Where to View Total Eclipse? - Kansas City / Nashville et al

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
digarei

Where to View Total Eclipse? - Kansas City / Nashville et al

Post by digarei » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:55 am

I'm looking for suggestions for best place to position myself along the centerline of the total eclipse path (U.S. August 21). I'd like to improve my odds of being at the right place long before 1:05 PM. I'll be staying just south of Kansas City. Willing to drive up to two hours.

Based on my survey of available hotel rooms (zero) I think I want to avoid both of the towns and routes I had originally planned as possible destinations:

I-29 St. Joseph

I-35/69 to Excelsior Springs

Should I instead go west over State Line and try to reach a more remote location in northern Kansas? Leave during morning rush hour North up I-35 and look for some tiny Missouri farm town in the path?

Where are the Bogleheads in KC traveling to?

Thanks!

FYI - I found nice accommodations yesterday for a reasonable price in Kansas City, near I-435 (zip code 64131). For info regarding hotel accommodations elsewhere, see this thread from last year: .. Aug. 2017 US total eclipse hotel reservations.

Info about the eclipse (USA):
http://www.eclipse2017.org/eclipse2017_main.htm

-------------------------------
EDIT 7/26/2017

If you're not in a position to view the eclipse in person, all is not lost: NASA will be broadcasting live photos of the eclipse as soon as it approaches the Oregon coast on August 21st. Since it will be captured from space, near the moon, earth-based satellites and weather balloons, watching the eclipse on the internet may provide more spectacular viewing than watching it from the ground within the path of totality. Save the following link in your browser!

INTERNET ~ Watch the eclipse from space/earth on August 21st:

https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive

EDIT #2 on 7/26: Topic title changed to reflect another much-discussed destination in this thread (Nashville)
Last edited by digarei on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

adamthesmythe

Re: Where to View Total Eclipse? - Kansas City

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:07 am

I have a reservation in Ft. Collins CO and am expecting to drive up the interstate in the direction of Casper WY.

I would appreciate thoughts about how realistic this is. The room is cancellable.

Rooms in Casper are either unavailable or at truly astonishing prices.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:10 am

I would think that St Joe would have more accommodations, but availability might be a question.

Some small towns between St Joe and Columbia,in the path, might also be an option. There just aren't many in the northwest section of Kansas, in fact not many along the whole section of 36 to the CO border, been there done that.

Me--- I'll just hang out on my back deck as I'm in the zone in OR

digarei

Post by digarei » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:20 am

Nearing_Destination wrote:I would think that St Joe would have more accommodations, but availability might be a question.

Some small towns between St Joe and Columbia,in the path, might also be an option. There just aren't many in the northwest section of Kansas, in fact not many along the whole section of 36 to the CO border, been there done that.

Me--- I'll just hang out on my back deck as I'm in the zone in OR
Thanks -- I have already found hotel accommodations. Just looking for a reasonably uncrowded place to park and enjoy the spectacular... and to avoid congested highways or county roads on the way.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:45 am

I have to say I really like http://www.eclipse2017.org . They got there early with tons of information, and reasonable deals on eclipse glasses and printed guides and maps and stuff. Do go there and look at their maps.

I have reservations at a campground in Nebraska, arriving the 20th. A month ago I didn't have any trouble getting a reservation at a cheap motel that allows pets (restricts our choices!) in St. Joseph.

I don't think you need anything special in the way of a vantage point, although it only occurred to me a few weeks ago that a hillside would be nice if you want to see the approaching shadow.
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

straws46

Post by straws46 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:58 am

You might visit Powell Gardens, the KC botanic garden on Hiway 50 east of KC. You'd avoid the I-70 traffic and it would be a pleasant place to see the eclipse unless everyone else has the same idea.

jriding

Post by jriding » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:02 am

adamthesmythe wrote:I have a reservation in Ft. Collins CO and am expecting to drive up the interstate in the direction of Casper WY.

I would appreciate thoughts about how realistic this is. The room is cancellable.

Very reasonable plan. You could also look into staying in Cheyenne if you wanted to be a little closer. It's about a three hour drive to Casper and totality is listed as 11:42MDT. Normally the highway between Fort Collins and Casper has very little traffic, but not sure how the eclipse will effect that. You might want to allow some extra drive time just in case.

straws46

Post by straws46 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:18 am

Cancel the Powell Garden site recommendation. It is outside the totality area.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:20 am

jriding wrote:
adamthesmythe wrote:I have a reservation in Ft. Collins CO and am expecting to drive up the interstate in the direction of Casper WY.

