Buying a dishwasher

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
genjix

Buying a dishwasher

Post by genjix »

Hi all

I want to buy a dishwasher in the $500 range or lower. What are some key features I should be looking at? Any recommended brands over others?

Edit*
Doesn't need to be water efficient
Doesn't need to be whisper quiet as it's not open floor plan
Last edited by genjix on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barnaclebob

Re: Buying a dishwasher

Post by barnaclebob »

The common recommendations are Miele or Bosch but $500 would be in the lower end of their models if they even go that low. FWIW my really old kenmore cleans really well and has given me 8 years of trouble free service in addition to however long the previous owners had it, potentially another 5-10 years. I don't know if they make them well still or not.
destinationnc

Post by destinationnc »

barnaclebob wrote:The common recommendations are Miele or Bosch but $500 would be in the lower end of their models if they even go that low. FWIW my really old kenmore cleans really well and has given me 8 years of trouble free service in addition to however long the previous owners had it, potentially another 5-10 years. I don't know if they make them well still or not.
We've got the low end Bosch and I wouldn't recommend it - go with GE or Frigidaire at that price point. When we decide to replace our current Bosch we're going with the Bosch 800 model series - under $900 with no tax & free shipping at Ajmadison dot com. It's a splurge but we really want the third rack and near silence while running. We hope to have it for 10 years, so it makes sense to make the investment versus two $500 units replaced every 5 years.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

The house I purchased came with all new Samsung appliances, which included a dishwasher.

I don't use it as often as most families, but I will say that it does a very good job of thoroughly cleaning dishes and it's very quiet.

Just be sure to use a quality detergent and rinse aid. No complaints.
marti038

Post by marti038 »

genjix wrote:Hi all

I want to buy a dishwasher in the $500 range or lower. What are some key features I should be looking at? Any recommended brands over others?
I bought a Samsung a few years ago and I hate it. It is very efficient with the use of water which is probably why I end up rewashing a lot of my dishes after they've been "washed". It is quiet and looks nice, but that's the only nice thing I have to say about it.

My recommendation is to buy Samsung TV's, not kitchen appliances.
homerj15

Post by homerj15 »

Can't go wrong with Bosch! Mine us super quiet and does great!
prudent

Post by prudent »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The key feature for me is that the dishwasher is quiet. That means, you are standing next to it while it is running and you cannot tell it is running. Quietness is super super important if your home, condo, or apartment has a so-called "open floor plan" where you can see the kitchen sink from the family room.

Another key feature is that you are not supposed to rinse off the dishes before putting them into the dishwasher, but they still come out clean. Chunks of food are collected in a little basket to dispose of later.

You would like the racks to not rust, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Bosch
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

According to Consumer Reports, top 3 brands in terms of reliability are Bosch, Whirpool, and Miele.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Asko. Bought Lowest end dishwasher in their brand. Never thought I would pay so much, but has worked like a champ.
sport

Post by sport »

Be sure to get one with powder coated racks instead of plastic dipped racks. There is an earlier thread about the racks rusting in a dishwasher and how replacement racks cost almost as much as a new unit. The way to determine this is to look at the expensive models and see what kind of racks they have.
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

Look at a Kitchenaid since they invented the dishwasher.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

badbreath wrote:Look at a Kitchenaid since they invented the dishwasher.
This means nothing. Kodak invented the digital camera.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Spend the money for a quiet one.

Get one with an adjustable height top rack.

Call up the local appliance repairman and ask which brand he recommends. In my area, you can't get parts for certain brands meaning it is impossible to get repaired if necessary. They also know which brands they have to repair most often.
sport

Post by sport »

badbreath wrote:Look at a Kitchenaid since they invented the dishwasher.
Kitchenaid is a good brand. However, it is no longer an independent company. The name is used by Whirlpool for upscale models .
SleepKing

Post by SleepKing »

Bosch.
Your price range is fine. Spend a little more and the quieter it will operate.

Look for capacity need, noise level and optional third rack if you need.

All appliances(except speed queen) really are disposable products now adays. If you get 5 years from entry to mid legel thats good. 8 years for upper end. This comes from appliance repair tech we had out to fix our newer (3 yras old) top of line LG refrigerator and dryer....

