Chrome vs Firefox

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
squirm

Chrome vs Firefox

Post by squirm » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Long time user of Firefox, but as I wrote previously it was getting very slow. Reinstalled it after deleting all the files and profiles with it, and only installed one ad blocker and the Lastpass add on. Still painfully slow and even worse, Lastpass took forever to populate the fields when logging onto my financial sites, even after installing the latest FF that uses separate process threads per tab. Switched over to Chrome and works great with Lastpass and isn't painfully slow.

Not sure what is going on with FF, been using it for eons didn't want to switch but had now choice. Anyone else experiencing this issue with FF?

stlutz

Re: Chrome vs Firefox

Post by stlutz » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:06 pm

I find it to be inconsistent. On the machine I'm typing from now, no issues. I have another machine where I do experience waits. Both machines are on Windows 10.

No issues on Linux.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:15 pm

squirm wrote:Long time user of Firefox, but as I wrote previously it was getting very slow. Reinstalled it after deleting all the files and profiles with it, and only installed one ad blocker and the Lastpass add on. Still painfully slow and even worse, Lastpass took forever to populate the fields when logging onto my financial sites, even after installing the latest FF that uses separate process threads per tab. Switched over to Chrome and works great with Lastpass and isn't painfully slow.

Not sure what is going on with FF, been using it for eons didn't want to switch but had now choice. Anyone else experiencing this issue with FF?
I have been using Chrome with the rest of the Google suite for years, including Project Fi, with no problems. Their stuff all works together very well.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:29 pm

I prefer Firefox over Chrome for privacy reasons, but it is true that Firefox is becoming more bloated.

Since Firefox will be undergoing a major change in the fall -- I think version 57 (don't hold me on the exact number) -- I had already been looking at alternatives.

Sea Monkey - I like it's classic look, but it's a Mozilla project and is expected to undergo the same changes as Firefox

Pale Moon - a fork of Firefox that has divorced itself from Mozilla. It's what I use most of the time now and really like it. It seems snappier. It supports most extensions (or has its own alternatives). The only issue I've found is that with pages with lots of huge images, the images seem to load slower than with Firefox. That's not really an issue from my perspective though.

Waterfox - I just heard of this. It's a privacy-enhanced browser that some Firefox users are considering moving to. It is also faster than Firefox.

Vivaldi - I had never heard of it -- and don't know anything about it, but some Firefox users are considering moving to.

As for the impending FF changes, the system for add-ons (extensions) will be changed, with current add-ons being deprecated and there will be security changes which I suppose are good (I haven't really read about them) but will reportedly require more RAM.

So again, Pale Moon gets my vote for the time being.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:58 pm

squirm wrote:Long time user of Firefox, but as I wrote previously it was getting very slow. Reinstalled it after deleting all the files and profiles with it, and only installed one ad blocker and the Lastpass add on. Still painfully slow and even worse, Lastpass took forever to populate the fields when logging onto my financial sites, even after installing the latest FF that uses separate process threads per tab. Switched over to Chrome and works great with Lastpass and isn't painfully slow.

Yes, it's LastPass, not Firefox. From: Subject: What to do with all these passwords ?
LadyGeek wrote:For the past week or so, Firefox was noticeably slower to respond. Not just in page load times, but switching between tabs and filling in my login entries - which are done by LastPass.

A few days ago, Firefox came to a screeching halt. For example, clicking to switch a tab resulted in many seconds of delay. Was this malware? I'm on Linux, but did what I could to check running processes - nothing found.

Chrome also seemed to be a bit slower. Is it my ISP? Nope, ping times are reasonable. Out of desperation, I disabled LastPass and all my speed problems disappeared. :shock:

A google search shows that LastPass has broken compatibility with FireFox. A lot of users also dislike the new UI. The LastPass support forum has a number of complaints and one star reviews are now appearing on the Firefox add-on site.

LastPass is unceremoniously dumped into the bit bucket. :annoyed The passwords have been exported into a .csv file stored in an encrypted TrueCrypt volume.

I've been using KeePass Password Safe as my main password and data vault. LastPass was only used for online login info - I never fully trusted it.

