Where to View Total Eclipse? - Kansas City / Nashville et al

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
OnTrack2020

Re: Where to View Total Eclipse? - Kansas City

Post by OnTrack2020 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Walmart - $1.00 solar eclipse glasses

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:42 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
TravelforFun wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:We are flying to Nashville, in part because DH has always wanted to go there anyway.
We are also flying to Nashville, a short trip from Memphis. Our room reservation for Sunday evening is refundable, so I plan to check the weather forecast the Saturday before. If it's cloudy in Nashville, we will cancel the room and just fly to a more favorable forecast location the morning of the eclipse, assuming it's still somewhere in the SE.
I'm flying to Nashville on that Sunday, then watch the Eclipse at 1:30pm Monday and fly home to Dallas that evening. It better not be cloudy nor rainy becauseI don't have a Plan B. Can't wait.
For those who are or going to be in the Nashville area, where do you plan to be to watch the eclipse? I've not been to Nashville before but will be there that Monday.
We are flying in on Friday, because DH has always wanted to go to Nashville (one of the reasons we chose Nashville once we realized what a madhouse Madras, Oregon would be, plus 2 days to get there and then 2 more to get home).
So we'll do a bit of sightseeing, including the Grand Ole Opry.

But during the day, Sat/Sun, we'll also spend a bit of time scouting around for some local roads in a couple of directions (all generally closer to mid-point) so we have a sense of where there are open areas, etc. (Also "facilities"...)
Then we'll also be watching the weather reports/radar, so we can try to chase blue sky if at all possible.
We'll probably want to stay off the main roads, but we'll see.
We'll also bring some food and soft drinks, as we'll hope to find a good spot and just stay there.

It's supposed to be amazingly dramatic even with cloud cover (dark, eery, sudden chill), but we'd obviously rather try to see "it" with our trusty Eclipse Glasses.
We are bringing a few extras in case we run into others who don't have them or forgot them, so we can sell them for a tremendous profit ( :wink: just kidding!). The cardboard ones were ridiculously cheap.

There are a variety of local "festivities", but we figure parking will be a nightmare, and it will be a long time in crowds.
Lots of warnings about crowds everywhere.
Apparently we weren't the only people to think about flying to try to see totality :D
(Google Nashville Eclipse or such.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:50 pm

When seeking "facilities" during the wait-period, consider some of the state parks within the totality zone. Also, Interstate rest areas and Welcome Centers (Tennessee and Kentucky) have lots of parking plus facilities, so those could potentially be useful for travelers. However, the lightest crowds will be on the rural roads away from the mayhem.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:37 pm

LeeInTN wrote:When seeking "facilities" during the wait-period, consider some of the state parks within the totality zone. Also, Interstate rest areas and Welcome Centers (Tennessee and Kentucky) have lots of parking plus facilities, so those could potentially be useful for travelers. However, the lightest crowds will be on the rural roads away from the mayhem.
I need to be near the airport so will need to look for a public park that doesn't have a lot of trees or a soccer field somewhere near the airport.

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:54 pm

Check out Two Rivers Park - it is on high ground (relatively speaking) and has a fair amount of open space. It is near the airport.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:55 pm

Eclipses are most enjoyable shared with other people. You won't need to be on site very long. Comfort should not be an issue.

Concentrate on weather odds and flat terrain with open horizon in all directions; there will be phenomena all over the sky, not just where the sun is. Other people will notice things and will call out. You want them around. As long as the terrain is flat and open, there's nothing wrong with stopping the car on the side of the road where you see a clear spot. Serendipity can play a role in events such as these.

Enjoy! It's an amazing sight. Although -- my then 6 year-old was more impressed with the huge moths she saw in 73? 72? at the total in Nova Scotia and talked about them for days. (She does say now that she remembers the eclipse, however)

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:57 pm

And there's another reference to that well-remembered Lear Jet trip to Nova Scotia

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:19 pm

LeeInTN wrote:Check out Two Rivers Park - it is on high ground (relatively speaking) and has a fair amount of open space. It is near the airport.
Thanks.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:42 pm

LeeInTN wrote:Check out Two Rivers Park - it is on high ground (relatively speaking) and has a fair amount of open space. It is near the airport.
Thanks.

