Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
queso
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by queso » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:34 am

I'm a pretty big Amazon addict too. 2017 - 100 orders, 2016 - 208 orders, 2015 - 165 orders. Like others, I have noticed that Amazon's prices are no longer the best or even in the ballpark on some items. One that comes to mind from a recent purchase is some landscaping stuff I needed. Amazon was significantly higher than Home Depot so I just did an online pick up in store Home Depot order. Sure, it didn't come to my door, but it was only a 10 minute drive and I saved 30-40% over what Amazon wanted for the same stuff. I also shifted a couple of purchases away from Amazon and back to Costco as well and will keep doing more comparing than I have in the past since it seems like the prices for some items have really become non-competitive. If the differences are small I'll go with Amazon for the reasons others have mentioned - free, fast shipping, easy returns, don't have to leave the house, etc.

JFP_SF
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:01 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by JFP_SF » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:36 am

I work for a company that for business reasons tracks the pricing on Amazon pretty closely. Amazon only has the lowest price for an item in about 7% of cases. As long as they are pretty close in price, most people still use them for convenience.

MrNewEngland
Posts: 807
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:38 am

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:38 am

I love Amazon and buy a lot through them. There was a time when you could pretty much be guaranteed that they were going to be the cheapest way to buy most items.

Now you really have to price check them on all your purchases. They're still usually the cheapest but more and more you can find items cheaper elsewhere.

MrNewEngland
Posts: 807
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:38 am

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:40 am

JFP_SF wrote:I work for a company that for business reasons tracks the pricing on Amazon pretty closely. Amazon only has the lowest price for an item in about 7% of cases. As long as they are pretty close in price, most people still use them for convenience.
You posted this as I was typing my response above. That is really interesting to me, I am surprised the number is that low.

Although I will admit that on cheap items I love being able to pull out my phone, use the app, and have the item 2 days later.

Maybe I should start price checking a little harder.

BeerTooth
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by BeerTooth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:50 am

Loik098 wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:Buy on Amazon for free shipping/no sales tax, then use your credit cards price match feature to get the best pricing.
This.

There's no way anyone here knows whether all of the prices on Amazon are going up, all of the prices are going down, some are up, or some are down, or whether "good values" are really good. We each live in our own little microcosm and only buy a minuscule percentage of all of the items sold on Amazon....so it's rather silly to speculate how "competitive" the company generally is or isn't.

However, credit card companies have access to vast amounts of data, and can be your friend when it comes to finding the best price after your purchase. Simply register your purchase, and some will even do the work for you. Even a 90-day window on price drops can be extremely beneficial (think holiday shopping).
Has anyone tried the third-party price match apps? One called Earny and another I can't recall. They take 25% cut of your refund. You give them access to your email, and notify you of price drops. The convenience may be worth it to me, since internet privacy left the barn years ago, I might as well benefit from the convenience factor!

MrNewEngland
Posts: 807
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:38 am

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:54 am

It's worth noting that if you get the Amazon credit card they give you 5% back on your Amazon purchases.

That may not be huge but it's not insignificant.

azurekep
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by azurekep » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:18 am

invst65 wrote:I still find good deals but one thing I've been noticing as a Prime Member is that "free shipping" isn't as free as it pretends to be. This becomes obvious when I can buy the same item at Walmart for the same price minus the cost of shipping. I think what "free shipping" really means is that shipping is included in the price.
That sounds similar to the loyalty cards at grocery stores. They jack up the price of all items, then when you use the loyalty card, it's back to the price where it used to be.

Jags4186
Posts: 2259
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:24 pm

TylerDavis wrote:
Loik098 wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:Buy on Amazon for free shipping/no sales tax, then use your credit cards price match feature to get the best pricing.
This.

There's no way anyone here knows whether all of the prices on Amazon are going up, all of the prices are going down, some are up, or some are down, or whether "good values" are really good. We each live in our own little microcosm and only buy a minuscule percentage of all of the items sold on Amazon....so it's rather silly to speculate how "competitive" the company generally is or isn't.

However, credit card companies have access to vast amounts of data, and can be your friend when it comes to finding the best price after your purchase. Simply register your purchase, and some will even do the work for you. Even a 90-day window on price drops can be extremely beneficial (think holiday shopping).
Has anyone tried the third-party price match apps? One called Earny and another I can't recall. They take 25% cut of your refund. You give them access to your email, and notify you of price drops. The convenience may be worth it to me, since internet privacy left the barn years ago, I might as well benefit from the convenience factor!
Citi's Price Rewind benefit will do this for you and there is no 25% cut. You do need to tell them what you bought and upload the receipt though. I've gotten in a habit of doing it immediately after purchasing something online.

