What do you splurge on?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TravelforFun

Re: What do you splurge on?

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Travel with family and friends. I like to buy experience and not things.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Harley Davidson parts and tools and trips on the HD.

A new tool-chest is on the list for Black Friday this year.

jayjayc

Post by jayjayc » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:36 pm

Kitchen knives for me also.

I've used Cutco, Henckels, Wustof, Victorinox, Global, and Shun. There was always something about them that left me unsatisfied with their performance. So I sold most of them and moved onto handmade Japanese knives. I finally found one that exceeded my expectations and I plan to keep it for life, but it was definitely a splurge for me.

athan

Post by athan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Comfortable furniture. We are moving and just picked out a leather sectional from Elran. Over $6,000, but worth it.

Rondo

Post by Rondo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:37 pm

2017 Corvette Grand Sport convertible.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:41 pm

Rondo wrote:2017 Corvette Grand Sport convertible.
That is a true splurge by any measure.

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:39 am

Good garden tools. I like Felco pruners and lopping tools and Silky saws.

mancich

Post by mancich » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:38 am

magazinewriter wrote:Good garden tools. I like Felco pruners and lopping tools and Silky saws.
+1 Good quality tools make yard work a lot easier and more enjoyable.

spitty

Post by spitty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:38 am

John Deere 997 ZTR mower
Stihl saws, weedeater, & blower
Sworks/Dura Ace Di2
Wilson Combat pistols
Surefire flashlights
Porsche

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:49 am

spitty wrote:Wilson Combat pistols
There are no pistols in combat. Pistols are a police weapon not a combat weapon.
Rondo wrote:2017 Corvette Grand Sport convertible.
Last night the Baseball All Star Game MVP won one of those.

spitty

Post by spitty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:59 am

There are no pistols in combat. Pistols are a police weapon not a combat weapon.
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/

Also have an Ed Brown which is a little cheaper if you prefer...
Last edited by spitty on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:06 am

spitty wrote:
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/
That's marketing not real life.

lomarica01

Post by lomarica01 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:09 am

Home theater/stereo equipment I get a bluray from netflix once a week, soon to be two a week when fall starts, and have a great movie night.

I have a projector I put out on my coffee table with a 100inch drop down screen all for about $2500. The sound and picture quality are great. In fact the last few times I have been in a movie theater the picture was not that great.

Even though quality components likes amplifiers/speakers last a very long time, my amp is 20 years old, I also looking forward to upgrading this year or next.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:36 am

lomarica01 wrote:I get a bluray from netflix once a week,
I didn't know they still did that.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:00 pm

I'll be splurging on a new roof, because my insurance company says so.

MJW

Post by MJW » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Good Scotch and some other whiskies.

I chuckled when I saw someone mention high quality sheets, as my spouse and I started doing the same and there is no going back.

We've begun to splurge a little more to stay in nice(r) places when we travel, mainly because it we can afford to and it's worth it to us to sleep and relax comfortably.

Will begin to splurge more on future furniture/home amenity purchases, as some of our cost-saving shortcuts have been regrettable.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:29 pm

Here is my splurge. On a vacation in Switzerland, on a whim I decided to go sky diving (from over 15,000 feet) over Eiger Mountain (Jungfrau). With video and everything it is almost $1,000. But that is once in a lifetime - survive or not :D :D

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Theseus wrote:Here is my splurge. On a vacation in Switzerland, on a whim I decided to go sky diving (from over 15,000 feet) over Eiger Mountain (Jungfrau). With video and everything it is almost $1,000. But that is once in a lifetime - survive or not :D :D
15k feet sounds impressive, but Eiger summit is around 13k. About high high was your jump above the ground?

41Fin

Post by 41Fin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:49 pm

I splurge on travel and events.

A college friend and myself follow the US Men's soccer team to as many matches as we can get to.

My cousin and I also go to as many big WWE wrestling shows as we can get to. We've been to the last 4 Wrestlemania's and countess other events.

