home-made koozie to keep it hot for tens of minutes. Eat out of pouch with a long-handle spoon, then empty pouch goes in trash to be carried out.
woodenpelican

Post by woodenpelican »

We have two 11 QT stacking rubbermaid dish bins (Google "dish bin" and you will see a bunch). We heat water on our stove, and wash the dishes in the first bin with some soap and a sponge. Massive amounts of food/sauce is wiped out first with a paper towel and thrown away. The second bin is used to rinse with cold water, then dry. Once finished, you can pour the dirty water from the wash bin through a sieve, or onto a cheap handkerchief to catch the larger food waste, which goes in the garbage. The water itself we dump into the bushes in a "dispersed" sort of arc.

If we are in an area without potable water, we boil stream/lake water for the first "wash" bin, then use filtered water for the "rinse" bin.
Topic Author
bligh

Post by bligh »

Hunky-dory wrote:I take it you are not thru hiking. I bring a plastic water jug that holds 5+ gallons of water and has a nozzle. Keep dish soap at camp and just use the water jug.
Not yet, I want to get work us up to backpacking (where we hike up all the gear to a camping site) and finally thru-hiking. But I need to get the basics first.

Anyway, how do you dispose of the dirty water? What soap do you use?
Topic Author
bligh

Post by bligh »

Teague wrote:The reason folks don't do their dishes by the faucet is good camping etiquette. The faucet area is obviously the most convenient, but if everyone did their dishes there that area would soon become overcrowded with dish-doers, not to mention a soupy mess.
That is what my instinct was too. I have never been told off by anyone for doing it, but I always felt I was doing something awkward...
Teague wrote:A better way is to do your dishes at your campsite. Get water from the faucet, heat some of it over your stove and use that for washing. Rinse with cold water.
Thanks.. I like the idea of using the stove to warm up the water. The warm water will definitely help with grease. I will need to bring 2 buckets with me then? 1 to hold hot soapy water, and 1 to rinse? How do you dispose of the dirty water?
Topic Author
bligh

Post by bligh »

livesoft wrote:Go to youtube.com and search, then watch.
I did! I also tried following the videos but they make it look so much easier than it was when I tried it. I was either having dirty dishes, or using too much water.
livesoft wrote: I camp single, double, and with a large group of say 8 people. Let's say we are cooking on a stove a big one-pot meal such as Kung Pao chicken or Thai curry w/chicken or jambalaya. We will scrape out the pot with a spatula (nylon or silicone) to serve into people's bowls, cups, plates, so the pot is fairly clean. Then we heat a little water to hot in the pot and add soap and use plastic scour pad to clean. Other dishes are washed in this hot soapy water. The water goes in the latrine / pit toilet if available or we bury it in a hole we dig well away from camp site. We don't dump this water in the bushes. We have another small pot with hot/boiling water for a rinse, but could use the same pot after dumping the soapy water.

Love it. Thanks livesoft! This is , exactly what I was looking for. I will give that soap a try.. I guess you're saying it is safe to use outdoors.. I am not sure why it didn't occur to me to use the pot as the bucket itself.
Topic Author
bligh

Post by bligh »

woodenpelican wrote:We have two 11 QT stacking rubbermaid dish bins (Google "dish bin" and you will see a bunch). We heat water on our stove, and wash the dishes in the first bin with some soap and a sponge. Massive amounts of food/sauce is wiped out first with a paper towel and thrown away. The second bin is used to rinse with cold water, then dry. Once finished, you can pour the dirty water from the wash bin through a sieve, or onto a cheap handkerchief to catch the larger food waste, which goes in the garbage. The water itself we dump into the bushes in a "dispersed" sort of arc.

If we are in an area without potable water, we boil stream/lake water for the first "wash" bin, then use filtered water for the "rinse" bin.
Thank you! I love the idea of filtering the dirty water before throwing. Did not think of that, but makes total sense to do
CarlZ993

Post by CarlZ993 »

Lots of good advice here. I'll give you some examples that I've seen used before:
- For groups: The three bin method; one bin = warm soapy water (use some sort of scrubbing pad); 2nd bin = rinse water; 3rd bin = water w/ bleach (kill germs). Air dry your dishes.
- For backpacking: Just use water & my fingers. No soap. I use a pot cozy so food doesn't get stuck on the pot (google it). The next time I bowl water for my food, I'll dip my utensil in it to kill any germs that might still be on it. FYI - I'm a thru-hiker (AT & 745M of the PCT).
Carl Z
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

bligh wrote:
I did! I also tried following the videos but they make it look so much easier than it was when I tried it. I was either having dirty dishes, or using too much water.
[,,,]
Love it. Thanks livesoft! This is , exactly what I was looking for. I will give that soap a try.. I guess you're saying it is safe to use outdoors.. I am not sure why it didn't occur to me to use the pot as the bucket itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tNLdcjBlQc is OK, but one can use the same pot for wash, rinse, sanitize. Set/stack dishes aside until pot is ready for next step. And dig a hole to pour the dirty water in.