He recommended only getting standard sizes, since replacement frequency is higjer than in the old days. His angriest customers are ones who spent premium prices for custom fitted high end brands....that still break within that time frame...

Sleepy
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

lthenderson wrote:Spend the money for a quiet one.

Call up the local appliance repairman and ask which brand he recommends. In my area, you can't get parts for certain brands meaning it is impossible to get repaired if necessary. They also know which brands they have to repair most often.
+ 1, and +1 on Asko (but is more than your price point) - quiet, superb cleaning, can put plastic on all racks as it does not use a heating coil like most.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I'm kind of hijacking this post (sorry!) but I'm also in the market for a dishwasher.

We currently have a Miele that came with the house, about 10 yrs old now. My wife hates it. It's really bad at removing anything even slightly thickened from plates, which means you have to scrub a few plates and esp utensils before or after on a fairly regular basis (about 10% of the load is affected).

I've done all the requisite cleaning - have used citric acid to descale it (we had a bad scaling problem in the past but improved dramatically after citric acid and more importantly, switching detergent brands), have made sure the drain and basket are always clear, and that the rotating spray arms aren't clogged. Had a repair guy confirm I was doing this properly 2 yrs ago when the console broke and needed to be replaced.

I'll add that we have a tankless hot water heater, and I'm not sure it gets the water quite hot enough, although admittedly, I have no clue of how how the water is supposed to be in a dishwasher.

I can afford to buy a good model - I just don't want to buy a brand new dishwasher, just to have the same exact problems I do now, either because of incorrect usage, or water temps that are too low.

In either case, if anyone could give advice as to whether you suspect buying a new dishwasher would solve my problems, or not, would be greatly appreciated.

Thx, sorry about the thread hijack
tacster

Post by tacster »

Bought a Samsung DW80K7050US dishwasher a year ago for around $600. It does a very good job of cleaning and drying the dishes and is nearly silent. Really like the 3rd rack on top for silverware. No issues or problems at all. I am completely satisfied with it.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

Our last Bosch lasted 7 years (which, I was told by the salesman, is how long dishwashers are designed to last since that is the amount of time most people are in a home. What a coincidence!)

We now have a Miele and love it. It ain't $500, though. If you want it to last, more expensive dishwashers tend to be better made and quieter.

EDIT: If you get a dw with a top rack (for silverware) make sure it has a top spinner as well. Otherwise you will enjoy food stuck to your silverware. My $.02.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We've had good luck with the reliability of GE dishwashers and also like the layout for loading. They also seem to dry better than many. The last one we bought new was 5+ years ago. We tend to buy mid-line models as we usually don't value all the bells and whistles. Look nice and wash/dry well are our priorities.

Now (July 4th sales) and Labor Day are good times to buy appliances. The difference between 'regular' and sale prices can be hundreds of dollars.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

lightheir wrote:I'm kind of hijacking this post (sorry!) but I'm also in the market for a dishwasher.

We currently have a Miele that came with the house, about 10 yrs old now. My wife hates it. It's really bad at removing anything even slightly thickened from plates, which means you have to scrub a few plates and esp utensils before or after on a fairly regular basis (about 10% of the load is affected).

I've done all the requisite cleaning - have used citric acid to descale it (we had a bad scaling problem in the past but improved dramatically after citric acid and more importantly, switching detergent brands), have made sure the drain and basket are always clear, and that the rotating spray arms aren't clogged. Had a repair guy confirm I was doing this properly 2 yrs ago when the console broke and needed to be replaced.

I'll add that we have a tankless hot water heater, and I'm not sure it gets the water quite hot enough, although admittedly, I have no clue of how how the water is supposed to be in a dishwasher.

I can afford to buy a good model - I just don't want to buy a brand new dishwasher, just to have the same exact problems I do now, either because of incorrect usage, or water temps that are too low.

In either case, if anyone could give advice as to whether you suspect buying a new dishwasher would solve my problems, or not, would be greatly appreciated.

10 years is old, and appliance repair is costly. If you got 10 good years out of it, get a new one. The water should be 140 degrees at least for thorough cleaning. Our Miele notes that on some settings (Express) the water may not get hot enough to get off tough food scraps. That has not been our experience, however. It works well. It is about a year old now.
verbose

Post by verbose »

Ten years pre-dates the removal of phosphates from dishwasher detergents. That happened in 2010. All detergents were quietly "new and improved." My dishwasher stopped cleaning dishes at that time. I've been extending the dishwasher's usefulness by buying Bubble Bandit dishwasher detergent from Amazon. It has phosphates in it. Note that some states have outlawed this kind of detergent for household use--my state (Missouri) has not.