Very reasonable plan. You could also look into staying in Cheyenne if you wanted to be a little closer. It's about a three hour drive to Casper and totality is listed as 11:42MDT. Normally the highway between Fort Collins and Casper has very little traffic, but not sure how the eclipse will effect that. You might want to allow some extra drive time just in case.
Tried Cheyenne first, when I looked it was very high. Now showing totally sold out.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:22 am

straws46 wrote:You might visit Powell Gardens, the KC botanic garden on Hiway 50 east of KC. You'd avoid the I-70 traffic and it would be a pleasant place to see the eclipse unless everyone else has the same idea.
The problem is- any NICE place to view will have been thought of by many many other people. So I figure all I am looking for is a place to park for an hour or so. NOT on the interstate, by the way. Even so, I have no idea how many other people will drive up with the some thought.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:30 am

We are flying to Nashville, in part because DH has always wanted to go there anyway.

We originally had reservations near Madras, Oregon, but getting there was going to take too long and then... we read about the expected mobs and mobs and multi-hour traffic delays.
The reason for that spot was the best likelihood for clear skies.

We'll have a rental car, and will scout out various roadways in the area in advance, and then watch weather radar, and keep our fingers crossed.

If it ends up being totally overcast, it should still be quite impressive, but not nearly what it would have been with clear skies.

Don't forget to order your "eclipse glasses" before they sell out (odd as that might sound).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:33 am

ResearchMed wrote:We are flying to Nashville, in part because DH has always wanted to go there anyway.
We are also flying to Nashville, a short trip from Memphis. Our room reservation for Sunday evening is refundable, so I plan to check the weather forecast the Saturday before. If it's cloudy in Nashville, we will cancel the room and just fly to a more favorable forecast location the morning of the eclipse, assuming it's still somewhere in the SE.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:42 am

If I were going somewhere (I'm not since we are in the middle of the path) I would get on a highway and drive west until there were clear skies. Heading toward Wyoming is a good bet but it all depends on the weather that afternoon where you are. Plan on a complete zoo wherever you end up because a few million other people have had the same idea. I may end up "sick" that day just to avoid the complete meltdown of local traffic.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:47 am

My plan weather permitting is to just drive south from Iowa to some deserted gravel road along the path in Missouri and find a place to park and watch it go by before driving back home again. I'm figuring on a three hour drive one way for us. We're just making a day trip out of it.

Angst

Post by Angst » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:58 am

This is THE map you want to use - switch to "map" mode in upper right corner, and use the + button to zoom, don't dbl-click the map. Zoom in on Kansas City and pick your place, as close to the blue line as you can get. Can you get up to St. Joseph, MO? I'm just a 30 minute drive from totality. :)

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/so ... pFull.html

digarei

Post by digarei » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:01 pm

nisiprius wrote:I have to say I really like http://www.eclipse2017.org . They got there early with tons of information, and reasonable deals on eclipse glasses and printed guides and maps and stuff. Do go there and look at their maps.

Yes, good website, if a little verbose... I ordered several pair of their spectacles last night and it appears they've already shipped.

I have reservations at a campground in Nebraska, arriving the 20th. A month ago I didn't have any trouble getting a reservation at a cheap motel that allows pets (restricts our choices!) in St. Joseph.

Perhaps I didn't drill deep enough. I checked about 12 motels/hotels in St. Joseph but nothing was available yesterday. Settled on a Mariott Courtyard in KC because I'd stayed there before. Average $130 over 4 nights.

I don't think you need anything special in the way of a vantage point, although it only occurred to me a few weeks ago that a hillside would be nice if you want to see the approaching shadow.
Goal is to avoid being caught in a creeping parking lot on the interstate and miss the sighting... I'm accustomed to San Jose/SF Bay Area traffic so I may be overthinking this. Haven't been to KC in several years.

Thanks to everyone who mentioned the Kansas City area in their responses.

jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Living in Saint Joseph, and working in the northland of Kansas City, I'm stuck asking the question "Is it going to be worth opening the store for business that day?"

I know you said you want to avoid I29, but just as you get into town on the south side, there's a Menard's just off the interstate. I bet the area in front of it will be packed (mostly undeveloped ground still) because the view will be fantastic there and there aren't trees to block your view. Somebody told me yesterday Saint Joseph (population of about 70k for those who don't know) could see up to 1,200,000 people come to town for the eclipse.