Any special suggestions several miles north of Nashville, closer to the midpoint?
I think north of Hendersonville... for the center?
There are only 2+ minutes of totality at the center, so we'd like to be relatively near that line.

But mostly, open blue sky, if any, will determine where we go.

RM

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:45 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Thanks.

Any special suggestions several miles north of Nashville, closer to the midpoint?
I think north of Hendersonville... for the center?
There are only 2+ minutes of totality at the center, so we'd like to be relatively near that line.

But mostly, open blue sky, if any, will determine where we go.

RM
Google maps, satellite view...should give a good idea of open space

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I recall reading that the 100% path is approx 50 miles wide at ground level, so you don't need to bisect the centerline precisely.

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Gallatin or Portland would be excellent. Hendersonville will be great but just a bit less totality time.
The elevation of the land increases onto a general plateau northwest of Gallatin, so Portland would have better views all around - but areas slightly east of Gallatin are not heavily populated and would also provide good viewing. Springfield and White House are on a ridge plateau (still slightly hilly) to the north and northwest of Nashville, so they'd also be good areas from which to view. Nashville sits in a bowl, though it is not a valley -- it is just lower than the surrounding counties.

digarei

Post by digarei » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 pm

Tamales wrote:
Lexi wrote:Go to an area with lots of birds and wildlife. Their reaction is by far the most interesting part of watching the eclipse.
There was an interesting show about the upcoming eclipse on C-SPAN a couple weeks ago (lots of interesting discussion and graphics and annimation). Here's a link:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?430279-1/ ... ar-eclipse
One of the people mentioned the same thing you note about birds and wildlife.

However, if I had some way to do it, I would want to view the eclipse from the air (that was discussed in the show). I wonder if there are excursions being organized for that.
-------------------------------
Information gleaned from the video posted by Tamales, above:

If you're not in a position to view the eclipse in person, all is not lost: NASA will be broadcasting live photos of the eclipse as soon as it approaches the Oregon coast on August 21st. Since it will be captured from space, near the moon, earth-based satellites and weather balloons, watching the eclipse on the internet may provide more spectacular viewing than watching it from the ground within the path of totality. Save the following link in your browser!

INTERNET ~ Watch the eclipse from space/earth on August 21st:

https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive

Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:56 pm

digarei wrote:
INTERNET ~ Watch the eclipse from space/earth on August 21st:

https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive
[/size]
Thanks for that link.

Here's a link to an interactive map where you can click on a location to get the exact time of peak eclipse:
http://www.eclipse2017.org/xavier_redirect.htm

From that map, using the time of maximum eclipse when it just hits the US west coast to when it just leaves the US east coast, and measuring that distance using Google maps, I calculate that the "sweet spot" of the eclipse is travelling at Mach 2.148 (1648 mph)!

Where's the XB-70 Valkyrie when we need it...

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:05 pm

A couple of thoughts regarding eclipse traffic:

1. Traffic is expected to be so bad it's being compared to the "zombie apocalypse".
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/so ... ncna785411

2. Thinking you'll be able to get around the big jam using traffic apps and back roads may not be feasible. Everyone else is doing the same thing and back roads aren't equipped for traffic surges, which creates a new jam and worsens the original one.
http://kalw.org/post/driving-apps-waze- ... s#stream/0

I would strongly reconsider hitting an interstate within several hours of the eclipse. If you're not spending the night within the zone of totality, I would recommend getting up super early - as in before sunrise - to hit the road and beat what might turn out to be the largest synchronized traffic bolus in modern history.

I'm spending the night with family within the zone of totality (about an hour away from where I live). What I'm actually most nervous about is driving home after the eclipse, when EVERYONE else will be doing the same thing. I figure my typical commute home will be quadrupled. I have to work early the next morning so I'm really hoping we are able to get home at a decent hour.

