Anyone bought a Pixel?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

Anyone bought a Pixel?

Post by CULater »

Like the looks and features of the Google Pixel smartphone, but a lot of coin. Priced like an iPhone - unlocked for about $650 on Google store. Is it worth it?
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
arf30

Re: Anyone bought a Pixel?

Post by arf30 »

It has the best software experience of any Android phone, especially compared to Samsung, but is hard to find and a generation behind in hardware at this point. The Pixel 2 will be out in the fall, I'd wait for that if possible.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

CULater wrote:Like the looks and features of the Google Pixel smartphone, but a lot of coin. Priced like an iPhone - unlocked for about $650 on Google store. Is it worth it?
So your BH strategy is to buy a 10 year old beater car and a new premium smartphone every few years?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

It is worth it to get a used one. A decent used one should cost under $400. As others have said the pixel 2 will be out in a few months and google have been stingy not lowering the price of current pixel new. They are offering a free google home with purchase if that interests you or you can sell it to reduce the overall cost. If you are on a verizon contract you can get one cheaper right now.

It still has probably the best camera around, smoothest experience despite the slightly older hardware and guaranteed latest updates first. So has a lot going for it. It is a totally different experience than other androids like from samsung or lg.

If cameras are not as important to you then oneplus offers better bang for your buck.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

TheTimeLord wrote:
CULater wrote:Like the looks and features of the Google Pixel smartphone, but a lot of coin. Priced like an iPhone - unlocked for about $650 on Google store. Is it worth it?
So your BH strategy is to buy a 10 year old beater car and a new premium smartphone every few years?
Seems odd but the only thing you really need out of a car is for it to get you to A to B. The difference between a 10 year old beater and a brand new car is not especially different in that respect. One could argue safety improvements but then these days a 10 year old beater is still safe.

The difference between a 2 year old+ phone and a new one is like night and day. Tech improvements happen a lot faster. Also the cost difference isn't all that much. Perhaps an extra $200 a year to get a premium phone. If the best smartphone camera or getting the latest software improvements are important then you are going to be pretty disappointed with a 2 year old phone or a cheap $200 phone.

That said the best value is in getting last year's flagships. The Samsung S7, Lg G5 etc are pretty inexpensive considering what they offer compare to the latest and greatest.

The pixel will probably hold its value more than other android phones. A bit like the iphone.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

jjface wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
Seems odd but the only thing you really need out of a car is for it to get you to A to B. The difference between a 10 year old beater and a brand new car is not especially different in that respect. One could argue safety improvements but then these days a 10 year old beater is still safe.

The difference between a 2 year old+ phone and a new one is like night and day. Tech improvements happen a lot faster. Also the cost difference isn't all that much. Perhaps an extra $200 a year to get a premium phone. If the best smartphone camera or getting the latest software improvements are important then you are going to be pretty disappointed with a 2 year old phone or a cheap $200 phone.

That said the best value is in getting last year's flagships. The Samsung S7, Lg G5 etc are pretty inexpensive considering what they offer compare to the latest and greatest.

The pixel will probably hold its value more than other android phones too. A bit like the iphone.
I understand and respect your logic but I have never bought into the car is only for getting you from point A-B rationale. Best I can calculate if you drive 12,000 miles a year with an average speed of 30 miles per hour you are spending 400 waking hours in your car. If your average waking day is 16 hours that means you spend 25 waking days a year in your car or just under 7% of your annual waking hours. For me making that 7% safer and more comfortable is worth considering. Then again I am desperately trying to nurse my current iPhone along until I can get an 8.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Silly Wabbit

Post by Silly Wabbit »

I got my SO a pixel around launch. It's quite nice. The experience feels smoother compared to my Nexus 5x. The camera is much faster in low light and gets better results always.