Lexi

Post by Lexi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:26 pm

Go to an area with lots of birds and wildlife. Their reaction is by far the most interesting part of watching the eclipse.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:32 pm

digarei wrote: Goal is to avoid being caught in a creeping parking lot on the interstate and miss the sighting...
That's my concern as well. I live in Boulder, CO and was planning to drive up towards Casper. But I have no idea what to expect on I-25 that day.

GTBuzz

Post by GTBuzz » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:01 pm

My family and I are flying up from Florida and Atlanta into Kansas City. I got a parking pass for eclipse day for the event at St. Joseph's Rosecrans Memorial Airport (although if it looks like there is any chance of cloudcover, we're willing to relocate the morning of to a place where odds might be better). Passes and info can be found at https://event.attendstar.com/event/show ... ar-eclipse.

As for lodging, I used SPG points at one of the few Category 1 properties in North America, so I should be getting about 7 cents per point of value. :happy Looks like SPG still has availability at several properties in KC...not sure about other chains.

catdude

Post by catdude » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:37 pm

ResearchMed wrote:We originally had reservations near Madras, Oregon, but getting there was going to take too long and then... we read about the expected mobs and mobs and multi-hour traffic delays.
I'm about 40 miles south of Madras, outside the zone of totality. Central Oregon is going to be wall-to-wall people for the eclipse. Rather than fight the crowds, I think I'll just stay put and try to enjoy a partial, rather than total, eclipse.
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:39 pm

My plan is to head to far eastern oregon and find some DNR or BLM land to set up camp. Aready have our shade 14 welding goggles.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:46 pm

catdude wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:We originally had reservations near Madras, Oregon, but getting there was going to take too long and then... we read about the expected mobs and mobs and multi-hour traffic delays.
I'm about 40 miles south of Madras, outside the zone of totality. Central Oregon is going to be wall-to-wall people for the eclipse. Rather than fight the crowds, I think I'll just stay put and try to enjoy a partial, rather than total, eclipse.
I guess we were originally going to be "right nearby".

But as I read the traffic warnings, and DH and I discussed how we should drive into the zone of totality, vaguely near the festivities... and then we decided that perhaps we should spend the night in our car there... and then we thought... Nah!
When we were younger, probably. Not these days :shock:

When I call the hotel to tell them we were cancelling, the woman was REALLY nice. She kept repeating, were we SURE we wanted to cancel? We understood someone else would get the room *immediately*? And were we SURE???
That was actually sweet, given IF we were making a "mistake", we would not get that room back.

Keeping fingers crossed for clear skies...
But it should be amazing no matter what (well, hopefully not a massive thunderstorm!).

We'll spend a day or two in advance, checking out various other roads in case clouds are scattered.
And of course, one evening at the Grand Ole Opry :D

RM

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:19 pm

I booked a room in Chesterfield, a western suburb of St. Louis. I plan to view the eclipse from the hotel parking lot.

Here's a map of the area of totality.

If you miss this one there's another one coming in 2024. After that you're out of luck until 2044, for N. America anyway. If you're willing to travel internationally there will be additional events.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... st_century

bac573

Post by bac573 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 pm

We're driving up from Dallas on Sunday (the day before) and staying at a hotel in Topeka, KS on Sunday night. The plan is to get up early Monday morning (the morning of) and drive about 2 hours (fingers crossed it only take 2 hours) north to southern Nebraska, although where, will depend on the weather. After totality, the plan is to start driving south back towards Dallas and staying at a hotel that night, if necessary, (probably in Oklahoma, far away from the action).

I've been waiting for this event for several years now, but worst case, in 7 years (April 2024), there will be another eclipse with totality directly above my house :)
One thing to know about this town; not a person doesn't want me underground.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Nicolas wrote:I booked a room in Chesterfield, a western suburb of St. Louis. I plan to view the eclipse from the hotel parking lot.

If you miss this one there's another one coming in 2024. After that you're out of luck until 2044, for N. America anyway. If you're willing to travel internationally there will be additional events.
Chesterfield is pretty close to the edge of totality so you'll experience less time in totality. However this may not be a bad thing as i found with this document:

https://www.astrosociety.org/wp-content ... spenak.pdf

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:15 pm

bac573 wrote:We're driving up from Dallas on Sunday (the day before) and staying at a hotel in Topeka, KS on Sunday night. The plan is to get up early Monday morning (the morning of) and drive about 2 hours (fingers crossed it only take 2 hours) north to southern Nebraska, although where, will depend on the weather. After totality, the plan is to start driving south back towards Dallas and staying at a hotel that night, if necessary, (probably in Oklahoma, far away from the action).

