New cars w/ no CD player -- what can I do with my CDs?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

New cars w/ no CD player -- what can I do with my CDs?

Post by CULater » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:30 am

Many new vehicles are not coming with a CD player anymore, at least the ones I've been shopping. I've got bunches of CDs I'd still like to play in the car. Is there anything I can do that's relatively painless to convert my CDs to something else that I can play in a car without a CD player?
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

bluebolt

Re: New cars w/ no CD player -- what can I do with my CDs?

Post by bluebolt » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:32 am

I rip all of my CDs to my computer and then sync them to my phone via iTunes. I had an older car, so bought a $15 bluetooth adapter that I plugged into the aux input. Then, I played whatever music I wanted through my stereo over bluetooth.

Note: While ripping a large CD collection can take a lot of time, just start with the music you like best/listen to most and rip additional ones over time.

Or, you could subscribe to Spotify or Apple Music.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 am

What kind of cell phone do you have? Is it a smartphone? If so, and if you really want to listen to your CDs, you will need to rip them into MP3 format and load them onto your phone. Hopefully, you have a phone with an additional memory card that can hold lots of data. Then connect your phone to the car with either bluetooth or an aux cable.

If you don't have a smartphone or it doesn't have a lot of memory, you can buy a bluetooth-enabled MP3 player. Rip your CDs to MP3 files and load them onto the MP3 player. If you have an old MP3 player that doesn't have bluetooth, you can connect with an aux cable. Either way, you need to remember to turn the MP3 player off when you get out of your car or it will continue to play. I had this problem when I used an MP3 player for audio books. I would forget to stop the player and it would keep playing my book.

I just bought a new car, and I believe all of the cars I looked at still had CD players. Certainly, the one I bought has one. What cars are you looking at?
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Tracyfaa

Post by Tracyfaa » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:25 am

An old, no longer usable phone makes a great portable music storage device for a vehicle with no CD player. Even if the Bluetooth won't work, most head units have an aux input you could use. Ripped at 128 kbps, your music in the car will be virtually indistinguishable from the CDs themselves unless you go for a high end audio package. In that case 256 kbps will do the trick. I've been doing it this way for years. I use iTunes plus, AAC 256 kbps encoding, but my head unit has a hard drive that will automatically store up to 3000 tracks at 128 kbps, which rips directly from the car's CD player. There's virtually do difference in quality between all of the different sources while driving on the highway and mixing with all the road and wind noise.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:29 am

The same problems existed in the past when 8 track tape players were phased out for cassette tapes, and then when cassette tapes were phased out for CD players.

You can convert your media to the current technology.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:30 am

If your car has a USB port, you can use software like MusicBee to copy your CDs to MP3 files, move them to a USB / flash drive and the car will be able to play them direct from the USB. You can also use iTunes and an iPod Touch, Nano or iPhone to play them either through the USB port, Bluetooth or Aux (headphone jack).

I use my son's old iPod Touch 4th generation and iTunes to manage music, partly because I started with iTunes in 2007 so am in the Apple ecosystem as they say.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:32 am

Convert everything to digital files and either sell or donate your CDs. I got rid of many boxes of music a while back and it feels great.

Back everything up in case your computer dies.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:40 am

bluebolt wrote:I rip all of my CDs to my computer and then sync them to my phone via iTunes.
+1 I have over a 1000 songs and according to iTunes, 3.5 days worth of continual listening without a repeat on my iPhone. All my CD's (10,000+ songs and 30 days of continual listening) have been removed from their jewel cases, slipped in a thin plastic sleeve and stored in several boxes on a basement shelf for future descendants to ponder over after I'm gone.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:44 am

climber2020 wrote:Convert everything to digital files and either sell or donate your CDs. I got rid of many boxes of music a while back and it feels great.
This is copyright violation. Fair use allows you to legally rip your music, which you can continue to listen to as long as you still own the original. When you sell the original and continue to use the copies you've made, it becomes theft.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:47 am

I started to rip stuff to my phone and then decided to skip that and use Spotify. In the end, I have discovered different music choices and rarely play the ones I have on CD. The premium service lets me store music on the phone so I don't have to use data.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 am

deleted

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:29 am

CULater wrote:Many new vehicles are not coming with a CD player anymore, at least the ones I've been shopping. I've got bunches of CDs I'd still like to play in the car. Is there anything I can do that's relatively painless to convert my CDs to something else that I can play in a car without a CD player?
I have an older car that still has a CD player, but I got tired of switching out CDs. What I did was install a third-party stereo system that can play music from a SD card. I then ripped all the music from my CDs onto my computer and then transferred the music to a SD card. On longer trips it's nice to be able to listen to hundreds of songs without interruptions. :happy

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:39 am

Just copy them to some thumbdrives. I found dbpoweramp to be the most reliable and easiest software for this.
It's really easy, just try it and you'll see.