BeerTooth
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by BeerTooth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
TylerDavis wrote:
Loik098 wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:Buy on Amazon for free shipping/no sales tax, then use your credit cards price match feature to get the best pricing.
This.

There's no way anyone here knows whether all of the prices on Amazon are going up, all of the prices are going down, some are up, or some are down, or whether "good values" are really good. We each live in our own little microcosm and only buy a minuscule percentage of all of the items sold on Amazon....so it's rather silly to speculate how "competitive" the company generally is or isn't.

However, credit card companies have access to vast amounts of data, and can be your friend when it comes to finding the best price after your purchase. Simply register your purchase, and some will even do the work for you. Even a 90-day window on price drops can be extremely beneficial (think holiday shopping).
Has anyone tried the third-party price match apps? One called Earny and another I can't recall. They take 25% cut of your refund. You give them access to your email, and notify you of price drops. The convenience may be worth it to me, since internet privacy left the barn years ago, I might as well benefit from the convenience factor!
Citi's Price Rewind benefit will do this for you and there is no 25% cut. You do need to tell them what you bought and upload the receipt though. I've gotten in a habit of doing it immediately after purchasing something online.
Interesting. Can you just forward the email confirmation from Amazon to Citi? Or do you need a PDF of the receipt.
Is the onus on you to watch the price for 90 days, or do they automatically track it for you?
The appeal of Earny is that they track prices for you. I don't have the mental bandwidth to track past purchases, but if I can get $2 back on a $10 Amazon purchase, I'll take it. It's better than nothing.

User avatar
meowcat
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:46 am

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by meowcat » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:06 pm

I don't do much buying on Amazon anymore. They used to be one of my favorite online retailers. Lately, though, they have become the worlds largest flea market. Too many third party sellers, peddling knock-off merchandise. I've been burned in the past purchasing items that were labeled original and in fact, were cheap fakes. The good thing about Amazon, though, is they will make it right, fast. Amazon gave me a full refund on some Weber (fake) burner tubes and the third party seller didn't even want them back! Also bought a bunch of Dickie's work pants. Can't prove they were knock-offs but they didn't last near as long as my last pairs.
More people should learn to tell their dollars where to go instead of asking them where they went. | -Roger Babson

User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1728
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by flamesabers » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:12 pm

In terms of price it's hard to say. Consistently it seems Amazon charges less for books then my local Barns & Noble does. However, for household products and the like, Amazon isn't the clear winner. Sometimes Amazon charges more than Walmart or Target does. Maybe it's because of the weight, but it seems Amazon charges a bit more for cat litter then the stores in my area. :confused

I think the areas where Amazon shines are diversity of products and convenience. When it comes to computer accessories and other electronics, I think Amazon has a far better selection then local brick & mortar stores. It's a real time-saver being able to order stuff during my lunch break at work and then get the items two days later at my front door. My mom isn't computer savvy at all, but she really appreciates how Amazon has simplified Christmas shopping for her. No longer does she have to hunt for items in stores and stand in long lines. Instead, she can just look at people's wish lists, buy what she wants and wait for the stuff to get delivered to her house. It saves her a lot of time and hassle.
MrNewEngland wrote:It's worth noting that if you get the Amazon credit card they give you 5% back on your Amazon purchases.

That may not be huge but it's not insignificant.
I also like the 5% cashback but it comes with a price tag of $99 for the prime membership. Sometimes Amazon has a discount on the fee (I think I paid $79 for my latest prime membership) or sells it for like half-price if you're a college student. I can remember when Amazon gave away it's prime membership for free if you're a student (that's how they got me hooked on Amazon prime!).

Jags4186
Posts: 2259
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:49 pm

TylerDavis wrote: Interesting. Can you just forward the email confirmation from Amazon to Citi? Or do you need a PDF of the receipt.
Is the onus on you to watch the price for 90 days, or do they automatically track it for you?
The appeal of Earny is that they track prices for you. I don't have the mental bandwidth to track past purchases, but if I can get $2 back on a $10 Amazon purchase, I'll take it. It's better than nothing.
After I buy something from Amazon I go to my orders, click on the "view invoice" button, save a copy of it, then I go to Citi and add the items/upload the invoice. They do the tracking for 60 days.

