Excel 2010 and Windows 7 -- Where to go from here?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CFM300

Excel 2010 and Windows 7 -- Where to go from here?

Post by CFM300 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:40 pm

I currently use Excel 2010 on Windows 7. I have a half-dozen workbooks that I use in my business. The workbooks are very complicated –- a mix of pivot tables, dynamic dashboards, and VBA code that do everything from scrubbing data to auto-scaling axes to printing hundreds of pdfs. The workbooks have become increasingly complicated over the years and are kludgy and crufty. I would like to rebuild my workbooks from scratch. Which platform should I use?

1. Stay with Windows 7 and Excel 2010.

Pros: I know these systems well. They’re stable and reliable.
Cons: At some point, they will no longer be updated for security.

[Edited to add the following sentence...]
Extended support is scheduled to end 1/14/2020 for Windows 7 SP1 and 10/13/2020 for Excel 2010.

I could maintain a stand-alone installation of Win 7 with Excel 2010 just to run my workbooks, and keep the computer off of the internet. That would be inconvenient, since I would have to move data between that computer and the web at the start and finish of each project. And I use these workbooks for more than 100 projects per year.

2. Move to Windows 10 and Excel 2016.

Pros: There are new features in Excel 2016 that I could take advantage of. Presumably, I’d be set for security updates for a long time.
Cons: There might be a learning curve due to changes in Excel, and I’m not looking forward to moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The latter gets some poor reviews.

3. Move to a Mac and use Excel 2011 for Mac.

Pros: I would love to abandon Windows, but haven’t because of my Excel needs.
Cons: Excel 2016 for Mac does not have a functional VBA editor. Microsoft actually recommends that applications be built in Excel for Windows and then moved to Mac for debugging.

Excel 2011 seems to have decent VBA editor, but the overall functionality and power of Excel for Mac is much less than Excel for Windows.

4. Shift to an entirely different platform -- e.g., Tableau, SAS, RapidMiner, Qlik, R…

Pros: Not sure, to be honest. I can do everything that need in Excel, so why move to something new?
Cons: Steep learning curve and hence long development time.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.
Last edited by CFM300 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doug E. Dee

Re: Excel 2010 and Windows 7 -- Where to go from here?

Post by Doug E. Dee » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:51 pm

Keep Windows 7 and upgrade to Office 2016?

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:53 pm

I moved to W10 (new computer) last fall. I reinstalled MS Office 2010 and it runs fine in Windows 10. I have no need to upgrade my Excel/Office apps. I have ported most of my simple stuff to Google Sheets.

For my volunteer work with TaxAide, I manage an inventory of about 50 laptops. We have been on W7 for a while and will stay on it again this year. I have customized our version of W7 which we reinstall on all laptops every year to clean out the mess that volunteers make and I am not eager to spend the time this year on a mass migration to W10. I have had good experience with W10 on my personal system - I just don't want to spend the time figuring out the nuances of customization in W10.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Move to the Mac.
Run Windows and Office 365 in Parallels or Bootcamp for your VBA needs.
Run Office 365 on the Mac side for everything else.
"My idea of rich is ordering the most expensive thing at Denny's"

jchef

Post by jchef » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:41 pm

At some point, they will no longer be updated for security
Be aware that it may be sooner than you think.

- Windows 7 end of support is January 2020.
- Office 2010 end of support is October 2020.
- Office 2011 for Mac end of support is October 2017 (3 months). [/list]

I'd recommend moving to something with a longer lifespan. Most people don't have a problem with the transition to Windows 10 or Office 2016. If you aren't looking to switch to a Mac, Windows 10 and Office 2016 are probably the way to go.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:08 pm

Depends a great deal on how much you have invested in your workbooks. Maybe try out whether they can be imported into another version of Excel.

Look at it this way- you have AT LEAST two years before you have to take action. Chances of extended support beyond that time are nonzero, even IF you need "support." Worst case you can airgap your Excel computer from the internet.

Post by 123 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:56 pm

You may be ahead of us. We're running Office 2007 on a couple of different Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines. Just for personal family things. Everything works fine for us. No need for us to upgrade.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:37 pm

My transition to Win 10 went very smoothly. I have Excel 2007. No issues.

If I were getting a new system I would probably stick with Windows and Excel 2016.