I'm waiting for the pixel 2 to upgrade.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

TheTimeLord wrote:
jjface wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:

The pixel will probably hold its value more than other android phones too. A bit like the iphone.
I understand and respect your logic but I have never bought into the car is only for getting you from point A-B rationale. Best I can calculate if you drive 12,000 miles a year with an average speed of 30 miles per hour you are spending 400 waking hours in your car. If your average waking day is 16 hours that means you spend 25 waking days a year in your car or just under 7% of your annual waking hours. For me making that 7% safer and more comfortable is worth considering. Then again I am desperately trying to nurse my current iPhone along until I can get an 8.
I think I spend more time on a phone than in a car but I hardly ever spend time with either. Less than 1% for both. I do take photos with my phone though so the camera is important. I've tried a dedicated camera but it is never convenient enough.
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

I would try to find a friend with one, and play around with it. Or go into a store and see if they have one open and usable.

My buddy got one, coming off several Samsung Galaxy models in a row, and doesn't really like it. Also, it cannot run our secure work email VPN (akin to using Knox on Samsung, Pixel doesn't have equivalent) so he has to carry around a second phone for work. Honestly not sure why he didn't return it, but he has AT&T and I don't know their return policies.

Otherwise, on the surface, I agree that it appears to be a very nice phone worth looking into. If they ever get the capability to run my work email, it will move to the top of my list.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Consider Google's support plans in making your purchase decision.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer ... xel_phones
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

arf30 wrote:It has the best software experience of any Android phone, especially compared to Samsung, but is hard to find and a generation behind in hardware at this point. The Pixel 2 will be out in the fall, I'd wait for that if possible.
October soon come, yes.
I say that because I'm on my THIRD Nexus 5x, the predecessor to the Pixel line. I bought #1 last August and both that one and #2 have died via the infamous bootloop syndrome. They both got replaced under warranty for free, so three cheers fer Google!
Nonetheless, I'm a nervous wreck* waiting for #3 to die before October...

* I'm not really a nervous wreck but it makes for more interesting reading to embellish it thusly...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

jjface wrote: ... I do take photos with my phone though so the camera is important. I've tried a dedicated camera but it is never convenient enough.
I've not taken a pic with a regular camera for over five years and likely never will* again.

*The exception is for underwater pics where I do use a camera + housing. Keep your smartphone out of the ocean...
Attempted new signature...
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

My wife has the Pixel and I have the Pixel XL. We love them. Best camera on a phone I've seen by far, including the recent iphone (excluding the portrait mode). Also the best Android phone you can get for everyday use in my opinion (if you prefer Android over Apple). Samsung makes a much prettier screen and just looks better to the eye, but it just isn't as good of an experience. Google's vanilla Android is so much smoother than Samsung's crappy software.

I'd caution on waiting for the Pixel 2. It will likely be very hard to get at first. The first Pixel had supply issues. If you do want the Pixel 2, I'd be purchasing it ASAP when it comes out, before you've even had a chance to see it. I ordered my wife's on the day it came out and she got it promptly. The stupid Verizon guy said I had to wait to get my Pixel XL if I wanted to use the promotional credit for both phones. That one week I waited to order mine caused a 2-3 month delay for shipping.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Gadget wrote:My wife has the Pixel and I have the Pixel XL. We love them. Best camera on a phone I've seen by far, including the recent iphone (excluding the portrait mode). Also the best Android phone you can get for everyday use in my opinion (if you prefer Android over Apple). Samsung makes a much prettier screen and just looks better to the eye, but it just isn't as good of an experience. Google's vanilla Android is so much smoother than Samsung's crappy software.
I agree, except for the comment about Samsung having a much prettier screen. I recently got a Pixel XL directly from Google, and I think it's the best phone I've ever had.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

The Wizard wrote:
jjface wrote: ... I do take photos with my phone though so the camera is important. I've tried a dedicated camera but it is never convenient enough.
I've not taken a pic with a regular camera for over five years and likely never will* again.