It sounds like your dishwasher was designed to rely on enzyme detergents (aka phosphates).
lightheir wrote:I'm kind of hijacking this post (sorry!) but I'm also in the market for a dishwasher.

Masterblaster

Post by Masterblaster »

If you buy one of those super "quiet" models be prepared to deal with clogged filters and issues with poor cleaning. If you can stand a bit of noise a model with an older technology erator (mini disposal) will not have the clogged/performance issues and generally perform better. In addition the erator models just may cost less too.
Another older technology feature worth having is a wash heat boost/dryer coil. Many of the new models have removed this for energy efficiency. Models without the heat coil may not clean well enough. Also without the heat coil to dry the dishes at the end of the cycle the dishes when you take them out will be quite wet. Again models with this feature juts may cost less than the high end ones.

If you doubt my take on the filter clog issue and the lack of a heater/drying coil just take a look at any appliance forum and see all the complaints.
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

Masterblaster wrote:
If you buy one of those super "quiet" models be prepared to deal with clogged filters and issues with poor cleaning. If you can stand a bit of noise a model with an older technology erator (mini disposal) will not have the clogged/performance issues and generally perform better. In addition the erator models just may cost less too.
Another older technology feature worth having is a wash heat boost/dryer coil. Many of the new models have removed this for energy efficiency. Models without the heat coil may not clean well enough. Also without the heat coil to dry the dishes at the end of the cycle the dishes when you take them out will be quite wet. Again models with this feature juts may cost less than the high end ones.

If you doubt my take on the filter clog issue and the lack of a heater/drying coil just take a look at any appliance forum and see all the complaints.
If you remove the filter and clean it occasionally (as the dw instructions note you should do) you won't have a problem. It's good practice anyway.

I don't think the OP is going to solve his problem by purchasing old technology, but that's just MHO...
verbose

Post by verbose »

I am fed up with my dishwasher, a mid-line GE from 2007. I have to pre-wash the dishes and unclog the spray arms regularly and buy special detergent and it still doesn't get the dishes clean. Now it doesn't dry anymore. I suspect I can repair some parts of it, but why?

I've resisted buying a new dishwasher for years because I don't want one that cleans well just until the one-year warranty is up and then leaves me back where I started.

Where does one buy a Bosch or Miele dishwasher? If it's only going to last 7 years, I want 7 years of performance.
Masterblaster

Post by Masterblaster »

Admiral wrote: If you remove the filter and clean it occasionally (as the dw instructions note you should do) you won't have a problem. It's good practice anyway.

I don't think the OP is going to solve his problem by purchasing old technology, but that's just MHO...
Again - If you doubt my take on the filter clog issue and the lack of a heater/drying coil just take a look at any appliance forum and see all the complaints. And (per the forums) the problems go way past just cleaning out the filter.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Had that discussion a few weeks ago. He recommended KitchenAid but stay away from Samsung and LG because of parts availability (although he likes Samsung ranges). He also said (like a previous poster) to not rinse the dishes before loading. Evidently there are 'cleaning agents" in dishwashing detergents that need to "attach to something" to do their job. Also said to get a stainless steel interior tub.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

pshonore wrote:

Had that discussion a few weeks ago. He recommended KitchenAid but stay away from Samsung and LG because of parts availability (although he likes Samsung ranges). He also said (like a previous poster) to not rinse the dishes before loading. Evidently there are 'cleaning agents" in dishwashing detergents that need to "attach to something" to do their job. Also said to get a stainless steel interior tub.
We always rinse our dishes well because there are only two of us and they may sit for awhile. We have no problem with dishes not coming clean - at least since I got our water softener working correctly. This was true with our newer dishwasher and our current older one that came with the house when we moved. The current dishwasher (circa 2005) also does fine with the new phosphate-free detergents.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