Also eaters can literally lick their dishes clean first.
Topic Author
bligh

Post by bligh »

livesoft wrote: Also eaters can literally lick their dishes clean first.
Thanks for the link. I think for next time the key will be doing exactly that. Making sure the dishes are as clean as I can get them before starting to do the wash. When I originally tried the bucket system after watching a youtube video .. the water looked filthy only part way through. I now have some great ideas from you guys. My plan for next time is going to be :

- doing a manual lick/wipe clean step on the pots, utensils and dishes before doing the wash step.
- heating water on the stove in the largest dirty pot, adding some soap and and scrubbing the dishes and utensils clean in there.
- filling a tub or two with clean water and then taking the dishes/utensils out of the pot and rinsing them. (possibly using the bleach method in the last step .. though I would rather avoid using bleach!).
- This way the majority of the dirty water remains in the pot. I throw out the dirty water while straining out the food particles.
- Rinse the pot last in the rinsing tub.

Seems good on paper, lets see if I can make it work in practice. lol

Thanks for the advice everyone who posted. :sharebeer
Teague

Post by Teague »

bligh wrote:
...When I originally tried the bucket system after watching a youtube video .. the water looked filthy only part way through. I now have some great ideas from you guys... :sharebeer
Well, sure, this is Bogleheads after all. Some of us like to use a bucket system, while some folks say doing that just muddies the waters. ;)
Semper Augustus
wish

Post by wish »

Try various approaches....we found that both parents and both of our girls were happiest car camping in a tent, eating breakfasts and usually lunches from a cooler, & then exploring a little and having a restaurant supper. Major cooking and dish washing lessened our enjoyment when we tried that. Cooking less made for simpler packing, less cleanup, and freed up way more time for exploring & serendipity .....
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

bligh wrote:,,. the water looked filthy only part way through.
It doesn't matter if the water looks filthy because that was stuff you put in your mouth anyways. Plus you got 2 at least rinses to go.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

When I was a boy scout way back when we used brillow pads and sand. Now there's probably an earth friendly alternative to brillow pads. Then after that and ever since, never have gotten anything dirty enough to wash. -- Tet
LJBP

Post by LJBP »

Good advice overall.
I don't get out as much as I used to, but used to get into the backcountry a bit. As a staple, we typically brought tortillas. We basically wiped the pot/bowl clean with a tortilla at the end of the meal. I found that if you are full, it can be tough to motivate to eat that tortilla. However if you plan for the tortilla as being the starch in your meal, it's pretty easy to do. Most of the oils/fats will come right off. You can get the pot/bowl very nearly clean and then it takes a minimal amount of water to complete the job.
More flexibility when car camping, but same idea holds true---wipe off as much of the food/oil with a paper towel before washing. Wiping will be much easier if you heat up the pan a little to get the oils/fats in a more liquid state.
LAR

Post by LAR »

You can boil the water using a camp stove and the hotter water should help cut through grease more. Do you cook using cast iron or dutch oven? I think they are easier to clean especially if they are well seasoned. Additionally maybe the plastic baskets with wax paper for some meals will produce less trash than a paper plate.
Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer »

I camp single, double, and with a large group of say 8 people. Let's say we are cooking on a stove a big one-pot meal such as Kung Pao chicken or Thai curry w/chicken or jambalaya. We will scrape out the pot with a spatula (nylon or silicone) to serve into people's bowls, cups, plates, so the pot is fairly clean. Then we heat a little water to hot in the pot and add soap and use plastic scour pad to clean. Other dishes are washed in this hot soapy water. The water goes in the latrine / pit toilet if available or we bury it in a hole we dig well away from camp site. We don't dump this water in the bushes. We have another small pot with hot/boiling water for a rinse, but could use the same pot after dumping the soapy water.

This sounds like a really good plan.
white_water

Post by white_water »

3 buckets: hot soapy water, rinse water, final rinse with a bit of Chlorox & water, air dry.