I've been waiting for this event for several years now, but worst case, in 7 years (April 2024), there will be another eclipse with totality directly above my house :)
The next total solar eclipse to pass over my house will be on September 14, 2099. I can hardly wait! Actually it will pass directly over my grave. :annoyed I wonder what I'll be doing then?
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:24 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Nicolas wrote:I booked a room in Chesterfield, a western suburb of St. Louis. I plan to view the eclipse from the hotel parking lot.

Chesterfield is pretty close to the edge of totality so you'll experience less time in totality. However this may not be a bad thing as i found with this document:

https://www.astrosociety.org/wp-content ... spenak.pdf
Cool, thanks for the link. Looks like I picked an ideal spot! Looking forward to seeing Baily's Beads!

digarei

Post by digarei » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:37 pm

jadedfalcons wrote:
Somebody told me yesterday Saint Joseph (population of about 70k for those who don't know) could see up to 1,200,000 people come to town for the eclipse.
1600% increase in population?

No big deal.

Everyone should remember to arrive a few weeks early, then stand very close together during the eclipse.

The city can send in backhoes and scrapers to excavate the site after the event. Count me in [...a different city].

Nicolas wrote:
The next total solar eclipse to pass over my house will be on September 14, 2099. I can hardly wait! Actually it will pass directly over my grave. :annoyed
hah hah!

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:15 pm

catdude wrote:
CatDude

I'm north of you--- within the zone of totality

Sheriff has already described the zoo that will be 97
They have extra portable cell towers, probably half the port-o-lets in the state, and have even got BNSF trucks to ride the rails for use as police cruisers (they expect up to six hours to get from Bend to Madras :shock: :shock: )
They also noted that you need to have Rx filled, plenty of supplies, and a full gas tank ( there will likely be a run on fuel with all the RV's and cars, especially when they all decide to leave that day or the next). {while I expect a few hundred thousand in central OR, I just can't see the numbers that they project-- not enough room, much less where are they going to eat, etc?

catdude

Post by catdude » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:30 am

Nearing_Destination wrote:
catdude wrote:
CatDude

I'm north of you--- within the zone of totality

Sheriff has already described the zoo that will be 97
They have extra portable cell towers, probably half the port-o-lets in the state, and have even got BNSF trucks to ride the rails for use as police cruisers (they expect up to six hours to get from Bend to Madras :shock: :shock: )
They also noted that you need to have Rx filled, plenty of supplies, and a full gas tank ( there will likely be a run on fuel with all the RV's and cars, especially when they all decide to leave that day or the next). {while I expect a few hundred thousand in central OR, I just can't see the numbers that they project-- not enough room, much less where are they going to eat, etc?
ND -

I just don't want to deal with all the madness. The eclipse is on a Monday... by the Wednesday or Thursday beforehand I'll be hunkered down at home, with stockpiles of life's necessities -- TV dinners, toilet paper, cat food (of course :)), beer, etc. etc. I'll be happy when it's all over and done with.
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:17 am

neilpilot wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:We are flying to Nashville, in part because DH has always wanted to go there anyway.
We are also flying to Nashville, a short trip from Memphis. Our room reservation for Sunday evening is refundable, so I plan to check the weather forecast the Saturday before. If it's cloudy in Nashville, we will cancel the room and just fly to a more favorable forecast location the morning of the eclipse, assuming it's still somewhere in the SE.
I live in Nashville and Nashville is the largest city in the US in the path of the eclipse. I bought some eclipse glasses from Amazon to be able to watch it. Hope the weather is good.

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:42 pm

The only problem is Entropy, leading to the eventual heat death of the universe. [Seen on /.]

MulesFan

Post by MulesFan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:36 pm

My library's branch in Waverly MO plans to make its parking lot available for viewers (we're on top of hill overlooking MO River). You're welcome to come join us. Just a little bit off dead center.

Trails Regional Library, 203 E Kelling, Waverly.