Bought the lower end Bosch Asana a year or two ago at Lowe's for $500 with coupon and included free delivery plus I perhaps dumbly added the 5 year no questions asked in home parts and labor warranty. The coupon saved more than the warranty so it basically felt like free to me and I've heard all the complaints about appliances not lasting very long anymore. I can't imagine not getting 10-15 years minimum out of every appliance but maybe that's life now. Anyway it's been a great washer so far and is very quiet. Not silent but quiet enough to hardly notice and much quieter than our more expensive eight year old Whirlpool in our primary home.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

jbuzolich wrote:Bought the lower end Bosch Asana a year or two ago at Lowe's for $500 with coupon and included free delivery plus I perhaps dumbly added the 5 year no questions asked in home parts and labor warranty. The coupon saved more than the warranty so it basically felt like free to me and I've heard all the complaints about appliances not lasting very long anymore. I can't imagine not getting 10-15 years minimum out of every appliance but maybe that's life now. Anyway it's been a great washer so far and is very quiet. Not silent but quiet enough to hardly notice and much quieter than our more expensive eight year old Whirlpool in our primary home.
We just got a full refund on our nearly 3-year-old Samsung refrigerator from Lowe's as a result of purchasing the $149 (then) 5-year extended protection plan. It wasn't that it couldn't be fixed (supposedly) but that parts were not available in a reasonable timeframe, and my wife's persistence. 8-)

The Lowe's extended protection plan was why we purchased (and now have re-purchased) from Lowe's. It wasn't a perfect experience but Lowe's does the administration themselves which gives them more of an incentive to make the customer happy - which in the end they did. The store also felt some responsibility so ponied up for a loaner unit to get us through until the parts and now new fridge arrive. I typically don't buy extended warranties but with refrigerators, and especially those with icemakers, I think it's worth serious consideration. It's paid off on our last two and handsomely on the most recent one. I probably wouldn't purchase an extended warranty on a dishwasher because the initial cost is much lower.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
genjix

Post by genjix »

Thanks all for the post. I edited to reflect I dont need water efficient.

With all these common issues is it worth to get warranty perhaps from square trade or something?
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I went with a Bosch, but spent about $800 with installation.
Much quieter than the old one.

I'd suggest going a little higher than $500 if you can. You don't replace them often.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

verbose wrote:Ten years pre-dates the removal of phosphates from dishwasher detergents. That happened in 2010. All detergents were quietly "new and improved." My dishwasher stopped cleaning dishes at that time. I've been extending the dishwasher's usefulness by buying Bubble Bandit dishwasher detergent from Amazon. It has phosphates in it. Note that some states have outlawed this kind of detergent for household use--my state (Missouri) has not.

It sounds like your dishwasher was designed to rely on enzyme detergents (aka phosphates).
You can also use TSP or other phosphorous-containing cleaners along with phosphate-free detergent to fix this. It might even help with newer dishwashers, too, especially if you have hard water.

The concern was phosphorous causing algae blooms that can harm aquatic life, but newer municipal wastewater treatment plants have a phosphorous removal step before discharging the treated water, and many older plants have been retrofitted.

So if you're having trouble, try a tsp of TSP per load. If you're worried about whether or not your wastewater is treated for phosphorous, just be judicious about how often and how much you use.

As far as I know, the regulations in many states prohibit the sale of many phosphate-containing detergents in order to reduce use, not necessarily eliminate it entirely. I think you're still within the bounds of the law adding phosphates when needed.
squirm

Post by squirm »

We have a Bosch and I hate the thing, it came with the house. I WILL go postal with it one day, that means uninstalling it and taking it out to the field and going office space on it.

I installed a whirlpool at our rental and wrapped insulation around it years ago. Never a problem. The Bosch constantly reeks, I had to search on the net how to turn off the stupid signal, do we really need a noise maker to tell us when its done washing? And the dishes always stick to the racks. I hate the thing.
FraggleRock

Bosch

Post by FraggleRock »

Double your budget.
Bosch.
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

Check consumer reports.

We have the Bosch they recommended at the time for our budget- shop around a bit to save some. Works great, it won't work miracles, but it does what it's supposed to. I'd consider a Miele if money was no object.

Follow the maintenance guidelines in the manual to a T.

Lastly, use good detergent - once again Consumer Reports. I haven't checked in a few years, but their recommendation of the Finish Powerballs was spot-on.
perl

Post by perl »

If you haven't yet discovered the Sweethome, you are I for a pleasant surprise. It's filling the review vacuum left by Consumer Reports going downhill.

