Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nectarineman
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by Nectarineman » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:50 am

In my area we have two choices, Verizon and Comcast. While a matter of taste on the TV side, the fios for someone who works from home like me is a no brainer and clearly better. I currently pay about $170/month with no annual commitment. Now I see $79.99 with the same tv package and 10x faster download/upload speeds but ONLY to new customers? With all add ons it is about $50 cheaper and WAY faster.

Has anyone seen their way around this short of cancelling and then re upping? The customer service person did not seem interested in making me a better offer.

Both companies do this, but man it gets on my last nerve.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3118
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:51 am

Are these terms permanent, or are they for a specified length of time? It's a common ploy used by all the providers, to offer sweet terms initially then jack them up horrendously after the honeymoon.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Jags4186
Posts: 2248
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:57 am

The simple answer is to just switch between Comcast and Verizon every two years. Yes it's a hassle but if you save $50/mo for 2 years that $1200 of aftertax money. If you make $50/hr at work and pay your 7.65% in FICA, 25% Federal, and 5% state taxes thats like working 38.5 hrs or basically a whole week for what amounts to 1 day of work/hassle.

It's to your advantage to take a day off work to make the switch.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

9liner
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by 9liner » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:59 am

A little more than a year ago, I went round and round with a Verizon rep over the same issue. I had been a reliable Verizon customer for almost 8 years. This didn't matter to them. They would not budge on the price despite the fact that "new" customers were realizing substantially greater savings. I ended up cancelling and placing the service in the wife's name in order to qualify for the promotional offer. I will probably have to do the same at the end of this promotional offer.

Nectarineman
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by Nectarineman » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:01 am

9liner wrote:A little more than a year ago, I went round and round with a Verizon rep over the same issue. I had been a reliable Verizon customer for almost 8 years. This didn't matter to them. They would not budge on the price despite the fact that "new" customers were realizing substantially greater savings. I ended up cancelling and placing the service in the wife's name in order to qualify for the promotional offer. I will probably have to do the same at the end of this promotional offer.
I have already done this once! Great minds think alike........... :D

Da5id
Posts: 2035
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by Da5id » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:06 am

Nectarineman wrote:
9liner wrote:A little more than a year ago, I went round and round with a Verizon rep over the same issue. I had been a reliable Verizon customer for almost 8 years. This didn't matter to them. They would not budge on the price despite the fact that "new" customers were realizing substantially greater savings. I ended up cancelling and placing the service in the wife's name in order to qualify for the promotional offer. I will probably have to do the same at the end of this promotional offer.
I have already done this once! Great minds think alike........... :D
The funny part is how heartbroken Verizon is after you actually do cancel. I cycle between Verizon, Comcast, and currently RCN. Verizon didn't believe I was going to cancel, and offered me nothing to stay. After cancelling, they came to my door wondering how I could have left the awesomeness that is Fios and what they could do to get me back. I think the best I was offered was $59.99 for basic triple play service (of course, that doesn't include rentals, fees, taxes, and other goodies, and was only good for first year). But as RCN gave me $35 for a year of 50 megabit internet and I don't need TV or phone (I have Ooma) so wasn't going back. Now in second year RCN is charging me $45, will see what happens when 2nd year deal expires. I own my modem, so the fee is it :) Competition is grand, and happy to be able to play them off against each other. Same story has happened with cellular, so many options and so easy to switch...

As to why they treat old customers first, it is because I assume historically that works. Even in areas with competition, people don't want the hassle of changing, even if the savings is pretty good. For those who complain, throwing in 6 months of HBO or something is often enough to placate them.

mpsz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by mpsz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:14 am

It's simple: once they get you in, most customers will stay because of momentum.
Nectarineman wrote:While a matter of taste on the TV side, the fios for someone who works from home like me is a no brainer and clearly better.
Depending on what you do, Comcast is more than adequate for 99% of people who work from home, such as myself. I have 200/10 which costs $88/mo. In my area Comcast's service quality is rock solid (I get 220/15 usually), despite the horrible reputation they have earned themselves.

