What do you splurge on?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Kababayan

What do you splurge on?

Post by Kababayan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:40 pm

A few years back my wife and I thought felt that we were spending too much money on frivolous items and not spending money buying things that we used more often. Our realization came as I was trying to find cheap work shoes after spending a hundred dollars on something else (I don't even remember what it was). We thought it was silly that I was trying to cheap-out on something that I wear all day-every day, but we didn't think twice about spending money on impulse buys that we would forget about in a short period of time. That's when began to spend our money on things that would make our everyday lives better. I don't mean finding deals, but spending a bit more money on for quality. I figured that there are some people at the forum here who do the same thing and it got me wondering about what's important to all of you to spend your money on. Below is a short list of things that my wife and I splurge for:

1. We roast our own coffee beans (which is embarrassingly easy and is so much better than store-bought coffee)
2. Work shoes (I'm standing all day)
3. We buy the "expensive" paper towels (we have a newborn)
4. We go out to eat less, but look for a better food experience when we do go out

If you don't mind saying, what is it that you don't mind spending a bit more money for? Thanks in advance.

livesoft

Re: What do you splurge on?

Post by livesoft » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:44 pm

We eat out all the time and ask for dishes not on the menu prepared the way we like it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

lowndes

Post by lowndes » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:45 pm

We splurge on vacations as with little children spending a little extra really makes the experience better for everybody. I also love to heli ski which is certainly a splurge. Finally, I'd agree I buy nice shoes as they last forever (just get them resoled) along with bespoke suits as again I need fewer of them and they last a long time (I also like to support the individuals in that industry).

happysteward

Post by happysteward » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Dunkin Donuts cold brew !
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more." | "He who loves money will not be satisfied with money..." Ecclesiastes 5:10

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Highest quality sports equipment and shoes, hiking and casual shoes, REI gear and jackets, racquets, optics, cars, personal computing and phones, nutritious high quality food.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:51 pm

Optics. I don't go cheap on glasses, binoculars or spotting scope. I had my eyes replaced so the glasses problem is solved.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:53 pm

My Mooney. I spend about 10% of my income on my airplane. If we flew only on the airlines, we would typically spend a bit less on each trip than what it cost me to operate my own plane. Or be forced to spend an extra 1-2 days driving to a destination.

In some cases, we would not take a trip or limit the stopovers (i'e. combine multiple destinations) if we were stuck with the airlines.

This way I can keep my shoes on, and my luggage always arrives with me. :D

sambb

Post by sambb » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:56 pm

I like nice european cars, often sports cars - german or italian.
I also like business class tickets when flying over an ocean from the US.
I like the latest electronic items - laptops, tablets, phones.
I dont mind spending on those.

I dont really want a 10 year old camry, or to sit in economy on a trip to Asia, or a 5 year old laptop.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:03 pm

-Groceries (including wine & beer). We spend $800-$1000/month for 2 adults, which is pretty crazy. Then again, we eat out less than once a month.

-Vacations. We always take at least one overseas trip per year.

-Musical events

-Wardrobe

-Vinyl
Tweaked 3-Fund: 35% US Equities | 35% Total International | 30% Intermediate Treasuries

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:07 pm

watchnerd wrote:-Groceries (including wine & beer). We spend $800-$1000/month for 2 adults, which is pretty crazy. Then again, we eat out less than once a month.

-Musical events

-Wardrobe

-Vinyl
Not watches?

effillus

Post by effillus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:08 pm

Single malt scotch. Springbank 10yo is pretty good stuff. So is Highland Park 12yo.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:10 pm

watchnerd wrote:-Vinyl
As in siding?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Rolex watches and Cuban cigars (investment purposes only).

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:15 pm

Too many to list, but:

Cable TV, Netflix, etc
Restaurants (DW loves to dine out)
Groceries (I love red meat)
A/V equipment (fortunately in a long pause at the moment)
Cell phones (DW & DS "must" have a very recent generation)
DS (starting 3rd year of college--"should" require more financial participation from him)
Coffee
Red wine & (mostly craft) beer
Live music performances
Travel
Cars (by BH standards)

None are really "overboard" but all are more than "necessary."

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:17 pm

Pajamas wrote:
watchnerd wrote:-Groceries (including wine & beer). We spend $800-$1000/month for 2 adults, which is pretty crazy. Then again, we eat out less than once a month.

-Musical events

-Wardrobe

-Vinyl
Not watches?
My watch collection is sprawling enough now that I have a "one in / one out" policy and I can't bear to let any of my faves go...
Tweaked 3-Fund: 35% US Equities | 35% Total International | 30% Intermediate Treasuries

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:19 pm

jebmke wrote:
As in siding?
Upholstery

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:29 pm

jebmke wrote:
As in siding?
As in records I presume. Vinyl siding and the word splurge don't belong in the same sentence :confused

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:31 pm

jharkin wrote:
jebmke wrote:
As in siding?
As in records I presume. Vinyl siding and the word splurge don't belong in the same sentence :confused
Vinyl and the word splurge don't belong in the same sentence

awval999

Post by awval999 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:35 pm

Travel.

