Is the new Chevy Equinox any good?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

Is the new Chevy Equinox any good?

Post by CULater » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:34 pm

I like the specs on the new 2018 Chevy Equinox, as they have redesigned the vehicle and it looks significantly improved. But it's still a Chevy. Normally, I shop only the Asian brands and am skeptical of anything that is built by GM, Ford, or Chrysler. Thought I'd tap into Boglehead wisdom and try to determine if I should consider this thing or just not bother. Any opinions from former or prospective owners of the Equinox? I'm cross-shopping mainly Honda CRV and Mazda CX-5.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

PFInterest

Re: Is the new Chevy Equinox any good?

Post by PFInterest » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:26 pm

vs CRV, RAV4, or CX5? likely no. i havent seen chevy do anything recently to match those brands.
but we are just a bunch of anonymous frugally people.

can you find a consumer reports at the library (although i think even their reviews you must take with a grain of salt these days).

moghopper

Post by moghopper » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:30 pm

CULater wrote:I like the specs on the new 2018 Chevy Equinox, as they have redesigned the vehicle and it looks significantly improved. But it's still a Chevy. Normally, I shop only the Asian brands and am skeptical of anything that is built by GM, Ford, or Chrysler. Thought I'd tap into Boglehead wisdom and try to determine if I should consider this thing or just not bother. Any opinions from former or prospective owners of the Equinox? I'm cross-shopping mainly Honda CRV and Mazda CX-5.

I bought the 2010 Equinox, which I believe was the last time they did a major redesign.

I've had it close to 8 years now, and I've put about 80K miles on it. Despite this, I won't be buying another one - mainly due to engine issues.

But hey, maybe they've got it figured out now.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:32 pm

I'm strongly disinclined to buy a car in the first model year of a new generation--both the Honda CR-V and the Chevy Equinox fall into this category. I've purchased two different cars after a new model had come out (Honda and Buick) and in both cases there were notable "teething" problems that were resolved in later model years. There can certainly be an allure to having the newest, coolest model :wink: but I've learned that getting a car in the middle or toward the end of current generation provides for better reliability; Consumer Reports typically supports this notion as well.

My wife was in the market for a small SUV of class you're looking at in 2015 and ultimately settled on the Nissan Rogue. I tried to steer her toward the Toyota Rav4 or the Subaru Forester but she was dead set on the Nissan. The Rogue is a perfectly fine car, I'm just a little suspect of Nissan's reliability (no issues yet, knock wood).

When I was in the market a last year, I went with a Subaru Outback because I love the SUV-like practicality of its size while it still rides more like a car. I also appreciate Subaru's commitment to safety and their EyeSight system.

Given that you're looking in the small SUV category, I'd take a look at the Forester in addition to the other models you're considering.
Last edited by KT785 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:07 pm

107,000 miles on a 2003 Saturn Vue and it's been a pretty good vehicle ... With "pretty good" being the operative words. The engine has been solid, but the electrical systems are developing eccentricities. I don't think older GM vehicles are strong as regards durability but GM cars in the 90s were Aw. Ful.

So the General has made improvements. (My sister-Ina-law loves her Volt).

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 pm

The only acceptable cars on this forum is toyota and Honda. Mazda is ok if you want to be unique.

Nearing_Destination

Post by Nearing_Destination » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:49 pm

KT

When we examined the Forrester, we found that the seats were very uncomfortable, especially the passenger side (which also wasn't as adjustable as other makers versions) and went with the Rogue also. So far no problems - but as we are in retirement we don't put the miles on like before.

They wanted too much, relative to others, for the CRV and even for the Outback. After all, in retirement if it's bad enough we just don't go out-- not like the w@rking days

(Emoore -- you'll just have to get over some of us having Fords and other brands)

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:26 am

Don't know about the new one, but the 2016 I had as a rental two years ago was one of the worst cars we've ever gotten. Based on that, it'd take a lot for me personally to take a look at the redesign.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:14 am

emoore wrote:The only acceptable cars on this forum is toyota and Honda. Mazda is ok if you want to be unique.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. Subaru is also considered acceptable.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:49 am

2013 Equinox owner here...

We've never had any major mechanical issues, specifically none with the engine (knock on wood). We've run into issues with the USB connection to the radio insofar as trying to connect our iPhones for Pandora or even just using iTunesj, but usually restarting the car solves that. If the check engine light is on, the keyless start doesn't work so don't get confused about that. That may be similar across other brands with that feature. We have the four cylinder. It gets great gas mileage. No problems with the heating or air. The engine isn't all that powerful so you have to "get on it" to get around traffic sometimes. I prefer something with a little more pick-me-up.