Ace1

Post by Ace1 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:40 pm

I have been an excel user since the 90's (Before that, Lotus123 since its creation in 1981).
Bought a new laptop with W10 and excel 2016 last December.
A huge annoyance that the brains at MS decided to implement in excel 2013 is the elimination of the ability
to have multiple workbooks open in the same instance of excel.
EVERY spreadsheet you open is in a new instance of excel, and they have no plans to go back as far as I know.
What a huge waste of resource and landscape on the screen.
What this does to formulas that reach into other books gets a bit messy.
Hopefully your huge investment in your books doesnt get adversely impacted by this "improvement".

bklyn96

Post by bklyn96 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Ace1 wrote:....A huge annoyance that the brains at MS decided to implement in excel 2013 is the elimination of the ability to have multiple workbooks open in the same instance of excel. EVERY spreadsheet you open is in a new instance of excel....
I'm running Excel 2016 and from the keyboard I can choose to have one or multiple instances of Excel open.

Have you seen this article?

Opening workbooks by running separate instances of Excel
By Excel Team, on June 3, 2013

"....Excel 2013 helps prevent accidental extra instances (or processes) of Excel running. We’ve found that extra instance introduced unexpected and sometimes confusing results (for example, pasting a range from a workbook in one instance of Excel to a workbook in a different instance of Excel works differently than if the two workbooks were running in the same instance). In the new Excel, we have built new detection logic that knows when an additional, new instance of Excel is starting up (e.g., you clicked Excel on the start menu), and merges that workbook (and new Excel instance) into the instance of Excel that’s already running.  In other words, you won’t very often see more than one Excel.exe in the Task Manager. Word has behaved this way for several releases now, and it is a much simpler model to understand.
However, we’ve built in a couple of ways for you to get a second (or third) instance of Excel running, if that’s really what you want."

https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2013/06/ ... -of-excel/

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:07 pm

Try to move to the Mac, if you don't have specific need of Windows or VBA. All Windows products come with time limits that are generally not an issue when using the Mac. (Though eventually an old machine will stop allowing OS updates, after 6-7 years or so.)

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks for all of the advice, comments, and suggestions. I'm still thinking this through, so keep 'em coming.

By the way, I absolutely need VBA, or some other scripting language with equivalent functionality.

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:13 pm

Run a VM for the old Windows and Excel. You can disable internet inside the VM, which should address most of the security issues.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:24 am

Not so long ago I was an advanced user of Excel and Tableau. Both are very versatile and work well together (Excel as datasource for Tableau). Excel is very easy to use when manipulating data. You can then use Tableau to analyze and work the data up. Tableau is extremely powerful for real-time, non-analyst dashboard analysis and generating graphic output of data. They each to things the other can't. They each have limitations..specific niche uses and there are lots of things each wasn't designed to do.

Tableau can't replace Excel..Excel can't do what Tableau does..but it makes the attempt..without much success/satisfaction.

For what you have..I'd sit down and outline what you really want the data to do and what kind of use/output you need.

Updated Excel and a personal copy of Tableau can do about anything you've described, and do it really well..you'll just have to maintain control of the complexity you're creating. Tableau also has a free-public-use version that is fully functional..with the proviso that all output is available on the web..to anyone.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:29 am

CFM300 wrote:I currently use Excel 2010 on Windows 7. I have a half-dozen workbooks that I use in my business. The workbooks are very complicated –- a mix of pivot tables, dynamic dashboards, and VBA code that do everything from scrubbing data to auto-scaling axes to printing hundreds of pdfs. The workbooks have become increasingly complicated over the years and are kludgy and crufty. I would like to rebuild my workbooks from scratch. Which platform should I use?

1. Stay with Windows 7 and Excel 2010.

Pros: I know these systems well. They’re stable and reliable.
Cons: At some point, they will no longer be updated for security.

[Edited to add the following sentence...]
Extended support is scheduled to end 1/14/2020 for Windows 7 SP1 and 10/13/2020 for Excel 2010.

I could maintain a stand-alone installation of Win 7 with Excel 2010 just to run my workbooks, and keep the computer off of the internet. That would be inconvenient, since I would have to move data between that computer and the web at the start and finish of each project. And I use these workbooks for more than 100 projects per year.