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Tamales wrote:
From that map, using the time of maximum eclipse when it just hits the US west coast to when it just leaves the US east coast, and measuring that distance using Google maps, I calculate that the "sweet spot" of the eclipse is travelling at Mach 2.148 (1648 mph)!

Where's the XB-70 Valkyrie when we need it...
They actually do have "eclipse flights" (I've read that Alaska Air is doing one this year, and I'm sure there are others).

This special flight in 2015 that flew along with a total solar eclipse was able to prolong totality by about a minute for its passengers. Also, flying at 30,000 feet guarantees good weather! And it would be amazing to actually make out the shape of the shadow on the Earth.
https://www.space.com/28886-total-solar ... -view.html

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:13 pm

We had campground reservations arriving August 20th and departing August 23rd, and I got sufficiently freaked out by the traffic scare talk that we extended them back to August 18th.

Oh, and I swore to my wife: we will be spending August 21st in the state park, no matter what. Even if the radar map shows that the only patch of cloud in the U.S. is directly over the state park, and it is totally clear five miles away, we stay in the state park. We are not going to be on a road during the eclipse. The die is cast: whatever happens, happens.

Sure hope it won't be like Maine in 1963. An eclipse drops the temperature sharply, and we had broken cloud cover up to a little bit before totality, than total overcast during totality, then broken cloud cover after totality.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:29 pm

Tamales wrote:...Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I recall reading that the 100% path is approx 50 miles wide at ground level, so you don't need to bisect the centerline precisely...
The width of the path of totality is theoretically 70 miles. Within that path, the duration of totality varies. At the exact center, it's about 2:40. As you move off the center, the duration of totality shortens, but as long as you're within about 25 miles of the center, you'll see 2 minutes or more of totality.

If you move a quarter (the moon) over a nickel (the sun) you can see what happens. If you're right over the center, the quarter is blocking the nickel for a long time; if you're a little off from the center, it doesn't block it as long.

Another way to think of it is that penumbra is an oval that sweeps past you, and if you are on the center line, the sun is blocked for the full width of that oval, but if you are off the center line, you're cutting across a shorter chord of the oval.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:12 am

Dendritic Tree wrote:A couple of thoughts regarding eclipse traffic:

1. Traffic is expected to be so bad it's being compared to the "zombie apocalypse".
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/so ... ncna785411

2. Thinking you'll be able to get around the big jam using traffic apps and back roads may not be feasible. Everyone else is doing the same thing and back roads aren't equipped for traffic surges, which creates a new jam and worsens the original one.
http://kalw.org/post/driving-apps-waze- ... s#stream/0

I would strongly reconsider hitting an interstate within several hours of the eclipse. If you're not spending the night within the zone of totality, I would recommend getting up super early - as in before sunrise - to hit the road and beat what might turn out to be the largest synchronized traffic bolus in modern history.

I'm spending the night with family within the zone of totality (about an hour away from where I live). What I'm actually most nervous about is driving home after the eclipse, when EVERYONE else will be doing the same thing. I figure my typical commute home will be quadrupled. I have to work early the next morning so I'm really hoping we are able to get home at a decent hour.
What an economic boom for the little towns on the totality path. I tried to book a room in Gallatin, TN and all hotels are sold out.

spammagnet

Re: Where to View Total Eclipse? - Kansas City / Nashville et al

Post by spammagnet » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:28 am

A couple of months ago we booked the last site available in Fall Creek Falls, the largest state park (their description) in Tennessee. Like others, they doubled their prices for the eclipse period. We were surprised it was available. I surmise that someone cancelled and our timing/luck was good.

If you're into camping you can put an alert on ReserveAmerica.com. If a site in a park you designate becomes available due to cancellation, you'll get an email. That not likely at this point, but it's possible.

I believe the same can be done on Recreation.gov, which is run by ReserveAmerica. It covers National Park Service, National Forest Service, Corps of Engineers, Bureau of Land Management, and other federal properties.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:04 am

adamthesmythe wrote:I have a reservation in Ft. Collins CO and am expecting to drive up the interstate in the direction of Casper WY.

