Surge Protector for Refrigerator

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Surge Protector for Refrigerator

Post by Leesbro63 »

A recent power surge zapped my frig circuit board. The repairman said to get a surge protector. Is there some special heavy duty thing required for a frig (versus, say, for a computer)?
lthenderson

Re: Surge Protector for Refrigerator

Post by lthenderson »

Had the same thing happen due to a lightening strike a couple years back. I just bought a surge protected outlet at the local hardware store and replaced the existing one. Since you can't see it due to being behind the refrigerator, it supposedly beeps when it has been tripped. I've never had that happen since I put it in place.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

You could also look into a whole house surge protector - I believe that exists.

Mid-40’s
telemark

Post by telemark »

Refrigerators don't draw that much current. I have my ancient fridge on a Kill-a-Watt, and it uses 120 watts max. So
an ordinary surge protector should be fine.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

mortfree wrote:You could also look into a whole house surge protector - I believe that exists.
This is what I did. I have high end surge protector's on my TV and computer equipment, but wanted something for the fridge, washer, dryer, water heater, oven, etc. as a just-in-case. Got a whole-house surge protector added to my electrical panel for $89 for the peace of mind.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

BrandonBogle wrote:
mortfree wrote:You could also look into a whole house surge protector - I believe that exists.
This is what I did. I have high end surge protector's on my TV and computer equipment, but wanted something for the fridge, washer, dryer, water heater, oven, etc. as a just-in-case. Got a whole-house surge protector added to my electrical panel for $89 for the peace of mind.
I tried to get this at my local home depot. I'm in socal where it barely rains.

They looked at me like I was crazy. Even my contractor said he'd never heard of it.

Is this more if an east cost thing?
Tracyfaa

Post by Tracyfaa »

tech_arch

Post by tech_arch »

My utility offers a surge protector at the meter, for either $6/month rental ($20 installation fee) or $300 purchase (free installation). It's supposed to protect appliances like our A/C, washer & dryer, and fridge. It offers no warranty against a direct lightning strike, though. We purchased it after a surge caused several hundred dollars worth of damage to our A/C.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

unclescrooge wrote:
BrandonBogle wrote:
I tried to get this at my local home depot. I'm in socal where it barely rains.

They looked at me like I was crazy. Even my contractor said he'd never heard of it.

Perhaps. When I called my area electricians for quotes, they all knew about it. But again, I only called local electricians.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I installed this whole house surge protector in about 15 minutes. It took me longer to gather my tools than it did to install.
http://www.amazon.com/Eaton-CHSPT2ULTRA ... 01AQAKRSS/

I chose it based on this review and the good Amazon reviews
https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2014/ ... rotection/

I also put these on my more expensive appliances
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000668YX/
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Definitely get the whole house surge protector.

There was an electrical problem in our neighborhood recently where several houses each had thousands of $ in damages - appliances, TVs, central AC, garage door openers, etc... The same thing took place about 15 years ago. We got the whole house protector back then and have never had an issue.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

unclescrooge wrote:I tried to get this at my local home depot. I'm in socal where it barely rains.

SoCal electricians should know what a whole house surge protector is. It's not just an east coast thing. Home Depot employees and general contractors may not know about it, but if your electrician doesn't know what it is, you might want to find a different electrician.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

+1 for the Luke Duke linked excellent Steve Jenkins article. Wish I'd read it sooner.

Didn't know about the Eaton unit when I installed my GE THQLSURGE unit (it's missing the Jenkins-recommended ground leg protection: L-G, N-G). But it seems to have worked okay as my next door neighbor (we're on the same utility transformer) is currently replacing some lost devices after a recent thunderstorm. Identified as bad so far: wireless phone base unit, sprinkler system controller, and all sprinkler system in-ground wiring to zone solenoid valves. I experienced no problems.