ERISA Stone
Posts: 1480
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:54 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by ERISA Stone » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:27 am

My experience with other companies (Comcast and Directv come to mind) that it usually takes me calling to cancel services to get the promotional rate. Maybe I don't get the lowest of the lows deal, but I am usually satisfied with that I get in return for about 30 minutes worth of hassle.

mouses
Posts: 3506
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by mouses » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:54 am

Da5id wrote:Verizon didn't believe I was going to cancel, and offered me nothing to stay. After cancelling, they came to my door wondering how I could have left the awesomeness that is Fios and what they could do to get me back.
Verizon came uninvited and without advance notice to my door more than once when they started getting rid of copper landlines in my area and I had told them I was keeping mine. I think the term for that is, what a lot of nerve.

User avatar
Clever_Username
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by Clever_Username » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:07 am

I don't know, Verizon treated me pretty poorly as a potential customer. I inquired about FIOS service, found out in my then-area it was slower than traditional cable internet, so I declined. They sent me a bill for the call!

I didn't pay and challenging it was a hassle.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_

kpeercy
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:04 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by kpeercy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:49 am

This isn't a Verizon problem. It's a problem with telecom/TV companies overall. Dish, DirecTV, all cable companies, etc. give the best rates to new customers and treat existing ones like dirt. That's why they either lower my bill to match every so often or I switch. That's the key. You must actually be willing to switch and not just threaten it. A couple of years ago, a Dish rep told me they were lowering my bill for 6 months only and I'd just have to pay the higher cost after that. I told her I'd be switching in 6 months, which I did. Dish then tried everything int he world to get me to stay when I called to cancel. They even called me back a couple of days later. My response was that they should've been trying to keep me before instead of telling me to deal with costs. They have no answer for that.

runner3081
Posts: 1484
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by runner3081 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:59 am

Unfortunately, they can keep doing this because most people are sheep and just keep paying their ever-increasing bills (similar to auto/home insurance as well).
Last edited by runner3081 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

boglegirl
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by boglegirl » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:00 am

mpsz wrote:It's simple: once they get you in, most customers will stay because of momentum.
Nectarineman wrote:While a matter of taste on the TV side, the fios for someone who works from home like me is a no brainer and clearly better.
Depending on what you do, Comcast is more than adequate for 99% of people who work from home, such as myself. I have 200/10 which costs $88/mo. In my area Comcast's service quality is rock solid (I get 220/15 usually), despite the horrible reputation they have earned themselves.
I agree - my husband works from home and needs a very good connection to "HQ", and cable has been great. We pay too much because it's the only option in our neighborhood other than DSL - I wish we could get FIOS so I could switch back & forth every year or two!

mhalley
Posts: 5924
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by mhalley » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:17 am

This applies to multiple industries, from cell phones, cable, insurance, burglar alarm,etc. Most people don't want the hassle of switching back and forth, so the co increase the fees constantly. I confess I am one of the lazy ones and pay too much for most of the above.
Edit to add gym membership to the list.
Last edited by mhalley on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1540
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by F150HD » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:20 am

mouses wrote:
Verizon came uninvited and without advance notice to my door more than once when they started getting rid of copper landlines in my area and I had told them I was keeping mine. I think the term for that is, what a lot of nerve.
Most new homes are built w/ fiber now instead- its becoming the new standard. I had a fiber line dropped to my house. Only a matter of time before I would have to anyway. Net speed is XXXX more improved and reliable.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1540
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by F150HD » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 am

Nectarineman wrote:In my area we have two choices, Verizon and Comcast. While a matter of taste on the TV side, the fios for someone who works from home like me is a no brainer and clearly better. I currently pay about $170/month with no annual commitment. Now I see $79.99 with the same tv package and 10x faster download/upload speeds but ONLY to new customers? With all add ons it is about $50 cheaper and WAY faster.
Sprint does the same w/ their deals (phones, not TV). Feel your pain (FYP)

User avatar
JamesSFO
Posts: 3084
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by JamesSFO » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:23 am

Nectarineman wrote:In my area we have two choices, Verizon and Comcast. While a matter of taste on the TV side, the fios for someone who works from home like me is a no brainer and clearly better. I currently pay about $170/month with no annual commitment. Now I see $79.99 with the same tv package and 10x faster download/upload speeds but ONLY to new customers? With all add ons it is about $50 cheaper and WAY faster.