To give you an example, my wife recently bought about 6 items for a baby shower in the $10-$20 range. We received credits for every item in the $1-$5 range after about 75 days.

I also wouldn't be surprised if you could double up--do Citi Price Protection and this Earny thing. Since the timelines are different (Citi is 60 days and it seems like Earny is 90 days?) you potentially could get double back.

We don't buy that much stuff, but it really has changed the way I shop. I want to buy from places that offer the best service and then I don't worry if I'm paying a little extra. The other added bonus is if you want to play the cash back portal game, you can purposefully buy something overpriced because you're getting a hefty cash back bonus (check out cashbackmonitor) then Price Rewind to get the lowest price and maximum cash back.

The informed consumer is getting great deals...means the uniformed are really getting ripped off...

iamlucky13
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:08 pm

I find good values at Amazon, but not consistently. It's one of several places to comparison shop, and rising prices are far from Amazon's only problem.

For example, my mouse was dying (it's been a good one though - 12 years old). I had a couple options in mind for replacements based on reviews and specs, but ergonomics are a huge deal if you use a computer all day long, so I wanted to handle it before buying. Best Buy's website indicated they had several of the models I wanted to compare.

If I try something in store, I generally buy it there even if it's slightly more expensive, because in the long run, "showrooming" is going to bad for the consumer.

In this case, though, it saved me $6 compared to Amazon, I got the product right away instead of waiting 2-10 days, and most importantly, I knew it met my needs.

I also decided to scrap my old dingy mousepad that was a freebie from somewhere. The one I picked is $14.99 on Amazon, or $6.99 on Newegg. Easy choice. I'm glad I took the 2 minutes to check Newegg - $240 per hour value right there.
JoeJohnson wrote:My non-Prime orders tend to arrive rather quickly. It's almost always on the quick end of their estimate rather than taking "weeks"
Really? I usually see my non-prime orders on in-stock items sit and wait 5-6 days before they ship. I wonder if I mistakenly pissed off one of the order processing computers...no doubt they're all sentient by now, and hate their jobs because order processing is monotonous. I just know they'd take it out on me.
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azurekep
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by azurekep » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:16 pm

iamlucky13 wrote: I wonder if I mistakenly pissed off one of the order processing computers...no doubt they're all sentient by now, and hate their jobs because order processing is monotonous. I just know they'd take it out on me.
They'd rather be piloting the drones...more exciting.

User avatar
celia
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by celia » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:26 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:I let stuff sit in my shopping basket and watch the frequent price movements, and I buy when I've got a good feel for things.
+1.
Another "shopping timer", I see. I tend to buy things there that are somewhat unique and not found locally.

iamlucky13
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:27 pm

azurekep wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote: I wonder if I mistakenly pissed off one of the order processing computers...no doubt they're all sentient by now, and hate their jobs because order processing is monotonous. I just know they'd take it out on me.
They'd rather be piloting the drones...more exciting.
I know right? It's almost like Bezos is deliberately antagonizing them. Let the machines manage the machines/drones. Let the humans manage the humans.

Mix the two and resentment and distrust sets in.

We should all boycott Amazon before Bezos leads us straight into the robot uprising.

multiham
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:28 am

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by multiham » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:44 pm

I find it very interesting that so many people on this site are shopping less at Amazon than they did in the past. Amazon's sales and market share are still increasing at incredible rates. They are literally changing the face of retail. I love Amazon for the convenience, the willingness to make things right, and their drive to never settle for the status quo. In my 27 years working in the CPG industry, I have never seen as much change as what has happened in the past couple of years and it continues to accelerate.

What I find interesting is Amazon's business model. They actually had an estimated $7.2 billion net loss on shipping in 2016. The vast majority of their profits come from web services and not from their retail model. It will be interesting to see how long Walmart and other companies can continue to have such low prices (losing money on certain items) given that they do not have many other revenue streams to rely on for profitability. Meanwhile, I will continue to order from Amazon, use my Citi rewind for any large purchases, and continue to count on the convenience of having the product available 1 to 2 days later.

iamlucky13
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:02 am

multiham wrote:I find it very interesting that so many people on this site are shopping less at Amazon than they did in the past. Amazon's sales and market share are still increasing at incredible rates.
I actually probably shop at Amazon more than I did a couple years ago. But the amount of stuff I buy online is slowly increasing, and the number of online options with well-established reputations and a better shopping experience is also increasing, so Amazon probably makes up a declining portion of my online spending.
multiham wrote:It will be interesting to see how long Walmart and other companies can continue to have such low prices (losing money on certain items) given that they do not have many other revenue streams to rely on for profitability.
AWS had $3 billion operating margin on $12 billion revenue in 2016. It doesn't cover a $7.2 billion shipping loss. There is also expected to be increasing price pressure on web services in the future partially offsetting the expected future revenue growth.