KeePass is now front and center for online access. I've installed KeeFox :: Add-ons for Firefox, which is working just fine. It's not quite as convenient as a built-in browser app, but it does what I need.
A quick scan of the LastPass support forum shows LastPass complaints on the increase.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

garnertr

Post by garnertr » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:25 am

Chrome - I am a happy Chrome user.

Remember - Each to their own liking. Download those alternative browsers and test them out use them on your favorite sites and see how it hangs, if you like it it and it supports the "extensions" that you prefer then switch, otherwise...

Test

Research

Apply

uninstall

:)

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:21 am

Been using FireFox for several years with Adblock, LastPass, Click and Clean and a weather add-on.. no issues and still rocket fast. Win 10 PC.

wander

Post by wander » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:39 am

Chrome used to be my choice until recently when it used too much memory whenever I opened more tabs. My computer has 8GB DRAMM which is considered large or better than average, but I constantly receive warning message that computer memory is running low when open 8 - 10 tabs. Now, I am back to Firefox and it runs much faster and clean. It is nice to have alternative.
I think it may work if I uninstall Chrome and reinstall it fresh again, but I don't bother for now since Firefox is quite good.

hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:46 am

I have issue with Lastpass taking a while before generating the auto fill using FF. FF is running well but just noticed Vanguard's site is not fully compatible with FF any more. If you go to the list of funds page at Vang, you can't click on any of the funds. I think this just started last few weeks.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:51 am

I've been using Firefox for years but it is getting slower and sometimes takes 15 seconds to load. I use chrome also and no such issues. I stick with Firefox because I still get classic menu bar and like that layout better but I should probably try to get over that.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:00 am

Both browsers have their pluses and minuses. I seem to have much less trouble with page layout using Chrome, but there have been one or two isolated instances where I simply could not accomplish the task at hand with it. Case in point, I recently tried to change the password on DW's 401k account, but each attempt was met with an error message claiming that the "service was temporarily unavailable". After "temporarily" turned into several days, I emailed the fund manager, who responded that they had received no complaints. When I tried using Firefox, the error disappeared and I was able to change the password.

It should be noted that I'm running Linux, and therefore native Linux versions of both browsers. I suspect that there are quite a few differences between the Linux versions and the Windows versions, so I have no idea whether the ultimate problem I was experiencing was attributable to difference in browsers or to differences in how the browsers were ported between OS's.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Howie

Post by Howie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:10 am

I, too, was a longtime FF user and had tried its various offshoots (Waterfox, Pale Moon, etc.) but also grew tired of its deteriorating performance. At the moment on my Win10 machine I use Chrome on one monitor for Google products (Gmail, Maps, Flights, etc.) and other websites which greatly benefit being displayed on a vertically-oriented monitor (e.g., Wall Street Journal). On my horizontal monitor I now use Vivaldi and find value in its integral "tab stacking" capability.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:07 am

It seemed to me that Firefox got much slower and buggier (locked up,computer needed restart or Firefox killed with Task Manager then restarted) after about version 48.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:11 am

Wakefield1 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:07 am
It seemed to me that Firefox got much slower and buggier (locked up,computer needed restart or Firefox killed with Task Manager then restarted) after about version 48.
I recently did a "Refresh" with my installation of Firefox. It made a huge difference.

I use both FF and Chrome. Chrome stays logged into Google so I can see my calendar and Google Drive. Firefox is where I do almost everything else, including search. That way (I think), my other browsing and search do not get associated with my Google account. Some of my browsing is also done in a Linux Mint Virtual Machine to completely isolate it.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:16 am

I started looking at alternatives to Firefox when I discovered that it frequently makes unwanted connections (phoning home), especially at start-up. Mozilla has a guide to disabling these connections and I disabled about 50 of them (seriously), but it was whack-a-mole.

These are not malware connections but simply connections that Mozilla thinks is okay, since their belief is that everyone has a fast, modern computer that will hide the delays incurred by these connections. Since I have slow, un-modern computer as my daily driver, I DID notice and started to look for alternatives.

That's why I moved to Pale Moon for most browsing.

There were a few other browsers I could have tried, but some require a 64-bit computer so that rules me out (unless I switch to my 64-bit computers that I use for other things rather than as a daily driver.)

I don't use Google or Google products so I've never even tried Chrome.