I'm not against buying a newer model of one, but since we've got small kids that are only getting bigger, we're going to go up a model to the 2018 Traverse (might wait for 2019) or Toyota Highlander.

I would say the only concern with buying the Equinox over the Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or Subaru competitors would be resale value. If you intend to remain loyal to a Chevy dealer, go Equinox. If you're looking to retain value in the event you change your mind, go with one of the others but test drive them first.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:27 am

Engine issues with my 2012 Equinox, which I have discussed recently AND most importantly GM's refusal to do anything about it, after sending me a letter stating there was an issue. I will not go into detail, as it has been discussed, but they did have issues with pistons/rings, etc which caused oil consumption and knocking prematurly.

That being said, i did purchase a 2015 model and it has been ok, but mileage is only at 55,000. My wife purchased a 2015 Outback and the transmission went out, but was covered completely.

I will not recommend Equinox based on their handling my issue. Overall the cars have been OK to slightly above OK with very little maintenance other than the oil consumption. The 2012 has 155,000 miles and I have put less than $1000 other than oil changes....but their handling of my matter steers me away from the company in the future.

Ed

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:47 am

CULater wrote:I like the specs on the new 2018 Chevy Equinox, as they have redesigned the vehicle and it looks significantly improved. But it's still a Chevy. Normally, I shop only the Asian brands and am skeptical of anything that is built by GM, Ford, or Chrysler. Thought I'd tap into Boglehead wisdom and try to determine if I should consider this thing or just not bother. Any opinions from former or prospective owners of the Equinox? I'm cross-shopping mainly Honda CRV and Mazda CX-5.
I'm in the same boat as you.
I am considering the CR-V or CX-5, but decided to check out the new Equinox, given its dramatic redesign.

While I did not drive it, based on my cursory evaluation, I was NOT impressed with the Equinox and definitely would not choose it over the Honda or Mazda. The interior felt cheap and it was much more expensive vs. the other two.

http://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/equinox

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:11 pm

If you like the specs, then what is the comparison to the specs of the other choices and what do you give up by not choosing the Equinox?

victorb

Post by victorb » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Friend of mine had a 2014 Equinox as a company car and he was disappointed with the power and the automatic shifting all the time. He bought a Subaru Outback for his personal car. Sister has a Nissan Rogue, in fact 2 or 3 over the years and have been happy. Don't overlook Hyundai Tuscon or Santa fe Sport, they are both good cars and best warranty in the industry. We owned a RAV4 and were going to get a new one and Toyota held off on the redesign, so went with Santa fe. We have a Santa fe and Santa fe Sport and very satisfied with both.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:39 pm

$0.02. I am very happy with my CX-5. I believe it's the only one in this class without a CVT which I kind of enjoy although I'm sure I'd get used to it quickly. We're also happy with my wife's Forester although it feels bigger than it is, while the CX-5 drives more like a sedan. I thought the RAV4 and Rogue interiors felt cheap.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:01 pm

If you get an American car you should get an extended warranty. Make sure you shop around. You do not have to get it as the dealer you bought the car from. No 3rd party warranty's.
FIRE July 2015 The US government spends nearly the ENTIRETY of its tax revenue on Social Security, Medicare, and Interest on the Debt.

atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:33 pm

If you're really curious, make a reservation with a car rental location that has one and drive it for a week. It will be well worth the few hundred dollars to see if you like before buying. I did this with my current car which is a Chevy Cruze. Chevy is also releasing a version this summer with a Diesel engine that will get 40mpg on the highway, which is far and away the best fuel economy for any small SUV.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:41 am

Pick up the August 2017 issue of Motor Trend. For the uninitiated, Motor Trend does not assess reliability, just how the vehicle rides and performs. In this issue, they review the new Equinox. They also do a cross comparison of the redesigned Honda CR-V Touring AWD vs. Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring.

