Pre-owned Acura's... Value of 'Certified'?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wannabogle

Pre-owned Acura's... Value of 'Certified'?

Post by wannabogle » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm looking at buying a preowned Acura from a local dealership. Likely a 2012-2013 TSX, TL, or TLX with under 45,000 miles in the $25000-$35,000 price range.

How much value and emphasis should I put on 'Certified Pre-owned' vs. just pre-owned?
Last edited by wannabogle on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mhalley

Re: Pre-owned Acura's... Value of 'Certified'?

Post by mhalley » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Cpo is just a marketing gimmick. You still need to get it checked by your mechanic before you buy.
From consumer reports:
. Most important, just because a car is certified does not necessarily mean it is trouble-free. Consumers have taken legal action claiming that certified inspections were not properly performed, or that certified vehicles had serious defects, some of which affected vehicle safety. Don’t assume that certification means the vehicle hasn’t been wrecked, flooded, or suffered other serious damage—or even that it has been properly inspected.

Bottom line: We think it’s fine to buy a noncertified car and bank any savings. Choose a reliable model and a vehicle that receives your mechanic’s approval. If you choose a CPO, be sure to read the fine print on any warranty that is offered to determine whether the vehicle has been certified by a manufacturer, dealer, or third party.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:51 pm

mhalley wrote:Cpo is just a marketing gimmick. You still need to get it checked by your mechanic before you buy.
From consumer reports:
. Most important, just because a car is certified does not necessarily mean it is trouble-free. Consumers have taken legal action claiming that certified inspections were not properly performed, or that certified vehicles had serious defects, some of which affected vehicle safety. Don’t assume that certification means the vehicle hasn’t been wrecked, flooded, or suffered other serious damage—or even that it has been properly inspected.

Bottom line: We think it’s fine to buy a noncertified car and bank any savings. Choose a reliable model and a vehicle that receives your mechanic’s approval. If you choose a CPO, be sure to read the fine print on any warranty that is offered to determine whether the vehicle has been certified by a manufacturer, dealer, or third party.

But doesn't CPO give you a guarantee?
I thought if it breaks down within he first 3 years, it'll cover any repairs? (Assuming its reputable like Honda/Acura)

fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:53 pm

yes, CPO comes with a warranty. Moreover, if your car is in the shop, your Acura dealership will likely give you a nice loaner while repairs are made. (Ask them about this.)

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 pm

The warranty varies by dealer/brand. You have to decide if it is worth it on each individual car. A warranty might be a must have on a car with a history of poor reliability, less so on one with great reliability.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:46 pm

You pay for CPO. Have you studied whether the buyer or the seller benefits more from the CPO designation?

The seller has.

JT

brennok

Post by brennok » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:29 pm

I would also price Carmax with their warranty. They are sometimes cheaper than CPO and with the extended warranty you can still go to the Acura dealer for warranty work.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:36 am

cutterinnj wrote:
mhalley wrote:Cpo is just a marketing gimmick. You still need to get it checked by your mechanic before you buy.
From consumer reports:

I thought if it breaks down within he first 3 years, it'll cover any repairs? (Assuming its reputable like Honda/Acura)
Last I checked, Honda/Acura offers a 1-year/12,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on CPOs. I've never seen a warranty as long as 3 years on anything other than a new car. The only value in buying a CPO over an ordinary used car is that extended warranty. Without the warranty, you're just buying a very over-priced used car.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:41 am

I just bought a CPO 2106 Nissan Maxima. The only benefit I saw is that the CPO status lengthens the powertrain warranty from 5 to 7 years. It didn't lengthen the bumper-to-bumper warranty beyond the normal new car length (3 years / 36k miles in the case of Nissan), which I still have. I did not place any value on the CPO program, nor did I pay any more for the car because of it. I would compare the price of the Acura you are looking at with other used cars of similar age/mileage and not attribute much value to the CPO program.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:43 am

Rupert wrote:
cutterinnj wrote:
From consumer reports:

Last I checked, Honda/Acura offers a 1-year/12,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on CPOs. I've never seen a warranty as long as 3 years on anything other than a new car. The only value in buying a CPO over an ordinary used car is that extended warranty. Without the warranty, you're just buying a very over-priced used car.
When I bought a CPO Lexus 8 years ago from the dealer, they did a "112 point inspection" or something like that? Maybe marketing hype, I don't know; but it included 3 years + at least 30000 miles (can't remember the exact number.) That plus a clean Carfax gave me some confidence in the purchase.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:52 am

cutterinnj wrote:
Rupert wrote:
cutterinnj wrote:
From consumer reports:

When I bought a CPO Lexus 8 years ago from the dealer, they did a "112 point inspection" or something like that? Maybe marketing hype, I don't know; but it included 3 years + at least 30000 miles (can't remember the exact number.) That plus a clean Carfax gave me some confidence in the purchase.
Yes, I stand corrected. Lexus does offer a 3-year CPO warranty. According to Car and Driver, it's the only one of its kind.