Work hard so I may as well enjoy some of it.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Kababayan wrote:A few years back my wife and I thought felt that we were spending too much money on frivolous items and not spending money buying things that we used more often. Our realization came as I was trying to find cheap work shoes after spending a hundred dollars on something else (I don't even remember what it was). We thought it was silly that I was trying to cheap-out on something that I wear all day-every day, but we didn't think twice about spending money on impulse buys that we would forget about in a short period of time. That's when began to spend our money on things that would make our everyday lives better. I don't mean finding deals, but spending a bit more money on for quality. I figured that there are some people at the forum here who do the same thing and it got me wondering about what's important to all of you to spend your money on. Below is a short list of things that my wife and I splurge for:

1. We roast our own coffee beans (which is embarrassingly easy and is so much better than store-bought coffee)
I buy Starbucks ground on sale at the grocery 6.99 a bag. I buy enough WOS to carry me through the next premium brand sale.
2. Work shoes (I'm standing all day) Retired now but I like Sketchers.
3. We buy the "expensive" paper towels (we have a newborn) I buy better paper towels for the kitchen and premium bathroom tissue for the other end.
4. We go out to eat less, but look for a better food experience when we do go out. We always look for the better experience and fortunate to have few restrictions.

If you don't mind saying, what is it that you don't mind spending a bit more money for? Thanks in advance.
We are retired into year 6 and fortunately a product of some over-saving and a huge bull market which has had a significant effect on disposable income. We like to travel, and more specifically we like to cruise. ... Europe, Russia, Caribbean, South America and various US locations among others. Have friends who take an inside cabin on the lowest floor... we go top or near top with a veranda and occasionally a suite. That's what we splurge on and my next car will be a splurge item too.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:12 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Theseus wrote:Here is my splurge. On a vacation in Switzerland, on a whim I decided to go sky diving (from over 15,000 feet) over Eiger Mountain (Jungfrau). With video and everything it is almost $1,000. But that is once in a lifetime - survive or not :D :D
15k feet sounds impressive, but Eiger summit is around 13k. About high high was your jump above the ground?

I will find out day after tomorrow how high do they take us. But the website says 15k. I am in Switzerland right now. I will find out in two days and will report back if I am alive ;). Here is the link. https://www.skydiveinterlaken.ch/index. ... er-jump-en

This is my first time ever, and I have no idea what to expect :-).

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Theseus wrote:
neilpilot wrote:

I will find out day after tomorrow how high do they take us. But the website says 15k. I am in Switzerland right now. I will find out in two days and will report back if I am alive ;). Here is the link. https://www.skydiveinterlaken.ch/index. ... er-jump-en

I seriously doubt they are parachuting onto the peak of Eiger.

It will have to be in an area where vehicles can easily pick them up afterwards, unless this is part of some variation of helo-skiing :wink:

But anywhere in that area should have absolutely spectacular scenery nearby!
Wow :D

Have fun!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:22 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Theseus wrote:
neilpilot wrote:

I seriously doubt they are parachuting onto the peak of Eiger.

It will have to be in an area where vehicles can easily pick them up afterwards, unless this is part of some variation of helo-skiing :wink:

But anywhere in that area should have absolutely spectacular scenery nearby!
Wow :D

Have fun!

RM
Thank you. We land back in to Grindelwald (poor choice of words in my first post...we don't land on Eiger) - they say 6 minutes of flying down after 45 seconds of free fall. I have asked much longer time in the air to enjoy the scenery after the free fall. Will see what happens.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Theseus wrote:
neilpilot wrote: 15k feet sounds impressive, but Eiger summit is around 13k. About high high was your jump above the ground?

I will find out day after tomorrow how high do they take us.
It better be 15,000 above ground level. 2,000 above ground level would be a combat type free fall, very dangerous.