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:25 pm

For all of you who have mentioned coming to Nashville, there are lots of county roads in the counties to the north and northwest of us where you're not likely to find big crowds. Get way off the Interstate and the Federal highways and in-between some small towns and you'll be in fine shape. Get a good detailed map. We live on the north side of Nashville in the totality zone and will enjoy this from our back deck with family who are traveling here. There's less chance of thunderstorms and clouds in August too.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:57 pm

LeeInTN wrote:For all of you who have mentioned coming to Nashville, there are lots of county roads in the counties to the north and northwest of us where you're not likely to find big crowds. Get way off the Interstate and the Federal highways and in-between some small towns and you'll be in fine shape. Get a good detailed map. We live on the north side of Nashville in the totality zone and will enjoy this from our back deck with family who are traveling here. There's less chance of thunderstorms and clouds in August too.
Great, thanks.
We are arriving on Friday, and will have Saturday and Sunday to "wander around" to find back roads in clear areas in case we need to search for less cloudy areas. If it's all overcast, so be it. It's supposed to be very unusual even if cloudy, although nothing like "the real thing"...

We were going to try to head towards the center, to get those few extra seconds of totality.
But I've just read (thanks to above link!) about some of the other phenomena that are actually more visible near the edge of totality zone (?).
I guess we need to do a bit more research on that.

We just got our "eclipse glasses".
We were amused that the "instructions" say not to wear them when walking or driving. Well! From our little test without looking right at the sun, we can see exactly... *nothing*. Those are some dark lenses!
Anyone trying to drive with them on... Yikes! They might as well just face backwards :annoyed

Let's just hope for helpful/cooperative weather.

How nice to be "right IN the zone", and to be able to have your friends and family gather to enjoy the day.

RM

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:31 pm

LeeInTN wrote:For all of you who have mentioned coming to Nashville, there are lots of county roads in the counties to the north and northwest of us where you're not likely to find big crowds. Get way off the Interstate and the Federal highways and in-between some small towns and you'll be in fine shape. Get a good detailed map. We live on the north side of Nashville in the totality zone and will enjoy this from our back deck with family who are traveling here. There's less chance of thunderstorms and clouds in August too.
OK everybody. Lee's house. 1:00-ish. Bring a beverage. :beer
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:35 pm

jebmke wrote:
Well isn't that nice.

How nice of Lee to invite all of us.

And those of you without hotel reservations, just bring a sleeping bag.
Lee has lots of room for everyone.
His relatives are very friendly, too.

But let's get there for breakfast, so as to be all settled in by E-time!

:twisted:

RM

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:03 pm

My plan is to head down I-65 in the morning; I have a spot picked out on the KY-TN border but if traffic starts looking bad, I'm hitting the back roads as you suggest.

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:23 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
jebmke wrote:
Well isn't that nice.

How nice of Lee to invite all of us.

And those of you without hotel reservations, just bring a sleeping bag.
Lee has lots of room for everyone.
His relatives are very friendly, too.

But let's get there for breakfast, so as to be all settled in by E-time!

:twisted:

RM
The truth is that if we didn't have 10 (at least - perhaps more) guests planning to be here we'd happily take a few BH-types for the bog day. This thing doesn't happen often, and this time there's no need to fly the Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia. (Youngsters will need to google that)

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:04 pm

I have a room reserved to the southeast of Nashville in the smaller town of Murfreesboro so hopefully it will not be so crazy there.

At the hotel there will be just over a minute of totality, I was planning on going closer to the centerline but the link about seeing it from the edge may cause me to rethink that.

I plan on having plenty of food and beverages for lunch and dinner so we will not need to worry about eating out. Don't forget to bring your own TP since that could be in short supply :D

We will be driving up there on Sunday and be scouting out a good location.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:56 am

Lexi wrote:Go to an area with lots of birds and wildlife. Their reaction is by far the most interesting part of watching the eclipse.
There was an interesting show about the upcoming eclipse on C-SPAN a couple weeks ago (lots of interesting discussion and graphics and annimation). Here's a link:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?430279-1/ ... ar-eclipse
One of the people mentioned the same thing you note about birds and wildlife.

However, if I had some way to do it, I would want to view the eclipse from the air (that was discussed in the show). I wonder if there are excursions being organized for that.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:01 am

Tamales wrote:
However, if I had some way to do it, I would want to view the eclipse from the air (that was discussed in the show). I wonder if there are excursions being organized for that.
I live in Memphis, and plan on flying to a small airport in the zone of totality. Will wait until a couple days before eclipse to check weather and finalize destination. I plan on having my aircraft on the ground during the 2-2.5 hours of the eclipse, and frankly never considered an aerial view. I just don't see how that would be better than being on the ground, assuming you were in an appropriate location (i.e. level or high ground, away from huge crowds and/or excessive noise).