Keep hand sanitizer handy after using the facilities, esp pit toilets also a good idea.
Watty

Post by Watty »

bligh wrote:
woodenpelican wrote:We have two 11 QT stacking rubbermaid dish bins (Google "dish bin" and you will see a bunch). We heat water on our stove, and wash the dishes in the first bin with some soap and a sponge. Massive amounts of food/sauce is wiped out first with a paper towel and thrown away. The second bin is used to rinse with cold water, then dry. Once finished, you can pour the dirty water from the wash bin through a sieve, or onto a cheap handkerchief to catch the larger food waste, which goes in the garbage. The water itself we dump into the bushes in a "dispersed" sort of arc.

Thank you! I love the idea of filtering the dirty water before throwing. Did not think of that, but makes total sense to do
Some campgrounds will have a "sump" for dumping dishwasher. They will be a couple of feet off the road and they look vaguely like an upside down trash can that is about two feet tall and has a heavy metal screen on the top. You pour your dishwater in there and any big chunks will be caught in the screen. You should with pick those up with a paper towel so it does not attract animals and to look better for the next person.

You need to be very careful about washing the dishes well. One time when I was a kid we were car camping and all got diarrhea improperly cleaned dishes was a suspect. After that we used a dash of bleach in the final rinse.

Here is with a suggested method.

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2017/ ... -campsite/
Braje

Post by Braje »

Basel this is what we did except I did throw the water into the bushes and we use paper plates
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

I hate grease. Therefore we never cook any greasy foods. When camping simple is better.
No grease means easier cleaning. Also I put in a little extra water on anything needing water. This way there are no thick food particles to wipe off or dry onto your dishes. Easier cleaning.
The sooner you clean any dishes, the easier it will be.
Camping is a good way to show your kids about conservation as in eating all their food. No leftovers. And when it comes to washing you can teach water conservation.
If there is no faucet at your campsite, someone will have to haul water. Once this "work" kicks in, your water use becomes apparent. Amazing how much water we use at our homes just because it is so easy.
I reckon everyone loves he smell of bacon in a campsite, but way to much work cooking and cleaning such a food.
In a campsite, it is eating, not dining.
Look at it like a BH three fund portfolio. One pot. One spoon, one plate, one cup for each person. Minimize, simplify. It can be a lesson for the kids.
Harley BenV

Post by Harley BenV »

LAR wrote:You can boil the water using a camp stove and the hotter water should help cut through grease more. Do you cook using cast iron or dutch oven? I think they are easier to clean especially if they are well seasoned. Additionally maybe the plastic baskets with wax paper for some meals will produce less trash than a paper plate.

This guy said it best.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I have a 35+ year-old aluminum cook set for backcountry camping. The lid to the 1.5 qt pot is actually a silverstone-coated frying pan of about 6 inches in diameter. So far, nothing has stuck to this pan, so clean-up is wiping it out with toilet paper, then low-volume wash and rinse. The TP can be burned in a camp fire.

Folks reading this thread might like this article on camp cooking from a late June NYTimes: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/dini ... ology.html I found it quite over the top, especially when it came to what folks do for coffee.
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

I use the "Coleman Hot Water on Demand" and its great. Coleman now has a newer model. I leave it setup on the table. Great for Dishes and hand washing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8TsA-QckzE
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

This.

The bins can hold supplies in the car when traveling. They also have collapsible bins now that fold practically flat.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

As you're car camping, you have room to pack things. In Scouts we had an aluminum pot with handle that we would put water in and set on the cooking grate when the meal prep was done. After eating, the water was hot and we'd use it to wash dishes. If you are cooking over a wood fire, you should know that aluminum and probably other cookware will permanently discolor from smoke. If you don't want that, coat the outside with a light layer of liquid dish soap. Then rinse that off when done.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Gryphon wrote:The way we used to do it when I tent camped was to have a couple of plastic trays (something like an 8 or 10 quart capacity); one for wash water, one for rinse water. We'd use those to wash dishes at the campsite. When done washing, we'd dump the wash water in the bushes, then use the rinse water to clean the wash tray and throw the rinse water in the bushes. We never were in bear territory, though. I'd figure out some other disposal method for the water if that was a concern. Once the trays are dry, they nest together and you can use them for storage.
+1 Its been a while but I extensively tent, backwoods and backpack camped when in the boy scouts. Each group would have two plastic tubs, fill one up with soapy wash water (add some hot water from a pot on the camp stove to get a good temp for washing) and a second tub full of cold rinse water.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wash water attracting bears, bigger issue is your food stores. What we did for that was a "bear bag". All the non-perishables go into a sack, then you tie a rope on it, throw the rope up over a branch and haul the bag up as high into a tree as you can. For the cooler stack as much weight on it as you possibly can to seal it tight. Never never NEVER put any food or any items with strong odor in a tent, animals (not just bears, also coons, etc) will tear right through the fabric to get in and get at it.
ucla-engineer