GE THQLSURGE whole-house surge protector, cheap and quick to install, but $better units are available.
See: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Whole-Hom ... /100143165

After reading the Jenkins article advocating defense in depth, thinking I might add the Eaton unit and mount it outside (it has an exterior enclosure) under my exterior whole-house generator transfer switch, so ahead of my GE unit.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

The Eaton unit, like what Luke Duke linked to, IMO has the best warranty and is probably on the upper end of quality. Installation is easy if you know what you're doing around electricity, but moving all of the breakers down 2 spaces can be annoying (short hots, labeling, etc.). Easier on a new panel.

Even with the whole house SP installed, you really should have a point-of-use SP on sensitive electronics.

If you're going with a whole house, and still want to cover the frig, I'd consider replacing the receptacle with surge protected one. Unless you have extra space behind the frig for strip... which most don't.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

I have a SP on our gas range-oven :oops:
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
Geneyus

Post by Geneyus »

My 20 year old a/c unit and 5ish year old water heater bit the dust on the same day in April, so I think it was some kind of power surge. When I removed the old water heater cord, the wires looked like they caught on fire inside the little metal box where the connections are made. $5,400 later, and I have a new complete A/C and furnace system and water heater. :? I was able to do the water heater myself.

I'm going to look into this "whole house" surge protector.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

We had a whole-house surge protector installed a few years ago. It didn't cost a whole lot, I'm thinking $300-$400 installed? It didn't take the electrician long. He wasn't too familiar with them--he got on the cell phone with the manufacturer to make sure he was installing it right, and I liked that. I have no idea if it works. We've had some thunderstorms--we once had a bright blue-white flash with a deafening firecracker-like sharp crack and no perceptible time delay, and a dark spot in our driveway the next day!--but before we installed it, we never had anything fried, and since we've installed it, we've never had anything fried, so who knows? The thing has two little green lights, one of which says "Surge protection is functioning when light is green" and the other of which says "LEDS are on" (????), and it sits there with its little green lights.

Anyway, it seems like a reasonable thing to do. It's right there next to the breaker box, installed by an electrician, and if anything in the house is properly grounded that should be...

I find it distracting that people in this thread are abbreviating "refrigerator" to four letters instead of the customary "fridge."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
mancich

Post by mancich »

+1 for a whole house SP. We have an Intermatic model installed right next to the main panel. I think it was $60, and my brother-in-law, who is an electrician, put it in for us. Cheap insurance. I still think it can't hurt, though, to use surge protectors inside on select appliances and electronics.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Not meaning to highjack this thread but my electrical panel doesn't have any open slots to add more circuit breakers. It's my understanding that all these require adding a breaker to install. Any other options for me?
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

We got this after our second refrigerator circuitboard fried seven years ago, and it hasn't gone bad since:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006BBAB/

-Marylander1
tech_arch

Post by tech_arch »

LifeIsGood wrote:Not meaning to highjack this thread but my electrical panel doesn't have any open slots to add more circuit breakers. It's my understanding that all these require adding a breaker to install. Any other options for me?
My utility offers one that installs behind your meter. Installation took less than 15 minutes. https://www.secoenergy.com/surge-protection/
telemark

Post by telemark »

nisiprius wrote:I find it distracting that people in this thread are abbreviating "refrigerator" to four letters instead of the customary "fridge."
Lightening is a word also, but not one related to electrical discharges.

Are any of these whole-house protectors usable in an apartment building?
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

Probably a separate issue but devices such as refrigerators and air conditioners with motorcompressors are subject to damage if their power is interrupted and then turned back on rapidly while the compressor is running,it requires a certain amount of time after stopping before it can restart because of residual backpressure in the refrigeration gas system and the fact that the motor has less torque at low speed than it has at normal loaded run speed.
Normally a "Klicxon" (spelling?) overload switch or thermal overload switch will open and then later close to attempt to restart the unit later but that might fail or not act fast enough to prevent damage to the windings in the stalled motor
some air conditioners used to carry a warning label "Wait two minutes before restarting"
basically pressure needing to equalize between the output side of the compressor and the feed (suction) side
I wish the Electric Utility company would,if it has to turn my power off for a couple seconds,go ahead and turn it off and keep it off for at least 2 minutes so as not the jeopardize my compressors.
tech_arch

