Cellular Data Usage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LifeIsGood

Cellular Data Usage

Post by LifeIsGood » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:34 am

I have a prepaid cellular plan on Puppy Wireless (Verizon MVNO). I don't use a lot of data and my 100mb allotment per month is usually adequate. Recently I've been chewing through my limit in just a couple of weeks. No new apps installed, no change in settings. I have an iPhone 6s running IOS 10.2.1. Yesterday I installed a data monitoring app and it shows that I've used 62.2 kb of data in the last 15 hours and my phone has not left the house and wifi has been available the entire time.
Can anyone explain what's going on and how to plug this leak? Thanks.

bluebolt

Re: Cellular Data Usage

Post by bluebolt » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:59 am

Go to Settings->Cellular.

Switch off "Wi-Fi Assist" and see if that helps.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:09 am

Sometimes services such as virtual voice mail and multimedia messages (MMS) is causing that. I guess technically this is ok and there is no way around.
If you want to make sure that there is no leak, just turn your mobile data off
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:23 am

On Android I have background data blocked on nearly every app. JuiceDefender also shuts off the data pipe whenever the phone goes into sleep mode.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:05 am

The amount of data used by itself really isn't helpful in tracking this down. You can see app usage of cellular data and even disable cellular data usage for individual apps (as well as toggle cellular data as suggested above) in Settings->Cellular on your iPhone. You'll probably want to reset the statistics to track just your current usage. On my iPhone, statistics have been collected since 2013, for example. To reset, scroll all the way to the bottom and tap Reset Statistics. You'll see the date & time of the last reset just under.

However, as pointed out above, there are features such as visual voicemail & MMS that require cellular data so if you've had an increase in such activity that could be why you're seeing more mobile data usage. You'll see such things included under System Services near the bottom. Note that you can't just use the System Services total as it includes things that can use WiFi if available.
LifeIsGood wrote:I've used 62.2 kb of data in the last 15 hours
I'm not sure that span of time is going to be the best sample. That rate of data usage would be just under 2MB in 30 days if my math is correct, Your usage rate probably isn't fixed but assuming a fixed rate it would require just under 4.5MB per 15 hours to get to 100MB in 2 weeks.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:40 am

bluebolt wrote:Go to Settings->Cellular.

I switched that off a couple of months ago but no difference.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:13 am

LifeIsGood wrote:
bluebolt wrote:Go to Settings->Cellular.

I switched that off a couple of months ago but no difference.
Then I would do what the poster above said and turn off cellular data when at home.

mjdaniel

Post by mjdaniel » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:19 am

I am on Puppy also with a 200 MB a month data plan. I am running Android, but shouldn't matter too much. I always have data off, and stay connected to my home wifi since that is unlimited. When I am out and wifi is not available and I want to take a quick look at email or Facebook, I turn data on for a short period, check things, then turn it back off. Also, I have app update turned off and manually update my apps. Using this method, I have managed my data usage.

WorkToLive

Post by WorkToLive » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:23 am

Is it possible Location Services is using data? Could you try disabling Location Services?

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:48 pm

WorkToLive wrote:Is it possible Location Services is using data? Could you try disabling Location Services?
Yes Location
Services is enabled. I'll definitely disable that. Its now 1:45 pm and I'm now showing 15.3MB used in 7 hours. I have been away from Wifi but only made a 1 minute call. No texts sent, no apps running.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:23 pm

LifeIsGood wrote:
WorkToLive wrote:Is it possible Location Services is using data? Could you try disabling Location Services?
Yes Location
Services is enabled. I'll definitely disable that. Its now 1:45 pm and I'm now showing 15.3MB used in 7 hours. I have been away from Wifi but only made a 1 minute call. No texts sent, no apps running.
Have you done a full shutdown and reboot? Upgrade to newest iOS? How about Icloud backups?

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:52 pm

I'm Android, not iOS, but this thread got me poking around anyway.
I have a data saver function I can enable to prevent apps from updating via cellular data in the background.
But this is how you get certain notifications when you're on the move, away from WiFi.

I pay $10/GB for cellular data and seldom use more than 1 GB per month unless I'm traveling a lot. So for a dollar or two, I'm not too concerned about minor background data usage.

Nonetheless, I did go through a list of apps I use and disabled some of them from using cell data in the background...
Attempted new signature...