*The exception is for underwater pics where I do use a camera + housing. Keep your smartphone out of the ocean...
But they have a housing to take your smartphone into the ocean :D Cheap too :wink:

http://www.housingcamera.com/id4851-ito ... hones.html
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

spammagnet wrote:Consider Google's support plans in making your purchase decision.

"Pixel phones get Android version updates for at least 2 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store. After 2 years, we can't guarantee more updates."

This seems terrible to me, am I missing something? I've been with Apple since the iPhone 4 and that phone is still in use, received updates for years.

Why stop supporting their hardware so quickly? It's a $700 device. What is the logic or rationale?

iOS 10 is out now back to the iPhone 5... iOS 11 is coming out with iPhone 5S compatibility.
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

kjvmartin wrote:
spammagnet wrote:Consider Google's support plans in making your purchase decision.

"Pixel phones get Android version updates for at least 2 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store. After 2 years, we can't guarantee more updates."

This seems terrible to me, am I missing something? I've been with Apple since the iPhone 4 and that phone is still in use, received updates for years.

Why stop supporting their hardware so quickly? It's a $700 device. What is the logic or rationale?

iOS 10 is out now back to the iPhone 5... iOS 11 is coming out with iPhone 5S compatibility.

One: they aren't saying support will be discontinued. They're not gauranteeing it.
Two:
Old iphones run new versions of iOS like garbage.

As to 700$ device, I'm of the opinion that you'd be better off with a OnePlus 5 and save some cash. Buy a new phone more often.
Systems Engineer
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Is iPhone, Sammy or any other any better?
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

I passed by the Pixel and got the recently launched One Plus 5. Despite all the criticism it is receiving, it is a great phone for a fraction of the cost of a Samsung Galaxy S8 or iphone 7+. I haven't had any issues and very happy with the purchase. I've used the One Plus One for 2.5 years.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
2retire

Post by 2retire »

I have encountered a few issues with mine.
  • The touch screen isn't very responsive. I tend to be on a lot of conference calls, where I keep the people on speaker phone, while I walk around my house. Muting and un-muting is wonky if you try to do it too fast in succession. It often fails to recognize my presses.
  • I still haven't figured out how to add some apps to the home screen. Instead, it wants to add shortcuts to specific functionality within the app. For example, I can't seem to add the clock app to my home screen. Instead, I must choose one of the following clock functions:
    • Create new alarm
    • Create new timer
    • Start stopwatch
    • Start screensaver

I use the alarm function quite a bit. I had to choose the "Create new alarm" option. That added the clock app to my home screen, but now when I tap on the app icon, it takes me to a screen to setup a new alarm. I then have to choose cancel from popup to see all my existing alarms. It is so infuriating.

The Contacts app is even broken like this.

Problem solved in post below: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=222606&p=3439472#p3438383
  • If you dial into conference lines a lot, there is a touch problem with the dialer too. When you first dial the number, the number keys are spaced nicely. However, once you connect to the conference phone number, they show the number you called on the screen and they scrunch the dial pad numbers closer together to make room for it. When it comes time to punch in the conference #, the numbers are too close together and I frequently hit the wrong numbers. This is also infuriating if you hop from conference call to conference call all day and have to reenter those conference numbers over and over again.
I'm sure there are more issues but those rank at the top of my list.
Last edited by 2retire on Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Angelus359 wrote: Two:

As to 700$ device, I'm of the opinion that you'd be better off with a OnePlus 5 and save some cash. Buy a new phone more often.
My job does not replace our phones very often. Many coworkers are using iPhone 5 and I have a 6 issued by the agency. It's mighty smooth running garbage, if you want to call it that. Perhaps your line of thinking was accurate for the first few generations of iPhones? They seem to find ways to improve older hardware with new updates now. It's awesome.

I have a personal iPad mini with an A8 processor. I think they're on the A11X now. The A8 in the Mini runs everything with no issues for 3 years old and is still getting regular (good) updates from Apple.