Dmanse02

Post by Dmanse02 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:01 am

We have bought Hondas in the past and Acura may do something similar. This is my understanding from a consumer standpoint: Buying certified pre-owned extends the manufacturer's warranty coverage. I believe any Honda from anywhere gets a 5-year/60k miles powertrain warranty. However, if you buy CPO, that powertrain warranty extends to 7-year/100k miles. The bumper-to-bumper also extends from 1-year/12k to 4-year/48k miles.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:06 am

You are buying a fairly new vehicle with a good reputation for reliability. If I were you, I would not pay extra for a CPO car and pocket the difference.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 am

From consumer reports:

I see this all the time but I have never found a mechanic that does this kind of work. I usually go to the dealer for my big service jobs. The local guys just change oil, hoses and general repairs. I been places where people call but the shop declines doing such inspections. Do you really think the local mechanic can find something major without spending hours driving the car and or tearing it apart.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:10 pm

I bought a CPO Volvo in 2006. Don't know how it works with other dealers but with Volvo the clock on the time-based warranty started ticking as of the car's original in-service date. For example, if the car is 2 years old when you buy it and they've added two years to the original 3 year new-car warranty, you are not getting a 5 year warranty - you're getting 3 years.
Friar1610

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:41 pm

friar1610 wrote:I bought a CPO Volvo in 2006. Don't know how it works with other dealers but with Volvo the clock on the time-based warranty started ticking as of the car's original in-service date. For example, if the car is 2 years old when you buy it and they've added two years to the original 3 year new-car warranty, you are not getting a 5 year warranty - you're getting 3 years.
This is the way GM works also; I recently bought a 2014 CPO Chevrolet that was put into service in early 2015; the original 3 year bumper to bumper warranty was extended an additional year so it goes to early 2019 with powertrain to 2021.

I think CPO is mainly a way to market really clean low mileage cars that get traded in. In my case, I don't feel I paid any more for the CPO designation - the car was priced to sell and it sold quickly and I think that was the dealer's intent. I had been looking for a specific car for a few months so when this one popped up, I jumped on it quickly. It was probably in the dealer's stock less than two weeks.

So - for something like an Acura - CPO is nice but I wouldn't pay more than a couple of hundred dollars more for that as it is already a very reliable brand.
Last edited by Kenkat on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRC

Post by TRC » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:24 pm

I've owned a 2012 TL and a 2014 TL. Not a single problem with either car. My current one is approaching 50K miles and running like a champ.

Foreign cars I think it pays to have CPO. For Honda's, I wouldn't pay a premium for it to be CPO.

rguina

Post by rguina » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:40 pm

I just purchased a CPO Honda (Acura is the luxury division of Honda). The price was very competitive w/ non-CPO cars with similar mileage and features. But I have the peace of mind of the warranty, plus a brand new set of tires and a fresh oil change. Changing the oil isn't a huge deal, but most dealers won't change the tires on a used car unless it's a safety issue.

Overall, I felt I was getting good value, which is why I bought that specific car. I didn't pay a premium for the CPO based on local market conditions.

Just do your research and you should have a good idea of what the market will support in your area. And also use comps to negotiate the price.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Something in the far reaches of my mind seems to recall that the Volvo dealer from whom I bought my CPO either intimated or outright told me this: CPOs have to meet a predetermined set of standards. Then the dealer buys what amounts to an extended warranty which is what allows the original warranty to be extended and any repairs covered. How much of the warranty's cost is passed on to the buyer vs. absorbed by the dealer is, I suppose, part of the price negotiation.
Last edited by friar1610 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friar1610

marielake

Post by marielake » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:51 pm

I bought my 2006 Acura TSX in 2008 with 16,000 miles. It was CPO and I purchased an extended warranty for about $1,000. Wasted my money. It is an excellent car, no problems except for replacing brakes. I'm now wondering if I keep it or sell while I can still get a decent price for it.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:03 pm

We bought a 3 year old Lexus CPO that came with a 3 year factory 100,000 mile warranty that matched the original new car warranty. My estimate is that we paid about $1500 more for the CPO over average market value. Over the three years that the CPO warranty was in effect, I made one claim for a faulty electrical switch (repair cost $700). For the one claim I made I was treated exactly like I had purchased a brand new Lexus (instead of one that was 3 years old) and the faulty item was replaced/repaired no questions asked.

In the subsequent 7 additional years (with no warranty) the car has had $0 total dollars spent on repairs. We have performed and paid for normal maint like filters, oil, brake pads, tires.

Every brand has widely different CPO T&Cs for how long it lasts and what is covered so it is important to understand the details. As long as you understand the premium being paid, a CPO deal can be a reasonable deal or a terrible one depending on the estimated premium cost of CPO coverage and the car.

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:38 pm

Blueskies123 wrote:

I see this all the time but I have never found a mechanic that does this kind of work. I usually go to the dealer for my big service jobs. The local guys just change oil, hoses and general repairs. I been places where people call but the shop declines doing such inspections. Do you really think the local mechanic can find something major without spending hours driving the car and or tearing it apart.
That's why. I do all my service at my independent mechanic. Once you develop a relationship with an independent full-service mechanic, they will gladly do an inspection for you for a fee. You haven't been able to build that relationship since you do all your major work at a dealer. I also assure you that even when dealers do a "cpo" they don't spend multiple hours "tearing up the car". It starts as a visual inspection and they'd only open something up if they see something that concerns them.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:36 am

Another thing you get from your local trusted independent is his experience of working with all makes and model and knows which ones help put his kids through colleges. When you have a relationship with such a shop, he will steer you away from purchasing that mint sexy looking pre-owned Audi RS! Unfortunately, mine only recommends Honda/Toyota as pre-owned cars. Even Subarus and Nissans are not on his "good list" :-(

ff4930

Post by ff4930 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:27 am

I bought my Acura TL 08 CPO 4 years ago. CPO comes with great warranty and usually dealership choose cars that are in good shape to CPO. Haven't had any issue with it. I think its a good piece of mind buying CPO vs just PO.