Article on the Equinox was luke warm. Positives: Nice weight reduction from previous version; lost 400 lbs., primarily by going to a lighter 4 cylinder turbo engine (1.5 liter, 170 hp - Honda CR-V has 190 hp). They liked the Hankook tires on the top-of-the line version they tested, resulting in 0.83 on the skid pad. Brakes were on par with the Honda, which was better than the other top sellers. Biggest negative is said to be the 6 speed automatic transmission; note the sister GMC Terrain uses a 9 speed automatic; transmission wants to move to the highest gear for mpg, to a fault. The steering wheel is said to better communicate engine vibration than road feel. Chevrolet is going to offer other drive trains in the future, including a diesel.

Last year, Motor Trend did a comparison of the best 5 crossover SUVs and the Honda & Mazda won, even though they were at the end of their design life and were being replaced this year with new designs. So the comparison was to look at the new designs. The Honda won by almost every measure, but they had some nice thngs to say about the Mazda too.

Interestingly, article says the Honda CR-V is the best selling of any SUV, crossover or otherwise. I didn't know that!

Aside from the future diesel engine, I did not see anything unique or unusual in the Equinox specifications. If you are going to buy a new SUV, why not go with the category leader, the Honda CR*V? Aside from the much better qualitative and quantitative characteristics mentioned in the reviews, previous Honda models have proven to have outstanding reliability, Chevrolets, not so much.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:41 pm

CULater wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:34 pm
I like the specs on the new 2018 Chevy Equinox, as they have redesigned the vehicle and it looks significantly improved. But it's still a Chevy. Normally, I shop only the Asian brands and am skeptical of anything that is built by GM, Ford, or Chrysler. Thought I'd tap into Boglehead wisdom and try to determine if I should consider this thing or just not bother. Any opinions from former or prospective owners of the Equinox? I'm cross-shopping mainly Honda CRV and Mazda CX-5.
Bit of a bump, but I test drove the 2018 Chevy Equinox LT AWD with the 1.4L engine. By comparison, I have been driving a '15 CR-V and '11 Mazda6.

It did not drive very well compared to what I'm used to. I don't know what the folks at GM are thinking, or why they'd release a car like this. The transmission just seems to have bad timing, is loud, shifts around too much. I don't know. The engine is beyond weak. These cars are rebated to the hilt in my locality and I can get a sign/drive $250 lease $0 down on that LT. On the other hand, this car has it all on paper - heated seats, power lift gate, remote start, keyless entry, car play, and some advanced safety features. Even better deals on the outgoing 2017 Traverse if I were to get a 3 row beast, but it feels like it's 10 years outdated.

So, I went to the Honda dealership. They have only around 4-5 CR-Vs in stock at most times, they turn over quickly, and the car is $3000 OTD more for similar equipment with very little wiggle room. No lease specials at all. No rebates or incentives. No special financing. It rides like a dream and everything seems to work much better.

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:18 pm

emoore wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 pm
The only acceptable cars on this forum is toyota and Honda. Mazda is ok if you want to be unique.
Umm no. If I buy a car, it will not be a toyota (with the way they're building their vehicles now). I could do a lot better than boring, ugly, flimsy, and slow vehicles built by toyota. I understand there's a group of people who do not care about driving experience as long as it's cheap and gets you from point A to point B. I respect that but it's not me.

OP- I drove 2015 Chevy Equinox as a rental on a trip to Florida. It did the work but uninspiring. Seems like CR-V is the top choice in this segment. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/ran ... mpact-suvs. I would go with Mazda CX-5.

jbjeannine

Post by jbjeannine » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:12 pm

I own a 2015 Equinox with 22,000 miles on it (bought new). We looked at others in the class at the time - Buick, GMC, Toyota RAV4 - and also test drove them. My husband was in charge of the purchase as he never found my previous sedan very comfortable. He found the Equinox the most comfortable and over 2 years later we still really like it. We have had no issues whatsoever with it. It's only been in for routine oil changes at this point. Would I purchase another one in the future? Definitely. My husband would concur. I have two neighbors who also bought the 2015 ( fortunately we all have different colors!) and they feel the same. This doesn't answer your question on the latest model, but it does give a perspective. Good luck in your decision.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:29 pm

atomicrc11 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:33 pm
If you're really curious, make a reservation with a car rental location that has one and drive it for a week. It will be well worth the few hundred dollars to see if you like before buying.
This is great advice.

smitty1515

Post by smitty1515 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:34 pm

2011 Equinox owner here. Have 100k miles. Overall, very little issues other than routine items to be expected. My folks have a CRV and the interior and comfort of the Equinox is better. The CRV is better for driving and likely more reliable.

