Best tool/technique for grill cleaning?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dowse

Best tool/technique for grill cleaning?

Post by dowse »

With all the negative publicity surrounding wire grill brushes, and a close call within my own family, I have sworn off any kind of wire grill brush. I am trying to decide what tool(s) to buy. What have BH'ers found to be effective and safe tools and methods for grill cleaning?
PFInterest

Re: Best tool/technique for grill cleaning?

Post by PFInterest »

Sponge. Onion. Hotter charcoal.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I recently began using a paint scraper. It is now my tool of choice.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

I use little copper colored scrubbing pads called Brillo Basics (no soap and much coarser than a regular Brillo pad) from the dollar store (3 for a $1). They seem to hold together ok and I probably get ten or so cleanings out of each before I toss it.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Turns out I just bought a metal brush thingie to clean the grill.

After having read about this (OP: it would have been useful to include a link) I have decided to continue to use the metal brush but to finish up with the sponge to brush off anything remaining.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Recently switched to GrillGrates, and they make a brush to get down in the grooves. Works fine.

Otherwise, as others, a putty knife/paint scraper.
mrc

Post by mrc »

I still use a wire brush, with twisted bristles (like a pipe cleaner, not a toothbrush). I think the risk driving home from the market with the steak is higher than swallowing a wire bristle.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

The grill wizard, beware of fakes.

http://www.grillwizard.com/prod.htm

The scrubber pads last a year or three if you rotate them to the least used parts and it really does clean much better than a wire brush because the scrub pads wrap around the grates. He says they don't work well on weber kettles due to the recessed grill but mine works fine. The high quality scrub pads are key. These are kind of like a woven chain mail not just a bunch of coiled up metal.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Do you clean grill when it is hot or cold? And after cooking do you try to burn off the residue?
My procedure is to use wire brush immediately after cooking then leave the burner on for 5 minutes or so to burn off the residue.
Bob
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

CABob wrote:Do you clean grill when it is hot or cold? And after cooking do you try to burn off the residue?
My procedure is to use wire brush immediately after cooking then leave the burner on for 5 minutes or so to burn off the residue.
After cooking I turn my (propane) grill off and go eat. I clean the grates after it gets hot while warming for the next cook.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

mrc wrote:I still use a wire brush, with twisted bristles (like a pipe cleaner, not a toothbrush). I think the risk driving home from the market with the steak is higher than swallowing a wire bristle.
Same here.

The toothbrush style is definitely bad.

I may use a paint scraper - or not clean at all! :beer
CABob

Post by CABob »

PFInterest wrote:Sponge. Onion. Hotter charcoal.
Onion???? This must be a technique I have not heard of. Elaborate please.
Bob
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

On my Kamado Joe, I either burn everything off at around 700F or so OR

I use this wooden grate cleaner if I'm in a hurry - works great!: http://amzn.to/2tCDpAs
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

I still use the metal brush. So far, haven't encountered loose metal. If something came lose, wouldn't it mostly fall through the grill? Or wouldn't you spot it?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/grill-barbe ... h-dangers/

Maybe I should be more concerned...
Topic Author
dowse

Post by dowse »

mrc wrote:I still use a wire brush, with twisted bristles (like a pipe cleaner, not a toothbrush). I think the risk driving home from the market with the steak is higher than swallowing a wire bristle.
Well, maybe so, but as I said, a family member already had a close call. He found a wire bristle in his mouth while eating a burger. Fortunately, he didn't swallow it. So, as far as I'm concerned, it's a high enough risk that I'm taking action to prevent it in the future.
klw084

Post by klw084 »

Every once in a while, I take heavy duty aluminum foil, lay it down on the grates shiny side down, and then turn the grill up for maybe 10-15 minutes.

Turns everything into ash which I then wipe off the next time I use my grill.
Childay

Post by Childay »

klw084 wrote:Every once in a while, I take heavy duty aluminum foil, lay it down on the grates shiny side down, and then turn the grill up for maybe 10-15 minutes.

Turns everything into ash which I then wipe off the next time I use my grill.
This supposedly can damage your grill, try googling about that. Newer grills apparently not built like old cast iron behemoths..

Myself I use the wire brush. I do check the grates to make sure no loose wires will get on the food.
destinationnc

Post by destinationnc »

JimmyD wrote:On my Kamado Joe, I either burn everything off at around 700F or so OR

I use this wooden grate cleaner if I'm in a hurry - works great!: http://amzn.to/2tCDpAs

I'm using a similar wooden cleaner on grill grates - works better than i thought it would. Cleans the surface great and I just push all the carbonized material between the grates to the back of the grill and occasionally take off the grates to dump it.
jdb

Post by jdb »

JimmyD wrote:On my Kamado Joe, I either burn everything off at around 700F or so OR

+1 as to the wooden grate cleaner for my Big Green Egg, picked one up at Costco. When using it first time on hot grill the grate burns tracks in the wood for future use.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

After grilling: Wire Brush, Wads of wet paper towels.

Before Next Grill Use: Wire Brush again, Wads of wet paper towels, Heat up the Grill

Boy, the psychology of this is amazing. I'm starting to feel wire bristles in my stomach! :happy
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Cleaning a grill makes it lose all its character. At most wire brush the cooking grill to get some of the heavy crud off then bang on it hard to make anything loose fall into the fire.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

I use a pellet grill-- jack that baby up, then clean it; haven't seen any evidence of wire fragments. Anything still on the cast iron grate is likely rendered innocuous.

I also, after cleaning, rub some olive oil on the grill-- that should have removed any remaining particulates.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

How do you remove all the tiny particles that are created when you scrape the grill? Almost prefer to leave alone.......if you do get something onthe
food, it is a large chunk you can easily see and remove. If you scrape, zillions of tiny particles are created that when transferred to the food are
impossible to remove. I've tried wiping w/ a damp paper towel which removes a lot but certainly not all. Have not tried oil that another suggested.
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

I've never had to use a wire-brush nor scouring pad.
I always oil my grill (or food) lightly with extra virgin olive oil.
After I remove the food, I set all burners on high for 5 mins.
I then use a water-soaked terry washcloth & tongs to "steam clean" the grates.