Others also don't have Amazon's high processing overhead. You already noted their shipping costs. The cost-challenge actually starts upstream of that with the need to track and store an inventory of 10 gazillion individual products, then sort and ship them, not by the truckload to stores where the customer takes care of the last mile(s), but individually all the way to the customer.

This contributes to a high overhead for Amazon - looking at their 2016 annual report, it looks like right around 33% total overhead.

I've read elsewhere that retail in general usually has a 25-50% overhead, and you can bet that Walmart is near or possibly defines the bottom end of that. Maybe at some point I'll have to look at Walmart's 10-K to see if it provides similar clues as Amazon's does. I do know that Amazon had a 1.7% net profit margin last year, which was unusually (as in not part of their overall trend) good for them, compared to 2.8% for Walmart, which was a small decline.

That said, I shop at Amazon a lot more than I do Walmart. There are plenty of other stores I will miss much more if they succumb to the online market shift.

nukewerker
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:46 am

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by nukewerker » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:06 am

As another example I recently mowed over my grass bag catcher on my mower. Amazon was almost a full 20% more expensive and I wasn't even sure the bag was a snapper part no. Ended up getting it from Sears online and it was here in 2 or 3 days. Pretty much all other sites were cheaper, ebay, etc. Amazon was great 4 or 5 years ago but my wife and I noticed even on Black Friday most of their deals were nothing to write home about. Not that you can't price match things but just know that by and large Amazon is now one of the most expensive places to shop online. (yes that's an opinion and not necessarily fact)

Naismith
Posts: 373
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by Naismith » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:28 am

For us, living in a smaller city with no Costco in less than 2 hours drive, the selection at Amazon is a huge plus. And the reliable convenience.

Last year we did a bathroom renovation. We had decided on, but not yet bought, some fixtures for the showers. The plumber was booked for a week away. Went to order on Home Depot but they wouldn't have them in for 2 weeks! Checked Amazon, and the same items were at the same price, delivered in 2 days.

And I'm using an Amazon Basics computer mouse to write this, after having thrown out a less reliable mouse for which I had paid more.

Having our consumer eyes wide open is a good thing, but for some of us Amazon has made our lives a lot easier.

mancich
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by mancich » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:44 am

Certainly Amazon is not always the lowest price on a given item, but their Prime benefits are outstanding IMO. And their selection on just about anything you can think of is incredible. As another poster said, I'm not going to spend time trying to save a few dollars when I know Amazon Prime just....works. :beer

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 5686
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by bottlecap » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:36 am

Amazon is more about convenience than price. It's been that way for a couple of years.

Lots of competition - Walmart.com, jet.com, wayfair.com, etc... shop around.

JT

sharpjm
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:41 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by sharpjm » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:52 am

Yes, amazon has been moving in this direction for years now. Pretty much ever since the cost of prime was increased. I rarely shop there anymore because there are so many add-on and prime-only items. I will say that there are always so many amazon promos that I rarely pay the full amazon 'sticker' price for anything when I do shop there. But without an amazon promo of some sort, I typically end up at wal-mart, target, or newegg.

I was really hoping that jet.com would put some pressure on amazon to keep prices low but that doesn't seem to have happened.

cutterinnj
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by cutterinnj » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:53 am

Amazon offers the same (and in some cases, the lowest) prices on thousands of items;
the main benefit is they ship it to you for free, next day.
They make things incredibly easy to order from, and offer an easy way to give gifts (safer than handing cash, and almost as versatile.)

Over the past few weeks, my wife has become addicted to AmazonFresh- their version of a supermarket-
things are ordered and shipped fresh and arrive at your doorstep- everything is pretty much either the same price or less than our local Shoprite.

tic
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by tic » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:12 am

I'm also in the "don't shop at Amazon nearly as much as I used to" camp. They are the most convenient by far, but I don't have the net worth requisite to be a convenience shopper!

Lately I've been playing with apps like wikibuy and honey that automatically comparison shop when you add something to your cart and automatically try every available coupon code before you purchase something. These have supported my gut feeling that Amazon is usually not the cheapest. I hope that some day the convenience factor becomes worth it to me. For now, it isn't.