I would appreciate thoughts about how realistic this is. The room is cancellable.

Rooms in Casper are either unavailable or at truly astonishing prices.
Good idea, I also saw that Ft Collins option a few months ago and was tempted to try that.
I don't see a problem but I am not familiar with the territory. You could go to Wyoming or alternately Nebraska.

In the end we have family in IL outside St Louie so we will drive there and try to head to Carbondale or there abouts. Driving means I can take my trusty (almost said trustee) old 6-inch Dobsonian, the one with the skeeter splats on the tube.

We can go to Kansas City if we need to due to weather.
My wife is a quilter so that means Padukah, KY and Hamilton, MO are of interest.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:54 am

Anywhere but Lincoln Beach, Oregon, the first point of contact. I live three miles north of the spot. Our community has been holding workshops for the past three months focusing on getting our affairs in order so we don't have to drive anywhere. Even though we won't be mobile, we are urged to get food, water, gas, cash, batteries for cell phones, etc.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:31 am

neilpilot wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
Neilpilot, how would a pilot navigate during the eclipse, if the special glasses are almost opaque under ordinary conditions.
Ah, another question: When a plane is flying straight into the sun, do pilots wear special glasses? (It's not like on the ground driving a car, where there are other cars all around, and one still needs to see them...)
Interesting...!

RM
As I understand this, the potential for eye damage exists whenever you view the sun directly. The hazard is greater during the eclipse simply because the lower intensity of VISIBLE light does not induce the natural tendency to look away.

I would guess that, during the eclipse, the pilot would need to mentally avoid directly viewing the sun. When I fly directly into the sun, I may or may not wear regular (not polarized) glasses, the same way a driver manages in an auto. I do have a tinted plastic film that I can slap on the windshield, but I rarely use it. My sun visors only cover the top fraction of the windshield, and are usually ineffective unless the sun is high (just like in your car).

I'd navigate the same as always, usually by GPS.
Do not fly, drive, or walk while wearing the glasses that allow you to look directly at the sun. You won't see anything else. Don't assume welding goggles or hood is dark enough. It is not. There are cheap glasses ($5-25) available that are certified for safe solar viewing. Anyone outside the path of totality (and if your are in the path, before and after totality), should wear them whenever looking at the sun.

Multiple credible sources have convinced me that ONLY IF YOU ARE IN THE PATH and DURING TOTALITY that it is perfectly safe to look at the eclipse and view the corona without any filters. This is why people go to the area of totality. Totality is while the moon's disc completely covers the sun's disc. You won't see anything if you leave the special viewing glasses on during this time. Totality begins when the last bit of white light is gone, right after the "beads" or "diamond ring" effect. Don't look at these. It ends at the first sliver of white light or "diamond ring" effect. Put those certified solar viewing glasses back on.

Don't stress about getting exactly on the center of the path of totality. It is about 30 miles wide this time, and if your are within a 15 mile wide center band you will get only a few seconds less time in totality (like 2 minute 10 instead of a 2 minute 30) (I've played with lot with simulation maps on the internet). If you are going to be anywhere near the path it is worth the effort to get inside the path. If it is not TOTAL it is just a mild dimming and an interesting view through the safe glasses. Interesting, but not the spectacular view of the corona.

(minor edits for clarity)

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:43 am

I'm in Nashville, and we were planning to drive 25 miles or so out to a cousin's house outside of Gallatin, smack underneath the path.

But now you guys have me wondering about how bad the traffic will be, and whether or not it might be worth just staying in town. Hmmm... :annoyed
Stay on target...

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:01 am

To avoid crowds, we've decided to cancel our room and car rental in Nashville. We will simply fly to a small airport Monday morning before the start, probably the KY Dam State Park airport. Destination may change depending on weather.

We plan to pack chairs and refreshment, picnic on the airport grounds, and then depart for home afterwards. That way we will not be on the roads anywhere near the eclipse path.