Post by tech_arch »

telemark wrote: Are any of these whole-house protectors usable in an apartment building?
Some of these install along side the breaker panel, so they might be an option. I would discuss with your landlord.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

LifeIsGood wrote:Not meaning to highjack this thread but my electrical panel doesn't have any open slots to add more circuit breakers. It's my understanding that all these require adding a breaker to install. Any other options for me?
Recall there are half-height 120v breakers (2x will fit in the space of 1x full-height 120v breaker). Meaning you can replace 4x full-height 120v breakers with 4x half-height breaker to free up 1x 240v breaker position.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

dratkinson wrote:
Recall there are half-height 120v breakers (2x will fit in the space of 1x full-height 120v breaker). Meaning you can replace 4x full-height 120v breakers with 4x half-height breaker to free up 1x 240v breaker position.
Be sure that if you are in a home with a shared neutral across multiple circuits, you put the half-height 120v breakers on the same leg so you don't cross over two 120v legs with your neutral wire.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

dratkinson wrote:+1 for the Luke Duke linked excellent Steve Jenkins article. Wish I'd read it sooner.

Didn't know about the Eaton unit when I installed my GE THQLSURGE unit (it's missing the Jenkins-recommended ground leg protection: L-G, N-G). But it seems to have worked okay as my next door neighbor (we're on the same utility transformer) is currently replacing some lost devices after a recent thunderstorm. Identified as bad so far: wireless phone base unit, sprinkler system controller, and all sprinkler system in-ground wiring to zone solenoid valves. I experienced no problems.

GE THQLSURGE whole-house surge protector, cheap and quick to install, but $better units are available.
See: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Whole-Hom ... /100143165

After reading the Jenkins article advocating defense in depth, thinking I might add the Eaton unit and mount it outside (it has an exterior enclosure) under my exterior whole-house generator transfer switch, so ahead of my GE unit.
So if there is a power surge, does this unit need to be replaced? or does it have a reset switch? Thanks.
Last edited by F150HD on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Luke Duke wrote:I installed this whole house surge protector in about 15 minutes. It took me longer to gather my tools than it did to install.
http://www.amazon.com/Eaton-CHSPT2ULTRA ... 01AQAKRSS/

I chose it based on this review and the good Amazon reviews
https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2014/ ... rotection/

same question as above...if there's a power surge, does this need to be replaced?
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I don't know about those specific units, but the Eaton on my house is sacrificial. If both green lights aren't on (likely due to a surge), the unit must be replaced.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Believe most that homeowners care about are self-sacrificial.

When I researched this topic many years ago, recall most are based on semiconductor technology. Below a certain voltage (~300v?) they are an insulator. Above that voltage, they become a partial conductor to dissipate the *excess* voltage before it can harm downstream components. They can survive multiple small surges that are below their maximum design limit. (My neighbor lost a few small appliances, I lost none and my surge protector's indicator light still says "Good".) But they will die if the surge is large enough.

Commercial surge protectors provide a remote monitoring capability to let folks know when they fail. The homeowner variety does not have this extra-expense feature so must be monitored for status. (I leave the electrical panel door open so I can see the surge protector's indicator light when I walk through the garage.)

See surge protector: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surge_protector
2comma

Post by 2comma »

dratkinson wrote:Believe most that homeowners care about are self-sacrificial.

When I researched this topic many years ago, recall most are based on semiconductor technology. Below a certain voltage (~300v?) they are an insulator. Above that voltage, they become a partial conductor to dissipate the *excess* voltage before it can harm downstream components. They can survive multiple small surges that are below their maximum design limit. (My neighbor lost a few small appliances, I lost none and my surge protector's indicator light still says "Good".) But they will die if the surge is large enough.