Why would anyone want to buy a phone that gets only 2 years of guaranteed support when there are much better supported options? Even if you only keep the device 2 years, resale must be brutal.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

kjvmartin wrote:
Angelus359 wrote: Two:

My job does not replace our phones very often. Many coworkers are using iPhone 5 and I have a 6 issued by the agency. It's mighty smooth running garbage, if you want to call it that. Perhaps your line of thinking was accurate for the first few generations of iPhones? They seem to find ways to improve older hardware with new updates now. It's awesome.

I have a personal iPad mini with an A8 processor. I think they're on the A11X now. The A8 in the Mini runs everything with no issues for 3 years old and is still getting regular (good) updates from Apple.

Why would anyone want to buy a phone that gets only 2 years of guaranteed support when there are much better supported options? Even if you only keep the device 2 years, resale must be brutal.
At the end of the day there is no point comparing iphones and android phones. You either prefer android or prefer ios and that is that. One is not better than the other objectively - only for each individual person. I actually use both and get the best of both worlds. There are strengths and weaknesses to both and picking a few little details to try to prove one is better than the other is fruitless.

I actually prefer ios 9 on my iphone so would have preferred it if apple did not make me upgrade. We all know it is well nigh impossible to stick with an older version of ios - sooner or later apple will force your hand with constant reminders that won't go away or you just accidently hit update and can't ever go back. My LG G2 running android 5 is running perfectly (launched same time as the iphone 5S). I could root and run a custom rom if I wanted android 7.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'd like to interchange some words for you to better represent my own opinions. I'll bold the changes.

jjface wrote: Seems odd but the only thing you really need out of a PHONE is for it to MAKE A PHONE CALL. The difference between a 10 year old beater and a brand new PHONE is not especially different in that respect. One could argue safety improvements but then these days a 10 year old beater is still safe. ADDED NOTE, I'M USUALLY ABLE TO BORROW A PHONE WHEN I DON'T HAVE MINE. MUCH HARDER TO DO THIS WITH A CAR

The difference between a 2 year old+ CAR and a new one is like night and day. Tech improvements happen a lot faster. EYE SIGHT, LANE DEPARTURE, BACKUP CAMERA, ABS, VEHICLE STABILITY CONTROL, FOR EXAMPLE. Also the cost difference isn't all that much. Perhaps an extra $200 a MONTH to get a premium CAR. If the best SAFETY OR COMFORT FEATURES or getting the latest RELIABILITY improvements are important then you are going to be pretty disappointed with a 2 year old CAR or a cheap MICRO CAR.

That said the best value is in getting last year's flagships. The HYUNDA AND KIA MERCEDES CLONES etc are pretty inexpensive considering what they offer compare to the latest and greatest.

The pixel STILL MAKES PHONE CALLS. A bit like the iphone.
So a bit tongue in cheek but I'm a guy who's owned a Shelby Cobra, Lotus Elise and E30 M3 plus a few track records from roadracing. So to me, a car has never been an A to B proposition, unless that includes trailbraking into a turn to induce rotation, then hitting the apex late and powering up the hill. A phone? Quite honestly, my wife gives me crap because on the weekends, I leave it in the house so when I'm on errands, she can't get ahold of me. I'd be more than happy with a bag phone in my car with hands free. Notice that I would probably ignore the phone because my current car is a Wrangler and I'm doing some serious offroading at the moment and couldn't be bothered by some stupid phone.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I've been following the pixel a little bit but now I'm holding out for the Note8. (Was planning on going with the Note7 until they started exploding :shock: )

Even so, I will wait until the Note9 comes out so the Note8 will be on 'sale'. The high tier smartphones cost as much as well equipped laptop :?
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Sounds like the thing to do is wait until Pixel 2 comes out and try to pick up a discounted Pixel.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:I'd like to interchange some words for you to better represent my own opinions. I'll bold the changes.