Has anyone seen their way around this short of cancelling and then re upping? The customer service person did not seem interested in making me a better offer.

Both companies do this, but man it gets on my last nerve.
FWIW, I agree; the problem is the companies look at the discount as a customer acquisition cost, e.g. we'll spend $400 over 2 years to acquire this customer without thinking about what it looks like 2 years in when you are paying a higher rate than a new customer. I do find at least with comcast if you say "retention" enough times they will transfer you to someone empowered to basically give you the new customer deal...

invst65
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by invst65 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:40 am

Like others have said, I just have to switch providers every couple of years. My $40 monthly credit from the last switch is up in October so I'll probably be doing it again soon.

In my neighborhood what used to be Verizon is now Frontier. Brighthouse has become Spectrum. We also have WOW which has the best rates of all but don't offer the foreign language programming (Filipino) my wife wants which is a bummer so I have to go with one of the other two.

As others have said you have to prove to them you are serious about switching to another provider before they will offer to lower your rate. The problem with that is that once I go to all the trouble of arranging to switch I'm not going to change my mind and give them another chance. Speaking of Verizon, I encountered the most rude person on the phone I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with when I told him I wasn't going to change my mind. He was apparently the guy they transfer you to when you call to cancel and there was no way to avoid talking to him. I have had other unpleasant dealings with that company in the past which I won't go into but they've known for a long time that they have a customer service problem and only give lip service to fixing it. I'm glad they are now gone from our area.

rgs92
Posts: 2070
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by rgs92 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:14 pm

Dish, Cablevision, and even Sirius do the same thing. It seems to be the nature of the business. You can go to the trouble of switching every few years if you want to put up with the inconvenience/rewiring if necessary. (Well, not with Sirius, which is a monopoly.) I have many friends who do this, and it seems to be a common practice.

Verizon has been very decent and reliable to deal with for me over the years, but they don't offer permanent unprofitable intro offers for life. They wouldn't be a viable company if they did.

User avatar
siamond
Posts: 4028
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by siamond » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Verizon is basically following the pattern defined by Comcast and the other cable companies many years ago. I've met with various Comcast teams multiple times in the course of my work (not the sales/marketing guys, the network guys), and geez, the company culture is just absolutely horrendous, a bunch of arrogant jerks with zero respect for customers, the worst I have ever seen. Why doesn't Verizon (a company with a much better culture) see that there is a clear opportunity to differentiate, I will never understand.

Anyhoo, the FiOS infrastructure is way superior to anything cable, so I stick with Verizon, but I stop the TV service a couple of months every two years (e.g. when they jack up the price), just keeping Internet (with Netflix and Amazon) and using a cheap antenna to watch a couple of shows on public channels. Then I am a new customer again, and I get the proper terms. I am right in this period, actually, and I am not even sure I'll restore FiOS TV this time. I just have had enough with marketing gimmicks.

If I could find a cheap way to exclude Comcast and their ilk from my TSM holdings, I would happily do so.

User avatar
Go Blue 99
Posts: 821
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by Go Blue 99 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:47 pm

Selfishly, I actually like that tv providers do this. It's an incentive for long-time customers to call in and negotiate a better deal. If they gave all customers a good deal, then I wouldn't be able to score the huge discounts I get from DIRECTV every year.

inbox788
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by inbox788 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:14 pm