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:26 am

JupiterJones wrote:I'm in Nashville, and we were planning to drive 25 miles or so out to a cousin's house outside of Gallatin, smack underneath the path.

But now you guys have me wondering about how bad the traffic will be, and whether or not it might be worth just staying in town. Hmmm... :annoyed
If your cousin could drive down 109 and pick you up, you could catch the train from Riverfront station at 825AM; arrive in Lebanon Station at 915a.m. A little tighter coming back, but the 3:54 departure from Lebanon should be easy to get.

(I'm dubious about the traffic projections, but we'll see....)
Edit Signature

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:34 am

This is an interesting map showing the chance of clouds along the path: http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/0 ... re_th.html

We're going to Idaho (which will be awful, don't go there!) and plan to get up at 5AM for a 2 hr (hopefully) drive to the centerline for the 11:30 totality. We're anticipating a apocalyptic traffic event and have several alternative routes mapped out. Good luck to all! If it doesn't work out we have 2024 to try again.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:28 pm

neilpilot wrote:We will simply fly to a small airport Monday morning before the start, probably the KY Dam State Park airport.
Sounds like a great idea!

(But it got me wondering... if, for example, an IFR pilot wasn't current on his/her night flying, could they legally carry passengers during an eclipse? It would be dark as night, but not meet the technical definition of it.)
Stay on target...

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:38 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
jriding wrote:
adamthesmythe wrote:I have a reservation in Ft. Collins CO and am expecting to drive up the interstate in the direction of Casper WY.

I would appreciate thoughts about how realistic this is. The room is cancellable.

Rooms in Casper are either unavailable or at truly astonishing prices.
Very reasonable plan. You could also look into staying in Cheyenne if you wanted to be a little closer. It's about a three hour drive to Casper and totality is listed as 11:42MDT. Normally the highway between Fort Collins and Casper has very little traffic, but not sure how the eclipse will effect that. You might want to allow some extra drive time just in case.
Tried Cheyenne first, when I looked it was very high. Now showing totally sold out.
You don't need to drive all the way to Casper. The path goes over Glendo, WY which is about 80 miles southeast of Casper and also on I-25. There is a large reservoir and campground just outside of town. Although at this point it's is probably full. That area is so wide open that if you get caught in traffic you could simply pull off the road and watch the eclipse go by.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:55 pm

neilpilot wrote:We will simply fly to a small airport Monday morning before the start, probably the KY Dam State Park airport. Destination may change depending on weather.

We plan to pack chairs and refreshment, picnic on the airport grounds, and then depart for home afterwards. That way we will not be on the roads anywhere near the eclipse path.
Apparently you're not the only one planning to fly in for it:

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/S ... 442-1.html
In Oregon, GA airports in the path of totality already are reporting that they are fully booked up for the event. Pilots will be camping out with their airplanes, beer gardens are planned and car rentals are hard to find and expensive. [...] One San Francisco area flying club told AVweb that more than half of their 50 airplanes already are scheduled to be in Oregon or Idaho for the celestial event.

In Nebraska, Diana Smith, manager of the Beatrice Municipal Airport, told the Nebraska Radio Network she’s heard from pilots across the country who want to fly in for the eclipse. “I would say it will probably be the [most traffic] that we’ve seen at one time, especially since everybody will be coming in all at once,” she said. The airport will close its diagonal runway to park the overflow of aircraft.
Interesting comment at the end of the article:
At KSTJ (St. Joseph, MO), the FBO is being inundated with calls: the centre line of the eclipse is literally at the end of Rwy 35! They are expecting more people there than at their airshows
Stay on target...

Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:27 pm

We live in a suburb of Kansas City, KS and will be in the 99% path. Our question is whether to drive 10 miles for 100% or just stay in our backyard!

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:00 pm

Juliajones54 wrote:We live in a suburb of Kansas City, KS and will be in the 99% path. Our question is whether to drive 10 miles for 100% or just stay in our backyard!
I'll fly 700 miles just to be around 10 miles of the totality path.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:28 pm

neilpilot wrote:To avoid crowds, we've decided to cancel our room and car rental in Nashville. We will simply fly to a small airport Monday morning before the start, probably the KY Dam State Park airport. Destination may change depending on weather.