I almost purchased a 2017 Equinox a few months ago because they were heavily discounted due to the 18's. Like other posters mention, it is probably not a good idea to buy the first year of a new build.
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. -Warren Buffett

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:47 pm

Really shows how there are very few "bad" cars and much of the choice is personal fit. I found the CRV uncomfortable - just not sized right for me. Really wanted to want a Suburu Outback. Went back to test drive a couple years apart, including this summer. Thought it was great until you tried to go over 65 mph. Not a high speed interstate car.

I always liked getting an Equinox as a rental. My uncle is happy with his 2018 Equinox.

DrHotLunch

Post by DrHotLunch » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:06 am

We looked at equinox and Traverse, liked them, but ended up getting a Kia Sorrento. It's awesome, if you're looking a little bigger (3rd row), but relatively cheaper and still solid. I really liked the Honda CRV, great price, but my wife wanted something a little bigger. Everyone I know who has a CRV loves it. We had a RAV4 from 2005-2015 and it was great, too. You can't go wrong with any - drive them all and find your best deal!

Cieren

Post by Cieren » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:42 pm

I'll be honest, we never looked at the Equinox, due to reviews.

We recently bought a 2017 Mazda CX-5; we wouldn't normally buy new and it's not a great time for us to be getting into a car loan (ugh), but we pulled the trigger on the Mazda for numerous reasons (both financial and emotional).

We test drove the CR-V and the CX-5, as it came down to those two for us. Ultimately, the CR-V "felt" a bit peppier (probably because it has a turbo, but...those can die - and it's an expensive replacement) but the road noise killed it for us. We wanted/needed a vehicle with a quieter interior for longer car trips as the majority of our family lives 2+ hours away, and the Mazda is considerably quieter than the CR-V.

Points in Honda's favor: slightly better fuel consumption, better tech features, better overall options based on trim level.
Mazda: interior feels so much richer, quieter ride, feels more "car like" when you're driving it - for me - due to hood design. (If the CR-V had been as quiet, we'd have bought that instead.)

I love my 09 Civic and will drive it until the wheels fall off, but I also love the 2017 CX-5, and we'll drive THAT until the wheels fall off, too.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Cieren wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:42 pm
I'll be honest, we never looked at the Equinox, due to reviews.

We recently bought a 2017 Mazda CX-5; we wouldn't normally buy new and it's not a great time for us to be getting into a car loan (ugh), but we pulled the trigger on the Mazda for numerous reasons (both financial and emotional).

We test drove the CR-V and the CX-5, as it came down to those two for us. Ultimately, the CR-V "felt" a bit peppier (probably because it has a turbo, but...those can die - and it's an expensive replacement) but the road noise killed it for us. We wanted/needed a vehicle with a quieter interior for longer car trips as the majority of our family lives 2+ hours away, and the Mazda is considerably quieter than the CR-V.

Points in Honda's favor: slightly better fuel consumption, better tech features, better overall options based on trim level.
Mazda: interior feels so much richer, quieter ride, feels more "car like" when you're driving it - for me - due to hood design. (If the CR-V had been as quiet, we'd have bought that instead.)

I love my 09 Civic and will drive it until the wheels fall off, but I also love the 2017 CX-5, and we'll drive THAT until the wheels fall off, too.
I just picked up a 2018 Outback Limited 2.5 on Tuesday, after checking out a bunch of small SUVs as well as low end luxury SUVs, coming from a 2012 RX350 and the 13 CX-5.

None of the Americans made my list. I test drove the CX-5, Tucson and CR-V as well. The new CX-5 has improved its noise level and push the interior to an Audi Q5 level (2017). It is also a driver's car, unlike the very practical CR-V. If it comes down to money, a comparable CX-5 lease is about $50 less, at 36 months vs. Honda's 39-months.

I went with the 2018 Outback for $367 over 36-month but the 2017 (selling like hot cakes) Honda is about $385 with 3 more months. To get the LED lights in the CR-V, one needs to to go to the Touring model, which is probably another $70 more (close to a used 2016/17 Q5). My Outback Limited has the extra LED option included with EyeSight. Maybe a 2018 CR-V could lessen the demand. To Honda's credit, its turbo 1.5 is lively and got tons of room, including the center console most women would want to put their handbag in; it's huge. Maybe its cheaper to buy the Honda than leasing. I went through Costco pricing on all 3 SUVs.

jacjacjac

Post by jacjacjac » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:46 pm

I have owned a 2013 Equinox since new. It has the 3.6L V6 rated at 301HP. Same engine as my 2015 Camaro, tuned a bit differently for 325HP. Note that these are both the LFX engine, a major redesign from the older V6 that was used in the Equinox and a much better engine.