jjface wrote: Seems odd but the only thing you really need out of a PHONE is for it to MAKE A PHONE CALL. The difference between a 10 year old beater and a brand new PHONE is not especially different in that respect. One could argue safety improvements but then these days a 10 year old beater is still safe. ADDED NOTE, I'M USUALLY ABLE TO BORROW A PHONE WHEN I DON'T HAVE MINE. MUCH HARDER TO DO THIS WITH A CAR

The difference between a 2 year old+ CAR and a new one is like night and day. Tech improvements happen a lot faster. EYE SIGHT, LANE DEPARTURE, BACKUP CAMERA, ABS, VEHICLE STABILITY CONTROL, FOR EXAMPLE. Also the cost difference isn't all that much. Perhaps an extra $200 a MONTH to get a premium CAR. If the best SAFETY OR COMFORT FEATURES or getting the latest RELIABILITY improvements are important then you are going to be pretty disappointed with a 2 year old CAR or a cheap MICRO CAR.

That said the best value is in getting last year's flagships. The HYUNDA AND KIA MERCEDES CLONES etc are pretty inexpensive considering what they offer compare to the latest and greatest.

The pixel STILL MAKES PHONE CALLS. A bit like the iphone.
So a bit tongue in cheek but I'm a guy who's owned a Shelby Cobra, Lotus Elise and E30 M3 plus a few track records from roadracing. So to me, a car has never been an A to B proposition, unless that includes trailbraking into a turn to induce rotation, then hitting the apex late and powering up the hill. A phone? Quite honestly, my wife gives me crap because on the weekends, I leave it in the house so when I'm on errands, she can't get ahold of me. I'd be more than happy with a bag phone in my car with hands free. Notice that I would probably ignore the phone because my current car is a Wrangler and I'm doing some serious offroading at the moment and couldn't be bothered by some stupid phone.
You missed the point of what I was saying anyway - the person was arguing that getting a premium smartphone was odd when the person drove a 10 year old beater car. For you it is the opposite. You'd take a 10 year old beater phone and a premium car. My point is that none of it is necessarily contradictory behavior. You or him. People buy whatever they want and need and have different priorities. You couldn't car less about the phone and he couldn't car less about the car. I'm not arguing that premium cars are pointless. Nor am I arguing that premium phones are necessary.

I'm just saying it can make perfect sense to want a premium phone if they own a beater car! Just as it can make sense to want a premium car and a flip phone.
onourway

Post by onourway »

The idea of comparing a new phone every couple of years to a new car is ludicrous, IMO. A phone costs ~$600. A new car runs what, $25k or more for most? Not even in the same hemisphere.

FWIW, I happen to mostly own new phones (I agree - the changes that happen year over year are generally meaningful - although this slope is slowing down in recent years). Cars? Despite being a huge car geek, I don't find newer to be better. I prefer the comfort, steering, handling, and overall feel of my older cars to most anything newer - nearly all of which - including enthusiast models - continue to get increasingly disconnected from the driver. And oddly enough while I'm a huge tech geek - I've found I don't care for it in my cars. There I like to keep it simple. It's very difficult to introduce tech to a car in a way that is not distracting to the driver - even with best intentions. I'm most confident behind the wheel when all my controls are analogue.
stm

Post by stm »

Ton of comments about the hardware - but none about the service.

For world travelers, Project Fi is a really huge deal. We are in the middle of a trip to see the 7 wonders of the world with 3 other devices on the shared data plan and it's great!
virgingorda

Post by virgingorda »

I like my Pixel a lot and I really like a Project Fi. What's different about Pixel/Fi from my previous Android experience is no crap apps that come from the service provider to gum up the phone. The billing is very staightforward. Overall everything about it is staightforward. I have had Samsung Galaxies before and the Pixel is definitely a step up.
mancich

Post by mancich »