kpeercy wrote:This isn't a Verizon problem. It's a problem with telecom/TV companies overall. Dish, DirecTV, all cable companies, etc. give the best rates to new customers and treat existing ones like dirt. That's why they either lower my bill to match every so often or I switch. That's the key. You must actually be willing to switch and not just threaten it. A couple of years ago, a Dish rep told me they were lowering my bill for 6 months only and I'd just have to pay the higher cost after that. I told her I'd be switching in 6 months, which I did. Dish then tried everything int he world to get me to stay when I called to cancel. They even called me back a couple of days later. My response was that they should've been trying to keep me before instead of telling me to deal with costs. They have no answer for that.
You are the exception. Many old customers are too lazy and don't really switch. Many dole out empty threats, and complain and stew, but remain complacent. These companies aren't really worried about the switchers because they hop back and forth between competitors, and they're used to this game. They know they'll get a share of the switchers and are fighting hard to get their share. The thing they're really worried about are the cable cutters and that's something they've yet to figure out. What was once a necessity have become a convenience. First went the landline, and now cable is going the same route. Do you know that if you want an old fashioned land line (POTS) it will cost you $50-60/month! (the only thing going for it is regulated performance during a prolonged power outage, and with all the cost cutting, I bet that's going to become an issue)
http://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/ ... -a-crisis/
https://arstechnica.com/business/2015/0 ... one-lines/

Ultimately, it's not so much that they go out of their way to mistreat their old customers, but that they neglect them and focus the attention on attaining new customers. The best defense is a good offense strategy. And as long as the overall customer count is improved, they'll sacrifice some old customers. Practically, they can't tell which old customer will become a switcher or cord cutter, so much of the retention effort is wasted, whereas a higher proportion of effort spent taking share from other competitors is more productive and profitable; customer experience be damned.

User avatar
Clever_Username
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by Clever_Username » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:49 pm

siamond wrote:If I could find a cheap way to exclude Comcast and their ilk from my TSM holdings, I would happily do so.
You could hold an equivalent short position after calculating just how much Comcast stock you own (total TSM * their % of total market). This may or may not achieve what you're looking for though.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_

Oblivious
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by Oblivious » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:00 pm

JamesSFO wrote:
Nectarineman wrote:In my area we have two choices, Verizon and Comcast. While a matter of taste on the TV side, the fios for someone who works from home like me is a no brainer and clearly better. I currently pay about $170/month with no annual commitment. Now I see $79.99 with the same tv package and 10x faster download/upload speeds but ONLY to new customers? With all add ons it is about $50 cheaper and WAY faster.

Has anyone seen their way around this short of cancelling and then re upping? The customer service person did not seem interested in making me a better offer.

Both companies do this, but man it gets on my last nerve.
FWIW, I agree; the problem is the companies look at the discount as a customer acquisition cost, e.g. we'll spend $400 over 2 years to acquire this customer without thinking about what it looks like 2 years in when you are paying a higher rate than a new customer. I do find at least with comcast if you say "retention" enough times they will transfer you to someone empowered to basically give you the new customer deal...

This and unfortunately Verizon is a publicly traded company. The market rewards growth more than stable profit or stable declining profit.

All the threads at bogleheads that are searching for growth in small caps/emerging markets/US growth/etc. kind of highlights this.

mouses
Posts: 3506
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by mouses » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:27 pm

F150HD wrote:
mouses wrote:
Verizon came uninvited and without advance notice to my door more than once when they started getting rid of copper landlines in my area and I had told them I was keeping mine. I think the term for that is, what a lot of nerve.
Most new homes are built w/ fiber now instead- its becoming the new standard. I had a fiber line dropped to my house. Only a matter of time before I would have to anyway. Net speed is XXXX more improved and reliable.
Kiss your FIOS phone service goodbye during power outages, however, like the one in my area that lasted about a week as a result of sandy. Only we prehistoric copper landline people had phone service. Even cell phones were not working for some reason. I think doing away with copper landlines is a real safety mess, given that natural disasters will only be increasing in the coming years.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1540
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by F150HD » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:12 pm

mouses wrote:
Kiss your FIOS phone service goodbye during power outages, however, like the one in my area that lasted about a week as a result of sandy. Only we prehistoric copper landline people had phone service. Even cell phones were not working for some reason. I think doing away with copper landlines is a real safety mess, given that natural disasters will only be increasing in the coming years.
if I don't have power being on the internet is the least of my worries. Sounds like you're angrily against fiber? (not talking about your diet)

Do you still listen to 8 track tapes? if not, why not? similar argument. :D

rgs92
Posts: 2070
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by rgs92 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:36 pm

A generator or UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) on your FIOS battery backup box should keep things running. I don't have a problem during power outages with FIOS.