Post by ucla-engineer »

Shallowpockets wrote:I hate grease. Therefore we never cook any greasy foods. When camping simple is better.
No grease means easier cleaning. Also I put in a little extra water on anything needing water. This way there are no thick food particles to wipe off or dry onto your dishes. Easier cleaning.
The sooner you clean any dishes, the easier it will be.
Camping is a good way to show your kids about conservation as in eating all their food. No leftovers. And when it comes to washing you can teach water conservation.
If there is no faucet at your campsite, someone will have to haul water. Once this "work" kicks in, your water use becomes apparent. Amazing how much water we use at our homes just because it is so easy.
I reckon everyone loves he smell of bacon in a campsite, but way to much work cooking and cleaning such a food.
In a campsite, it is eating, not dining.
Look at it like a BH three fund portfolio. One pot. One spoon, one plate, one cup for each person. Minimize, simplify. It can be a lesson for the kids.
If you are car camping and have a fire going, just bring paper based plates/cups and dispose of them in the fire when done. Utensils can be cleaned much easier, or you can also bring the biodegradable kind and dispose in the same manner. If you are burning 50lbs of wood a night for the campfire then some paper plates going up in flame are a rounding error for your carbon footprint.
FRWildcat

Post by FRWildcat »

I use the two dish bin warm water method with blue Dawn dish soap. Blue Dawn is formulated to work in cold water (read the label) and they use it on critters that get caught in oil spills. Wipe off dishes first with paper towels and burn them on the fire. Used water into the shrubbery.
Xpe

Post by Xpe »

I've done a lot of car camping and a lot of backcountry camping, and my general advice would be that you should probably just settle for 'good enough' when it comes to getting your dishes clean. In the backcountry (if its also bear country), we don't use soap and we drink the grey water. Plastic dishes are good, I have a set that I've used for nearly a decade now. Don't have to worry about them breaking, or the weight, or creating trash.

Also, as far as food preparation and storage:
1) bear bags are better than nothing, but not by much. Bear canisters are a million times more effective at protecting your food. Bears are very good climbers, so are raccoons. You wouldn't believe how much noise a group of raccoons will make as they're pulling stuff out of your bear bag, taking a bite out of everything, then throwing it down to their friends.

2) You should cook your food 100+ yds from your camp, and store your food 100+ yds from cooksite and campsite, whenever possible and practical.

3) You probably already know this, but NO SCENTED ANYTHING in your tent. Not toothpaste, not deodorant, definitely not food. This should all be in your bear container or in your car. Animals will chew through your tent, through your pack etc, and/or you'll attract bears.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

We did pop-up camping for many years with the kids. We used a three-sink system with a little bleach in the final rinse. Part of that was because the water almost never stayed hot and we didn't want to ruin our trip by somebody getting sick. The dishpans nested and were used to store kitchen stuff in the camper.

We have a slightly larger travel trailer now. Having a kitchen, our concerns revolve more around water conservation than how and where to wash the dishes.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Xpe wrote:... we don't use soap and we drink the grey water. ...
It took a minute to get past my revulsion before I understood what this meant. Still, not very appealing, but it's efficient use of water that you often have to carry.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

For car camping, we use a ~ 10-gallon galvanized steel pail with a metal handle (I think it's a feed bucket from an ag supply store -- very wide and fairly shallow and big enough to fit our largest dish or utensil), fill it half-full with water, and set that on the fire ring while we're cooking and eating. After ~ 30 min, there is steam coming from the water. We take it off the fire and set it on the picnic table and squirt in some detergent and dump in the not-too-dirty dishes (glasses, etc.). Wash these and place them on a towel on the table. Add the dirtier stuff until you're cleaning the pots and pans at the end. We then tote the pail over to the spigot, dump the waste-water down the drain (all of our campgrounds have the food-scrap catchers on top and the birds and chipmunks get the goodies), and refill the pail with clean cold water. Back at the camp site, dunk-rinse the soapy dishes and set them on a dish drainer. Dump the rinse water. I've done this drill dozens of times and it works great; my inlaws have done it for 60 years at least. But we eat pretty good when car camping -- meal prep, wine, and all. That and the ocean are kinda the highlights...
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
Mountain Fiddle

Post by Mountain Fiddle »

Some people might find this a bit gross, but our canine companion is usually an able and willing "pre-rinse specialist" for pots, etc. when camping. Wash afterwards with a little Doc Bronner's soap.