Commercial surge protectors provide a remote monitoring capability to let folks know when they fail. The homeowner variety does not have this extra-expense feature so must be monitored for status. (I leave the electrical panel door open so I can see the surge protector's indicator light when I walk through the garage.)

See surge protector: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surge_protector
I've just been researching and yes at a certain level they can handle a surge. If the surge exceeds their capacity they become sacrificial. They have no reset feature.
If I am stupid I will pay.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

dratkinson wrote:
Yes they all use a breaker AFAIK or some actually install into their own breaker slot so they replace the need for a separate breaker - then you only need to run the wire that goes to the neutral bar. Seems like an easier install to me but you'll still need space either way in your panel. Those half-height (sometimes called slimline I believe) will give you a 2 for one space savings. You would think breakers would be standardized but their not so make sure to lookup the type of breaker that is approved for your electrical panel. There are even a few combos where the breaker will seem to fit and work but it's not approved and can be dangerous.

The only other thing is it looks like, from my research so far, they really recommend a 3 phased approach to protection. A type 1 SPD before the panel to protect you from the outside, a type 2 in the panel (whole house) and then a type 3 at the device. I'm not convinced that a type 2 provides total protection but I hope it helps a lot. I'm only talking about surges and not a direct strike. Anyone have any ideas on this?
2comma

Post by 2comma »

BrandonBogle wrote:
dratkinson wrote:
Be sure that if you are in a home with a shared neutral across multiple circuits, you put the half-height 120v breakers on the same leg so you don't cross over two 120v legs with your neutral wire.
Brandon,

Can you expand on this? I'm not the quickest wit so I need a simple/slow explanation. I've got several of the half-heights next to each other in my panel so I think I'm violating this rule. Actually, on my panel all of the neutrals and grounds go to the same bar.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

mortfree wrote:You could also look into a whole house surge protector - I believe that exists..
Florida claims to be the nation's lightning capital. local utility offers install and monthly fees that are ridiculous.
for my home needed to find the right unit that fit the breaker box. Home depot did not carry my unit but found it on eBay.
protector cost about $45 and electrician cost kept the whole process under $100. know it works because surges that used to take out the digital clocks and computer and cable now only set off a 40 year old Panasonic clock radio
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

2comma wrote: Brandon,

Can you expand on this? I'm not the quickest wit so I need a simple/slow explanation. I've got several of the half-heights next to each other in my panel so I think I'm violating this rule. Actually, on my panel all of the neutrals and grounds go to the same bar.
If you have a shared neutral on different legs, then current can run from the alternate phase through the neutral to provide power even when one of the breakers is off.

For instance, say circuit A is on leg 1 (120 v) and circuit B is on leg 2 (120 v). If they happen to share a common neutral, then if one circuit is on at the breaker and the other off at the breaker, the 120v "on" breaker will feed through the neutral wire into the "off" circuit. So even if you turned off the power at the breaker on one circuit, you can still get zapped when working on the wiring for that "off" circuit.

There are nuances to it, but that is basically it. If the two shared circuits are on the same leg, they should still be turned off at the same time, but you won't have quite the same problem.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions ... -a-neutral

Page 2 of this PDF: http://static.schneider-electric.us/doc ... 03R902.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Q0M32puGY

FYI, sharing one neutral "bar" and ground "bar" at the panel is fine. The problem is when it is shared elsewhere.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

Thanks Brandon!
just frank

Post by just frank »

I will attest that I had a whole house SS on both 'hot' legs of my house, and when I had a grid surge (which led to visible arcing in my wall outlets) when a transformer exploded, one leg's LED went out afterwards, and there were char marks on the inside of the box door. :shock:

I replaced the SS a week later. I'm a fan, cheap insurance. :mrgreen:

FYI: outlets are **designed** to arc at 600V as a low-tech surge suppressor technology years ago. They were not damaged.