Amazingly, I get 30 MPG on the highway with the Equinox. This is higher than the less powerful I4! Designed and tuned properly, a larger engine will loaf along at high speed sipping gas, while a smaller engine will have to work pretty hard and guzzle the gas. I've had no problems with the Equinox and plan to keep it for many years.

As for the new Equinox, I think it is a mistake and would avoid it, primarily because the the engine is way under-powered. It's going to have to work pretty hard all the time.

Jac

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:05 pm

atomicrc11 wrote:
If you're really curious, make a reservation with a car rental location that has one and drive it for a week. It will be well worth the few hundred dollars to see if you like before buying. I did this with my current car which is a Chevy Cruze. Chevy is also releasing a version this summer with a Diesel engine that will get 40mpg on the highway, which is far and away the best fuel economy for any small SUV.
While that is generally great advice, it just does not work on a new model. The vehicles will first be allocated to the dealer's lots and to corporate fleet orders before any rental car fleets will be granted access to them. I would exoect that it might be 6-9 months before they hit the car rental locations.

But ... it costs nothing to call around.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:54 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:05 pm
atomicrc11 wrote:
While that is generally great advice, it just does not work on a new model. The vehicles will first be allocated to the dealer's lots and to corporate fleet orders before any rental car fleets will be granted access to them. I would exoect that it might be 6-9 months before they hit the car rental locations.

But ... it costs nothing to call around.
Just me a colleague driving a rental 2018 Equinox out of Hertz Atlanta. Rented with 25 miles. So much for your theory.

schachtw

Post by schachtw » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:53 pm

I would never buy a GM product. Given their corporate behavior with the ignition recall effort a couple years ago, no way would I trust anything they built.

Just my $0.02

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:12 pm

schachtw wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:53 pm
I would never buy a GM product. Given their corporate behavior with the ignition recall effort a couple years ago, no way would I trust anything they built.

Just my $0.02
Most car manufacturers have skeletons, such as VW, Subaru, BMW, Audi (unintended acceleration), Hyundai (mpg overstated), Ford (Pintos), Chrysler (too many to mention), Toyota/Tanaka, Honda (transmission), etc.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:38 pm

Bought a new 2017 equinox and am happy so far. The 2017 is not turbocharged and does not have auto start/stop.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40 pm

no. its a chevy.

emoore

Post by emoore » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:38 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40 pm
no. its a chevy.
My point exactly. If it’s not Toyota or Honda then it’s considered crap here.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:38 am

emoore wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:38 pm
PFInterest wrote:
no. its a chevy.
There is a reason for that. Take a look at the Consumer Reports auto issue (April 2017) and you will understand.

Also, Motor Trend (August 2017) did a review of the Honda CR*V vs. the Mazda CX-5, and a separate review of the Chevrolet Equinox. Reading these, the Honda would be considered the best overall choice. I read somewhere (don't remember where) that the CR*V is the best selling SUV of any class. Why would anyone not want to buy the best in class?

Also, aside from Toyota or Honda, a lot of Bogleheads like the Subaru brand, especially the Outback.

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:45 am

munemaker wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:38 am
emoore wrote:
PFInterest wrote:
no. its a chevy.
There is a reason for that. Take a look at the Consumer Reports auto issue (April 2017) and you will understand.

Also, Motor Trend (August 2017) did a review of the Honda CR*V vs. the Mazda CX-5, and a separate review of the Chevrolet Equinox. Reading these, the Honda would be considered the best overall choice. I read somewhere (don't remember where) that the CR*V is the best selling SUV of any class. Why would anyone not want to buy the best in class?

Also, aside from Toyota or Honda, a lot of Bogleheads like the Subaru brand, especially the Outback.
People tend to take CR way too seriously. Plus it's not absolute reliability, it's all relative to other cars that year. So the fact that cars have gotten much more reliable over the last 10 to 20 years doesn't show up in the CR rankings. A bad reliability in 2017 could very well be much better than a good reliability ranking in 1997.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:35 am

emoore wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:45 am
munemaker wrote:
emoore wrote:
PFInterest wrote:
no. its a chevy.