We are not a hardcore "Apple" family by any means, using both Windows PCs, iPads, and iPhones. But when it comes to phones, I can't convince DW and DD to try any different kind of phone. And I have to say, the iPhones we use (6, 6S, and 7) work perfectly. Not sure what switching to a Pixel would accomplish for us at this point, though I'm sure they're very nice phones.
katzmandu

Post by katzmandu »

CULater wrote:Sounds like the thing to do is wait until Pixel 2 comes out and try to pick up a discounted Pixel.
Agreed. I updated to a Nexus 6 2+ years ago (admittedly when Sprint was still offering 2 year contracts) for sub $300. They stopped upgrading the OS at 7.1.1 though they are continuing to provide monthly security updates until 10/17....3+ year shelf-life for a flagship phone isn't too shabby

I missed the newer Nexus 6p by about 6 months and the Pixel in its current iteration as well. Considering the Pixel 2 is coming out soon, once it does, the prices on the Pixel should drop precipitously in which case I will probably get one at a steep discount.

However 'worse' the older Pixel is vs the Pixel 2, it will be a quantum leap over the Nexus 6 and will likely be supported for 2+ years beyond my purchase date for sub $400. Sounds smart to me. Set the expectations bar to 85% instead of needing to own the newest and you'll wind up plenty happy
rob

Post by rob »

I'm torn.... I LOVE the Fi service and traveling options outside the US. I have a Nexus 5x phone and it's meh... Lots of bugs with either the phone or android (non responsive buttons so cannot answer phone sometimes, poor apps like default dialer, slow camera, music app that insists on playing when I hang up a call and on and on). The new phones are crazy expensive..... They need a low cost option again - I struggled with spending $300 on that damn nexus - I refuse to pay double or triple that.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
katzmandu

Post by katzmandu »

rob wrote:I'm torn.... I LOVE the Fi service and traveling options outside the US. I have a Nexus 5x phone and it's meh... Lots of bugs with either the phone or android (non responsive buttons so cannot answer phone sometimes, poor apps like default dialer, slow camera, music app that insists on playing when I hang up a call and on and on). The new phones are crazy expensive..... They need a low cost option again - I struggled with spending $300 on that damn nexus - I refuse to pay double or triple that.
In other countries they pay full price on the phones but their cell bill is way cheaper than in the US. Here, they figured out how to charge you full price for the phone AND soak you for the service. Same thing with slower internet speeds for massive cost. Only in America!
shipwreck

Post by shipwreck »

I got two 32g Pixels last Black Friday at BestBuy for $250+tax each (without bill credits) and a Really Blue 32g Pixel XL for $360+tax before the end of year sale (with bill credits) at Verizon . I regret the bill credits because it forces you into a pseudo contract . But for the price, it was hard to pass up.

Phones are great. Fingerprint sensor on the back is the best thing since sliced bread. Phones are fast with no vendor bloat on them.
I would be prepared for any deal during the next Black Friday or anytime . Be ready to jump.

Timing is everything. I got both Pixel phones within days and two weeks for the Pixel XL. (even with the stock issues at the time)
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

virgingorda wrote:I like my Pixel a lot and I really like a Project Fi. What's different about Pixel/Fi from my previous Android experience is no crap apps that come from the service provider to gum up the phone. The billing is very staightforward. Overall everything about it is staightforward. I have had Samsung Galaxies before and the Pixel is definitely a step up.
Except for all the Google crap apps that I never use and can't get rid of. :annoyed
junior

Post by junior »

kjvmartin wrote:

Although this is a disadvantage of Android vs IOS, a lot of the core Android services update via the app store- where the equivilent services on IOS update via the OS- so its not as bad as it might first seem.
marklar13

Post by marklar13 »

