Luggage recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
misterno

Luggage recommendation

Post by misterno »

I need a checked baggage (not carry on). I do not need a set I just need 1 large luggage possibly 30" size

So after googling like crazy I found this to be the best and cheapest. For $86 delivered and Samsonite and only 9lbs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsonite-Bartl ... rmvSB=true

I did not check Costco store yet so that is another option.

Wherever you look or read, it seems like Samsonite is like the BMW of luggages but I dont care about brand name. I might be mistaken but Samsonite has 10 year warranty but can we trust it? Is it really guaranteeing the quality?

Are there any other options better deals out there?
lthenderson

Re: Luggage recommendation

Post by lthenderson »

There are much better deals out there if you aren't interested in rolling bags with handles. I regularly take luggage overseas one way. (I.e. full of gifts and not needed coming home.) I just buy hard sided suitcases for less than a dollar at local estate auctions. The plus is that I can generally spot them from clear across the baggage check area since they aren't black, rolling bags with handles which 95% of the other people have.
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

if you are on a budget, visit a nearby Ross store, they have several 30 inch spinners for $50-60 range. it-luggage and sharper image brand luggage have lasted well for me and are light weight (7-8 lbs). i got one each and they have survived 2 round trips to india and still intact.

p.s. Yes Samsonites are very good quality. Ross sell those as well, but for around $90+ range. IMO there is a noticable quality difference between them and cheaper brands.
costco sells kirkland signature and another brand. i personally prefer the cheaper Ross ones over them.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Costco. If it does not work well or breaks down early you can return it for a full refund.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

If you are only using it once (or once a year) anything will do.
If you are using more often - then you want something rugged.
Samsonite is not the BMW - Briggs&Riley and Tumi are. Samsonite is a solid make but with Samsonite they have a number of different lines which are cheap to good to great in quality so make sure if you compare a 30" Samsonite in one place - to one in another - you are comparing apples to apples (look at the model-names). Samsonite has outlet stores throughout the US if you are near outlet malls you might find one to go check out the different lines to see what suits you.

TravelPro is the brand I like (Its what the flight attendants and pilots use) but I travel often.
Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno »

jabberwockOG wrote:Costco. If it does not work well or breaks down early you can return it for a full refund.
just came from costco in Houston and they do not have single 30" luggage

instead they have 21" and 27" bundle for 129.99+tax so it is more than $140

I will visit Marshalls and Ross just to see what they have

https://i.hizliresim.com/nWWAkg.jpg

So currently the best I could find so far is the below for $86 (incl. tax+shipping) with 10 year warranty 30" spinner

Samsonite Bartlett Spinner - Luggage

• Four, multi-directional spinner wheels for easy mobility.
• Fully featured interior includes mesh and show pockets for increased organizations.
• Retractable top carry handle for ease when lifting a full case.
• Rubberized corner protectors guard against wear and tear at critical contact points.
• Case expands 2" for adding packing capacity.
• 1680D Polyester.
• 10 year warranty.
• Carry-On size and weight allowances vary by airlines. Go to shop.samsonite.com/airline-carry-on-guide for more details. If the bag is overstuffed, it may not be accepted by the airlines.
• Weight: 14.8 lbs.
Last edited by misterno on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno »

walletless wrote:if you are on a budget, visit a nearby Ross store, they have several 30 inch spinners for $50-60 range. it-luggage and sharper image brand luggage have lasted well for me and are light weight (7-8 lbs). i got one each and they have survived 2 round trips to india and still intact.

p.s. Yes Samsonites are very good quality. Ross sell those as well, but for around $90+ range. IMO there is a noticable quality difference between them and cheaper brands.
costco sells kirkland signature and another brand. i personally prefer the cheaper Ross ones over them.