2. Move to Windows 10 and Excel 2016.

Pros: There are new features in Excel 2016 that I could take advantage of. Presumably, I’d be set for security updates for a long time.
Cons: There might be a learning curve due to changes in Excel, and I’m not looking forward to moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The latter gets some poor reviews.

3. Move to a Mac and use Excel 2011 for Mac.

Pros: I would love to abandon Windows, but haven’t because of my Excel needs.
Cons: Excel 2016 for Mac does not have a functional VBA editor. Microsoft actually recommends that applications be built in Excel for Windows and then moved to Mac for debugging.

Excel 2011 seems to have decent VBA editor, but the overall functionality and power of Excel for Mac is much less than Excel for Windows.

4. Shift to an entirely different platform -- e.g., Tableau, SAS, RapidMiner, Qlik, R…

Pros: Not sure, to be honest. I can do everything that need in Excel, so why move to something new?
Cons: Steep learning curve and hence long development time.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Experience says excel for Mac v different look and feel to excel for Windows.

I'd upgrade to excel 2016 as soon as I could and Windows 7 when I had to.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:46 am

Ran Office 2010 on Win 7, then Win 8 and now Win 10. Financial books with graphs and much data... no issues on Win changes.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:10 pm

I use Win10, I like the extra security. No issues.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:20 pm

My short review of Windows 10: It's the best Windows ever. And I've used them all since 3.1. It's more reliable and more secure than any prior version. There will be a slight learning curve, perhaps similar to going from XP to 7, but probably less than if you were to switch to Mac. As for Excel, I am using the latest version. I don't recall what 2010 looked like but it's not substantially different from any version of Excel since the ribbon interface.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:04 am

I really appreciate all of the feedback.

I'll likely buy a new laptop with Windows 10 and Excel 2016 and begin rebuilding my workbooks. If I don't like how things are going, I'll reconsider my options. Fortunately, I have plenty of time.

P.S. I don't understand the suggestions that I run Windows/Excel in a VM on a Mac. What's the advantage there? If I have to maintain Windows and Excel anyway, then I'd rather just have a stand-alone Windows/Excel computer. How is putting it inside a Mac making things easier/better? Plus, wouldn't there be a substantial performance hit?

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:49 am

Do NOT migrate to Excel Mac. I am a huge Mac fan, but this is the one app that is meaningfully better on Windows.

Excel 2016 for Mac made great strides and is fantastic for most uses; however, I would still recommend sticking with the Windows version for power users (and VBA use automatically makes you a power user).

As far as running Windows on a Mac, I would recommend dual boot/Bootcamp over running it in a VM. That way, there is no performance impact. Some people prefer Mac for everything but Excel and this would be a decent setup in that case. If you want to simplify your life and only go with one platform, just stick to Windows.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:33 am

bluebolt wrote:Do NOT migrate to Excel Mac. I am a huge Mac fan, but this is the one app that is meaningfully better on Windows.

Excel 2016 for Mac made great strides and is fantastic for most uses; however, I would still recommend sticking with the Windows version for power users (and VBA use automatically makes you a power user).

As far as running Windows on a Mac, I would recommend dual boot/Bootcamp over running it in a VM. That way, there is no performance impact. Some people prefer Mac for everything but Excel and this would be a decent setup in that case. If you want to simplify your life and only go with one platform, just stick to Windows.
This May be internet conspiracy stuff.

But I believe when Ballmer ran msft there was a clear policy to make ms office products less good running on a Mac.

I think the New CEO has moved away from that.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:34 am

tuningfork wrote:My short review of Windows 10: It's the best Windows ever. And I've used them all since 3.1. It's more reliable and more secure than any prior version.
Security is pretty important.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleClick

Post by DoubleClick » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:43 am

I strongly recommend against option 3. I burnt my fingers trying that a while ago. Functionality is drastically reduced and different in many cases. Key board shortcuts are different. Not worth the aggravation.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:42 am

CFM300 wrote:I really appreciate all of the feedback.

I'll likely buy a new laptop with Windows 10 and Excel 2016 and begin rebuilding my workbooks. If I don't like how things are going, I'll reconsider my options. Fortunately, I have plenty of time.