U.S. Navy SEAL killed in parachute accident at Fleet Week event in Jersey City

Do they give you oxygen? You will be at almost 30,000 feet above sea level.
Last edited by Uncle Pennybags on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Theseus wrote:

Thank you. We land back in to Grindelwald (poor choice of words in my first post...we don't land on Eiger) - they say 6 minutes of flying down after 45 seconds of free fall. I have asked much longer time in the air to enjoy the scenery after the free fall. Will see what happens.
A 45 sec free fall is about 8000', and your shoot is likely around 5000' additional. That equates well with Gridelwald, which is a bit over 3k MSL. So a 13000 jump. Bring spare shorts :D

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:41 pm

A subscription to M*.

I don't need it for planning purposes (been retired for over a decade) but it still has good reading material on the funds I hold that are only available to subscription members.

In addition, I enjoy comments that are made in the various forums. These are interesting to read and you don't need a subscription to read/participate in discussions. Sometimes it's entertaining to read when folks like Mel don't believe in a 10% withdrawal method :twisted: ...

- Ron
Last edited by Ron on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Theseus wrote:
neilpilot wrote: 15k feet sounds impressive, but Eiger summit is around 13k. About high high was your jump above the ground?

I will find out day after tomorrow how high do they take us.
It better be 15,000 above ground level. 2,000 above ground level would be a combat type free fall, very dangerous.

U.S. Navy SEAL killed in parachute accident at Fleet Week event in Jersey City

Do they give you oxygen? You will be at almost 30,000 feet above sea level.
I doubt they will be 30k above the sea level. It is a helicopter ride to 15k. This was a spur of the moment decision. No idea about oxygen. But I hope I am acclimated right now with altitude. Just last month I hiked the Inca trail in Peru and I believe one of the passes was over 13k. And in past I have done Kilimanjaor, Everest Base Camp etc. with minimal ALS issues (not to say the past performance is indicative of any future results :D but I hope it will be ok).

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:49 pm

12k is a standard FF jump. 30k requires not only oxygen, but also special gear.
Last edited by Thesaints on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Theseus wrote:I doubt they will be 30k above the sea level. It is a helicopter ride to 15k
Add 15k to whatever ground level is above sea level. I was at 12,000 feet standing on the ground and the air was thin for someone not used to it.
Google tells me the 17,000k is jump altitude above sea level.
Last edited by Uncle Pennybags on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Theseus wrote:I doubt they will be 30k above the sea level. It is a helicopter ride to 15k
Add 15k to whatever ground level is above sea level. I was at 12,000 feet standing on the ground and the air was thin for someone not used to it.
I am not sure I fully understand. Can you explain? I thought all altitudes are measured from the sea level as zero. Why do I need to add 15k?

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Theseus wrote:
Uncle Pennybags wrote:
I am not sure I fully understand. Can you explain? I thought all altitudes are measured from the sea level as zero. Why do I need to add 15k?
You don't land at sea level. You will be landing 2,000 feet above sea level. So the jump is at 17,000 above seal level and 15,000 feet above ground level.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Uncle Pennybags wrote:There are no pistols in combat. Pistols are a police weapon not a combat weapon.
I personally know people who have used pistols in combat with relative frequency. Now granted, it's not a "screw the MP5/M4, all I need is my trusty 1911" sort of deal. But they are used somewhat often when CQB comes on unexpectedly, or when a reload will take long enough to result in death.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:06 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Uncle Pennybags wrote:There are no pistols in combat. Pistols are a police weapon not a combat weapon.
I personally know people who have used pistols in combat with relative frequency. Now granted, it's not a "screw the MP5/M4, all I need is my trusty 1911" sort of deal. But they are used somewhat often when CQB comes on unexpectedly, or when a reload will take long enough to result in death.
Pistols in combat? Pictures or it didn't happen.
Oh my a combat camera too.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:11 pm

For me, time is more valuable than money. I splurge a lot of time on the Bogleheads Forum.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)