We bought them new when they first came out. Previous phones were 3 or 4 years old and not holding up well. These are some of my favorite features. Keep in mind that they are mostly not exclusive to Pixel, but just some things to consider:
  • Camera --
    I am particularly impressed with its ability to capture action shots. Maybe all the newer cameras are this way, but my previous phone would take forever to focus, etc and then the moment was gone. I find that the responsiveness of a Pixel helps me get quality shots of my fidgety 2 year old. If you do get a Pixel, then just be aware that the case you buy might make a slight difference. Mine has two cutouts for the camera stuff, and sometimes dust gathers in the cutout with one of the sensors. Periodically, it causes the phone to want to continually refocus until I peel back the case and wipe the dust off the sensor. My wife's case doesn't do this, but a good thing to know. (Sidenote -- in my opinion the official google pixel phone case is an overpriced POS. I have a cheap spigen case that I really like, despite the dust issue mentioned above).
  • Storage --
    Haven't seen this mentioned, but another consideration is that we use google drive to store everything. Not sure if this is still the case, but buying a new Pixel, google lets us store unlimited full resolution pictures and videos from the phone without counting against our cloud storage limit. The integration between the phone and Google Photos App is also awesome in my opinion -- although that might just be the same on all newer Android phones and not just the Pixel. Photos are automatically backed up -- and when I delete them from the Photos app they also delete from the device. I remember on my old Android phone always being frustrated that the two would be out of sync (especially because it often takes me 10 pictures to get 1 keeper for my two year old).
  • Fast software updates --
    This is mentioned above and is nice to get the latest security patches, etc.
  • Wifi calling --
    Depends on your carrier, and lots of phones support this now, but we definitely needed this option. Cell reception is terrible at our house, so I use wifi calling almost exclusively when I'm at home. The pixel does a decent job of toggling between wifi and cellular, although there is a slight delay when it switches over.
  • Fast charging --
    Not the only device that does this now, but the USB 3 charging is awesome. Getting close to a full charge in a few minutes really comes in handy sometimes.
  • Fingerprint scanner --
    It's in a good location and is really much more convenient than I anticipated. Especially now that I have security software on here for work that forces me to use a 6 digit PIN rather than a pattern... the fingerprint scanner still works and lets me unlock my phone instantly (except when you first turn the phone on -- then it forces you to put in the pin, but not a big deal).
I'd definitely consider buying a used one in your case if you can get a decent price discount that way. It's all user preference, but I find that the regular pixel (rather than the xl) is the perfect size, and have no need for expanded storage since I keep everything in the cloud anyway. I've been happy with the purchase, and plan on holding on to these for a few years to make it worthwhile.
Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 »

Just to throw in my $0.02, I own a Nexus 5x. I've had it for two years, and think it's the best phone I've owned. It may just be luck, but I've experienced none of the problems others have cited in this thread.

Interestingly my wife, abundantly frustrated with her iPhone 5, attempted to buy one last year. Unfortunately the North American version (790) has become very difficult to find. Three times she attempted to order this phone, from Amazon and B&H, called/emailed to verify this was the North American model, and received the International model (791) each time. This was a problem because our carrier, Verizon, can't/won't/is unable to support that phone -- and since she gets a significant phone stipend from work, for Verizon, switching wasn't an option.

So she got a Pixel. Her only complaint is that's way too much to pay for a phone. My question is what to do when the inevitable happens and my 5x dies? I have a strong Android preference, and like the software; I could bite the bullet and buy a Pixel, but what are the other options in this niche?
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Here is a comparison of a Pixel with a Moto G4.

https://versus.com/en/google-pixel-vs-motorola-moto-g4

You can currently get the Moto G4 for ~$110. I paid $110 for mine. The Moto G5 is out and added a finger print scanner.

I have the G4 and wonder if the differences in features can make up for the $400 or $500 price difference.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

stm wrote:Ton of comments about the hardware - but none about the service.

For world travelers, Project Fi is a really huge deal. We are in the middle of a trip to see the 7 wonders of the world with 3 other devices on the shared data plan and it's great!
+1. I have the new Pixel and Google Fi service and LOVE it. But as the poster above said, I travel internationally a lot - and this was the main reason for my switch. It is simply amazing in this regard. It is also slightly cheaper p/mo than my old TMobile service. However, if I didn't travel Internationally I wouldn't have bothered to make the switch.