P.S. I don't understand the suggestions that I run Windows/Excel in a VM on a Mac. What's the advantage there? If I have to maintain Windows and Excel anyway, then I'd rather just have a stand-alone Windows/Excel computer. How is putting it inside a Mac making things easier/better? Plus, wouldn't there be a substantial performance hit?
Ignoring the question of Windows Host or Mac Host, there is some value in running a VM with office if you receive documents that were not originated by you. If the file has a virus or malware built in, the problem is isolated to the VM and doesn't risk anything in the host. I keep a VM with Office installed for just that purpose. I do my own work in the host OS (W10) but if someone sends me a file, I first open it in a VM to make sure it isn't contaminated. Same with suspicious emails.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:53 am

My 7 year old computer with Windows 7 crashed last year. It had 7 year old Office with Excel. So I bought a new Dell computer with Office 2016. All my old Excel files could be used without problems , same with Word, on the new setup.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:53 am

I vote Option 2.

I dislike Windows at a personal level but if I were a business owner I would not hesitate to stick with the latest Windows and Office platform. There's a good reason Microsoft has a lock on that market! Macs are excellent for home use but nothing beats Windows for running Office. Don't even think about Mac or Google for your Excel files.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:12 am

I just switched from Office 2000 to Office 2016 late last year. It still opens all my old files just fine. And I still save my new files using the .doc instead of .docx, etc extensions. I held off as long as I could because the ribbon interface is stupid. But it does have some new features that I wanted, such as Excel popping up with options when you start a cell with an equal sign, or Access allowing you to filter columns by merely checking/unchecking some boxes. Not to mention the fact that most people would send me .pptx files, for example, and I would e-mail back: "Please save as .ppt and resend; I can't open the file."

I had considered LibreOffice, but it has difficulty opening Microsoft Access 2000 files. It may have similar trouble with complicated Excel files. You could test it out.

So I'd go with Option 1 "stay with Windows 7 and Office 2010" until you have a compelling reason to move to Option 5 "stay with Windows 7 and move to Office 2016."

Note that I'm biased: I will not ever recommend anyone ever move to Windows 10 or Office 365. My plan for past 2020 is to find a flavor of Linux that I like and run that as my main OS, with Windows 7 on another boot partition that only has Internet access through a specific set of whitelisted ports for gaming. I figuratively keep my tinfoil hat squarely on my head.

Rondo

Post by Rondo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:31 pm

I think I have everyone beat. I switched to windows 10 about six months ago and I am running office 2000 without any problems.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:55 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:I had considered LibreOffice, but it has difficulty opening Microsoft Access 2000 files. It may have similar trouble with complicated Excel files. You could test it out.
LibreOffice has trouble with relatively simple Excel files. Can't imagine what it would do with a complicated one. I attempted to live with LibreOffice for a few years before giving up and getting Office 365.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:36 am

jebmke wrote:there is some value in running a VM with office if you receive documents that were not originated by you. If the file has a virus or malware built in, the problem is isolated to the VM and doesn't risk anything in the host. I keep a VM with Office installed for just that purpose. I do my own work in the host OS (W10) but if someone sends me a file, I first open it in a VM to make sure it isn't contaminated. Same with suspicious emails.
Thanks for that. I'll further investigate using a VM for security.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:40 am

Thanks again for all of the replies. I'm still thinking this through....

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:46 am

Have you considered moving away from Excel altogether and going to something more maintainable? I'm not a software geek but I did manage some for a period. We found that Excel is wonderful for non-programmers who want to put together a quick analysis. However, maintaining anything that is the least bit complicated becomes a burden. It is almost designed so that some of the basic design features of easy to maintain software are impossible or very difficult to implement.

The other thing I learned while managing a software group that the cost of software maintenance is many times the original cost of developing software. The maintenance cost is driven by the cost of operating system changes and the need to add new functionality.

If it's mission critical to your business and you ever hope to grow the business or sell it so that someone else needs to pick up maintenance, now would be a good time to investigate hiring someone to port it to a dedicated program. As mentioned earlier, there are dedicated data visualization packages out there that might be a better solution than Excel. I'd at least get a quote to port it. The quote should include the cost of maintenance as that will be the bulk of the iceberg. If you do this, just be careful you pick a programming language or data visualization package that will still be around 20 years from now.
Lorne

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:13 am

tractorguy wrote:Have you considered moving away from Excel altogether and going to something more maintainable? I'm not a software geek but I did manage some for a period. We found that Excel is wonderful for non-programmers who want to put together a quick analysis. However, maintaining anything that is the least bit complicated becomes a burden. It is almost designed so that some of the basic design features of easy to maintain software are impossible or very difficult to implement.