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 36159
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:38 pm

I don't know why Verizon does this, but, basically, it is why I am no longer using Verizon.
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 46697
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:39 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (ISP).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

masteraleph
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:45 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by masteraleph » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:59 pm

As a couple of others have noted- try getting to the retention people (that is, the people who can actually do a cancellation). Customer service doesn't have access to making you offers in the same way.

I'm on the opposite end, with Optimum. Every year, I call in, tell them I'm switching to FIOS if they won't re-up my promotional discount. Somehow, it always gets re-upped.

takeshi
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by takeshi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:43 am

Nectarineman wrote:Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?
It's not just Verizon by a long shot. Many companies work to lure in new customers with offers. If you're an existing customer and you want a better deal then get in touch with the company's retention department or try a bill negotiating service.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3959
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:48 am

I've got the current issue with Comcast. In the past we were successful using new-customer Verizon pricing to get Comcast to drop down to a reasonable discount but this year they just wouldn't budge (they did discount down to a point but are $50 more than Verizon for the same service-levels). Even when I told Comcast we were going to cancel and switch they said there was nothing more than they could do (every previous year this always did the trick on getting a better price). Thus we are switching from Comcast to Verizon and have pricing locked in with Verizon for 2 years. I assume in 2 years we might have to switch back to Comcast. Its a pain swapping out all the equipment but to save $50 monthly for 2 years its worthwhile.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3118
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:55 am

mouses wrote:
Da5id wrote:Verizon didn't believe I was going to cancel, and offered me nothing to stay. After cancelling, they came to my door wondering how I could have left the awesomeness that is Fios and what they could do to get me back.
Verizon came uninvited and without advance notice to my door more than once when they started getting rid of copper landlines in my area and I had told them I was keeping mine. I think the term for that is, what a lot of nerve.
AT&T never came to my door, but they did hound me quite a bit with emails and snail mail claiming how great it would be if I would move to U-verse (we had a copper-pair POTS line with DSL riding on it, I think AT&T is trying to get rid of all their old POTS service).

Finally took the plunge with U-verse when I found I could get ten times the data cap for about $20 less per month than I was paying for POTS/DSL. I have a statement here in writing from them that this will be a permanent rate, not a "honeymoon" deal. We'll see.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

User avatar
just frank
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:13 pm
Location: Philly Metro

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by just frank » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:30 am

I've decided that all these Comcast-Verizon threads are a big waste of time vis-a-vis advice given.

Bottom line is that they use a different business model (in terms of aggressive suckiness) on a district by district basis where the guy one town over will get entirely different treatment and deals and pricing than you will. Let alone someone from two states over.

Try to figure out what these companies will charge you...is it a flat, nationally advertized rate....nope. Rather its a teaser to a link that will tell you your personal special deal AFTER you put in your street address, not before.

There are plenty of customers that will get literally demonic treatment, and then some guy on here likes to boast that he just calls them and sweet-talks them into a better deal every 6 mos. :beer

Duh. :annoyed

If I lived where you lived I would do that too. But I don't, and here they hold people captive and charge them whatever they like (which is usually within a few dollars per mo of what the one other company serving the same district charges).

User avatar
AAA
Posts: 991
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:56 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by AAA » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:54 am

I can understand using lower prices to get new customers, but it does rankle me to be charged more for being a long-time FIOS user. I usually call up their "retention" department once a year to complain when some little discount they gave me expires and they usually placate me, although if I remember correctly their generosity has declined somewhat in recent years.

The whole industry has crazy pricing schemes. When my daughter moved into an apt., she only needed internet - she has no t.v. and uses her cell phone. It was cheaper to get a package deal that included t.v. and phone.

ArmchairArchitect
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:19 am

We've had nothing but issues with our internet despite multiple attempts to resolve. That, plus initial billing issues. Never had this stuff happen with Comcast. Switching back to Comcast as soon as our Verizon contract is up.

camden
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by camden » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:57 pm

The practice of treating long term customers poorly seems ubiquitous in the telecommunications and insurance industries. It really galls me, though I admit to being one of those getting fleeced. I hate to negioate every year like I'm in an Istanbul bazaar, and to me it is just not worth the hassle of switching frequently to save a few bucks, so I guess it's my own fault.