Keep the copies on your computer and an external hard drive so you can make a "mixtape" of what you want on each thumbdrive and edit them at will. It's easy and what everyone does now for cars.

Depending on the car, you may need to create them as MP3 files (as opposed to higher resolution), but it's fine for a car.
Some more sophisticated car systems can handle higher resolution files, but I have not used them so maybe others here can chime in.

Jriver is an alternative to dbpoweramp, but I find it more quirky and it sometimes hangs on me. Dbpoweramp seems more robust.
Last edited by rgs92 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:40 am

I would add that if/when you rip your CDs to your PC, rip them to a lossless format like flac rather than to mp3. You won't need lossless for your car, but you may for other uses. Once you have them ripped to flac, it is a quick and easy process to copy them into a mp3 format using Media Monkey.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:14 am

Doom&Gloom wrote:I would add that if/when you rip your CDs to your PC, rip them to a lossless format like flac rather than to mp3. You won't need lossless for your car, but you may for other uses. Once you have them ripped to flac, it is a quick and easy process to copy them into a mp3 format using Media Monkey.
I use FreeRip. It can do both parts, so I rip to lossless first and store on the computer where there's lots of room, then I can use the same program to convert to MP3. Those I sync with the iPod. I have an old nano sixth gen, which is pretty tiny easy to carry in a pocket. You do have to watch out for pocket lint getting in the audio jack.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 am

If you get a vehicle with an entertainment system for the back seat folks (like I have on my Acadia) you still have the ability to use a music CD.

However, that's quite an expensive solution if all you wish to do is listen is your own CD's.

- Ron

Gufomel

Post by Gufomel » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:12 am

You could create a CD ladder :D womp womp...

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:17 am

I rip my CDs, upload to Google Play Music, then stream via Bluetooth to my car audio without any cable. I also have 10Gb worth of data monthly on my smartphone which is plugged to a USB charger.

However, with this kind of setup, my Waze or Google Map will take over whenever there is directional change or police trap warning. The music volume would be lowered.

I was one of the few lucky ones with a 6-CD/MP3 in dash changer also.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:36 am

My problem is a little of the reverse: my 13 year old car's system takes CD's and cassettes but has no auxiliary input.

Meanwhile, I have ripped my approximately 1000 CD's to ITunes, and carry the lot around on my Ipod Classic. So, how to play the Ipod through the radio?? Fortunately in my big box of useless old electronics was a gadget that slides into the cassette slot and connects to the output of the Ipod.

I love the Ipod classic. When it dies, I have two more spares, still in original packaging, to see me through to the grave!

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:11 pm

"New cars w/ no CD player -- what can I do with my CDs?"

Some older forum members recommend building a CD ladder. I don't get it but maybe it would work for you.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:03 pm

obgraham wrote:My problem is a little of the reverse: my 13 year old car's system takes CD's and cassettes but has no auxiliary input.
There are adaptors that allow you to play modern devices through cassette players. It looks like a cassette with a cable attached. I use one in the Bronco.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:21 pm

My prior vehicle, a 2006 Toyota 4Runner, had a stock sound system that played CD players and also MP3 CDs. To aid in keeping only a few CDs handy, over time I ripped all my CDs to MP3 and burned MP3 CDs to use in my truck. When I switched vehicles, my current vehicle doesn't have a CD player, but does have a USB port. I copied my MP3s over to the a USB stick and haven't looked back.

downshiftme

Post by downshiftme » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:10 pm

I had the reverse problem with a car so old it had no CD player. The solution was to buy an aftermaket car CD player and have it installed. I would expect this would work just as well for a car so new that there is no factory CD player.

keaton

Post by keaton » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:19 pm

I'm glad that manufactures have finally stopped it with the CD players! It's about time! Now if all laptops would do the same.

Personally I have never owned a CD or DVD in my adult life, as there is just no point for 15-20 tracks and a major PITA. In college we used to swap MP3s all the time and spent hours organizing my iTunes.

Now! Spotify and Pandora is worth every penny. No need to organize a bunch of music and everything is Bluetooth these days. For older vehicles, I use the Aux in with a Bluetooth adapter, plus when I am running Waze, it cuts in when directing where to turn, or for the 5-O...

keaton

Post by keaton » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:21 pm

downshiftme wrote:I had the reverse problem with a car so old it had no CD player. The solution was to buy an aftermaket car CD player and have it installed. I would expect this would work just as well for a car so new that there is no factory CD player.
Most newer vehicles have such an integrated head unit that it's probably not possible. Yet, why bother when you can Bluetooth all your audio.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:45 pm

rgs92 wrote:Just copy them to some thumbdrives. I found dbpoweramp to be the most reliable and easiest software for this.
It's really easy, just try it and you'll see.
It's been at least 5 years since I've added to my CD collection, so I haven't ripped anything in a while and maybe it's changed a lot in the meantime, but dbpoweramp didn't seem like the easiest to use software. I wouldn't say it was difficult to use, but Windows media player was easier.