You might want to check out your plans with the airport manager, I'm guessing every other plane owner in the nation is thinking along the same lines.

We're in the path of totality, but planning to drive to BIL's house to get an extra minute, and avoid interstate highways. So the fallback plan is to stay put.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:56 pm

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
neilpilot wrote:To avoid crowds, we've decided to cancel our room and car rental in Nashville. We will simply fly to a small airport Monday morning before the start, probably the KY Dam State Park airport. Destination may change depending on weather.

You might want to check out your plans with the airport manager, I'm guessing every other plane owner in the nation is thinking along the same lines.

We're in the path of totality, but planning to drive to BIL's house to get an extra minute, and avoid interstate highways. So the fallback plan is to stay put.
Checked with the airport Manager couple weeks ago. Will recheck a few days prior.

TMCD75

Post by TMCD75 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:12 pm

I'll be watching from my front yard here in Lyon County, Kentucky. Our local agencies are preparing for a big influx of people. We are in the prime zone, I'm 90 miles NW of Nashville.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Juliajones54 wrote:We live in a suburb of Kansas City, KS and will be in the 99% path. Our question is whether to drive 10 miles for 100% or just stay in our backyard!
From what I have read it will be well worthwhile.

TMCD75

Post by TMCD75 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:52 pm

I live 8 miles from the KY Dam airport, it's a very small airport from my knowledge. Hope it works for you, Neil!!

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:06 pm

Watty wrote:
From what I have read it will be well worthwhile.
Agree, from everything we have read.

Apparently it is like night and day - literally :happy

RM

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:24 pm

TMCD75 wrote:I live 8 miles from the KY Dam airport, it's a very small airport from my knowledge. Hope it works for you, Neil!!
Appreciate your concern, but it's plenty big for my needs. No facility other than a restroom, not even fuel (which I won't need). It would be great if it was close enough to walk to Pattie's for an early lunch before the eclipse, though.

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 am

I suspect Patty's is going to be jammed - but that pork chop and pie is superb.

Here in Nashville, local media are reporting huge economic boom already happening all around the area.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:52 am

Early forecast: 20% rain on August 21st in the Nashville area.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:02 pm

TravelforFun wrote:Early forecast: 20% rain on August 21st in the Nashville area.
I saw 40%, "cloudy" about 2 hours ago (yeah, right up to the minute forecasting, 2 weeks out :wink: )

And the 3 days prior? Sunny, all 3 days (but with 20 % chance of rain).

What is the "best"weather forecasting and weather radar? Accuweather?
We'll be monitoring that radar unless it is all clear or all cloudy early that morning.

I'm really curious about whether the traffic apocalypse is over-hyped or if it's going to be a real "thing".

We figure that because Nashville is IN the path of totality, if worst comes to worst, we just stay put, and walk to a relatively open area.
Unless the sidewalks are all jammed packed like sardines. :shock:
Heh.. Maybe we should just sit on the curb starting at dawn?

RM

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:00 pm

TravelforFun wrote:Early forecast: 20% rain on August 21st in the Nashville area.
That forecast is too far out to be of any real value, and almost totally based on seasonal average. Only a forecast at 7 days out or less is worthwhile. I'd recommend tracking the NOAA CONUS outlook, starting on 8/15, for a reasonable estimation of forecast weather. Note that sky cover is a variable that this system forecasts. https://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/c ... k.php#tabs

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:25 pm

I feel like the traffic issue is being overhyped for most locations. Most people are not going; I only know a couple of people who are even talking about it. Now we will see if I am right or wrong!

Case59

Post by Case59 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:40 pm

onthecusp wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
Neilpilot, how would a pilot navigate during the eclipse, if the special glasses are almost opaque under ordinary conditions.
Ah, another question: When a plane is flying straight into the sun, do pilots wear special glasses? (It's not like on the ground driving a car, where there are other cars all around, and one still needs to see them...)
Interesting...!