I would, however, switch my business gladly to any company which would publicly promise NOT to do what is currently being done; one that would pledge to always give existing customers as good a rate as new customers, and perhaps a slightly better one when you had been with them X number of years. I'd switch for that, and I don't think I'd be alone. I think a company could make it their corporate mantra, perhaps with an advertising campaign similar to Southwest Airlines "bags fly free", ridiculing competitors for treating their best customers so badly.

I don't know much about the financial aspects of those industries, but in the long run, treating your customers well is usually a winning strategy.

User avatar
fizxman
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by fizxman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:34 pm

I was told (by someone at Verizon I think) that these companies are gauged on how many new customers they bring in, not by the total number. If they bring in X new customers in a year, their stock goes up. Doesn't matter that they may have lost the same amount during the year. If this is true, it boggles the mind.

TBillT
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by TBillT » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:11 pm

We got in a big fight with Verizon when they put a cable cover in the middle of our front lawn a few years back.
It was a one-sided fight, as Verizon completely ignored us, even ignored our elected officials who stepped to the plate for us.
Our elected officials said the only action we could take (short of court action) was file a complaint on the record, and so they filed that for us.
But it seems like there was no attempt by Verizon to keep everyone happy. And our HOA agreed with Verizon, saying we had no rights, period.

azurekep
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by azurekep » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:57 pm

siamond wrote:Verizon is basically following the pattern defined by Comcast and the other cable companies many years ago. I've met with various Comcast teams multiple times in the course of my work (not the sales/marketing guys, the network guys), and geez, the company culture is just absolutely horrendous, a bunch of arrogant jerks with zero respect for customers, the worst I have ever seen. Why doesn't Verizon (a company with a much better culture) see that there is a clear opportunity to differentiate, I will never understand.
You mean all those Customer Satisfaction Surveys we filled out after those technical support reps read their canned scripts so nicely and with perfect diction have not resulted in a better company? :confused :confused :confused

User avatar
fandango
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Greater Atlanta area

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by fandango » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:15 pm

I renegotiate my Comcast deal every year. I currently pay $129 for a bundle (telephone, internet, and HD TV).

When the rate goes up, I call them that I would like to stay with Comcast, but the rate is too high. I compare it to a rate for a new AT&T customer. They cut the rate to where it was before or lower, and life goes on. The process takes about 10 minutes.

I have a good payment record, and they would like to keep a reliable customer.

SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 733
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:31 pm

mouses wrote:
F150HD wrote: Kiss your FIOS phone service goodbye during power outages, however, like the one in my area that lasted about a week as a result of sandy. Only we prehistoric copper landline people had phone service. Even cell phones were not working for some reason. I think doing away with copper landlines is a real safety mess, given that natural disasters will only be increasing in the coming years.
Even POTS power relies on batteries in the central office -- and those do run out too. Plus, if you have above ground phone lines, those are likely to go down when there's a major hurricane like Sandy.

Verizon Wireless was rock solid for me during Sandy. And it was useful in surfing the Internet to see weather reports, news and when the utility would get around to fixing power.

SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 733
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Jags4186 wrote:The simple answer is to just switch between Comcast and Verizon every two years. Yes it's a hassle but if you save $50/mo for 2 years that $1200 of aftertax money.
It's to your advantage to take a day off work to make the switch.
Why 2 years ? Does that assume you have signed a 2 year contract when you switched to (say) Comcast, or does your original carrier (say Verizon) not offer the service to you if you've been a customer in the last 2 years ? Might it be more worthwhile to switch every year. Of course, there is the extra install fee every year -- but it might be easier for them to light it up if you had service in the past and maybe you could even do it yourself.

Gnirk
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:11 am
Location: Western Washington

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by Gnirk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:16 am

How wonderful to have a choice of cable providers.....even if that choice is limited. We have one cable provider: Comcast. Or we can choose a service that includes installing lots of exterior cableing and a satellite dish. :annoyed

Goal33
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by Goal33 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:21 am

Yes. I could not take it anymore and cut the cord completely.