Just came from Costco and I did not see Kirkland brand luggage out there
MutualEdge

Post by MutualEdge »

Another vote for Samsonite bought from wherever you can get the best deal. The handle of my carry-on broke after several years and I took it to a company store to ask for it to be warrantied. The manager was happy to help and I had a brand new suitcase delivered to my door within 2-3 weeks. Of course, if that one breaks, I'll do the same thing again. Warranty info: https://shop.samsonite.com/Warranty.html.
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

misterno wrote:I will visit Marshalls and Ross just to see what they have
Yes, I recommend visiting Ross at least. Not sure what Marshalls has, but in my experience Marshalls generally tends to be a bit more expensive than Ross.
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

misterno wrote: Just came from Costco and I did not see Kirkland brand luggage out there
Must be out of stock. They look like these, and were $99.99 when I visited them few weeks ago: http://costcocouple.com/kirkland-signat ... e-spinner/
Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno »

walletless wrote:
misterno wrote: Just came from Costco and I did not see Kirkland brand luggage out there
Must be out of stock. They look like these, and were $99.99 when I visited them few weeks ago: http://costcocouple.com/kirkland-signat ... e-spinner/
Oh those yes I saw them. Sorry I forgot to mention that I am looking for soft side not hardsided

There are too many complaints about hardsided luggages. If you do not fill them 100% full and the airport luggage guys stack several luggages on it, then you will have cracks on the luggage
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

Sounds like a good deal to me given the light weight. With airlines imposing surcharges on overweight bags, it may save money in the long run.
Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno »

Just came from Marshalls

29" samsonite is 99+tax

I can not tell the difference between this one and the one on ebay but they both have 10 yr warranty

I am buying the ebay one for 86 dollar delivered to home

thanks everyone
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

misterno wrote:I need a checked baggage (not carry on). I do not need a set I just need 1 large luggage possibly 30" size

So after googling like crazy I found this to be the best and cheapest. For $86 delivered and Samsonite and only 9lbs
I see you just ordered the 30" luggage from the ebay listing you posted. I see 29" luggage for $79.99, and not 30". Is this what you ordered? Also, be aware that the 20" case weighs 9lb, not the 29" (30"?) that you ordered. The case you ordered weighs about 15lbs.
Niemanterry

Post by Niemanterry »

I use the delsey helium shadows. Lightest 30 inch- 11 lbs.
I order thru luggagefactory.com
Best price, no sales tax and delivery about 2 days.
canderson

Post by canderson »

I strongly advise against a 30" suitcase as keeping it under the weight threshold is virtually impossible.

I can travel 10 days in my eBags weekender backpack. I'd advise you to look for something 24-25" if you must go above carry-on size.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Just recently bought a 30 inch Travelpro spinner. Seems to be very good quality compared with other options at a reasonable (not Tumi/etc.) price. We only travel for vacation and did not want to spend a lot of money on the more expensive brands.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I disagree that 30" is too large, although I have a 29" and yes you have to watch the weight. As for travel, I need as much space as I can get. I have a computer, drugs, documents, etc. in my backpack, a 22" rollaboard almost completely filled with photo equipment, then a tripod in the 29" (barely fits diagonally.) So there really isn't much room for clothes, especially when you travel to cold climates, need both shoes and hiking boots, etc. I don't understand these people traveling for weeks with just a backpack.

In the '90s I bought Samsonite and American Tourister from outlet stores and the service on the warranties was amazing. Now as far as I know factory stores don't get involved in service at all. I've had a Delsey rollaboard for years and recently the wheels wore off (tires separated from wheels) but I was able to replace them for $10-ish with ebay parts. The bag is in very good shape. More recently I bought the 29" American Tourister from Amazon, but it's not up to the old standards, and more importantly the zipper pulls attach to the zippers with square loops, a design flaw that results in them being broken off (and sometimes breaking the zippers in the process.) I've patched some seams on it with Shoe Goo so it's limping along with the remaining zipper pulls. I wrote to the manufacturer to complain about the pulls and ... nothing. Years ago I got free replacement parts from Delsey, but wrote to them more recently and... no useful reply. So I think most talk about past service experience should be treated as ... in the past, absent evidence to the contrary.
Last edited by tibbitts on Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

it-luggage & Sharper image bags sold at Ross are very light weight. My it-luggage 29" bag weighs 8 lbs, whereas the Sharper Image 30" one weight somewhere between 9 & 10 lbs.
Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno »

neilpilot wrote:
misterno wrote:I need a checked baggage (not carry on). I do not need a set I just need 1 large luggage possibly 30" size