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:36 pm

Flying - Currently working on my glider rating so that when the engine fails on a single engine airplane, I'll be able to channel my inner "Sully"!

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Restaurants... like others we eat out infrequently (1-2x a month) but when we do we basically never go to chains.

Groceries... we buy lots of farm stand produce and a fair amount of organic.

Construction materials... we are restoring an 18th century antique so a lot of supplies come from specialty restoration suppliers and when it comes to paint, etc I stick with better brands like BM aura or SW.. Sometimes we get Farrow and Ball colors custom mixed in BM , farrow itself is very spendy

Tools. Been burned too many times on cheap brands so buy mid/high end now (DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, Ingersoll, etc)

Cookware... same story with cheap pans wearing out so now we splurge on AllClad, Wustof etc.

My wife should own stock in Merrell and Coach ...

I have some niche hobbies (R/C airplanes and vintage HiFi) and I buy high end gear. The brands would not be recognizable to somebody not in the hobby..

Travel... we stay in nicer hotels and I'll spend more for direct flights and premium economy on international.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:16 pm

jharkin wrote:
jebmke wrote:
As in siding?
Yes, LPs.

Which have inadvertently turned into an asset due to appreciation of collectible versions, but I don't count it in my asset allocation. I buy them to listen to them. It's only coincidental that my listening tastes coincide with collectibility.

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Always buying more shares of VTI even at these prices and never selling.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:35 pm

Travel.

A new car every 15 years.

That's about it.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:39 pm

When I was still working -- and saving -- I would splurge occasionally on a bottle of Martinelli's apple juice. Yum.
Now that I am retired and know I have more than enough money to support my modest life style, I am taking more trips. When I travel on my own I stay in budget motels but don't stress if I have to pay more than my target. (That happened recently when I found myself on the road with no reservations on Memorial Day weekend.) When I go on long flights, I pay to upgrade to premium economy. I just got back from a trip to Peru. The agency that handled the program for Road Scholar managed to get me First and Business class on the outbound portion for a relatively small fee. I could get used to that. As time goes on I may find myself springing for the cushy seats.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Entering "splurge" in that Search box at the top of the Bogleheads page shows multiple previous threads on this subject, so you may find the following to be interesting:

https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... &q=splurge

And this thread called "That Extravagant Thing You Do":

viewtopic.php?t=36702

sfchris

Post by sfchris » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:44 pm

High quality sporting event tickets. I used to spend similarly on live music. Saw the Stones, third row center. :D Still enjoying that one, to this day.

Post by 123 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:12 pm

Two Wall Street Journal print subscriptions (but always at some discounted deals). Both spouse prefer the print edition. One spouse folds and crinkles the paper so severely that it is unreadable by the other spouse. The crinkler also reads their copy in a non-linear fashion so "sharing" before the paper is less then a week old isn't possible. Two copies allow marital harmony.

We also have multiple TVs with cable boxes. One person is a channel surfer and will even fast forward On-Demand and Netflix so its not comprehensible to the other. We could be "watching" the same program on different TVs. One person watch the linear version and the other watches some "confetti" version.
Last edited by 123 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:16 pm

A true Boglehead splurge would be an actively managed, font-loaded fee mutual fund with an ER >1.0%.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:32 pm

123 wrote:Two Wall Street Journal print subscriptions (but always at some discounted deals). Both spouse prefer the print edition. One spouse folds and crinkles the paper so severely that it is unreadable by the other spouse. The crinkler also reads their copy in a non-linear fashion so "sharing" before the paper is less then a week old isn't possible. Two copies allow marital harmony.

We also have multiple TVs with cable boxes. One person is a channel surfer and will even fast forward On-Demand and Netflix so its not comprehensible to the other. We could be "watching" the same program on different TVs. One person watch the linear version and the other watches some "confetti" version.
LOL!

But, gosh, does that ring a bell! I recall a similar set of differences over the local Sunday paper years ago. We finally established a truce and an agreement that the folder and crinkler got each section second but dictated the order that the sections would be read by the other party and also had "dibs" on each section as long as they wanted from that point.
:sharebeer

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Set of Wusthof kitchen knives, nice Swiss made automatic watch, brand new car, season tickets for men's bball and football at my alma mater, gym membership, good bourbon for Old Fashions, craft beer and a Sonicare toothbrush.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Honestly, nothing.

I guess if there was something, it would be our house. Though right around a 250K purchase price, it is bigger than we need and feels like a splurge.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:27 pm

Travel is the biggest. It creates memories that you can revisit anytime, anyplace. I also think it expands your understanding of humanity and the world. A life without travel is a life less lived.
Good wine. You know the old saying about life's too short to drink bad wine.
Almost anything for the dogs, including good boarding when we travel.
Special meals like Birthdays.