The best dishwasher
mancich

Post by mancich »

Bosch Ascenta. Purchased at Lowes 3 years ago for $550 on sale. Very quiet and cleans very well. Plus they installed it and hauled away the old one.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I liked the rack system on some of the more expensive Bosch models so we ended up getting a Bosch 500 series at Lowes that has worked very well. I think it was in the $700-800 range.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

verbose wrote:I am fed up with my dishwasher, a mid-line GE from 2007. I have to pre-wash the dishes and unclog the spray arms regularly and buy special detergent and it still doesn't get the dishes clean. Now it doesn't dry anymore. I suspect I can repair some parts of it, but why?

I've resisted buying a new dishwasher for years because I don't want one that cleans well just until the one-year warranty is up and then leaves me back where I started.

Where does one buy a Bosch or Miele dishwasher? If it's only going to last 7 years, I want 7 years of performance.
Lowe's sells Bosch - I just got one last month when my old dishwasher (a lot older than 7 years gave up the ghost). It is absolutely quiet and I didn't go for the top of the line - I was sitting 10 feet from the dishwasher and really only hear a faint hum except when filling and draining. I also like the adjustable rack heights and that some of the tines can be flipped down.

One big adjustment is that cycle takes forever! And it doesn't dry all that well - although I may be contributing to that issue since I still pre-rinse presoak some stuff (since I only run it about once/week).
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

Avoid Samsung. It does a terrible job washing, I frequently have to wash things again after they've been through the machine.It also does a terrible job drying plastic items. I've had to replace the parts that support the upper rack, and frequently it won't run until I flip the breaker (something that is apparently not uncommon with that model).
My sister has kitchenaide and swears by it, while I sweat at my Samsung. :happy
Last edited by Ruger on Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

My dishwasher is roughly the same age, and it has a heating ring in the bottom that heats the water in the basin during wash / rinse cycles. If it's not working, the dishwasher rinses won't get very hot and the dishwasher won't clean very well.

Recommend you look under the bottom rack of your dishwasher and see if you have a heating ring, and (if so) open the dishwasher during the rinse cycle and see if the heater is actually heating (ie hot to touch). You can also look for a repair guide online for your dishwasher, as you may be able to find a service code to activate the heater manually and test it without using water. I had similar issues once with dirty dishes, eventually diagnosed it as a heater that wasn't working. When I pulled out the dishwasher to pull the heater out, I found one of the electric probes to it had loosened up and fell out. Tightened up and reattached the electrode, reassembled the dishwasher, and the thing has worked great ever since. :beer
flossmoor

Post by flossmoor »

My appliance guy, probably the best one in Chicagoland (Hi, Mike) says Bosch or Kitchenaid. The latter requires cheaper parts to install and is easier.

He says get the fewest features you can live with, since they only provide more things to break.

He has not steered me wrong in 17 years.
MarvinK

Post by MarvinK »

Asko, bought on sale or scratch/dent sale.

Whirlpool in a rental was great!

I never want to have a loud dishwasher again! You don't know the difference until the freight train is roaring.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

pshonore wrote:

Had that discussion a few weeks ago. He recommended KitchenAid but stay away from Samsung and LG because of parts availability (although he likes Samsung ranges).
That is why I always mention this. I had a LG made refrigerator that I couldn't get a repairman or parts to repair it myself because neither were available. I learned my lesson the hard (and expensive) way.
pondering

Post by pondering »

--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing
TBillT

Post by TBillT »

Hmm...they all look the same with the control panel hidden on the top of the door.
My daughter is having a huge hassle with a new Kenmore becuase that control panel is exposed to the steam coming out and thus fails electronically right away. There are getting used to washing dishes the "old fashioned" way. Her installation has that top control panel underneath the granite counter top when the door is closed.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

Just a note on Bosch. There is surprisingly little difference, IMHO, between the 300, 500, and 800 series as far as the main washing mechanisms are concerned. Third rack or not, a tiny difference in sound rating, and then various choices in trim, handles, controls location, many of the options are available at all three levels. The Ascenta, while also a nice dishwasher, is definitely a different design and noticeable louder, for a lower price point.