As to the phone itself, I love it. The camera is excellent. The supplied cable allows for fast charging (I can get ~70% battery in 15 minutes). I have 128GB and now hold ALL my music on it so I no longer need an ipod. I have no issues other posters mentioned whatsoever. Touch screen is responsive, alarm clock works (and was easily added to my home screen, etc.

The only thing I hated was the price. It is :moneybag :dollar :moneybag :dollar
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
virgingorda

Post by virgingorda »

CULater wrote:
virgingorda wrote:I like my Pixel a lot and I really like a Project Fi. What's different about Pixel/Fi from my previous Android experience is no crap apps that come from the service provider to gum up the phone. The billing is very staightforward. Overall everything about it is staightforward. I have had Samsung Galaxies before and the Pixel is definitely a step up.
Except for all the Google crap apps that I never use and can't get rid of. :annoyed

I guess maybe I actually use the Google apps because they are useful?

And to the person who can't add the clock to the home screen, just drag it to the home screen like any other app. Ignore the pop up options about the alarm, etc.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

The Pixel is a great device. The price tag hurt, but was worth it for a device used the majority of every day. It is lightning fast, relatively secure (gets updates upon release), great camera, no bloat ware, and unlocked (GSM and CDMA capable) when bought through Google. It was a worthwhile expense. The only downside is no water resistance. The Pixel 2 is, per the rumors, supposed to fix that issue.

For those looking for a great cheap phone, the Motorola G5 Plus is nice. You can get it as low as $150 on Amazon. We paid about $185. Unlocked for all carriers, water resistant, decent camera, and good enough for everyday use (not gaming or processor intensive apps). We have one of these in our home as well, and like it. If it gets lost or broken, it will hurt much less to replace.
Harley BenV

Post by Harley BenV »

My wife's G4 was in bad shape so she decided to shift to Pixel. But she did not liked the phone. Thought LG was a good android phone and after the boot lap issue she faced she did not wanted to go back to LG so I made her switch to iPhone. I already had an iPhone 7 plus, she liked the size and the clarity and simplicity of the phone so she switched to 6S plus. She's actually liking it alot.
Harley BenV

Post by Harley BenV »

However, my friend is using Pixel and she was always a Google phone fan so she is very content with Pixel. :happy
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

virgingorda wrote:
CULater wrote:

I guess maybe I actually use the Google apps because they are useful?

And to the person who can't add the clock to the home screen, just drag it to the home screen like any other app. Ignore the pop up options about the alarm, etc.
Let's see now:

Google Play Books - nope
Google Play Games - nope
Google Play Movies & TV - nope
Google Play Music - nope
Google Play Newsstand - nope

I'd like to get rid of them all and their endless updates. But Google makes me keep them. Googlebloatware.
2retire

Post by 2retire »

virgingorda wrote: And to the person who can't add the clock to the home screen, just drag it to the home screen like any other app. Ignore the pop up options about the alarm, etc.
Wow, thanks for that. Its not exactly "like any other app", the phone definitely behaves differently based on which type of app you select. I had even given my phone to several other people to see if they could figure out how to add them to the home screen and no one figured out to do that.
topos

Post by topos »

CULater wrote:Let's see now:

Google Play Books - nope
Google Play Games - nope
Google Play Movies & TV - nope
Google Play Music - nope
Google Play Newsstand - nope

I'd like to get rid of them all and their endless updates. But Google makes me keep them. Googlebloatware.
You might not be able to totally remove such per-installed app but you should be able to disable them. Depending on the phone, it is under the phone application setting or "application manager" (but not the google play store). Select and app and there should be a "disable" option. Update will no longer be installed, no notification, application will not run in the background. It is available on most phones since Android 5.