MrNewEngland
Posts: 807
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:38 am

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by MrNewEngland » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:17 am

flamesabers wrote:
I also like the 5% cashback but it comes with a price tag of $99 for the prime membership. Sometimes Amazon has a discount on the fee (I think I paid $79 for my latest prime membership) or sells it for like half-price if you're a college student. I can remember when Amazon gave away it's prime membership for free if you're a student (that's how they got me hooked on Amazon prime!).
I look at the membership fee as a sunk cost bc I was a member before the card and I'd be a member without it. Even at $99 / year that's a great deal for what you get. I use the streaming a lot, the music app & music library are great, and two day shipping is really convenient.

That is a good point though, I had totally forgotten the card only comes with Prime membership.

tampaite
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by tampaite » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:20 am

Short answer NO.

I have $500 Amazon GC loaded into my account and so far this year have bought only about $100 worth of stuff. Most of my shopping has been at Walmart or membership based clubs and with Walmart's free 2-day shipping and free in-store pick-up option plus the nearest location is like < 9 miles away which makes it very, very convenient.

Amazon Lighning deals were good but lately, I only find junk items(junk for me since i have no use to them).

Since Amazon has lowered free shipping to $25 and most cheaper items are now prime-pantry which has an additional shipping fees, prime membership is becoming less attractive to me.

tampaite
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by tampaite » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:38 am

Jags4186 wrote:
After I buy something from Amazon I go to my orders, click on the "view invoice" button, save a copy of it, then I go to Citi and add the items/upload the invoice. They do the tracking for 60 days.
How do you add items? Often times, the item doesn't show up in the search bar and there is no way to add unless you fill-out a form and fax it to them.

Ex: let's say, I want to add pampers diapers size 1 - how would you do that?

Jags4186
Posts: 2259
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:50 am

tampaite wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
After I buy something from Amazon I go to my orders, click on the "view invoice" button, save a copy of it, then I go to Citi and add the items/upload the invoice. They do the tracking for 60 days.
How do you add items? Often times, the item doesn't show up in the search bar and there is no way to add unless you fill-out a form and fax it to them.

Ex: let's say, I want to add pampers diapers size 1 - how would you do that?
If the item doesn't show up in the search then you can't use their automated price rewind feature. The only thing I've bought that I couldn't find on the price rewind search was an out of print board game. Everything else has come up.

That said, for example I just went to Amazon and typed in exactly what you wrote, "Pampers Diapers Size 1". I picked the first item that came up--https://www.amazon.com/Pampers-Swaddler ... e%2B1&th=1.

Then I just copied the item description from Amazon "Pampers Swaddlers Diapers Size 1, 216 Count" and pasted it into the price rewind search bar and the first result matched. Then I would click "track this item" and at the bottom of the page it says upload receipt, so I'd just drag and drop the PDF of the Amazon receipt. That's all you need to do. If you bought for example 5 different items, you'd start 5 different price rewind searches but just drag and drop the same receipt 5 times.

tampaite
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by tampaite » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:14 am

Jags4186 wrote:

Then I just copied the item description from Amazon "Pampers Swaddlers Diapers Size 1, 216 Count" and pasted it into the price rewind search bar and the first result matched. Then I would click "track this item" and at the bottom of the page it says upload receipt, so I'd just drag and drop the PDF of the Amazon receipt. That's all you need to do. If you bought for example 5 different items, you'd start 5 different price rewind searches but just drag and drop the same receipt 5 times.
What browser are you using?

I just tried and am getting a "We're sorry, but we are unable to search for products at this time. Please try again, or contact technical support at 1-866-918-4670." message.

takeshi
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by takeshi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:27 am

azurekep wrote:Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?
azurekep wrote:Are any of you finding bargains at Amazon? If so, what items, types or categories?
Bargain & value are 2 different things. Bargains seem to be less common but even so I still find value with Amazon because of convenience. In most cases their pricing is comparable even when I consider shipping & tax but returns with Amazon are also extremely easy. That said, for most large ticket items I'll purchase elsewhere unless there's a reputable Marketplace seller that doesn't charge sales tax. I also find camelcamelcamel to be helpful with some purchases on top of the usual price shopping with other sources.
MrNewEngland wrote:It's worth noting that if you get the Amazon credit card they give you 5% back on your Amazon purchases.
It was pointed out earlier in the thread but there is an Amazon store card issued by Synchrony and an Amazon Visa card issued by Chase. Both offer 5% but require Prime membership for the 5%. IIRC there is a bit of difference between the 2 on which transactions are eligible for 5%. The store card automatically issues a statement credit every cycle. Redemptions with the Chase card are manual and there is a minimum 2,000 point (5 points earned for each $1 on eligible Amazon purchases) requirement to redeem for statement credit.

