Evaluating Asphalt Driveway Sealing Bid

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dougger5

Evaluating Asphalt Driveway Sealing Bid

Post by dougger5 »

My mother recently received an estimate for asphalt sealing, and I'm thinking it's a bit on the high side. So I'd appreciate some input.

I have read some previous threads on this subject, so I am aware that the accepted best method is to do this one's self with "airport grade" asphalt sealer. For various reasons, that's not an option here. I'm just trying to ensure that she gets a competent job done for a reasonable price. So here's the basis for the quote:
- Pre-treat ~2800 SF driveway for oil/gas stains as needed
- Clean with stiff brush and blower
- Fill ~200 LF of cracks with "commercial grade" filler
- Seal existing asphalt with Duraseal Ashpalt Emulsion Sealer (appears to refer to Henry HE127 sealer)

Price: $1020.00

Does this seem, er, "right"?
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai
LeeInTN

Re: Evaluating Asphalt Driveway Sealing Bid

Post by LeeInTN »

This one is difficult since the crack filling work can take some time compared to the sealing. Plain sealing runs about 15 - 18 cents per square foot in our area, so it would be good if you had a breakdown of how the proposed total was reached. Crack-filling could easily add a few hundred to your deal, so the price quoted might be appropriate. I'd talk with another reputable local contractor for a comparison quote.
Topic Author
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

LeeInTN wrote:This one is difficult since the crack filling work can take some time compared to the sealing. Plain sealing runs about 15 - 18 cents per square foot in our area, so it would be good if you had a breakdown of how the proposed total was reached. Crack-filling could easily add a few hundred to your deal, so the price quoted might be appropriate. I'd talk with another reputable local contractor for a comparison quote.
Good points :beer
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Several observations.

1. It depends on the area and neighborhood. I'm in central Jersey, kind of a high rent district. My 1,700 sq ft driveway was re-paved couple of years ago, so it was in great condition without cracks.

2. We've been using the same reputable outfit for over 10 years. Price was $285.

3. It was done with 2 coats by 3 guys (one is a super) in about 2 hours or less; thy had blowers and brushes to clean off and the rest was just re-sealing.

Your price seems to be on the high side. I'll get more bids.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Same size driveway as OP and we paid $600 for the first seal coat on a new asphalt overlay driveway, without any crack repairs, in South Florida.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Duplicate post. Oops.
Last edited by Fletch on Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Fletch wrote:I have had best results with hand poured from 5 gal bucket of sealer and hand brushed on. My driveway is 1700sf and takes about five 5 gallon buckets. Cost when I do it is about $30-$40/bucket for the highest grade sealer I could find (don't remember the brand, bought it at a True Value hardware store and it came in a yellow bucket). Having sealer hand poured and hand brushed by a contractor including crack fill costs $295 including about the same amount of sealer that I use, but I'm not certain of the grade of sealer used; it only lasted about 1/3 as long as when I did it but my back says thank you to me for having a contractor do it. It is a very easy, but messy job but more strenous on an old back than it looks. :?

I have had spray type seal coating done in the past. It does not last and does not penetrate into cracks as well as the brushed on - maybe is just the care taken by the applicator, not sure. But, I'll not have spray coating done again.
Topic Author
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

Thanks folks. I have strongly advised her to get at least one more estimate, offering to haul myself over to be present for it if she can swing it for the week of the 4th. We'll see.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Chip seal.