People tend to take CR way too seriously. Plus it's not absolute reliability, it's all relative to other cars that year. So the fact that cars have gotten much more reliable over the last 10 to 20 years doesn't show up in the CR rankings. A bad reliability in 2017 could very well be much better than a good reliability ranking in 1997.
So what else would you use to make your buying decision? What's the alternative?

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:47 am

munemaker wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:35 am

So what else would you use to make your buying decision? What's the alternative?
People have to wind their way through to a preponderance of evidence and opinion. It could be that the Honda/Toyota(Lexus) thing is such a preponderance.

But it is a fact that every make and model on the road has tens or hundreds of thousands of autobuyers that chose that vehicle or the thing would not be for sale, so what can you say.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:23 am

emoore wrote:
PFInterest wrote:
no. its a chevy.
I own a 2015 Honda CR-V and needed a second, additional car for the family. They have gotten too expensive or I would own 2 CR-Vs.

There is nothing I can measure objectively or subjectively that is better about the 2018 Equinox I cheaply leased (other than the price). The Chevrolet isn't as comfortable for seating in any position for myself or my wife, it's not as quiet (even with active noise cancelling), it's not as smooth riding, engine/shifting is much less refined, and it's not as fast overall. I could go on, really. This is a temporary car for me, as the lease deal was superb.

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27 am

munemaker wrote:
emoore wrote:
munemaker wrote:
emoore wrote:
PFInterest wrote:
no. its a chevy.

I would test drive all the cars in the class and price range that I am looking at. I rank them according to the features I value; fun to drive, cargo space, MPG, etc. CR reliability comes up near last on my list. I have a 2011 VW GTI which according to CR is very bad reliability yet I've had 0 issues in 6+ years and 80k miles. I also have a 2015 Highlander and it's been to the dealer 3 times for warranty work but CR says it's one of the most reliable cars out there.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 am

emoore wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27 am
munemaker wrote:
emoore wrote:
munemaker wrote:
emoore wrote:

I would test drive all the cars in the class and price range that I am looking at. I rank them according to the features I value; fun to drive, cargo space, MPG, etc. CR reliability comes up near last on my list. I have a 2011 VW GTI which according to CR is very bad reliability yet I've had 0 issues in 6+ years and 80k miles. I also have a 2015 Highlander and it's been to the dealer 3 times for warranty work but CR says it's one of the most reliable cars out there.
Reliability is one of the most important characteristics to me. Merely taking a test drive doesn't tell you anything about the reliability. Consumer Reports collects and tabulates their subscribers' experience every year. Of course, every car does not have every problem, so your experience with the GTI may not be representative of the average GTI owner.

There is also a benefit to considering vehicle reviews and comparisons in the automotive press. I would never buy only based on such articles, but I would carefully consider the observations of experts who evaluate cars for a living.

Considering the collective experience of others and observations of experts, along with a test drive of competitive offerings is beneficial. Why not use all the available information in the decision process?

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:51 am

munemaker wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 am
emoore wrote:
munemaker wrote:
emoore wrote:
munemaker wrote:

Reliability is one of the most important characteristics to me. Merely taking a test drive doesn't tell you anything about the reliability. Consumer Reports collects and tabulates their subscribers' experience every year. Of course, every car does not have every problem, so your experience with the GTI may not be representative of the average GTI owner.

There is also a benefit to considering vehicle reviews and comparisons in the automotive press. I would never buy only based on such articles, but I would carefully consider the observations of experts who evaluate cars for a living.

Considering the collective experience of others and observations of experts, along with a test drive of competitive offerings is beneficial. Why not use all the available information in the decision process?
I do use all the available information that I can, including CR. But I also know that they are not the end all be all of reliability. They can list a car as unreliable based on things that wouldn't bother me (electronics especially). I also think most if not all cars are much more reliable today then 20 years ago so the risk of having a lemon is greatly reduced. Thus I don't put as much emphasis on reliability anymore. I just get frustrated that this forum seems to only accept Toyota, Honda and maybe Subaru. Anything else is looked upon as an inferior product. I just don't think that's the case.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:03 pm

The difficulty I have with CR ratings is that I am mostly interested in long term reliability and it is very difficult to reliably rate that on current models available for sale.

Anecdotal evidence is probably not much better, but here’s mine. I have a 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo (40,000 miles, my mom’s old car) and a 2005 Toyota Camry (125,000, until recently my daily driver). My two sons drive these cars now.