Jags4186
Posts: 2259
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:42 am

tampaite wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

Then I just copied the item description from Amazon "Pampers Swaddlers Diapers Size 1, 216 Count" and pasted it into the price rewind search bar and the first result matched. Then I would click "track this item" and at the bottom of the page it says upload receipt, so I'd just drag and drop the PDF of the Amazon receipt. That's all you need to do. If you bought for example 5 different items, you'd start 5 different price rewind searches but just drag and drop the same receipt 5 times.
What browser are you using?

I just tried and am getting a "We're sorry, but we are unable to search for products at this time. Please try again, or contact technical support at 1-866-918-4670." message.
Chrome

User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1728
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by flamesabers » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:44 am

takeshi wrote:
MrNewEngland wrote:It's worth noting that if you get the Amazon credit card they give you 5% back on your Amazon purchases.
Note that there is an Amazon store card issued by Synchrony and an Amazon Visa card issued by Chase. Both offer 5% but require Prime membership for the 5%. IIRC there is a bit of difference between the 2 on which transactions are eligible for 5%. The store card automatically issues a statement credit every cycle. Redemptions with the Chase card are manual and there is a minimum 2,000 point (5 points earned for each $1 on eligible Amazon purchases) requirement to redeem for statement credit.
Between the two cards I prefer the store card. The store card doesn't have an expiration date and the 5% credit is automatically applied to the statement every billing cycle. I already have reward cards that beat the 2% cashback that the Amazon Visa offers on a select number of businesses.

For those who don't want to pay the prime membership fee, I think the Amazon Visa card is the better deal as you'll get 3% cashback on Amazon purchases. It's not quite as good as 5%, but it's still better then the standard 2% cashback cards.

Interesting enough, Walmart offers its own credit card that gives you 3% back on Walmart.com purchases. If only this was also good for in-store purchases, I would probably get the Walmart card.

azanon
Posts: 1842
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by azanon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:13 pm

I've noticed the deals getting gradually worse too (or deals elsewhere getting better), but "we" also took a big hit when Amazon started charging my state sales tax a few months ago, which ups the cost for anyone that wasn't already reporting use tax.

I don't intend to renew Prime when it comes due.

tibbitts
Posts: 7828
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by tibbitts » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:46 pm

I was looking at an item that was the same price at various retailers and amazon. Then amazon dropped the price so I ordered. The order came today, but the factory seal was broken and the item was very slightly scratched. In the process of returning I noticed price had dropped $2 so asked via chat if I could exchange but get the lower price. Chat rep said absolutely no way... so I'm returning and repurchasing at lower price. I was just trying to make it easier on them. They were making it into a price match issue but I wouldn't have even looked at the new price if I hadn't found the problem and wanted to return it. Seem curious.

So, amazon had the best price in this case, but I'm having to work a little to get it. Oh, this was an amazon-sold item, not 3rd party or just fulfilled by amazon. I do have Prime and have had amazon make some price adjustments in the past. That was not matching strictly, but they have lowered the price on an item when I had purchased an identical but defective item and couldn't use the "replace" option due to their website limitations (the price had risen since I had bought the item originally.)

UPDATE: Please see my update to this post later in this thread for a more positive customer experience.
Last edited by tibbitts on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

multiham
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:28 am

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by multiham » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:50 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Others also don't have Amazon's high processing overhead. You already noted their shipping costs. The cost-challenge actually starts upstream of that with the need to track and store an inventory of 10 gazillion individual products, then sort and ship them, not by the truckload to stores where the customer takes care of the last mile(s), but individually all the way to the customer.

This contributes to a high overhead for Amazon - looking at their 2016 annual report, it looks like right around 33% total overhead.

I've read elsewhere that retail in general usually has a 25-50% overhead, and you can bet that Walmart is near or possibly defines the bottom end of that. Maybe at some point I'll have to look at Walmart's 10-K to see if it provides similar clues as Amazon's does. I do know that Amazon had a 1.7% net profit margin last year, which was unusually (as in not part of their overall trend) good for them, compared to 2.8% for Walmart, which was a small decline.