RM
As I understand this, the potential for eye damage exists whenever you view the sun directly. The hazard is greater during the eclipse simply because the lower intensity of VISIBLE light does not induce the natural tendency to look away.

I would guess that, during the eclipse, the pilot would need to mentally avoid directly viewing the sun. When I fly directly into the sun, I may or may not wear regular (not polarized) glasses, the same way a driver manages in an auto. I do have a tinted plastic film that I can slap on the windshield, but I rarely use it. My sun visors only cover the top fraction of the windshield, and are usually ineffective unless the sun is high (just like in your car).

I'd navigate the same as always, usually by GPS.
Do not fly, drive, or walk while wearing the glasses that allow you to look directly at the sun. You won't see anything else. Don't assume welding goggles or hood is dark enough. It is not. There are cheap glasses ($5-25) available that are certified for safe solar viewing. Anyone outside the path of totality (and if your are in the path, before and after totality), should wear them whenever looking at the sun.

Multiple credible sources have convinced me that ONLY IF YOU ARE IN THE PATH and DURING TOTALITY that it is perfectly safe to look at the eclipse and view the corona without any filters. This is why people go to the area of totality. Totality is while the moon's disc completely covers the sun's disc. You won't see anything if you leave the special viewing glasses on during this time. Totality begins when the last bit of white light is gone, right after the "beads" or "diamond ring" effect. Don't look at these. It ends at the first sliver of white light or "diamond ring" effect. Put those certified solar viewing glasses back on.

Don't stress about getting exactly on the center of the path of totality. It is about 30 miles wide this time, and if your are within a 15 mile wide center band you will get only a few seconds less time in totality (like 2 minute 10 instead of a 2 minute 30) (I've played with lot with simulation maps on the internet). If you are going to be anywhere near the path it is worth the effort to get inside the path. If it is not TOTAL it is just a mild dimming and an interesting view through the safe glasses. Interesting, but not the spectacular view of the corona.

(minor edits for clarity)
Here is a good link from NASA on how to evaluate when it is safe to take off the glasses during totality.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/eye-safety ... ar-eclipse
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:00 am

I cannot believe it. Forecast now shows clear and sunny in Nashville on Monday.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:58 am

TravelforFun wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:00 am
Actually NOAA projection for Nashville at 1pm is for 30% sky cover. This is per their forecast outlook updated as of 7:30C this morning. It still should be sunny, but I'd expect scattered clouds. It's projected to be a bit clearer 150mi or so NW in KY.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:56 am

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:58 am
TravelforFun wrote:
Actually NOAA projection for Nashville at 1pm is for 30% sky cover. This is per their forecast outlook updated as of 7:30C this morning. It still should be sunny, but I'd expect scattered clouds. It's projected to be a bit clearer 150mi or so NW in KY.
NOAA has updated the Nashville sky cover forecast to 35%. Since this forecast is updated several times daily, I'll leave the link so anyone can look at sky cover forecasts for anywhere in the US.
https://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/c ... y.php#tabs

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:17 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:56 am
neilpilot wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:58 am
TravelforFun wrote:
NOAA has updated the Nashville sky cover forecast to 35%. Since this forecast is updated several times daily, I'll leave the link so anyone can look at sky cover forecasts for anywhere in the US.
https://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/c ... y.php#tabs
Here's the forecast page specifically for Nashville: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... Zc8bFEwAnb

And a nifty graph of various predicted weather elements (including sky cover): http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =graphical
Stay on target...

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:39 pm

One thing to keep in mind if there are light clouds where you are at is that the shadow of the eclipse can cause cooling of 5 to 15 degrees and in some situations this can cause some types of clouds to clear.
And maybe hope for a little luck: As the moon begins to partially cover the sun, a phenomenon called “eclipse cooling” begins: The lowering of air temperature may dissipate a thin cloud layer and save the day.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... r-eclipse/#