Dbpoweramp does have more options for things like quality settings and embedded metadata that is usually used by players to help you sort files, browse your collection, and create playlists.

I do highly recommend dbpoweramp based on my past experience unless you want to put as little effort as possible into ripping your CD's.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:20 pm

keaton wrote:I'm glad that manufactures have finally stopped it with the CD players! It's about time! Now if all laptops would do the same.

Personally I have never owned a CD or DVD in my adult life, as there is just no point for 15-20 tracks and a major PITA. In college we used to swap MP3s all the time and spent hours organizing my iTunes.

Now! Spotify and Pandora is worth every penny. No need to organize a bunch of music and everything is Bluetooth these days. For older vehicles, I use the Aux in with a Bluetooth adapter, plus when I am running Waze, it cuts in when directing where to turn, or for the 5-O...
Ah, to be young...in college my roommate and I would play Motley Crue records so loud in our room at the frat house that the bass would feedback into the turntable and make a rumbling noise.

It has been awhile since I have purchased music on a CD however, so I have modernized.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:38 pm

We occasionally buy CDs. Even before listening to them, I rip them to flac using ExactAudioCopy. Then I am done with the CDs, but DW or DS take them and play them occasionally. I guess :|

I used to convert the flac files to mp3 to use in mp3 players mainly for use in the car. Now I don't bother. I just copy the flac files to a large USB thumb drive which stays connected in my car. I alternate between listening to that and Spotify streaming from my phone.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Kluge 1. To save all of the ripping, burning,..., how about a CD player with built-in FM transmitter? Then play your CDs through your FM radio.
See: http://www.google.com/search?q=CD+playe ... ransmitter

Kluge 2. Or use an FM transmitter module that plugs into the output jack of your existing portable CD (cassette, 8-track,...) player.

Or buy the vehicle and put in the after-market radio unit you want.

Or go by a business like Car Toys (installers of car entertainment products) and see what they recommend.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:16 pm

keaton wrote:I'm glad that manufactures have finally stopped it with the CD players! It's about time! Now if all laptops would do the same.

Can't stop laughing! I've no idea what you are describing here!
So as an old geezer, I'll just keep on with my ripped CD's and my iPod Classic. Even the guy at the Apple store thought that was a Luddite approach!

Because I have some strange musical interests, I still buy CD's -- my stuff is not issued to the downloader set.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:30 pm

obgraham wrote:My problem is a little of the reverse: my 13 year old car's system takes CD's and cassettes but has no auxiliary input.
See if the aftermarket makes an interface for your factrory stereo or replace the head unit entirely with an aftermarket one that has the desired inputs & connectivity. For the former, check with the usual suspects such as USA Spec, Grom, PAC Audio, iSimple, etc -- there are many others out there as well.
keaton wrote:Spotify and Pandora is worth every penny. No need to organize a bunch of music and everything is Bluetooth these days.
Subjective, just as worth is on any topic. I find Pandora useful but it's a complement to my own music collection and is not sufficient as a replacement.
keaton wrote:Yet, why bother when you can Bluetooth all your audio.
Not all Bluetooth is equal. Some devices only support low quality codecs. There are certainly other possible reasons why one might not choose to use Bluetooth. Never assume that the best solution for you is the best solution for everyone on any topic.

Bimmer

Post by Bimmer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Use them as coasters!
____________________________ | Bimmer | ____________________________

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:14 am

What did you do with your old typewriter? How about your road map collection?

Download the music you want, get rid of the CDs that take up all that room in your car, and make a lamp out of the jewel boxes. Bimmer's coaster idea for the CDs is also a good one.

Play your music via Bluetooth through your car stereo. Without CDs, you now have loads more storage room in your car.

Like a younger purple-haired punk rocker girlfriend taught me when I was in my 30s, you have to stay contemporary or you will start growing moss.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:30 am

Doom&Gloom wrote:We occasionally buy CDs. Even before listening to them, I rip them to flac using ExactAudioCopy. Then I am done with the CDs, but DW or DS take them and play them occasionally. I guess :|

I used to convert the flac files to mp3 to use in mp3 players mainly for use in the car. Now I don't bother. I just copy the flac files to a large USB thumb drive which stays connected in my car. I alternate between listening to that and Spotify streaming from my phone.
Like some here I still buy stuff on CDs - sometimes it's sheer cussedness and desire to have a physical copy, other times there is no choice because it's the only format available.