That said, I shop at Amazon a lot more than I do Walmart. There are plenty of other stores I will miss much more if they succumb to the online market shift.
Absolutely agree with you on the storage costs. It's interesting that Way*Mart has "requested" that most of its suppliers pay a 2% depot fee. There was a time back in the late 90's early 2000's that Walmart was turning product so fast in many categories that they were selling the product quicker than they were paying their suppliers who typically had terms of 2% 20 days, net 21.

I do not shop at Walmart for personal reasons and love my experience with Amazon. I truly believe they are making all other retailers figure out how to give the consumer a better experience as most can't compete with them on price.

sharpjm
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:41 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by sharpjm » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:02 pm

multiham wrote:I do not shop at Walmart for personal reasons and love my experience with Amazon. I truly believe they are making all other retailers figure out how to give the consumer a better experience as most can't compete with them on price.
Couldn't. The word you are looking for is couldn't because this is past tense. 5 years ago the word was can't.

User avatar
celia
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by celia » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:35 pm

azanon wrote:..."we" also took a big hit when Amazon started charging my state sales tax a few months ago, which ups the cost for anyone that wasn't already reporting use tax.
Not being able to fairly compete with online shopping was a big complaint with the brick and mortar stores until Amazon was forced to collect sales tax. Maybe the pendulum will now swing in the other direction and the brick and mortars that are in danger of closing may bounce back. I know a few people who go out of their way to support a nearby gas station or other local business just so it doesn't go out of business. They may pay more, but they look at it as investing in their community.

madbrain
Posts: 4968
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by madbrain » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:36 pm

Sometimes. A few weeks ago, upon returning from vacation, the lamp on my 9 year old projector failed.
The first time I did a bulb replacement, OEM replacement used to be $300, and take about a week to arrive.
Second time I think was about $150 off ebay.
This time, I found a non-OEM bulb for $26, with same day delivery. Projector was back in business in less than 24 hours.
No, the bulb isn't equivalent in brightness to the OEM one, and takes longer to get there, but if I had to buy a bulb at the regular price, I would probably have been looking for a new projector. This was the 3rd bulb replacement over its lifetime.
I'm still waiting for a true 4K projector at a decent price, as I have been for a very long time.

User avatar
Jazztonight
Posts: 886
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Lake Merritt

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by Jazztonight » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:08 am

The only thing I hate more than shopping is when I have to return an item.

That's why I love Amazon. Returns (with Prime) are easy peasy, no hassle, just pack it up, slap on the label, and UPS picks it up.

I also love Costco--easy returns, no hassles or questions asked. But you do have to go there and wait on line sometimes

That said, you can't get gasoline at Amazon. Yet.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

Oreamnos
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by Oreamnos » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:24 am

azurekep wrote:doubled or tripled in price since I last bought them a year or so ago
Hmmmmm, "doubled or tripled".... Really?

madbrain
Posts: 4968
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by madbrain » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:37 am

Almost anything heavy is going to be overpriced on Amazon vs the same item in a brick and mortar store, if you can find it there, that is.

I bought some pool chemicals at Wal-mart for $4/lb and the same are from $6+ per lb on Amazon. And that was in 5-6 lb increments, not small size.

I sat in a long line at Walmart to buy this exact item below yesterday for about $23.

https://www.amazon.com/Pool-Spa-81006CL ... k+oxidizer

Amazon has it for $33 and "usually ships within 1-2 months" on this item. Go figure. What's the point of having Prime ?

Just goes to show Amazon just can't replace brick & mortar.

azurekep
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by azurekep » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:32 am

Oreamnos wrote:
azurekep wrote:doubled or tripled in price since I last bought them a year or so ago
Hmmmmm, "doubled or tripled".... Really?
Yes. That's not hyperbole. That's why I started the thread. I don't buy much on Amazon but when I've done so lately, the sticker shock has been fierce.

I don't think Amazon has heard of the Anchoring Effect. Even if the prices were still within the reasonable range, no way am I going to pay two or three times what I paid before.

*3!4!/5!
Posts: 1256
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:47 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by *3!4!/5! » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:06 am

Oreamnos wrote:
azurekep wrote:doubled or tripled in price since I last bought them a year or so ago
Hmmmmm, "doubled or tripled".... Really?
That's not even remotely remarkable. We routinely see prices increase 10-fold on items left sitting in our Amazon cart or saved for later list.

But even that is nothing compared to the extreme algorithm-driven price escalations on some items, e.g. a book on Amazon for $23,698,655.93 (plus $3.99 shipping).
http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4846
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by stemikger » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:53 am

I'm still happy with Amazon Prime. I get their version of Netflix for free, I save on shipping if what I buy is Prime eligible.

I also like to buy Amazon Essentials. So far, everything I bought from Amazon Essentials has been excellent and very well made.

I even buy my clothes on Amazon now. I found a nice pair of pants that fit and I buy them in a few different colors. I also found great polo shirts by Hanes which were a great bargain. Even if I had to pay more, I hate trying clothes on in stores, so it's worth it for me.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

User avatar
jharkin
Posts: 1695
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 am
Location: Boston suburbs

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by jharkin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:26 am

meowcat wrote:I don't do much buying on Amazon anymore. They used to be one of my favorite online retailers. Lately, though, they have become the worlds largest flea market. Too many third party sellers, peddling knock-off merchandise. I've been burned in the past purchasing items that were labeled original and in fact, were cheap fakes. The good thing about Amazon, though, is they will make it right, fast. Amazon gave me a full refund on some Weber (fake) burner tubes and the third party seller didn't even want them back! Also bought a bunch of Dickie's work pants. Can't prove they were knock-offs but they didn't last near as long as my last pairs.
This has happened to me also. Got some Epson print cartridges the machine rejected as fake and some Hanes undershirts that arrived loose with a texture like burlap. Even worse is they mix inventory of FBA sellers so it's not necessarily the outfit you purchased from fault.

We still use prime. Started when we had kids with the Amazon Mom service that gave us free prime and deep discounts on diapers etc... a lifesaver with twins. Stayed on prime later on with the amazon CC to enjoy the cheap shipping and now use the streaming video a lot. Used to be that even if the price was not the lowest the tax and shipping saving would edge in their favor, but now that prime went up to 99, they charge tax and they realized they have enough captive customers they don't need loss leader prices it's not the deal it once was.

I still shop there quite a bit but like others I price check now. Lots of electronic I get at Newegg or B&H instead. For everyday stuff we are trying to support our local merchants in town more. Etc. I'm on a first name basis with the owner of the local family hardware store and auto parts and I like that feeling more than saving a buck At AMZN.

Harley BenV
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:49 am

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by Harley BenV » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:59 am

Yeah I do find when I have to look on Amazon. But my online buying has drastically decline in term of physical products and there is surge on digital copies. It includes books, which I buy from Amazon mostly and console games.

User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1728
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by flamesabers » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:00 am

Jazztonight wrote:That said, you can't get gasoline at Amazon. Yet.
True, but unless Amazon plans on losing a lot of money to undercut the competition, I don't foresee this happening anytime soon. Gas stations already offer coupons for gas, plus there are plenty of credit cards that offer 5% cashback on gas station purchases. Also, at least in my area, a number of grocery stores offer a discount program for a specific chain of gas stations.
madbrain wrote:Almost anything heavy is going to be overpriced on Amazon vs the same item in a brick and mortar store, if you can find it there, that is.
My experience has been the same in this regard. I find cat litter to always be cheaper in brick and mortar stores then Amazon. Also, brick and mortar stores seem to frequently have cat litter on sale, thus widening the price gap even more.

azanon
Posts: 1842
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by azanon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:53 am

celia wrote:
azanon wrote:..."we" also took a big hit when Amazon started charging my state sales tax a few months ago, which ups the cost for anyone that wasn't already reporting use tax.
Not being able to fairly compete with online shopping was a big complaint with the brick and mortar stores until Amazon was forced to collect sales tax. Maybe the pendulum will now swing in the other direction and the brick and mortars that are in danger of closing may bounce back. I know a few people who go out of their way to support a nearby gas station or other local business just so it doesn't go out of business. They may pay more, but they look at it as investing in their community.
They still have some work to do, as far as that's concerned. Most other internet retailers without a business in my state still aren't collecting sales tax, and other retaliers selling through amazon aren't collecting taxes either.

You lost me on the gas stations comment; I haven't figured out how to buy gas online and I think it makes sense to buy your gas "nearby".

I don't totally get the "save the brick and mortar" movement, meaning maybe those types of businesses should be saved, such as newspapers as well. And I'm not sure I agree with the state earning a large portion of its revenue through sales. Our sales tax in AR is excessive, IMO.

researcher
Posts: 500
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Are you finding any good values at Amazon anymore?

Post by researcher » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:51 am

queso wrote:I'm a pretty big Amazon addict too. 2016 - 208 orders
Are you saying you placed an order with Amazon every 1.75 days in 2016?

How is this possible?

Post Reply