I see you just ordered the 30" luggage from the ebay listing you posted. I see 29" luggage for $79.99, and not 30". Is this what you ordered? Also, be aware that the 20" case weighs 9lb, not the 29" (30"?) that you ordered. The case you ordered weighs about 15lbs.
Sorry I forgot to update

Luggage is 29" not 30"

Yes the luggage I bought weighs 15lbs but all samsonite with that size weighs the same. It can not be big and light and cheap something gotta give
Topic Author
misterno

Post by misterno »

Niemanterry wrote:I use the delsey helium shadows. Lightest 30 inch- 11 lbs.
I order thru luggagefactory.com
Best price, no sales tax and delivery about 2 days.
You realize these are hardshell which means they will break if you don't fill them 100% and they stack it with other luggages in the airport

I just read complaints in other sites about hardshell that's all
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

I just love the Eagle Creek Tarmac suitcases. So well designed, and there are three sizes. The biggest is huge, the smallest great for short trips or carry on bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Tarm ... B00G36689C
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

peterinjapan wrote:I just love the Eagle Creek Tarmac suitcases. So well designed, and there are three sizes. The biggest is huge, the smallest great for short trips or carry on bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Tarm ... B00G36689C
I'll echo this - Eagle Creek makes fabulous products - my wife and I own a Traverse Pro 22 (sadly no longer made), a Switchback 22, and a laptop bag. My wife uses the detachable backpack from the Traverse daily for 2 years and loves it. I've used the laptop bag daily for the last 8 years and love it. They have great reviews everywhere I've seen them reviewed, and a lifetime warranty on most (all?) products, as well as a no-matter-what warranty on many lines (read about it on their website as to why it's so great). I had a good experience sending in the laptop bag for a stitching repair on some velcro. You'll pay more than a Sampsonite for sure, but if you look around you can sometimes find the old model at some great prices (I did this with both of our suitcases - substantial savings). It may not be quite a lifetime purchase (especially since many budget & international airlines have shrunk their carry-on sizes - we may need to get a new set now for travel internationally), but we're very happy.
Detroittl

Post by Detroittl »

After a lot of research and trying different brands over the years. Travelpro seems to last the longest and is best value. You'll notice most flight crews use it too. (Maybe they get a good deal from travelpro?)
Watty

Post by Watty »

misterno wrote:Are there any other options better deals out there?
Goodwill or some other thrift store is a great option for large luggage.

You do need to check it to make sure that all the latches work but unless you are going to be traveling a lot you should be able to find something that is a good brand and in very good condition.
SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha »

Detroittl wrote:After a lot of research and trying different brands over the years. Travelpro seems to last the longest and is best value. You'll notice most flight crews use it too. (Maybe they get a good deal from travelpro?)
Some of the airlines offer them to flight crews as company-issue. I've talked to several flight crew who are unhappy with the quality of the newer TravelPro bags though and are swapping them out for Luggage Works bags.

We replaced our 20-year old falling apart luggage earlier this year when the airlines killed one of our soft sides. We went with Briggs and Riley when they were running their Transcend collection at 20% off to make room for the re-designed style. Wasn't cheap, but they have a lifetime warranty and we have a Briggs & Riley dealer just down the street where we can take them for warranty service. Between eBags and the USAA shopping portal, we also netted over $150 in cash back/eBags credit.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Another + for Eagle Creek. I have a soft-sided bag with only two wheels and a zip-off day pack. It has to be 20+ years old, and I've been "going to get a new one" for at least the past seven years. That's when I had to replace the wheels - which they supplied without cost, a genuine freebie. It looks its age which I consider a plus . . .

So, when I actually do shop for a new one this is my first stop.

Vic
Daisy Dog

Post by Daisy Dog »

Travel Pro. I have bought many many suitcases over the past few years - largely because family members and college traveling grandchildren "borrow" them and they somehow don't get returned. I buy my Travel Pros at T.J. Max, or Marshalls - stores like that. Under $100. And 30" is huge. The most versatile is the 24 - 26" which holds much more than it looks. Then my favorite is my Travel Pro carryon. It also holds a ton. (Not that I could ever travel anywhere with just a carry on...ho ho.)

Daisy Dog
midareff

Post by midareff »

Have had great results with a variety of bags... retired and we travel frequently ebags.com
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I usually buy Samsonite at Marshalls or TJ Maxx or Costco.