Guess I need to watch that video.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:22 am

Tamales wrote:
Lexi wrote:Go to an area with lots of birds and wildlife. Their reaction is by far the most interesting part of watching the eclipse.
There was an interesting show about the upcoming eclipse on C-SPAN a couple weeks ago (lots of interesting discussion and graphics and annimation). Here's a link:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?430279-1/ ... ar-eclipse
One of the people mentioned the same thing you note about birds and wildlife.

I understand someone like Alaska Airlines (but maybe not them) has organized a flight just off the coast of Oregon, where the eclipse will first hit the USA. As I understand it, it's not something that was open to the public.

There have been some "open to the public" flights off Australia, to see the Southern Lights, flying right near them. It was pricey, in part because everyone had a window seat, and it was all business class.

Neilpilot, how would a pilot navigate during the eclipse, if the special glasses are almost opaque under ordinary conditions.
Ah, another question: When a plane is flying straight into the sun, do pilots wear special glasses? (It's not like on the ground driving a car, where there are other cars all around, and one still needs to see them...)
Interesting...!

RM

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:35 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Neilpilot, how would a pilot navigate during the eclipse, if the special glasses are almost opaque under ordinary conditions.
Ah, another question: When a plane is flying straight into the sun, do pilots wear special glasses? (It's not like on the ground driving a car, where there are other cars all around, and one still needs to see them...)
Interesting...!

RM
As I understand this, the potential for eye damage exists whenever you view the sun directly. The hazard is greater during the eclipse simply because the lower intensity of VISIBLE light does not induce the natural tendency to look away.

I would guess that, during the eclipse, the pilot would need to mentally avoid directly viewing the sun. When I fly directly into the sun, I may or may not wear regular (not polarized) glasses, the same way a driver manages in an auto. I do have a tinted plastic film that I can slap on the windshield, but I rarely use it. My sun visors only cover the top fraction of the windshield, and are usually ineffective unless the sun is high (just like in your car).

I'd navigate the same as always, usually by GPS.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:58 am

neilpilot wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
Interesting...!

RM
As I understand this, the potential for eye damage exists whenever you view the sun directly. The hazard is greater during the eclipse simply because the lower intensity of VISIBLE light does not induce the natural tendency to look away.

I would guess that, during the eclipse, the pilot would need to mentally avoid directly viewing the sun. When I fly directly into the sun, I may or may not wear regular (not polarized) glasses, the same way a driver manages in an auto. I do have a tinted plastic film that I can slap on the windshield, but I rarely use it. My sun visors only cover the top fraction of the windshield, and are usually ineffective unless the sun is high (just like in your car).

I'd navigate the same as always, usually by GPS.
Thanks.

Unless there are clouds that the plane can fly above, are there even any advantages to be in a plane rather than on the ground, especially possibly observing any nearby visible wildlife or birdsong, etc.?

No matter what, even with clouds, it should be quite an experience.

At least you have the advantage to travel further, fast, if clouds are a problem. Nice :happy

RM

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:59 am

neilpilot wrote:
Tamales wrote:
I live in Memphis, and plan on flying to a small airport in the zone of totality. Will wait until a couple days before eclipse to check weather and finalize destination. I plan on having my aircraft on the ground during the 2-2.5 hours of the eclipse, and frankly never considered an aerial view. I just don't see how that would be better than being on the ground, assuming you were in an appropriate location (i.e. level or high ground, away from huge crowds and/or excessive noise).

Guess I need to watch that video.
I should add that I was painting walls while "watching" the C-SPAN show, so I may have jumbled some of the dialog, but in any case it seemed like several gov't agencies, along with academics and "geek groups" have been planning various aerial videos (high altitude balloons with GoPros and high altitude aircraft) so there should be an abundance of post-eclipse media to consume.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:34 pm

neilpilot wrote:
I'm flying to Nashville on that Sunday, then watch the Eclipse at 1:30pm Monday and fly home to Dallas that evening. It better not be cloudy nor rainy becauseI don't have a Plan B. Can't wait.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:11 pm

FYI Article: NASA "eclipse jets" to make the total solar eclipse last nearly 3 times as long
http://www.businessinsider.com/total-so ... ets-2017-7

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:52 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
I'm flying to Nashville on that Sunday, then watch the Eclipse at 1:30pm Monday and fly home to Dallas that evening. It better not be cloudy nor rainy becauseI don't have a Plan B. Can't wait.
For those who are or going to be in the Nashville area, where do you plan to be to watch the eclipse? I've not been to Nashville before but will be there that Monday.