I would love to see the development of a lean, fast browser that isn't based on Windows or Google and that works with older computers. I may have to wait till eternity. :)

In the meantime, I like Pale Moon quite a bit.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:26 am

I primarily use Firefox. I have been unable to get Flash installed, so to see something with Flash, I go to chrome.

The problem with chrome is since it has flash, it is always running video crap in various tabs and getting hung up, so I only use it for isolated stuff.

The benefit of chrome is that it has High Contrast that can be enabled, which is a real winner for sites that have pale thin type.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:40 am

mouses wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:26 am
I primarily use Firefox. I have been unable to get Flash installed, so to see something with Flash, I go to chrome.

The problem with chrome is since it has flash, it is always running video crap in various tabs and getting hung up, so I only use it for isolated stuff.

The benefit of chrome is that it has High Contrast that can be enabled, which is a real winner for sites that have pale thin type.
Flash is eventually going away. Mozilla (Firefox) is the first to transition or start transitioning away from it. But Adobe is committed to stopping production of Flash. There has been a schedule announced for the phase-out, I believe. Html-5 as the standard in browsers is supposed to take over the tasks that Flash is now performing.

URSnshn

Post by URSnshn » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:16 pm

You can easily disable Flash in Chrome.

Settings / Advanced / Privacy and Security / Content Settings / Flash

and then block it.

Some important sites still run Flash - I turn it on when I need it and disable it immediately after.

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:50 pm

I have been using Opera on my Mac, so far very happy with it.
"My idea of rich is ordering the most expensive thing at Denny's"

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Just an update.i have formally switched to chrome. Ff was getting pathetically slow and lastpass didn't work well with it. Only problem with chrome is scrolling seems off at times and of i slightly inadvertently touch the screen on a link, it takes action.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:04 pm

There's these articles from today:

Mozilla’s Firefox Quantum browser is ridiculously fast - TNW
Firefox Quantum challenges Chrome in browser speed - CNET
'Project Quantum' Doubles Firefox's Performance In Latest Beta - Tom's Hardware

Perhaps if you've experienced slowness with Firefox, it might be interesting to see if Firefox Quantum is faster for you.

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:03 pm

harikaried wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:04 pm
There's these articles from today:

Mozilla’s Firefox Quantum browser is ridiculously fast - TNW
Firefox Quantum challenges Chrome in browser speed - CNET
'Project Quantum' Doubles Firefox's Performance In Latest Beta - Tom's Hardware

Perhaps if you've experienced slowness with Firefox, it might be interesting to see if Firefox Quantum is faster for you.
Chrome is working very fast for me. I was a diehard FF user...but then it got all slow, it keeps calling home, and the final straw was not working with Lastpass.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:52 pm

squirm wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:57 pm
Just an update.i have formally switched to chrome. Ff was getting pathetically slow and lastpass didn't work well with it. Only problem with chrome is scrolling seems off at times and of i slightly inadvertently touch the screen on a link, it takes action.
LOL

Great timing.

Reminds me of my timing on purchasing and selling shares of my mutual funds.

https://www.techspot.com/news/71150-moz ... antum.html

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:19 am

Diehard FF and Chrome user. Just for different purposes. Firefox for general browsing, Chrome for more serious matters. Opera for some things. Sometimes Safari.

Only notice a performance "hit" when using a VPN or Tor. Maybe I'm not that sensitive to milliseconds of performance.

testing321

Post by testing321 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:56 pm

I have been using Firefox for years on my Windows PC without issues. I use Chrome on my phone and tablet but have been reluctant to switch on the PC because I of some extensions that I use, AdBlock Plus and No Script. NoScript lets you see a list of websites that are hosting java scripts on the current page that you are viewing and you can allow the scripts to run temporarily or permanently from each of the sites listed. The goal is to run scripts from as few sites as necessary for the current webpage to function. I don't need scripts from doubleclick, crwdcntrl, scoreCardResearch, liveperson, facebook and twitter. Many pages function without allowing any scripts, like BHs.