The Toyota has been close to bullet proof, only needing rear power window motors (each side). Since we have gotten the Monte Carlo, I’ve torn the dash out to replace the stepper motors on the instrument gauges which stopped working correctly (common problem with that era GM vehicle), tore the dash apart a second time to replace the turn signal / high beams multifunction switch (common problem #2 for GM - lights would just go out when you were driving). I’ve also replace the front sway bar and the transmission slips a bit sometimes.

So, from a pure reliability perspective, my vote would be Toyota or Honda - but then Toyota had their engine sludge problems and Honda had their excess oil consumption and motor mount issues with their VCM (variable cylinder management) system so who knows what your experience will be going forward? I do know that GM vehicles “feel” better than they used to.

As mentioned, reliability is just one part of the equation. I recently bought a GM certified 2014 Camaro to replace the Camry. Overall, it fit what I was looking for after 30 years of driving relatively practical cars. I am hoping long term reliability is good, hopefully as good as the Camry but realistically it probably won’t be. It is fun to drive and looks pretty good, though.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Couple comments about Consumer Report based on my recent decision on the 2018 Outback over other SUVs:

- real world MPG is better than CR stated in their 2017 New Car issue (mid year, not the April version)
- driving impression is very subjective and relative; it depends what one was used to or what one expects, among other factors

The factor of leasing vs. buying also impacts on decision. I would buy a 2017 CR-V but leasing was not worth it. Honda dealers in Jersey are demanding very high price and wanted 39-month lease, YMMV.

In my case, I never checked out the Big 3. If I have to pick one, it would have been a Buick.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:16 pm

emoore wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:51 am
munemaker wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 am
emoore wrote:
munemaker wrote:
emoore wrote:

I do use all the available information that I can, including CR. But I also know that they are not the end all be all of reliability. They can list a car as unreliable based on things that wouldn't bother me (electronics especially). I also think most if not all cars are much more reliable today then 20 years ago so the risk of having a lemon is greatly reduced. Thus I don't put as much emphasis on reliability anymore. I just get frustrated that this forum seems to only accept Toyota, Honda and maybe Subaru. Anything else is looked upon as an inferior product. I just don't think that's the case.
What do either of you think of US News & World Report, especially their Reliability ratings from JD Power? I used them as a source when evaluating my (now) new Yaris iA.

The thought of test driving every car in a given class is ludicrous in my world. We have 2 kids under 2 and we simply don't have the time to do that. I have to rely on the insights of others to make some sort of educated guess as to my top ___ (3, 5, whatever) list. The poster above who mentioned Toyotas being bullet-proof has also been my experience both with direct ownership, conversations with independent mechanics, and anecdotal evidence. They have a customer for life until a really earth-shattering revelation/reversal/re-organization happens.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:34 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:16 pm

What do either of you think of US News & World Report, especially their Reliability ratings from JD Power?
My understanding was the JD Power ratings are for "as delivered" quality, not long term reliability like CR. Someone chime in if I have that wrong.

jacjacjac

Post by jacjacjac » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:08 pm

munemaker wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:34 pm
Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:16 pm

What do either of you think of US News & World Report, especially their Reliability ratings from JD Power?
My understanding was the JD Power ratings are for "as delivered" quality, not long term reliability like CR. Someone chime in if I have that wrong.
Correct. JDPower rates Initial Build Quality. Also known as As Delivered. Although, they may have expanded their coverage since I last looked at them.

jacjacjac

Post by jacjacjac » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:12 pm

htdrag11 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:12 pm
- real world MPG is better than CR stated in their 2017 New Car issue (mid year, not the April version)
I agree. CR must drive their test vehicles very hard, as my actual mileage is always way better than theirs, no matter what vehicle.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:10 am

Lots of hate for Chevrolet here from Bogleheads. The 2018 equinox is redesigned. Its reliability is yet to be determined. GM made many lemons in the last century but IMO the GM quality has greatly improved. Consumer Reports always has had a Japanese bias on automobiles IMO. My son has an equinox bought new in 2002 that has been trouble free. His only complaint is the AWD has been hard on tires. I feel good about getting a new 2017 equinox with FWD at a good price because the 2018s are out concurrently. The equinox is primarily my wife's car and she loves it. Happy wife, happy life.
Best Wishes, SpringMan