I bought a set by Ricardo at Costco and that has been good. I had another Ricardo suitcase and the wheel came off on its first trip. Needless to say it was a pain as it was the beginning of the trip. Some of those cobblestone sidewalks/roads in Europe are pretty rough on luggage.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

canderson wrote:I strongly advise against a 30" suitcase as keeping it under the weight threshold is virtually impossible.

I can travel 10 days in my eBags weekender backpack. I'd advise you to look for something 24-25" if you must go above carry-on size.
+1

I have a 25" that expands. It is more flexible than a huge bag like a 30".
Watty

Post by Watty »

A couple of other things;

Even if it is expensive, finding one that doesn't look expensive may make it less of a target for theft.

You may want to get an unusual color. This will make it easier to find your suitcase on the airport luggage carousel and less likely that someone else will take it by accident. It will also make it easier to see if someone take it and starts going away through a crowd.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

misterno wrote:Are there any other options better deals out there?
Depends on your priorities for a "deal". It seems like cost is your biggest concern and that sounds like a good fit for you. Some of us, though, need/want durable luggage with a lifetime warranty despite the price premium and for that route the usual suspects have been mentioned above, e.g. Eagle Creek, Travelpro, Briggs & Riley, etc though you do have be careful with some brands as lifetime may be offered only on specific lines/products.

We have used the warranty on one of our Eagle Creek bags but it had been around the world and across the country many times and it was well over 10 years old when it needed service.
misterno wrote:Wherever you look or read, it seems like Samsonite is like the BMW of luggages but I dont care about brand name.
Not sure where you're reading that but I'd +1 the comment above that they're definitely not the BMW (and BMW isn't the ideal of cars for everyone anyway) of luggage but you don't seem to be shopping in the BMW range anyway. Nothing wrong with that. If you don't have the budget and don't travel much it may not make sense to pay the premium. You're looking at aorund $300 or more, if not much more (easily around $600 for Briggs & Riley, for example), if you want upper end build quality and warranty with luggage unless you're very lucky and happen to run across an exceptional steal.
canderson wrote:I strongly advise against a 30" suitcase as keeping it under the weight threshold is virtually impossible.
I wouldn't say impossible but the OP should keep in mind that is is very easy to end up with overweight large luggage when considering size and it may make more sense to get 2 smaller pieces depending on specific needs.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

I just got back from two weeks in Europe and lugged around a 30 inch suitcase. I wish I would have gotten a size smaller. Completely filled it was overweight and we had to move things to other luggage to avoid airline fees.
ulvazell

Post by ulvazell »

Several years ago we purchased a pair of wheeled carry-on bags made by Delsey from TJ Maxx. They have held up really well and were inexpensive...
badger42

Post by badger42 »

I'll +1/2/3 staying away from the 30", it's just too big in the era of 50lb weight limits. It's easy enough to end up overweight with a 26" bag, which should be big enough for just about anything (if you need more stuff than that, you're either packing for four or you're not packing properly, possibly both)

Also, I would advise staying away from spinners if you' need to be flexible on terrain. Those little wheels aren't too durable on rough stuff (e.g. cobblestone), and they are much more of a pain than standard two-wheel cases on uneven sidewalks, getting up and down curbs, etc. They also give you less interior space for volume of luggage than a two-wheeler, and the "sticking-out" wheels are easier to damage.
ny_knicks

Post by ny_knicks »

How often are you traveling? Once...go buy the cheapest bag at ebags, luggagepros or amazon.

But if you're planning on traveling often or want something that will last for more than a few trips...I'd say spring the extra $100 and get something decent. I have had great experience w/ Travelpro. Have both the Travelpro Platinum Magna 2 and TravelPro Crew luggage. Both Can be found for under $200 on sale in many sizes. Will last forever and competes w/ Briggs & Riley and Tumi in my opinion.

I'd get a carry-on in the 20"-22" range (towards the lower end for international) and something in the 24"-26" range for checked.
ryoung

Post by ryoung »

Since nobody has mentioned it, I really like Briggs & Riley. Great warranty. They are higher priced, and maybe that is why nobody has mentioned them. If you are going to use it often and value the quality over the price, consider it.