I use my neighbors unsecured wifi (yes, I understand the risk, but realistically there is none)

I bought an antenna for some local channels.

I pay for Netflix. I sometimes signup for amazon prime. I sometimes signup for hbogo.

:)
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

User avatar
stickman731
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:42 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by stickman731 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:45 am

I just had an instance with my Verizon Fios bill. Got an e-mail saying it was past due (not a scam e-mail - it was verifiable). So I checked my account on their website, it stated paid in full.

So I tried the "virtual assistance/chat" function but it did not work.

So I began to look for the customer service phone number to speak with a person just to make sure. I found it amazing that all the customer service phone numbers have disappear off their paper bills.

I reviewed my old bills. They removed them in July 2016, and now they cannot be found anywhere on the bill. Only website urls are listed. I just wonder what my 82 yr mom without a computer would do??

I complained to the CSR and her supervisor and interestingly this month bill had the 1-800-Verizon listed and a phone number if you are moving.

For those whom may need the number - it is 1-800-837-4966.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1540
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by F150HD » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:41 am

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
mouses wrote:
F150HD wrote: Kiss your FIOS phone service goodbye during power outages, however, like the one in my area that lasted about a week as a result of sandy. Only we prehistoric copper landline people had phone service. Even cell phones were not working for some reason. I think doing away with copper landlines is a real safety mess, given that natural disasters will only be increasing in the coming years.
Even POTS power relies on batteries in the central office -- and those do run out too. Plus, if you have above ground phone lines, those are likely to go down when there's a major hurricane like Sandy.

Verizon Wireless was rock solid for me during Sandy. And it was useful in surfing the Internet to see weather reports, news and when the utility would get around to fixing power.
just want to clarify, the text in red is not 'my' post, I was quoting someone else.

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:20 am

fizxman wrote:I was told (by someone at Verizon I think) that these companies are gauged on how many new customers they bring in, not by the total number. If they bring in X new customers in a year, their stock goes up. Doesn't matter that they may have lost the same amount during the year. If this is true, it boggles the mind.
Trust me, analysts that cover the telecommunications and cable market focus on more than just the new customers number. Hopefully you are not making stock investment decisions within the sector based solely on new customer numbers...
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

chabil
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm
Location: North of Boston

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by chabil » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:31 am

Bump!
New complaint about Verizon. Our contract expired and our rate went up but I let it ride for a year simply due to inertia and the hassle.
Finally called customer service (forgot about the retention) was directed to some outpost in the Philippines. They must purposely pick staff with badly accented English and who cannot say anything other than a rote message. He offered to cut my bill by 15.00,
So I went to Comcast. In the switching process I had to 'port' the number for my land line or suffer a new number. That took some doing because there are are no contact numbers to call Verizon about it. Comcast managed it and I got installed. It took me 2.5 days and several hours on hold with Verizon to finally get my service cancelled and they will not refund me for 1 day delay that was caused by their own awful system. There is no other way than to call between Mon and Friday, leave your number for a call back, and then they call back the next day and put you on hold. UUUGH.
If they can play the game I can too. I am retired and have all the time. I am already planning how I will streamline my switch back to Verizon when our contract is up in 2 years.

HopeToGolf
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:04 pm

Re: Verizon- Why do they treat old customers worse?

Post by HopeToGolf » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:46 am

They treat old customers worse because they can. Most do not switch or get the better deals.

I just became a cord cutter and even the internet only price was 2x that of a new customer. What I did was my wife became the “new customer.” It did cost me some time. I had to work from home the morning they came to install the fiber. Next year I will be the “new customer” and hopefully this time the only time involved is a call and they won’t need to show up at the house for a rewire. What I found interesting is the installer didn’t even blink twice when removing the old FIOS equipment for a “new” customer.

The cost savings is not worth my time if you use the I get paid $x per hour and it cost me x hours to get the savings. That said, one way I started to think about these things is to quantify the savings in terms of buying something I value....i.e. a new phone a year, 3 Xbox consoles for my offspring, 1/4 of a vacation, etc.

Post Reply