The other thing I learned while managing a software group that the cost of software maintenance is many times the original cost of developing software. The maintenance cost is driven by the cost of operating system changes and the need to add new functionality.

If it's mission critical to your business and you ever hope to grow the business or sell it so that someone else needs to pick up maintenance, now would be a good time to investigate hiring someone to port it to a dedicated program. As mentioned earlier, there are dedicated data visualization packages out there that might be a better solution than Excel. I'd at least get a quote to port it. The quote should include the cost of maintenance as that will be the bulk of the iceberg. If you do this, just be careful you pick a programming language or data visualization package that will still be around 20 years from now.
I bet Excel will be around for longer than many computer languages. Even if you port to plain old C code it will still require maintenance since the underlying OS is always shifting.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:59 pm

I like the idea of moving to a new platform. Microsoft has had a history of forcing change on its developers from time to time. VBA is horribly old, considered dead and unsupported and is not consistent with the .NET platform. However there is a lot of existing Excel apps around that depend on it.

Here is a discussion of this issue: (Note: from 2009)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/441 ... office-vba

Running on my home Linux box there are some software apps that I wrote in Perl over 20 years ago. Unchanged. Well one of them had to be modified in 2000 to fix a Y2K date bug.

However I wouldn't do it until MS made me do it.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:26 am

sunny_socal wrote:
tractorguy wrote:Have you considered moving away from Excel altogether and going to something more maintainable? I'm not a software geek but I did manage some for a period. We found that Excel is wonderful for non-programmers who want to put together a quick analysis. However, maintaining anything that is the least bit complicated becomes a burden. It is almost designed so that some of the basic design features of easy to maintain software are impossible or very difficult to implement.

I bet Excel will be around for longer than many computer languages. Even if you port to plain old C code it will still require maintenance since the underlying OS is always shifting.
It Will be around. Way too much stuff Written in it.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:30 am

Office 365 Home for $99/year is the way to stay current. $69.99 for 1 PC/Mac.

https://products.office.com/en-us/office-365-home

5 PCs or Macs, Mobile apps, 1 TB OneDrive storage, 1 month free trial.

If you only have 3 PCs/Microsoft accounts, share with both sets of parents (or kids, or XYZ). That is what we do. They just need a Microsoft account.

Now both sets are always current. :wink:
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:13 am

Excel is perfect for my needs, actually. What I do is a mix of aggregating, scrubbing, analyzing, and visualizing. When all of that is done, I need to produce literally hundreds of pages of reports (per client) in pdf format. Excel handles all of that, and with VBA I've been able to automate the entire process. Even if some other application could allow me to do all of that, the learning curve would be steep.

At this point, I think I'm going to test drive my workbooks on a high-powered Windows 10 / Excel 2016 system. If I like what I see, then I'll probably go ahead and begin rebuilding everything from scratch on that platform.

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:04 pm

bloom2708 wrote:Office 365 Home for $99/year is the way to stay current. $69.99 for 1 PC/Mac.

I am still running an old version of MS Office. When I eventually decide to get a new version of the Office (Word, PPT, Excel), is a subscription the only option? I don't like recurring expenses and prefer to purchase my own software.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:21 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:Office 365 Home for $99/year is the way to stay current. $69.99 for 1 PC/Mac.

I am still running an old version of MS Office. When I eventually decide to get a new version of the Office (Word, PPT, Excel), is a subscription the only option? I don't like recurring expenses and prefer to purchase my own software.

Victoria
I kind of feel the same way. If you go to this Amazon link it will show you a table with what you get for various choices: https://smile.amazon.com/Microsoft-Offi ... windows+10

One of those choices is a license for 1 PC for $125.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:24 pm

VictoriaF wrote:When I eventually decide to get a new version of the Office (Word, PPT, Excel), is a subscription the only option?
You can still buy non-subscription versions. You have to dig a bit on the MS site to find them, because they're pushing Office 365 subscriptions hard.

Office:
https://products.office.com/en-us/professional

Excel:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d ... q7ttc0k5f3