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:34 pm

tools and travel. Go cheap on either and the results usually aren't impressive.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:44 pm

I get a full body massage once every 2-3 weeks. My wife's splurge is the cleaning lady who comes twice a month. She does a fantastic job!
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:12 pm

I splurge on budget global travel - pardon the oxymoron.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:54 pm

I splurge on whatever I want as long as I can meet my saving goal.

ecotone

Post by ecotone » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:01 pm

Wine. Wine. Wine.

In fact, I was spending so much money on wine that I had neglected feeding my retirement accounts properly. I was recently able to sell a bunch of my wine (for a tidy profit) which I've used to turbocharge my financial situation. Still my biggest financial drain, but I've dialed it back considerably.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:19 pm

harrychan wrote:I get a full body massage once every 2-3 weeks. My wife's splurge is the cleaning lady who comes twice a month. She does a fantastic job!
Does the cleaning lady not clean your part of the house?

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Bogleheads:

I don't really "splurge." I buy what I want.

Fortunately my "wants" are few and mostly inexpensive. I am a lucky man.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

keaton

Post by keaton » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:37 pm

My wife & family...

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:48 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
harrychan wrote:I get a full body massage once every 2-3 weeks. My wife's splurge is the cleaning lady who comes twice a month. She does a fantastic job!
Does the cleaning lady not clean your part of the house?
Why can't the cleaning lady also do the massage? On either side of the house.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:37 pm

DW did not know my used table tennis blade from eBay was about $200 since I stashed some of my sales money in PayPal, not tracked in our Quicken. :mrgreen:

The good news is the blade came with rubber on both sides. What a bargain! :moneybag

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Cable television services - DVR service, premium channels, high speed internet service. I'm retired and watch more TV than the typical person.
Good booze
Fresh foods
Highly rated tires
Brands that I like rather than the cheapest
Deluxe car washes

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Tools.

I hate the feeling of most cheap tools. I hate even worse when a tool breaks. And I hate even worse struggling to get a tool to do what it's supposed to do right. I also would be quite happy to still be using the same tools 40 years from now.

I don't have much brand loyalty either. If I have the opportunity to try a couple brands before buying (I have access to quite a few tools at work, and sometimes borrow from friends), that's far more important to me than what color it is. I think my Dewalt miter saw is great, but the Makita circular saw is clearly superior to Dewalt's circular saw, and likewise for jigsaws, the higher end Bosch completely blows away the Dewalt.

As a result, I have almost a full rainbow (Bosch's color has violet undertones, right?). If I ever end up needing a reciprocating saw (almost broke down last weekend relocating some studs, but managed to make do), there's a good chance I'll finish off the spectrum, based on Milwaukee's reputation for that product.

I'm not sure it's really splurging though. I don't just automatically buy the absolute best. I try to figure out what's going to perform how I expect, and last as long as I need it.

This mentality extends to kitchen tools. I try to help my wife with the cooking as much as possible, and she has a similar view about the difference between cost and value.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:15 pm

MacBook Pro every three years. Old one covers about 50% of the cost.

growingsavings

Post by growingsavings » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:42 pm

Clothing: I used to buy cheap clothing from Kohl's but it never lasted. I started buying higher quality stuff and probably saved money doing so.
Socks: There is a big difference in comfort. Once you move on to the higher quality gym socks, you never turn back.
Food: I hardly ever eat at restaurants but I cook using quality ingredients many days.
Alcohol: Got to drink the higher quality stuff to avoid a hangover.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:57 am

watchnerd wrote:
jebmke wrote:
As in siding?
Upholstery
What, no bonded leather?
SrGrumpy wrote:Why can't the cleaning lady also do the massage? On either side of the house.
Divorce is a portfolio killer.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:47 am

I try to take at least two dive trips a year. It's one of my favorite things in life and I'm not going to be young (ish) forever. I haven't done an extravagant trip yet (Galapagos and the Great Barrier Reef are on my bucket list) but I go to the Keys a lot - they're within driving distance of me.

A few years ago I decided to make that a semi-priority and stop missing stuff because of my worrying about money. I have no regrets about any of the trips.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:28 am

MrNewEngland wrote:I try to take at least two dive trips a year. It's one of my favorite things in life and I'm not going to be young (ish) forever. I haven't done an extravagant trip yet (Galapagos and the Great Barrier Reef are on my bucket list) but I go to the Keys a lot - they're within driving distance of me.

A few years ago I decided to make that a semi-priority and stop missing stuff because of my worrying about money. I have no regrets about any of the trips.
I'm not a diver, and have no particular desire to become a diver. EXCEPT, when swimming with Galápagos sea lions some years ago, I sure wish that I could have romped more with them. Charming and playful creatures.