On my tablet or phone, you can set java scripts not to run in Chrome and then make exceptions for sites that need them, but if you do, it allows all the scripts referenced on that page to run, not just ones from selected sites like No Script. Most of my bookmarked websites on Chrome run without scripts allowed.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:58 pm

testing321 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:56 pm
I have been using Firefox for years on my Windows PC without issues. I use Chrome on my phone and tablet but have been reluctant to switch on the PC because I of some extensions that I use, AdBlock Plus and No Script. NoScript lets you see a list of websites that are hosting java scripts on the current page that you are viewing and you can allow the scripts to run temporarily or permanently from each of the sites listed. The goal is to run scripts from as few sites as necessary for the current webpage to function. I don't need scripts from doubleclick, crwdcntrl, scoreCardResearch, liveperson, facebook and twitter. Many pages function without allowing any scripts, like BHs.
If NoScript ever stops working, UBlockOrigin is also available. In the advanced mode, one can block inline scripts, lst-party scripts and 3rd-party scripts along with blocking ads and other undesireable features. It's good to have a number of extensions to fall back on. I'm wondering how FF's shift to Web Extensions in ver. 57 is going to effect all these extensions. I've heard some of them will be less capable, but hopefully the core functionality remains.

BTW, I've found that some sites that supposedly require javascript don't require it when you change the UserAgent. :) (There are extensions for that.)

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:42 pm

With FF ver 55.x.x things started to not function and other things were running slow. V 56.x.x is a bit better but still not like it was prior to v 55.x.x

So I disabled the "legacy" addons or extensions I forget which they are called (AdBlock+ for example), I had 3 and then it really got bad, I was not happy and found myself a stranger in a strange land with Chrome. Desperate I got Chrome set up to look like FF does but then it dawned on me the vast number of ads and popups were killing me in FF and I used FF help to look for an ad blocking feature, there are a lot. I installed the newest (9/26) and just like that everything worked like prior to v 55.x.x and fast as usual. It was like a wipe and reload!

I'm keeping Chrome (I uninstalled it before discovering the new ad blocker) cuz it took a while to get it to where I have it but there are still things I don't know how to customize. I don't want to use Chrome as Google is too intrusive.

This new ad blocker on FF is amazing and a life saver.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:44 pm

Just want to point out that this very latest version of Safari packaged with the High Sierra upgrade is much snappier than the old version, although it seems to have trouble with using icons instead of words in the bookmark ribbon. Chrome is still preferable to me.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:53 pm

I forgot to add in my post that I often have 20-25 tabs opened at a time for about 5 minutes. On rare occasions I had 40-45 tabs open for about 5 minutes. Everything functioned as it should. Win 7 64 bit OS.

Howie

Post by Howie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:17 pm

I've been using Vivaldi for a period of time and find I use it most often on my Win10 machine. There are many features built into the browser and I find their tab stacking feature indispensable. It's built from the Chromium core and its code is updated frequently.

As it relates to FF, the new version (57 and still in beta) is amazingly fast. Add-ons will need to be updated by their respective authors as FF has embraced the WebExtensions methodology. Many have already been updated and as soon as Tab Mix Plus is available, I'll use it and Vivaldi interchangeably.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:21 pm

wander wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:39 am
My computer has 8GB DRAMM which is considered large or better than average
Your thinking is a little out of date on that. I wouldn't buy a Windows machine or Mac intending to run Chrome with less than than 16gb of ram. I think 8 gigs is pretty low.

wander

Post by wander » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:50 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:21 pm
wander wrote:
Your thinking is a little out of date on that. I wouldn't buy a Windows machine or Mac intending to run Chrome with less than than 16gb of ram. I think 8 gigs is pretty low.
I have switched to Firefox and never seen low memory warning again. Good job Google Chrome. Never had problem running Chrome before until recent month. And I do think 8 Gig is still large for just browser.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:35 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:21 pm
wander wrote:
For just browsing 8gb should be fine. I have many Windows 7 and 10 systems running fine with 4 and 6gb in an environment which is almost 100% browsing a hosted tax application. My own desktop has 16gb (W10) but I regularly have two browsers with multiple tabs, anemail client, Evernote and two VMs running at once.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Bud

Post by Bud » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:56 am

I have used SRWare Iron for 10 years. It is an opensource browser that uses Google Chrome code with the data tracking removed. It will work with any Chrome add-on.

If you still use Google as your search engine, that will be tracked accordingly. duckduckgo works well as a search engine that does not track your searches.

I have firefox installed and use it very occasionally.

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 am

I've used Opera for years and it's been flawless. They even have a free VPN that is available on a toggle switch.