I rip to flac first to use on my home network which has a collection of devices that can read the files from a PC server and play them back throughout the house.

I still convert to MP3 because of the size of my music collection plus I have Audiobooks as well. I'm a dbPoweramp fan because of the various verification and labelling tools.

Finally I use a small program named "fatsort" which sorts the file access table for devices that don't have the ability to sort the file listings themselves.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:48 am

What did you do with your old typewriter?
Uhh, use it for typing!
How about your road map collection?
Indeed, use them to get places!

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:54 am

Simple. You buy a 300 CD disk changer and install it in the truck of your car. Then wire it up to the AUX port. Now you are ready to rock.

On a more serious note, rip your CDs and then listen via the MP3 divice of your choice. Some people have suggested Spotify. My library allows me to download audiobooks onto my phone so that is what I do.

supersharpie

Post by supersharpie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:16 pm

CULater wrote:Many new vehicles are not coming with a CD player anymore, at least the ones I've been shopping. I've got bunches of CDs I'd still like to play in the car. Is there anything I can do that's relatively painless to convert my CDs to something else that I can play in a car without a CD player?
Just get with the times and pay $9.99/month for Spotify. All of your CDs, and hundreds of thousands of others, will be at your fingertips.

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Buy a Subaru Forester. At least for now, they still come with a CD player.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:28 pm

supersharpie wrote:
Just get with the times and pay $9.99/month for Spotify. All of your CDs, and hundreds of thousands of others, will be at your fingertips.
Not necessarily. I have a subscription to Spotify, but Spotify does not have many (maybe even most) of my CDs (largely lesser-known Americana singer/songwriters). But Spotify + ripped CDs is a very strong combination.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:11 pm

protagonist wrote:Like a younger purple-haired punk rocker girlfriend taught me when I was in my 30s, you have to stay contemporary or you will start growing moss.
Moss hair is more authoritative than purple hair.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:28 pm

My husband has a 15,000 CD collection (not a typo). All of them are Vietnamese music, not on CD-DB, meaning album titles and track names would have to be entered manually if ripped. The time to rip them all would be prohibitive. And even if compressed lossily, they would still take over a terabyte. He listens to a different one randomly every day, picked up from the shelves, so ripping a smaller fraction of his collection would not help, since whatever disc he wants to play is unpredictable.

The new Chevrolet Bolt EV I bought for him in January did not come with a CD player, to our surprise - and dismay. It can handle a maximum of 5000 files on the SD card, or about 200 albums. So, even ripping would not help. No smartphone has 1 TB+ of storage device yet, even if the collection was ripped.

Fortunately, the car came with a 3.5mm stereo jack input. A week after taking delivery of the car, we had a slim CD player unit installed and hooked up to that line input.

This is the unit we got. We used a local professional installer to run power wires internally and mount it. Audio wire is running around the carpet, though, as the installer told us if running internally, it would have also disabled the 2 USB ports (single connector for all).

https://www.amazon.com/Myron-Davis-AD31 ... ords=AD318

Ron

Post by Ron » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:57 pm

protagonist wrote:What did you do with your old typewriter? <snip...>
I had to sell it when I ran out of carbon paper :wink: ...

- Ron

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Ron wrote:
protagonist wrote:What did you do with your old typewriter? <snip...>
I had to sell it when I ran out of carbon paper :wink: ...

- Ron
LOL

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:19 pm

obgraham wrote:Because I have some strange musical interests, I still buy CD's -- my stuff is not issued to the downloader set.
+1. Buying CDs is one of my greatest joys. I bought half a dozen today, though I do like Amazon's Autorip feature.

My ancient car has a similar problem: Tape deck with no CD player. I have been advised to go to Best Buy, buy a car CD player for under $100 and see if I can get some sort of installation deal.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:02 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:Like a younger purple-haired punk rocker girlfriend taught me when I was in my 30s, you have to stay contemporary or you will start growing moss.
Moss hair is more authoritative than purple hair.

Victoria
I will pass that on to all of my male friends who express interest in authoritarian partners. By "moss hair", I assume you mean green. I visualize T. Rex as green, though I could be wrong, and I agree that he was probably more authoritarian than Barney.

Back to what the OP should do with his CDs now.

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:50 am

They still make CDs? I think I bought my last one in 2006.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:31 am

Dendritic Tree wrote:They still make CDs? I think I bought my last one in 2006.
I check them out from the library all the time. Great way to sample music before buying.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:36 am

The OP hasn't been back to tell us what cars he is looking at. It was mentioned before, but bears repeating that a lot of new cars have a USB port, and can play music from a USB thumb drive. You can put a lot of MP3 songs on a thumbdrive for very little money. It still requires converting songs from CDs into MP3, FLAC or other format that the car can use, which is time-consuming, but would only need to be done once.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson