Missing charge - should I go back and inquire?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vveat

Missing charge - should I go back and inquire?

Post by vveat »

Three weeks ago I needed to make a photo book for a gift. Time was of essence since we were going abroad within a week (i.e. 2 weeks ago from now) - so I didn't use my usual online photo site, and didn't use Costco either since I had some issues with them last time. I opted to make the book on CVS Photos and have it for next day pick up in our local pharmacy, they make decent photos and books, even if no frills.

Next day when I showed up they had printed the photo pages, but were out of covers and asked me to come 4 days later. That would be still in time, I agreed, purchased a few other items and left. 4 days later they were still out of covers, asked me to come the next day. The next day same thing, the photo guy already remembered me, spoke to his manager and told me to go to the next town CVS where they will have covers. He handed me the printed pages and told me I am all set to go. Fine, I asked them to call ahead and drove over. Lo and behold, the next town pharmacy photo printer doesn't support this size, so they didn't have that cover either. They redirected me to one more town over, after making a call at my request to make sure that pharmacy does have this size covers. It did and the book was finally finished. All in all, 3 trips, and maybe an hour of hassle/driving around for me, no arguments, they tried to be helpful.

We are still on our trip abroad but I was just reconciling some monthly expenses on Mint, and am 99% sure they haven't charged me for the book. I was purchasing other stuff for the trip at CVS each time including some stand alone photos, and when the guy gave me the sheets he explicitly said I am all set, so I didn't think I hadn't paid for it at the original time. But the amounts on my card do not seem large enough to include a charge of the photo book size - which was I think near $40.

Should I go once we are back in the US and ask them to check if the order was paid - can they even check them since the order was placed online, and you pay at the cash desk. This will be 4 weeks after the event. Or do I assume they have waived the payment because of the hassle (or possibly I am mistaken and it's somewhere in these charges).
squirm

Re: Missing charge - should I go back and inquire?

Post by squirm »

Talk to the CVS you got the book from and ask them of you were charged.

I once went back to home depot and told them they didn't charge me for forty feet of baseboard. I got a very strange look from the girl working the register like I was high on drugs, but they did oblige. Go figure.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Maybe they waived the charge due to all the problems you had? Since it was such a hassle, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to pay it.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I like to sleep at night with an untroubled conscious so if it was me, I would talk to them when I returned and see if they charged me and offer to pay it. Most likely if they remember you, they will wave you off and tell you to have a nice day.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Its possible when the guy said "Your all set to go" that was his way of saying "We waived all charges for you".
On the other hand its possible that they forgot to charge you. If you are concerned (sounds like you are since you took the time to write this) - I'd return with my receipt and ask.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

I would NOT go back to any national chain store and say you took something without paying for it.

This has happened to me or my wife several times. Usually it is the checkout person forgetting to scan an item. 3 or 4 times we went back and tried paying for it, they said don't worry about it (all major national chains). The last time we ever tried, at Target, the woman said you can leave right now or we'll call the cops for theft - I didn't stick around to ask her how that made sense. But after that last experience, if there is an inadvertent no charge on some item from a MAJOR national store, then I will let it slide. Looks like "loss prevention" at the major stores has gone haywire.

Smaller/local places are happy to charge you and I'm happy to pay for what I get!
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

new2bogle wrote:I would NOT go back to any national chain store and say you took something without paying for it.

This has happened to me or my wife several times. Usually it is the checkout person forgetting to scan an item. 3 or 4 times we went back and tried paying for it, they said don't worry about it (all major national chains). The last time we ever tried, at Target, the woman said you can leave right now or we'll call the cops for theft - I didn't stick around to ask her how that made sense. But after that last experience, if there is an inadvertent no charge on some item from a MAJOR national store, then I will let it slide. Looks like "loss prevention" at the major stores has gone haywire.

Smaller/local places are happy to charge you and I'm happy to pay for what I get!
^ this. If I notice they forget to scan something I will mention "oh you forgot this on the bottom of the cart" or whatever. I have no problem paying for what I put in the cart.

But if I don't notice, and they don't notice, no way am I going back in, or back to, the store to square up. YMMV. Just being honest with you all.

EDIT: to the OP...flukey things happen. I'd wait and that charge may just pop up after all. I've had them pop up several weeks later after appearing in the 'pending' section, and then disappearing for quite some time.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Check your CC statement at the end of the month. I once had a charge from a retailer that was absent when I checked my card online, but when I contacted the retailer they insisted the charge had gone through. The charge eventually appeared on the monthly statement, but never did show up online.

I second the advice that you probably should not go back to a national retail chain and report that you weren't properly charged for something.