December on Oahu - Northshore or Waikiki?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TTGO808

December on Oahu - Northshore or Waikiki?

Post by TTGO808 »

I'm planning a 10-day trip to Oahu in December. We will stay 5 nights at the Marriott Ko Olina resort, but I'm wondering if we should spend the other 5 nights at Turtle Bay on the northshore or in Waikiki. Things we want to do are boogieboard, visit Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona, hike Diamond Head and go to Hanauma Bay and many other beaches. I'm traveling with my wife, her mom, our infant and our 8 and 11-year old boys. Not sure if we will check out the Polynesian Cultural Center... we're from California and are around a lot of friends/people from the islands.

Is it better to stay the other 5 nights at Turtle Bay where we can easily rent a condo, or in Waikiki where we may be closer to some of the southshore attractions?

Thanks for any suggestions!
2pedals

Re: December on Oahu - Northshore or Waikiki?

Post by 2pedals »

If you like the conveniences of shopping, spas, tours, restaurants, sailboat rides, snorkeling trips and fishing trips, Waikiki has it all. No need for a rental car in Waikiki. When in Waikiki if I want to travel someplace on the Island I rent a car for the day (saves me some money). Also there are many short term rentals that include a kitchen that can cost even less than an hotel. Most of the time I just enjoy walking around or taking the bus to Honolulu for a bit of sightseeing. Northshore would be nice as well if you wish to avoid the crowded commercialized Honolulu/Waikiki area. Might get more wind and rain in December on the Northshore (great for surfing).
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

One advantage of Waikiki is that you would avoid the crosstown traffic which can be miserable at times.
fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 »

Depends how much you want to do near town and how many days of activities you would do on that side of the island. Driving back and forth from the north shore to east Oahu can get old. You could consider a vacation home outside of Waikiki or staying at a hotel on the edge of Waikiki.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

December is big surf season on the North Shore. Lots of surfers chasing world class waves. The south shore would likely be calmer. :happy
SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 »

Just returned from a week in Oahu. Stayed at Waikiki (Hale Koa) and really enjoyed everything. Rented a car and saw downtown, the historic places and the scenic views. Favorite morning was spent at the free Kamaka Ukulele factory tour, a real gem. (It probably means a bit more if you play a little uke). Snorkeled at Humanuma Bay and loved it; get there early (not hard for us mainlanders, since we all wake up at 5am HI time anyway) and you will have it all to yourselves. Once the crowds get there, the water becomes cloudy with stirred up sand and over-application of sunscreens. Pearl Harbor Memorial is always very crowded and you should check online for timed admissions to cut your wait. We had pondered staying a few days at Turtle Bay but decided against it. Drove up to North Shore on a Sunday and couldn't get near the place, too much traffic and tourists!!! (In other words, you may want to avoid Sundays!)
VaR

Post by VaR »

TTGO808 wrote:Things we want to do are boogieboard, visit Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona, hike Diamond Head and go to Hanauma Bay and many other beaches. I'm traveling with my wife, her mom, our infant and our 8 and 11-year old boys.
With kids in December, I wouldn't stay on the North Shore because if the surf is up, there won't be any beaches where the kids can go in the water. Maybe one small one that I know of. Oh wait, I see that Kuilima Cove might be ok too and that's where you're considering staying.

Given that, I think the prime determinant becomes whether you want to stay in two different resorts that are away from it all or whether you want to see the hubbub that is Waikiki.